PDA

View Full Version : Picked up some Libertads today...

ximmy
7th January 2011, 04:36 PM
Never bought any before... pretty nice roll of 20, dated 1985. (.80 over spot) ;D

mightymanx
7th January 2011, 05:29 PM
Way to go!!

I have always liked the look and heft of them myself.

MNeagle
7th January 2011, 05:35 PM
I don't know. Whenever I read their name, I always think/read "retards" for some reason.

And no, I'm not dyslexic!

Sparky
7th January 2011, 05:43 PM
You should post one of those beautiful Libertad's to the "Why Looking at Breasts is Healthy" thread. ;)

Kidding aside, nice looking silver rack, er, roll.

cedarchopper
7th January 2011, 05:47 PM
I like Libertads...from the oldest mint in the New World, and you bought them at the generic 1 oz round price. A roll of 20 Libertads would have cost you $33.03 ea. at Apmex

Carbon
7th January 2011, 07:45 PM
Never bought any before... pretty nice roll of 20, dated 1985. (.80 over spot) ;D

.80 over spot!? Care to divulge your source?

Rolls are miserable to find at a good price - ebay generally has one or two auctions at any given time, mostly BIN, but the premiums are prohibitive and worse than SAE rolls.

I watched four 1983 proof sets get snapped-up for +650.00 ea. within about 20 minutes of listing about a week ago... I kicked myself for blinking.

StackerKen
7th January 2011, 10:40 PM
Great Snag Ximmy! Congrats....good day to be buying too.

ximmy
7th January 2011, 11:17 PM

Rolls are miserable to find at a good price - ebay generally has one or two auctions at any given time, mostly BIN, but the premiums are prohibitive and worse than SAE rolls.

I watched four 1983 proof sets get snapped-up for +650.00 ea. within about 20 minutes of listing about a week ago... I kicked myself for blinking.

The dealer likes me... (not withstanding I've spend a ton of money there) and I play naive... LOL
The Libertads were in their original cardboard roll, after I bought them I tore them out on the counter... LOL... He's looking at me, "THEY JUST LOST VALUE!" he said... I said, "Maybe a couple dollars... I like to look at them..." ;D ;D ;D Then he gave me one of those square tubes to put them in.

Libertarian_Guard
7th January 2011, 11:53 PM

The dealer likes me... (not withstanding I've spend a ton of money there) and I play naive... LOL
The Libertads were in their original cardboard roll, after I bought them I tore them out on the counter... LOL... He's looking at me, "THEY JUST LOST VALUE!" he said... I said, "Maybe a couple dollars... I like to look at them..." ;D ;D ;D Then he gave me one of those square tubes to put them in.

If I remember correct, the original Mexican Libertads came in rolls of 10 coins.

Carbon
8th January 2011, 06:49 AM

Ugh... chicks!

mightymanx
8th January 2011, 08:27 AM
I tried to do the bat my eyes thing at my dealer, but since he is in his late 70's and looks like yoda. He was not inspired by a late 30's dude with a buzz cut.

I think he might have actualy charged me more.

JohnQPublic
8th January 2011, 10:21 AM
I like Libertads, but only have a few. I noticed that one of the breasts tends to get damaged when dealers stack them. I think this is the high point of the coin (no alternate interpretation intended).

woodman
9th January 2011, 12:26 AM
I don't know. Whenever I read their name, I always think/read "retards" for some reason.

And no, I'm not dyslexic!

Same thing happens to me. I think it has something to do with the unflattering name for libertarians. Libertards. Those are nice coins. I get off on silver with voluptuous figures on it. Mmmmm, shiney!

ximmy
10th January 2011, 11:22 AM

If I remember correct, the original Mexican Libertads came in rolls of 10 coins.

I don't know about that stuff... these were in rolled cardboard, like a thick toilet paper roll. On one side the edge was rolled & open-ended (that exposed coin has patina on it), the other side looked "cut" with a seal around it and a bank sticker thing. My best recollection... I should have kept it. Oh well.
ximy

SLV^GLD
10th January 2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.collectibles-articles.com/antique/collectible-image-large/1983-roll-silver-libertad-bullion-mexico-20-oz_250720072339.jpg

ximmy
10th January 2011, 12:57 PM
http://www.collectibles-articles.com/antique/collectible-image-large/1983-roll-silver-libertad-bullion-mexico-20-oz_250720072339.jpg

DUDE!!! ;D ;D ;D

big country
10th January 2011, 02:29 PM

Wow, those are sweet! I might have to get a few of them if I can find them for a good price. I usually stay away from foreign coins, but those I might just have to add to my collection.

ximmy
11th January 2011, 12:33 AM

Wow, those are sweet! I might have to get a few of them if I can find them for a good price. I usually stay away from foreign coins, but those I might just have to add to my collection.

Git some... nothing beats a good Libertard... :P

1970 silver art
11th January 2011, 04:30 AM
I used to have some Libertads but I sold them a long time ago and I used the proceeds to buy some 1-oz '70's silver art bars. ;D

MrSilverAG
1st February 2011, 02:48 AM
wow, some great pics! I really have to get some of these, every silver board I check people are talking about how much they love Libertads but I think now I can see the allure