PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration...from Email.

Ponce
10th January 2011, 09:48 AM
I wrote them a Email to find out about all this, I hope that it helps some of you.....please notice that the last change was made in 1960 where you have to be 67......they are bound to change it once again pretty soon.
================================================== =======

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration.

We use the formulas below, depending on your age, to determine how much your retirement benefit must be reduced when you earn wages:

If you are under full retirement age, when you start getting your Social Security payments, $1 in benefits will be deducted for each $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2010 and 2011, the limit is $14,160. Remember, the earliest age that you can receive Social Security retirement benefits remains 62 even though the full retirement age is rising.

In the year you reach your full retirement age, $1 in benefits will be deducted for each $3 you earn above a different limit, but only counting earnings before the month you reach full retirement age. For 2010 and 2011, the limit is $37,680.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you will get your benefits with NO limit on your earnings.

To determine the effect of the earnings test on your Social Security retirement benefits, access our convenient calculator at the following Internet address:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=178

Earned income is defined as income from wages or net earnings from self-employment. Pensions, 401K distributions, dividends, interest, and IRA distributions are NOT earned income.

To determine whether benefits must be withheld because of earnings from work, we consider an employee’s wages when earned rather than when paid. We generally count self-employment income, on the other hand, when received rather than when earned.

Social Security retirement benefits are reduced for each month of entitlement before a person’s full retirement age. However, if a person receives no benefits or only partial benefits for some months because of work, his or her payment amount is increased automatically after reaching full retirement age to give credit for those months.

SSA will have information on the 2012 earnings limits in October 2011. For information on the earnings limits for prior years, see

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/COLA/rtea.html

What is Your Full Retirement Age?

Year of Birth Full Retirement Age

1937 or earlier 65

1938 65 and 2 months

1939 65 and 4 months

1940 65 and 6 months

1941 65 and 8 months

1942 65 and 10 months

1943—1954 66

1955 66 and 2 months

1956 66 and 4 months

1957 66 and 6 months

1958 66 and 8 months

1959 66 and 10 months

1960 and later 67

From my questions to the Social security Administration........Poncde

MNeagle
10th January 2011, 10:08 AM
So Ponce, are you wondering how selling TP @ 1 oz silver will affect your SS?

Ponce
10th January 2011, 10:32 AM
Hahahahahahaah MNeagle.........for my X, she sells books over the internet and doing pretty good, but I want her to get in with the retirees before they change the rules..........if she were to get her Social Security now and then add the $14,160 limit to it it would then be better than waiting till she's 67 before getting full retirement.....she is now 60......I told her to apply for it at 61 1/2.......specially if in a couple of years they raise it to 68...........................no one is like Ponce who is going to live to be 132 ;D

PS: I won't sell my tp.........but........if I were to do so I would "trade" one roll for one oz.......that's not selling.