PDA

View Full Version : Russian Borscht soup.

RJB
10th January 2011, 05:18 PM
This has a very red broth and hearty flavor. It works nice around the holidays for my kids with the red and green colors. I make it differently everytime based on what's in the pantry and fridge but here is the basics-- All ingredience are fresh. I'm snowed in, so this will sit on the back burner on low heat for a few days. Each day it gets better (add more water as it evaporates.)

1 lbs to 2 lbs of chopped meat (beef, lamb, I used venison today)
A few cloves of garlic. I like a lot 3 - 10
A large onion.

Chop and stir fry in oil (butter, olive etc.) in a dutch oven (or crock pot) until onions are soft but not burnt.

Add (pre-chopped) (approximates):
2 or 3 tomatos,
3 red beets (put the leaves aside),
a head of cabbage.
Today I added okra (add squash etc. if you like), but cabbage, beets and tomato are the basics.

Add about a 1/4 cup of red wine,
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar,
juice of a fresh squeezed lemon,
a couple bay leaves,
add stock (or water) to just cover and heat to a simmer, and the let stew on low for a while. Add salt, pepper, other spices to taste.

15 minutes before serving add chopped up red beet leaves.

Taste and add salt or spices that seem to be missing and serve garnished with dill.

crazychicken
10th January 2011, 08:18 PM
We spent two years in Europe, the eastern bloc. The biggest house I've ever had was a new five story five bedroom masonary house. Magnificent. We had a Polish cook, a housekeeper and a babysitter, all full time.

The Polish cook's recipe for Borsht was somewhat like this one except used Gravy Master instead of the beef and didn't use the beet leaves at the end.

We are going to try it your way and compare.

Thank you for the post.

CC

This has a very red broth and hearty flavor. It works nice around the holidays for my kids with the red and green colors. I make it differently everytime based on what's in the pantry and fridge but here is the basics-- All ingredience are fresh. I'm snowed in, so this will sit on the back burner on low heat for a few days. Each day it gets better (add more water as it evaporates.)

1 lbs to 2 lbs of chopped meat (beef, lamb, I used venison today)
A few cloves of garlic. I like a lot 3 - 10
A large onion.

Stir fry in oil (butter, olive etc.) in a dutch oven (or crock pot) until onions are soft but not burnt.

Add (pre-chopped) (approximates):
2 or 3 tomatos,
3 red beets (put the leaves aside),
a head of cabbage.
Today I added okra (add squash etc. if you like), but cabbage, beets and tomato are the basics.

Add about a 1/4 cup of red wine,
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar,
juice of a fresh squeezed lemon,
a couple bay leaves,
add stock (or water) to just cover and heat to a simmer, and the let stew on low for a while. Add salt, pepper, other spices to taste.

15 minutes before serving add chopped up red beet leaves.

Taste and add salt or spices that seem to be missing and serve garnished with dill.

Antonio
1st March 2011, 07:19 PM
Don`t forget that back in Imperial Russia Borscht was the ultimate canned food. We would freeze barrels of it in the winter and then chop off a chunk with an axe and heat it up.

chud
2nd March 2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for posting your recipe RJB.