PDA

View Full Version : It costs over 9 cents to make a 5 cent nickel

Silver Rocket Bitches!
11th January 2011, 08:03 AM
Got nickels? Soon they will be forced to remove or severely lower the content of nickel within the five cent piece.

For the fifth year in a row, it cost the United States Mint more than face value to produce and distribute the cent and nickel. For the fiscal year ending, September 30, 2010, the unit cost for the cent was 1.79 cents and the cost of the nickel was 9.22 cents.

For the one cent coin, this represents the highest unit cost on record. Each penny has a composition of 2.5% copper and 97.5% zinc. Although the metal value of each newly minted cent remains below face value, the process of manufacture and distribution push costs higher. For the fiscal year, production of the smallest denomination generated a loss of $27.4 million.

The cost of producing the nickel, remained slightly below the peak of 9.53 cents per coin, reached for the 2007 fiscal year. Each nickel has a composition of 75% copper and 25% nickel. The metal value of a nickel is approximately 6.5 cents. For the current year, production of the denomination resulted in a loss of $15.2 million.

http://news.coinupdate.com/cost-to-make-penny-nickel-0619/

chad
11th January 2011, 08:06 AM
collecting bricks of nickels is the one gs-us activity i partake in that even i think is crazytown. :taunt:

Spectrism
11th January 2011, 08:12 AM
Reading the comments, most think they need to devalue the coins to keep pace with the fiat. They have it backwards. There should be an established means of maintaining the value of the fiat to match the coin.

We all know that won't happen as the banksters steal the inflation difference.

This points back to CONgress needing to do their job and regulate the nation's money.... not give it to the private banksters via the federal reserve.

Bullion_Bob
11th January 2011, 09:33 AM
Calling Mr. Gresham....Earth to Gresham. We have your coins over...

Ponce
11th January 2011, 10:01 AM
Just think about Ponce and his 90 bricks of nickel ;D.

madfranks
11th January 2011, 10:36 AM
If only we got 5 cents of value for everything the government spends 9 cents on.

For what it's worth, I'd rather have stacks of silver than bricks of nickel. They both increase in their nominal value due to inflation.

Ponce
11th January 2011, 10:48 AM
Well Frank you know me.......a plan behind the plan behind the plan?........because no one really knows what is going to happen I want to be ready for anything that might happen.......I have all the silver that I either want or need so that loose change and specially nickels is part of my plans.

madfranks
11th January 2011, 10:52 AM
Well Frank you know me.......a plan behind the plan behind the plan?........because no one really knows what is going to happen I want to be ready for anything that might happen.......I have all the silver that I either want or need so that loose change and specially nickels is part of my plans.

Yeah, and you can't buy silver for 5/9ths it's metal value, so maybe there is something to it... I think I might buy a few bricks of nickels. :)

Sparky
11th January 2011, 10:54 AM
Collecting pennies and nickels is like a GSUS rite of membership, based on principle. I don't go out of my way to buy bricks, but I sort nickels and copper pennies out of my change. I don't expect it to make me wealthy.

As a matter of fact, I am now reluctant to spend any change, because at least it contains some intrinsic value. Even zinc at $1 per pound is getting too expensive for the U.S. mint's bottom line. A quarter contains 6 cents of metal; a twenty dollar bill contains 1 cent of paper.

I remember Ponce writing years ago that he doesn't spend any of his change. Still true Ponce?

Ponce
11th January 2011, 11:17 AM
Haven't use any of my loose change sinse 1977........ Sparky, is not a matter of being "rich" but one of being to buy something with what you have.....between paper fiat and metal coins I would choose the coins.

Horn
11th January 2011, 11:30 AM
If only we got 5 cents of value for everything the government spends 9 cents on.

To da moon with nickels, we need some rockets on this thread.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
11th January 2011, 12:35 PM
Despite all its flaws as a metal, there is always a demand for nickle.

Ponce
11th January 2011, 12:38 PM

Can I be the pilot of the space ship "The Nickel" ??????

chad
11th January 2011, 12:39 PM
i don't understand what it's used for industrially. what do they use it for?

Ponce
11th January 2011, 12:46 PM
Well Chad, the "Nickel" says it all..........do a search on "Nickel"..........Cuba is very rich on Nickel and we are selling it to Russia.

Winston Smith
11th January 2011, 12:47 PM
http://www.nickelinstitute.org/index.cfm/ci_id/13.htm

JohnQPublic
11th January 2011, 12:57 PM

Here you go, Cap'n Ponce!

http://gold-silver.us/forum/gallery/1_11_01_11_3_19_07.jpeg

http://gold-silver.us/forum/gallery/1_11_01_11_3_56_54.jpeg

JohnQPublic
11th January 2011, 01:27 PM
i don't understand what it's used for industrially. what do they use it for?

Stainless steel (18-8 = 18% Cr, 8% Ni, balance Fe plus maybe a few other things like Mo)
Super Alloys (Hi temp. nickel based alloys like Hastalloy, Inconel, etc.)
Nickel plating
Electrical conductors
Nichrome (nickel chromium heating elements, look in your hair dryer)
catalysts

To mention a few.

madfranks
11th January 2011, 01:28 PM
According to coinflation, right now the metal content of the nickel is worth $0.06666. And the actual nickel content of a nickel is only worth $0.03. It's the 75% copper that gives it the other $0.036. So technically, it's both copper and nickel that make the metal content worth more than face.

JohnQPublic
11th January 2011, 01:33 PM
Certain Canadian pre 1982 nickels are the best. They are pure nickel. Based on your coinflation numbers, a Canadian nickel of the same weight as a US one (not sure if this is do) would be worth about $0.12 .

Twisted Titan
11th January 2011, 01:51 PM
Its 1964 all over again.............and only one person in a million recognizes it.

I "rob" banks daily.

T

Son-of-Liberty
11th January 2011, 03:25 PM
Certain Canadian pre 1982 nickels are the best. They are pure nickel. Based on your coinflation numbers, a Canadian nickel of the same weight as a US one (not sure if this is do) would be worth about $0.12 .

Coinflation has a Canadian page as well.

1955 - 1981 Nickel $0.05 $0.1109764

http://www.coinflation.com/canada/

Ponce
11th January 2011, 03:37 PM
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLl John.................that was soooooooooooooooo great, both of them hahahaahahahah, I wonder is Bamboni can make it better.........nawwwwww I don't think so hahahaahahahah.

madfranks
11th January 2011, 04:27 PM
Its 1964 all over again.............and only one person in a million recognizes it.

I "rob" banks daily.

T

Nah, there's a big difference. A silver dime back then (and today) would buy you a could of cans of food. A nickel, even if it's intrinsically worth 7 cents, isn't worth it for most people to bother with.

Ponce
11th January 2011, 05:18 PM
Franks?.......... not only nickels but ALL change will become very valuable........as of yet I haven't been wrong on any of my predictions.............but.........time will tell.

Sparky
11th January 2011, 09:03 PM

I "rob" banks daily.

T

Nah, there's a big difference. A silver dime back then (and today) would buy you a could of cans of food. A nickel, even if it's intrinsically worth 7 cents, isn't worth it for most people to bother with.

True, but in 1964, an hour's hard labor would pay you 5 dimes. Today the same hour will pay you 200 nickels.

Also back then, the melt value of the coin never exceeded its face value while it was being minted. It wasn't until 1967 that the melt value jumped to almost 2x. Then the silver melting ban was put into place until 1969. By 1971, the melt value was almost back down to face value, at 1.1x. By 1974 as inflation accelerated it was 3.5x. In contrast, the U.S. mint continues to produce nickels at a face value loss.

But your point is taken, that the nickel opportunity will not rival the silver coin opportunity.

Any guesses when the last copper nickel will be minted? I'll guess 2012.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
12th January 2011, 07:52 AM
The 5 cent euro piece uses steel. I suspect the US will head down that road within the next few years.

Horn
13th January 2011, 11:56 AM

Here you go, Cap'n Ponce!

http://gold-silver.us/forum/gallery/1_11_01_11_3_19_07.jpeg

http://gold-silver.us/forum/gallery/1_11_01_11_3_56_54.jpeg

I like the TP is money banner Ponce holds.

Twisted Titan
13th January 2011, 12:09 PM
I wanted 40 dollars in nickles today

After searching 4 tills and a back room I had settle on 20 dollars worth.

Gershams Law is speeding up.

Ponce
13th January 2011, 12:50 PM
And as time goes by and people learn what is going to happen there will be less and less of the "real" nickels...........same way that silver coins went bye bye.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
13th January 2011, 01:16 PM
Whenever I get change back from a cashier I ask if I can receive it in nickels. A few strange looks but they usually comply.

Ponce
13th January 2011, 02:13 PM
My bank will no longer give me any nickels......oh well, what I have is what I have and happy to have ;D

chad
13th January 2011, 02:20 PM
my wife is not amused by the nickel boxes. i have taken to hiding them in places she will never look, such as the shed housing the lawnmower.

Horn
13th January 2011, 03:41 PM
My bank will no longer give me any nickels......oh well, what I have is what I have and happy to have ;D

Time to go to another Bank, Ponce.

Isn't there is a law that you can only melt them in China after they gain control of the lower 48?

Ponce
13th January 2011, 03:45 PM
Chad? .......my answer is a simple one.......let your wife hold a brick of nickels in her right hand and a $100.00 bill in her left had and then asked here which one feel more like real "money".....then tell her the uses for nickels and the ones for the $100.00. bill......................if she still persist in saying that you are wrong then I am glad that she's your wife and not mine >:(