PDA

View Full Version : About practice shooting................ by me

Ponce
12th January 2011, 10:29 PM
I keep reading as to how many times some people go out to practice shooting targets.....and I don't understand the need for it unless you do it for fun and have the money to buy all that ammo...........I for one go out once every six months or once a year and even only once every two years, I do it to check out my sites and nothing else........at 100, 500 and 1,000 yards and usually only five bullets for each distance.

Do you guys do it because you think that it will improved you shooting skills or what?

Heimdhal
12th January 2011, 10:41 PM
I keep reading as to how many times some people go out to practice shooting targets.....and I don't understand the need for it unless you do it for fun and have the money to buy all that ammo...........I for one go out once every six months or once a year and even only once every two years, I do it to check out my sites and nothing else........at 100, 500 and 1,000 yards and usually only five bullets for each distance.

Do you guys do it because you think that it will improved you shooting skills or what?

What are you using to shoot out to 1,000? I mean, what kind of rifle, optics (or irons???) and what are the load specs if you're using hand loads? What kind of MOA are you getting out at 500 and 1,000?

I practice as regularly as I can, which is admitedly not that much nowadays, supplimenting with airsoft/bb guns to fine tune grip and trigger pull. I dont get to shoot long distance as often as I'd like so practicing NPOA positions and breath control on simulated targets are what I do to make up for it.

Practice makes perfect and its fun to practice. I'd hate owning guns only to shoot 5 shots out of them every couple years. I dont own safe queens.

horseshoe3
13th January 2011, 06:25 AM

That depends. If you just go out to blast through some ammo, you won't be improving anything. If you go out with the goal of improving and pay attention to your form and sight picture, practice will help a lot. Of course, you have to know what you are doing before you start and/or have a competent instructor - practicing bad form only reinforces bad form.

And then, there are the naturally gifted shots like you, who can shoot 10 rounds per year at 1000 yards and maintain proficiency.

gunDriller
13th January 2011, 06:46 AM
i think a lot of people do it for fun.

it does cost, though. i went shooting with another GIM'er and i estimated that we shot about $80 worth of bullets - in 2 hours.

to make sure the gun works and that your sights are correct - how many shots are called for ?

Road Runner
13th January 2011, 07:16 AM

We trade TP for bullets!! just kidding, couldn't resist since everyone teases you about TP.
It is fun Ponce to have a competition sometimes. We have one each year at our family reunion. All our kids and several of our grandkids are gun owners and all love to shoot/hunt. Our extended family live in cities so love to bring their guns out here in the wide open spaces to shoot. We make it a really fun/learning experience for all. Several neighbors out here also get together at times to share a new gun or shoot some. I know I have improved my shooting skills practicing, I even split some wood for a neighbor while trying out his gun.

SLV^GLD
13th January 2011, 07:32 AM
to make sure the gun works and that your sights are correct - how many shots are called for ?
That's like asking how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop. The question can be indefinitely extended to, "does the gun still work after XX# of rounds" or "does the gun work with this ammo and if so for how many rounds.

If I'm shooting solo it is almost strictly for improvement on draws and firing while seeking cover. I don't shoot rifles solo very often. I do a lot of solo work with a shotgun.

I prefer shooting with a group and prefer even more if members of the group also bring firearms. If the group is well armed and competent the amount of fun to be had is unlimited. You get to try new guns and you can focus more on shooting and not getting shot like you do when it's a group of newbies and the guns are all yours (meaning you have to clean them).

Last time I went out shooting with a group was after New Year's and it was snowing hard. I've not done much inclement weather shooting and it was rather enlightening to discover how much more difficult the entire process is when you are cold, the weather is wet, visibility is low and the gun is unfamiliar. Food for thought for those who consider that trouble finds you when you least expect it.

I, too would like to hear what exactly Ponce is using to make any accuracy at 1000 yards and how he keeps his acumen only shooting it once a year.

As for costs, I keep a field box with ammo for each caliber in amounts suitable for an outing. I refill the box when I get back home. In this way, I can at least limit the amount of ammo expended in a given outing.

Awoke
13th January 2011, 07:40 AM
Until you can put 10 in the black at 20 yards, in a combat-realisitc time frame: keep practicing.

Like everything Ponce: Practice makes perfect.

Youtube search "Magpul Dynamics Handgun" and watch that.

Dogman
13th January 2011, 07:42 AM
I can see where ponce comes from , If you spend a lifetime shooting and if you do not change anything , the guns , the ammo, and your memory is good. Or you have the sighting "Dope" for
the target yardage, nothing changes, except the shooter and possibly the weather.

So I can see five shots for each range , it is not for trying to make bug holes, but more of a refresher, in muscle memory.

IMO

still afloat
13th January 2011, 07:44 AM
I even split some wood for a neighbor while trying out his gun.

We always used an Axe when splitting wood although I have seen a telephone pole cut down with a 300 Weatherby mag.

Dogman
13th January 2011, 07:46 AM
I even split some wood for a neighbor while trying out his gun.

We always used an Axe when splitting wood although I have seen a telephone pole cut down with a 300 Weatherby mag.

Do not forget the countless trees that fall , to target practice. ;D

Ponce
13th January 2011, 08:51 AM
Well, for the 1'000 yards I use my "Remington 700 BDL 30-06" but many times I try it with the "Remington 700 BDL .243"......and dogman said it as it is, nothing ever changes if you are where you should be.

To much forest around here to use the 30-06 as the main battle weapon, more handy is the shoot gun for the immidiate area and the mini 14 for a walk about.

SLV?..........I live alone, shoot alone and will die alone..........and this way I know that if I f*ck up is not because of some idiot that wanted to play at being John Wayne........I know the woods and all nooks and holes for a radious of two miles from my home.

Heimdhal
13th January 2011, 09:50 AM
Well, for the 1'000 yards I use my "Remington 700 BDL 30-06" but many times I try it with the "Remington 700 BDL .243"......and dogman said it as it is, nothing ever changes if you are where you should be.

To much forest around here to use the 30-06 as the main battle weapon, more handy is the shoot gun for the immidiate area and the mini 14 for a walk about.

SLV?..........I live alone, shoot alone and will die alone..........and this way I know that if I f*ck up is not because of some idiot that wanted to play at being John Wayne........I know the woods and all nooks and holes for a radious of two miles from my home.

You shooting irons with that or with optics?

Ponce
13th January 2011, 10:31 AM
1,000 yards?.........scope of course.......can't even see 200 yards infront of me.......but.......I do have something that no one else has........I think........I have two micro gimballs, one at the front and one at the back that when I press a button will keep my rifle steady as a rock, it works with four AAA and the total weight is of less than 16 oz and I came up with the idea about twelve years ago...........I was going to give it to the army for free for the .50 caliber but then I changed my mind..........as a garage inventor I like to experiment with things, small things and nothing to make the national news.......but they all work.

As I mention a while ago, because I try to live now as I would WTSHTF I was getting my water by gravity ,all the way from the creek, but there was not much water preassure.....yesterday I placed a sumergible water pump in the tank and I am using a remoted control garage opener to start the pump, on and off, at will.....so that now it works by gravity or with the water pump.......next step to attach my 12 V water pump that will work from a 12 v battery and a solar pannel.............first time in six months last night that I was able to take a real shower in my bathtube hahahahahahahah.

Ponce
13th January 2011, 03:54 PM
I wonder how many of you do as I do when shooting.......I was tought to hold my breath when shooting a rifle but on my own I found out that IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND, you EXHALE........the reason for this?......
your body acts like a drum that amplifices the beat of your heart or even the blood running thrue out your body........being empy of air means having a more solid body and you will sway less........comments?

Heimdhal
13th January 2011, 04:08 PM
I wonder how many of you do as I do when shooting.......I was tought to hold my breath when shooting a rifle but on my own I found out that IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND, you EXHALE........the reason for this?......
your body acts like a drum that amplifices the beat of your heart or even the blood running thrue out your body........being empy of air means having a more solid body and you will sway less........comments?

There are a few different ways to shoot with respritory pause. Some like to let half a breath out, some like to take half a breath in. What I recomend to most, and use myself and is the most common is breath out. This way you will consitently attain the same natural point of aim (NPOA) with each breath instead of having minor variations from breath to breath if you're trying to hold it.

ALso, as you say, it amplifies heart rate and muscle shiver.

Ponce, OT, if you're truly consistently shooting at 1,000 yards with a rem 700 only shooting 15 shots every year or so you need to start entering into some competition. Youll make a good chunk of money with that skill.

I know a handfull of people that can shoot that distance consistently, maybe less than a handfull and I've met a good amount of long distance shooters from Florida/Ga and have watched 1,000 yard matches and they certainly go through much much much more ammo and practice than that. Making 1 shot at 1,000 yards is A LOT different than making consitent and repeated shots at 1,000 yards.

Ponce
13th January 2011, 04:50 PM
Nawwwwwww, they would not let me use my invention with the gimballs......besides, I can't leave my property.....by the time that I get back all that I would find would be an empty lot hahahahaha, last time that it was about six months ago when I went to my (now gone) farm in Agentina and gave the guy across the street money to keep an eye on it........the is no one there now and no one else around..... I made myself a slave of what I own......like my tp? hahahahahahah.

po boy
13th January 2011, 08:33 PM
Went to the range today 50 rds of 45 between 2 shooters same weapon new to both a couple of bulls-eyes and done.

Bolt rifle 100-200 yds 2 shooters sights still good 15 rounds max.

Semi auto 30 rounds 1-200 yds sight on done.

waste not......

Awoke
14th January 2011, 05:15 AM
My wife and I go to our pistol range at least once a week if not more. Each visit is a minimum of 50 rds each. We have been doing this for a while, and only now am I seeing improvement in my shooting.

Bottom line is, if you are not already a marksman, and you want to be able to shoot with accuracy under a "Dynamic stress situation", you need to get out and consistently practice.
Shooting once a year will do barely anything to sustain your current skills and will do nothing to improve them.

Quad
15th January 2011, 01:51 PM
I began shooting a couple of years ago, with a DA revolver, but last Summer I largely abandoned it, and began focusing on semi-automatics.

So . . . this past week I broke out my trusty ol’ Ruger SP101 . . . and was appalled by how badly my DA revolver skills had deteriorated.

To make matters worse, when I went back to shooting my Glock I found that suddenly I was having trouble shooting it with any degree of accuracy.
(5.5 pound trigger, to 12 pound trigger, and then back again. Try it sometime.)

I was so distraught and distracted that I promptly proceeded to “limp wrist” the Glock and experience my very first failure to extract and double feed.

Not a good day at the range.

If you start shooting beyond age 40, like I did, any skill you gain is likely to be hard won, and rapidly lost.

Heimdhal
15th January 2011, 02:08 PM
I began shooting a couple of years ago, with a DA revolver, but last Summer I largely abandoned it, and began focusing on semi-automatics.

So . . . this past week I broke out my trusty ol’ Ruger SP101 . . . and was appalled by how badly my DA revolver skills had deteriorated.

To make matters worse, when I went back to shooting my Glock I found that suddenly I was having trouble shooting it with any degree of accuracy.
(5.5 pound trigger, to 12 pound trigger, and then back again. Try it sometime.)

I was so distraught and distracted that I promptly proceeded to “limp wrist” the Glock and experience my very first failure to extract and double feed.

Not a good day at the range.

If you start shooting beyond age 40, like I did, any skill you gain is likely to be hard won, and rapidly lost.

Classic symptom of not enough Dry Fire.

Cure: Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire then rinse and repeat. 20 minutes a night (or as much as your hand can take at first) 3-4 nights a week to begin. Dry fire and dry fire some more. It wont hurt the gun at all, get some snap caps if you're worried it may.

Itll help you, I promise ;)

Heimdhal
15th January 2011, 03:38 PM
Ponce, sometimes its a little hard to descern, for us mere mortals, where the man ends and the legend he has built around himself begins.

;)

Dogman
15th January 2011, 03:45 PM
Ponce, sometimes its a littler hard to descern, for us mere mortals, where the man ends and the legend he has built around himself begins.

;)

Which end ?

From the tips of toes or the top of head?

:ROFL:

|--0--|

SWRichmond
24th January 2011, 08:16 PM

This is one serious drawback of the vaunted Glock and its lightweight cousins, especially the new fad-driven ones that are even smaller, lighter, and shorter-barreled. The recoil cycle has been so finely tuned and is so short, and the gun is so light, that if you do not grip it firmly it will short-cycle and fail to function. Stress, anyone?

SWRichmond
24th January 2011, 08:18 PM

So, when you get a moment, tell us about how you learned to read the wind by shooting 5 shots per session at 1,000 to "check out your sights."