PDA

View Full Version : Possible Ebay Score w/ 1852 Gold $2.5 Coin

madfranks
15th January 2011, 06:15 PM
I landed an 1852 $2.50 gold quarter eagle on ebay for spot price (about $170). When I received the coin, I was very impressed to have what looks like a mint state example. Both obverse and reverse fields are very clean with little to no marks at all, and all the details seem to be in very good shape. I sent the coin in to be graded, and am really hoping for an MS-63 or higher. If I get the 63, the coin has obtained "gem" status and the redbook value for one of these is $2000. If I get the grade, I'm going to sell the coin and pick up a whole ounce of au in exchange.

mamboni
15th January 2011, 06:23 PM
I landed an 1852 $2.50 gold quarter eagle on ebay for spot price (about $170). When I received the coin, I was very impressed to have what looks like a mint state example. Both obverse and reverse fields are very clean with little to no marks at all, and all the details seem to be in very good shape. I sent the coin in to be graded, and am really hoping for an MS-63 or higher. If I get the 63, the coin has obtained "gem" status and the redbook value for one of these is $2000. If I get the grade, I'm going to sell the coin and pick up a whole ounce of au in exchange.

Congrats!

(I assume you bit the coin to make sure it's real ;D ;D ;D)

madfranks
15th January 2011, 06:43 PM
Ha ha, I'd be upset if I bit the coin and ended up putting a couple nice gouges in what otherwise is an exceptional specimen. I'm counting on the professional coin graders to verify all is right with the coin, and I've got my fingers crossed for that high grade!

I forgot to take pics of the raw coin, but I'll post pics when I get it back, should be next week some time.

willie pete
15th January 2011, 06:50 PM
Outstanding....snag.....I find it hard to believe anyone would let it go for that... :D

chad
21st January 2011, 03:11 PM
Outstanding....snag.....I find it hard to believe anyone would let it go for that... :D

i don't know, some dumbass sold me a 1/10 gae at a gas station for $20 a while back. probably stolen, but hey, what do you do? :whistle

madfranks
25th January 2011, 12:34 PM
Ha ha, well it looks like my enthusiasm for the coin was a bit too much. It came back as an AU-55, which is not bad, but short of the MS I was hoping for. The difference between an AU-55 and an MS-63 is about $1500, so grade really does matter. I could still sell it for more than twice what I paid, but for now I'm just going to keep it. Here are some pics:

k-os
25th January 2011, 02:13 PM
Ha ha, well it looks like my enthusiasm for the coin was a bit too much. It came back as an AU-55, which is not bad, but short of the MS I was hoping for. The difference between an AU-55 and an MS-63 is about $1500, so grade really does matter. I could still sell it for more than twice what I paid, but for now I'm just going to keep it. Here are some pics:

Still, nothing to complain about. I'd like mine to double in value in a matter of days. Good job!

Neuro
25th January 2011, 02:19 PM
Ok so now you can bite it! :D