PDA

View Full Version : Weed Preventer

StackerKen
16th January 2011, 07:25 PM
Anyone ever use this stuff?

Does it work?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aTDhhiEtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Preen-Vegetable-Garden-Weed-Preventer/dp/B000BQONLA

or what would you recommend to reduce the amount of weeds that need to be pulled in my raised beds this year?

osoab
17th January 2011, 10:33 AM
I put down a layer of newspaper and then cover over with straw.
Works well.

Keep moisture in and the soil friable.
The remaining stuff at the end of the season either gets worked into the soil/beds or added to compost pile.

gunDriller
25th January 2011, 06:41 AM
or what would you recommend to reduce the amount of weeds that need to be pulled in my raised beds this year?

the way i look at it, weeds are not necessarily bad.

sometimes, i use them to tell me where to plant. i dig up the weed, then plant the new plant in the same location.

also, some weeds are great at breaking up the soil. for example, wild radishes. the root kind of pushes the soil out - then when the plant dies, there is space in the soil. sort of like aerating it.

personally, i don't like to sweat the weeds too much. i've used sheets of black plastic and sheets of plywood to control them.

but, when they show up, they make a good contribution to the compost pile (assuming it heats up enough to kill the weed seeds).

osoab
25th January 2011, 04:21 PM

the way i look at it, weeds are not necessarily bad.

sometimes, i use them to tell me where to plant. i dig up the weed, then plant the new plant in the same location.

also, some weeds are great at breaking up the soil. for example, wild radishes. the root kind of pushes the soil out - then when the plant dies, there is space in the soil. sort of like aerating it.

personally, i don't like to sweat the weeds too much. i've used sheets of black plastic and sheets of plywood to control them.

but, when they show up, they make a good contribution to the compost pile (assuming it heats up enough to kill the weed seeds).

Your weeds are definitely better than mine. :D

Pig weed, Morning glory, Button weed, volunteer tomatoes, wheat from my straw, creeping charlie, violets, maple saplings, etc, etc. Now, a few of these were due to me (maters and wheat), but the rest can be spread far and wide easily.

I am doing my best with the new raised beds to stop the weed issue. I also plan on pulling dandelions to dry the root this year too. Probably won't get to all of them.