PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with depression?

BillBoard
18th January 2011, 08:03 AM
The weather is not helping. Woke up today with a deep sense of sorrow, which I have never experienced before.

Came in to the shop and didn't even want to turn on the lights. Sent everyone that still works with us home.

Looking forward to Colombia, but still cannot believe all these years of hard work will just end like a flicker from a wasted candle.

I feel deeply sad.

Antonio
18th January 2011, 08:05 AM
Physical exercise, run around the block a few times.

Ares
18th January 2011, 08:07 AM
Vitamin D3 helps tremendously for seasonal depression.

Horn
18th January 2011, 08:13 AM
The weather is not helping. Woke up today with a deep sense of sorrow, which I have never experienced before.

Came in to the shop and didn't even want to turn on the lights. Sent everyone that still works with us home.

Looking forward to Colombia, but still cannot believe all these years of hard work will just end like a flicker from a wasted candle.

I feel deeply sad.

I've been through something similar to that.

Back in Costa Rica again giving it another go from a different angle this time.

Your right, the weather is a tremendous boost to the outlook. The rainy season here lasts about 4-5 months.

Its sunny & about 80 now.

About 3 years ago I was working in a company of 30 that had grown from 3 people (me included).

Now I hear its back down to around 5.

I elected to get out before that happened.

nunaem
18th January 2011, 08:14 AM
Try a low carb diet. Less than 20 grams carbs a day. It will be hard at first but then you will feel great.

Antonio
18th January 2011, 08:17 AM
Getting laid helps too, vitamin P (p**sy).

k-os
18th January 2011, 08:27 AM
BillBoard, I am sorry about what you are going through with the loss of your business. I am still a little heart-broken over my business venture of nearly two decades ago. It was the worst break-up of my life - and it was business, not romantic.

I agree with others who recommend exercise. Also, don't deny your feelings. If you need to be alone to let them out, that's fine. Just feel them, and then let them go. Otherwise, the feelings will crop up at inopportune or inappropriate times.

Once you've done that, look forward. If the trip to Colombia is in a month, find something next week to look forward to. (I don't have a lot of cold weather experience, but get creative.) How about a project that will make you feel good about it when you're done?

Best of luck to you. Remember that this too shall pass. |--0--|

BillBoard
18th January 2011, 08:38 AM
Thank you all.

Celtic Rogue
18th January 2011, 08:41 AM
Vitamin D3 and exercise. Sit in a sunny widow have a cup... Always makes me feel well!

I believe vitamin D3 is a wonder substance that can have profound influence on keeping our bodies healthy.

Vitamin D3 is a miracle drug IMHO. It not really a drug or a vitamin as such... Technically not a "vitamin," vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that is the key that unlocks binding sites on the human genome. The human genome contains more than 2,700 binding sites for calcitriol; those binding sites are near genes involved in virtually every known major disease of humans

I take 10000 IU a day... and have been for over three years. I take it along with calcium/magnesium, krill oil and vitamin c. It has been rare if any that I have gotten the seasonal flu or other illnesses that others around me have gotten.

nunaem
18th January 2011, 08:47 AM
As far as exercise goes, very high intensity is best. For instance circuit training.

Upbeat music is good too. As is any kind of upbeat entertainment. Stay away from the tragedies obviously.

Look at the testosterone thread in the health forum. High testosterone levels are related to feelings of well-being.

RJB
18th January 2011, 08:52 AM
Good advice above.

In winter, replace 60 watt bulbs with 75 watt, if safe. This is one time I put aside my cheapskate ways. Light is good for well being.

Treat yourself to an acupuncture, massage, or chiropractic treatment. My acupuncturist is a miracle worker.

Avoid booze and drugs. These mask it.

This is easier said than done because a business becomes who we are, but it isn't. It's just a stage in life. Start looking for your new horizon. This isn't the end, it's a beginning.

Eat some spicy foods. Red Thai curry and kimchi give me a healthy high.

ShortJohnSilver
18th January 2011, 08:52 AM
Go to Costco, buy a Verilux "happy light" - gives you something approximating sunlight. Might help you a bit.

solid
18th January 2011, 08:54 AM
Best of luck to you. Remember that this too shall pass. |--0--|

Yup, this too shall pass.

While I can't relate personally to the loss of a business, I can see how working towards a goal and having to mourn the loss of that goal.

Sometimes it seems like we take one step forward in life, only to take two steps backwards. The thing to remember is to always keep moving forward.

When the wind changes direction, or stops completely, it's time to sit back, take a look at the present time, and where you want to go in the future. Take what works, do a little trimming and get back on course. When the wind starts blowing again, and you start moving forward, it's great to know you on the course that you have set for yourself. There's nothing better in life, than to have your sails full of wind.

nunaem
18th January 2011, 09:01 AM
If you don't have a dog, borrow one from a friend. A relatively big one that you can wrestle with.

Hatha Sunahara
18th January 2011, 09:03 AM
Go out and rent or buy DVDs of stand-up comedians and watch them. I recommend Groucho Marx, or Jeff Dunham, or Ron White, or Larry The Cable Guy.

Laughter is the best medicine. Go get just one little laugh. That will grow into gales of laughter, and you'll feel so much better in no time. Whatever is making you sad will drown in no time.

Hatha

bellevuebully
18th January 2011, 09:08 AM
How to deal with depression?

Perspective helps......

Do you have health?

Do you have a healthy family?

Roof over your head and warm bed to sleep in?

Enough to eat?

I am not meaning to diminish the losses you are feeling, but truly, life is about more than success. There is a lot of misery in the world. Most of us in the west have no idea what a life of misery is. The things I mentioned above are a really good start in appreciating a balanced perspective on life. But as Strawboss's (from GIM1) tagline used to read.....'Jesus Christ is the only true hope any of us really have.' Imo, that is the most accurate signature I have ever seen on a forum.

I hope you can work through this tough time Billboard. I know you will find a lot of support from this community.

Antonio
18th January 2011, 09:17 AM
INJECTABLE VITAMIN B 12 DOES WONDERS FOR DEPRESSION, 1000mcg UNDER THE SKIN ONCE A WEEK FOR A MONTH.
All other forms of B12 are completely useless except raw organic liver (if you can make yourself eat it:).

Ash_Williams
18th January 2011, 09:31 AM
Just use wordplay.

It's not depression, it's a recession, and the recession ended months ago.

Done.

Ares
18th January 2011, 09:45 AM
Vitamin D3 and exercise. Sit in a sunny widow have a cup... Always makes me feel well!

I believe vitamin D3 is a wonder substance that can have profound influence on keeping our bodies healthy.

Vitamin D3 is a miracle drug IMHO. It not really a drug or a vitamin as such... Technically not a "vitamin," vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that is the key that unlocks binding sites on the human genome. The human genome contains more than 2,700 binding sites for calcitriol; those binding sites are near genes involved in virtually every known major disease of humans

I take 10000 IU a day... and have been for over three years. I take it along with calcium/magnesium, krill oil and vitamin c. It has been rare if any that I have gotten the seasonal flu or other illnesses that others around me have gotten.

I take about 2,000 IU of D3 a day, and 400mg of Magnesium. I thought about upping the dosage but I still don't get sick and feel fine. Don't really supplement calcium as I see it in just about everything I eat. Krill oil I did once but it's a bit pricey. Vitamin C I drink 8fl oz of OJ every day as well.

solid
18th January 2011, 09:47 AM
I believe depression is a modern creation, due to all the conveniences we've created for ourselves. I wonder if people had depression 300 years ago, when they were out hunting and gardening for their food.

The essence of man is action. Action is our natural state, not sitting in front of tvs or computers all day. When you are in action, you don't have time for depression.

A wise salty captain gave me some of the best advise recently. Man's been driving boats for over 40 years.

As long as your boat is moving, in motion, you have control.

Meaning, whether the bow or stern is moving, you are making headway....or sternway. Keep the boat moving.

I apply this advise to life. When making your approach to the dock, your goal, sometimes the wind and current are working right with you, set and drift, and you ease right into and oh how sweet that is. Sometimes, the wind and current are working against you, they are setting you right towards the rocks.

In those times, keep the boat in motions, always, action...try a little adjustment here and there, that doesn't work, try something different. Always be taking action. Sometimes you've got to completely back out, and have another go at it. Even moving backwards, in life, is taking some sort of control.

I believe, action, and control is the key to living a full happy life.

G2Rad
18th January 2011, 10:00 AM

I feel deeply sad.

what is the cause of sadness?
is it lack of hope or is it lack of love or is it pointless of existence or is it fear of the future?
Is it something else?

Antonio
18th January 2011, 10:02 AM
Don`t look at Kitco when the arrows are red ;)

Rebel Yarr
18th January 2011, 10:10 AM
Physical exercise, run around the block a few times.

Yes, exactly. Exercise is a must - along with some sunshine - if no sunshine hit a tanning bed after a workout.

Book
18th January 2011, 10:24 AM
Avoid booze and drugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ZuKF3dxCY

Ponce
18th January 2011, 10:27 AM
I am to bussy with my preps and planning to get depress.........specially now with my now gone Gata.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
18th January 2011, 10:27 AM
There's a video on youtube called "quantum K healing." Maybe give that a try.

And I agree with those who suggest exercise. Nothing beats the blues like natural endorphins.

Twisted Titan
18th January 2011, 12:47 PM
To quote My Wrestling Coach Jon Allen

A Loss should hurt for about 24-48 hours

After that it should help

BillBoard
21st January 2011, 03:04 AM
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the help.

I am back in fighting form, and in excellent spirits. It was just that day that had me all bummed out and depressed about all the years of past work that seemed to be thrown away, but then I realized that this is just a stage of Life's journey.

God willing, I will do everything I can to live long enough to see humanity prosper beyond the Age of Usury.

bellevuebully
21st January 2011, 06:25 AM

I am back in fighting form, and in excellent spirits. It was just that day that had me all bummed out and depressed about all the years of past work that seemed to be thrown away, but then I realized that this is just a stage of Life's journey.

God willing, I will do everything I can to live long enough to see humanity prosper beyond the Age of Usury.

Glad to hear that Billboard. And with a sense of humour too! lol

hoarder
21st January 2011, 07:10 AM
Are you taking any prescription drugs? Depression is a very common side effect of many pharmaceuticals for which they will happily prescribe yet another poison.

gunDriller
21st January 2011, 07:12 AM

I feel deeply sad.

i was thrust into a difficult situation when i lived in Canada in 2004.

basically, job change + a move ... plus i unwisely picked a building not knowing how noisy it was ... sleep deprivation for 6 months.

what helped was getting disciplined about my diet. the result is what i call the "Vancouver Diet".

8 to 12 fruits and vegetables a day, plenty of water, 2 or more sources of protein - just super healthy diet - sort of force-feeding yourself with healthy food.

VERY helpful. i was on the ropes, that diet helped me make it through, till i could find a better place to live etc.

BillBoard
21st January 2011, 07:58 AM
Are you taking any prescription drugs? Depression is a very common side effect of many pharmaceuticals for which they will happily prescribe yet another poison.

By good Providence, I don't have to take any medications. I am also in good physical shape, I make it a point to walk 2 miles with my 3 kids 3 days a week. I make them tell me all about themselves while we walk, and I love to hear the Dad questions. You know, "Hey Dad, why such and such?"

Ares
21st January 2011, 08:30 AM
Welcome back Billboard,

We all go through that from time to time. I exercise, try to eat right and I do supplement with Vitamin D3 in the winter to stave off from the seasonal depression. I still sometimes wake up on the wrong side of the bed and just say what's the point?

k-os
21st January 2011, 01:39 PM

By good Providence, I don't have to take any medications. I am also in good physical shape, I make it a point to walk 2 miles with my 3 kids 3 days a week. I make them tell me all about themselves while we walk, and I love to hear the Dad questions. You know, "Hey Dad, why such and such?"

This is a beautiful thing!

Neuro
21st January 2011, 02:13 PM
Go ice fishing in the winter sun!
http://www.foxlakefishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/icefishing.jpg

bellevuebully
21st January 2011, 04:01 PM

Awesome :)

bellevuebully
21st January 2011, 04:02 PM
Go ice fishing in the winter sun!
http://www.foxlakefishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/icefishing.jpg

How does that work out for you in Turkey? ;D

StackerKen
21st January 2011, 08:01 PM

Glad to hear that Bill :)

Bullion_Bob
21st January 2011, 08:48 PM
Depression is caused by hormonal imbalance. In men the biggest hormone that ties into this is testosterone. After men peak in the late teens, testosterone declines, and the muscles atrophy which lowers metabolism. The visible result is weight gain.

Go for a brisk 45 min walk. If you feel better from this (even for a few days afterwards), you have just found your cure.

When you tell the muscles to grow and develop, your body starts to produce more testosterone to assist in the repair process.

Women suffer depression, and low sex drive, from low testosterone levels as well. Their levels are so low to begin with that not only can they not gain muscle easily, but when exposed to the this hormone (use your imagination) it has a very positive emotional effect.

Needless to say weight training is the cure all for low testosterone, and imo, every affliction imaginable.

It's no coincidence that sex drive increases in both women and men who exercise.

Another benefit of repetitive muscular contraction is it helps pump the lymph fluid through your system which cleans out your body/blood from all the undesirables, again leading to improved mental health.

You will also retain information, and learn at a accelerated rate if you combine it with exercise.