PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons for buying 10 oz bar v's 1 kg bars

Robert
18th January 2011, 08:13 AM
What are the Pros and Cons for buying 10 oz bar v's 1 kg bars?

Will it be harder to sell the 1kg in the future, compared to 10oz bars?

... or is there anything else I should bear in mind when buying the bars?

thanks

sirgonzo420
18th January 2011, 10:25 AM
What are the Pros and Cons for buying 10 oz bar v's 1 kg bars?

Will it be harder to sell the 1kg in the future, compared to 10oz bars?

... or is there anything else I should bear in mind when buying the bars?

thanks

The smaller (and more numerous), the better.

Sparky
18th January 2011, 10:58 AM
What SG said.

The only reason to buy bigger is if you get a big discount on price. That has to be weighed against the advantage of being able to sell smaller portions as desired. It's also harder to tamper/fill anything 10 oz or less.

Quick check of Apmex: looks like you have to go to 100 oz to get a discount of $0.40/oz, which is about 1.5%. 1 kg ~ 32 ounces. I'd much rather own three 10's.

madfranks
18th January 2011, 12:54 PM
If you need to liquidate some of your holdings, it is much easier to get rid of one 10 oz bar than 1/3 of a kg bar. Silver is silver, and so you'll never have a problem selling it either way. I don't think the volume discount is enough to warrant buying huge bars; the convenience of smaller units is more valuable to me.

osoab
18th January 2011, 03:05 PM
How are you wanting to sell is the question you need to ask.

Are you doing cash under the table or walking/shipping into the dealer and swapping there?

Not many people can afford a 10oz let alone 1 kg bar.

I would let the 1 kg go unless you want one to add to the size collection.
Stick with the 1oz rounds and add a few 10oz's to the stack.

milehi
18th January 2011, 04:32 PM
In the very near future it may be worth the effort for dirtbags to tamper with 10oz and 1kg bars, making them harder to sell and possibly requiring an assay. It wouldn't be too hard to relieve a 10oz bar of several onces.

Neuro
18th January 2011, 04:52 PM
Silver is just to heavy... Don't buy any, it will not be worth storing until it reaches at least $300/ounce...