PDA

View Full Version : Colcannon - Irish potato dish

ShortJohnSilver
18th January 2011, 06:34 PM
Made this tonight, based on the recipe below (though I used a bundle of spring onions instead of the onion)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dianes-Colcannon/Detail.aspx

2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 slices bacon
1/2 small head cabbage, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions

Place potatoes in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender.
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving drippings, crumble and set aside. In the reserved drippings, saute the cabbage and onion until soft and translucent. Putting a lid on the pan helps the vegetables cook faster.
Drain the cooked potatoes, mash with milk and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the bacon, cabbage, and onions, then transfer the mixture to a large serving bowl. Make a well in the center, and pour in the melted butter. Serve immediately.

willie pete
18th January 2011, 06:40 PM
how did it turn out? ...sounds good to me.. ;D I love potatoes..........with some vinegar of sorts and don't mash the potatoes, it'd be close to German potato salad...

ShortJohnSilver
18th January 2011, 10:33 PM
how did it turn out? ...sounds good to me.. ;D I love potatoes..........with some vinegar of sorts and don't mash the potatoes, it'd be close to German potato salad...

Turned out pretty good... three things...

1. be sure to chop the cabbage so it is not too long and stringy

2. add some salt to the water so the potatoes while cooking them so they absorb the flavor

3. bacon is good... more bacon is better, use more bacon if you want!

I have seen it served in small cubes in some recipes, not mashed; the cooking makes the potatoes soft enough to do that with.