PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Launches Major Initiative to Make Food Healthier

BabushkaLady
20th January 2011, 01:52 PM
With the First Lady? Gotta Wonder Why . . . . Not out of the goodness of their hearts . . . .

Walmart Launches Major Initiative to Make Food Healthier and Healthier Food More Affordable

WASHINGTON, D.C., Jan. 20, 2011 – At an event today in Washington, D.C., Walmart, the nation’s largest grocer, unveiled a comprehensive effort to provide its customers with healthier and more affordable food choices. The company was joined by First Lady Michelle Obama as it outlined the five key elements of the program including:

Reformulating thousands of everyday packaged food items by 2015 by reducing sodium 25 percent and added sugars 10 percent, and by removing all remaining industrially produced trans fats. The company will work with suppliers to improve the nutritional quality of national food brands and its Great Value private brand in key product categories to complete the reformulations; Making healthier choices more affordable, saving customers approximately $1 billion per year on fresh fruits and vegetables through a variety of sourcing, pricing, and transportation and logistics initiatives that will drive unnecessary costs out of the supply chain. Walmart will also dramatically reduce or eliminate the price premium on key “better-for-you” items, such as reduced sodium, sugar or fat products; Developing strong criteria for a simple front-of-package seal that will help consumers instantly identify truly healthier food options such as whole grain cereal, whole wheat pasta or unsweetened canned fruit; Providing solutions to address food deserts by building stores in underserved communities that are in need of fresh and affordable groceries; and Increasing charitable support for nutrition programs that help educate consumers about healthier food solutions and choices.

“No family should have to choose between food that is healthier for them and food they can afford,” said Bill Simon, president and CEO of Walmart U.S. “With more than 140 million customer visits each week, Walmart is uniquely positioned to make a difference by making food healthier and more affordable to everyone. We are committed to working with suppliers, government and non-governmental organizations to provide solutions that help Americans eat healthier and live a better life.”

This program builds on the success of the First Lady’s “Let’s Move” campaign to make healthy choices more convenient and affordable for families and is consistent with Walmart’s commitment to lead on social issues that matter to its customers.

“We applaud First Lady Michelle Obama’s leadership and commitment to this important cause,” said Leslie Dach, executive vice president of corporate affairs at Walmart. “Few individuals have done more to raise awareness of the importance of healthier habits—especially among children—than she has. She was a catalyst that helped make today’s announcement a reality and her spirit of collaboration made our commitment to bring better nutrition to kitchen tables across this country even stronger.”

. . .

the full story here: (http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/10514.aspx)

Ares
20th January 2011, 01:54 PM
If the first lady is involved then someone might want to go looking through the last bailout package and see if Walmart received some government money.

I'd put 20 FRN's down that Walmart got some $$$.

Shami-Amourae
20th January 2011, 02:13 PM
I did a massive college essay on this exact issue just recently (you may remember a survey a while back.) It's a mixed bag, they are doing both good and bad.

Basically everything you expect to happen is happening. They are buying up all these local organic farmers and cutting corners with them, but the bad thing is they are folding in Chinese crap and calling it organic. The #1 problem for Walmart now is no one realizes/believes they have "organic", which if people do/did, it could water down and destroy the meaning of organic. There's a lot of serious resistance against this which is good.

Walmart's organic milk is #1 in sales out of any other form of milk, but brandwise almost no one realizes they have organic (which is a good thing I think.) Point is stay away from them, you're better off supporting grocery stores like Safeway and SuperValu if you can't afford the stuff at your local organic store, or even Whole Foods (who you should support.) Trader Joes is good too, but they sell pasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar.

I found you can tell how serious a store is about organic food based on what kind of Apple Cider Vinegar they sell. If it's Bragg, (organic, unpasteurized, and unfiltered,) then it's legitimate. If it's some non-organic, pasteurized, and/or filtered (any one or all of these things), then it's NOT legitimate organic.

SLV^GLD
20th January 2011, 02:18 PM
I cringe at the very idea of a wal-mart grocery store, much less one that is going to "make food healthier".

BabushkaLady
20th January 2011, 02:25 PM
I did a massive college essay on this exact issue just recently (you may remember a survey a while back.) It's a mixed bag, they are doing both good and bad.

Who is They? What Good are They doing?

Point is stay away from them, you're better off supporting grocery stores like Safeway and SuperValu if you can't afford the stuff at your local organic store, or even Whole Foods (who you should support.) Trader Joes is good too, but they sell pasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar.

I keep away from ChinaMart. I just think they are getting into bed with the First Lady's program for future financial gain and maybe even for some special rules in the ObamaCare program.

They are pushing a check-cashing program currently as well. They have ShareHolders' to look out for you know.

basplaer
20th January 2011, 02:26 PM
Hey Michelle, keep your paws offa mah Great Value Carrots!

Cobalt
20th January 2011, 02:53 PM
The only walmart visiting I do is called People of Walmart to check out pics of the goofy customers

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

Shami-Amourae
20th January 2011, 04:14 PM

They are Walmart. The good thing they are doing is they are making organic foods more mainstream. Organic isn't some fringe hippie group to corporations anymore, it's serious business. They are shocked at the idea that people don't want to be poisoned 24-7 and some people may even are willing to pay more not to be poisoned! I don't support Walmart at all, I have a strong bias against them, but I'm saying that mainstreaming organic food is somewhat of a good thing too since more people will have access to healthier food, even if it is watered down, it's better than nothing. I'm totally against the watering down obviously, since I want the highest quality food possible.

Cebu_4_2
20th January 2011, 04:49 PM
What was the name of the additive similar to aspartame that they do not have to disclose on products, animal feeds and organic foods? I briefly scanned the article posted here a few weeks back.

ShortJohnSilver
20th January 2011, 06:01 PM
What was the name of the additive similar to aspartame that they do not have to disclose on products, animal feeds and organic foods? I briefly scanned the article posted here a few weeks back.

It was either "Sweet-O's" or "Neotame"

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1305432/pg1

Twisted Titan
20th January 2011, 08:25 PM

They are Walmart. The good thing they are doing is they are making organic foods more mainstream. Organic isn't some fringe hippie group to corporations anymore, it's serious business. They are shocked at the idea that people don't want to be poisoned 24-7 and some people may even are willing to pay more not to be poisoned! I don't support Walmart at all, I have a strong bias against them, but I'm saying that mainstreaming organic food is somewhat of a good thing too since more people will have access to healthier food, even if it is watered down, it's better than nothing. I'm totally against the watering down obviously, since I want the highest quality food possible.

So what do they do???

Buy up all the true organic farmers and mixx the same posion in under a different trade name that you end up paying MORE for

HEADS WALMART WINS

TALES YOU LOSE.

A most lucrative business model if I do say so myself

T

ShortJohnSilver
20th January 2011, 08:33 PM
So what do they do???

Buy up all the true organic farmers and mixx the same posion in under a different trade name that you end up paying MORE for

HEADS WALMART WINS

TALES YOU LOSE.

A most lucrative business model if I do say so myself

T

Pretty much, as it is, the "organic" designation doesn't mean what you think it does. Even GMO foods can be designated organic in some cases.

Want more gobbledygook? See http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/certification/050103/answers.shtml and try to wrap your head around that.

BrewTech
20th January 2011, 08:40 PM
Walmart = (a department of the federal) Government

If you don't trust the government, there is no point in giving Walmart the benefit of the doubt either.

Walmart is now aligning its buiness activities directly with the WH, following its direct connect with the DHS.

I will never step foot into a Walmart again. There is no upside.

Awoke
21st January 2011, 05:53 AM
Their definition of "healthy" is not the same as your definition of "healthy".

Kind of like how their definition of "Freedom" is not the same as your definition of "Freedom".

VX1
21st January 2011, 06:21 AM
Wow, what a crock... food prices will be at least twice as expensive as they were before she and her puppet husband helped debase the currency with "bailouts", "QE", and countless other corrupt dealings, and now she's supposively working for the little guy to get Wal-mart to reduce the small premium on a few products (which they will certainly make up in other ways). Thanks, but no thanks.

I didn't know she had a "LET'S MOVE" campaign either... is she helping with foreclosures now?!?

LET GO MY BANANAS!

Shorty Harris
21st January 2011, 07:09 AM
Going to Chinamart for Organics is like looking to Mcdonalds for Nutrition.

Awoke
21st January 2011, 08:03 AM
Wow, Michelle looks like a possessed gorilla!