PDA

View Full Version : Bulls are in control of the Economy, so does this mean Silver/Gold will go down?

Robert
20th January 2011, 03:38 PM
As the title says, do you guys think people should be selling their Silver/Gold?

Would love to hear what you guys say about this.

thanks

osoab
20th January 2011, 04:06 PM
Robert, there are so many shenanigans that can be pulled off by the big banks that anything can happen.
Saying the Bulls are in control is too general of a statement. Who are the Bulls?

I just count in ounces and I know I don't have enough yet.

Robert
20th January 2011, 04:39 PM
I'm thinking, the DOW/S&P 500 have been going up slowly since March 2008, so does this mean Silver and Gold to slowly go down this year?

thanks

osoab
20th January 2011, 06:33 PM
What kind of trade are you looking at here? Are you trading physical, trading in your pool account, our trading paper SLV? Are you looking for a 75% rise and dumping anyway? I believe using the DOW which is a valuation of 30 companies, many of whose accounting standards wouldn't fly for you and I, or the S&P500 ( I don't know the make up of this index) is short sighted and following the herd mentality (no offense). I took it from your earlier posts that you are new to this (unless you are trolling). How much research did you do before going headlong into silver (that is if you made a purchase)? Did you study historical charts, moving average charts, the movement of individual currencies, debt creation, etc?

All I see is wanton printing/digitizing of dollars, euros, yuan, etc. I personal feel that the only movement in the general trend is up for the metals and all other commodities (barring a massive glut). The things that are made of said commodities will in turn increase in price. Margin compression for companies cannot keep happening. You won't stay in business very long. Just look at China telling us that prices will be 30% higher by summer that occurred today. You also can't ignore the massive investment demand currently that has yet to get to J6P level on a wide basis. Granted J6P doesn't have much free money floating around these days. These are just a few lines of thought, that I cannot look past.

I just came across this little tidbit. If you haven't heard this before, if you spent a million dollars a day, everyday, since the time Jesus, you would have only spent about 1.2 trillion dollars.

World needs $100 trillion more credit, says World Economic Forum (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/davos/8267768/World-needs-100-trillion-more-credit-says-World-Economic-Forum.html)

But could the price go down, yes. If another liquidity crisis occurs like in 2008, those on margin will have to sell to meet obligations. All things will probably sell off.

Just remember to buy with both fists at that time. 8)

Sparky
20th January 2011, 10:53 PM
No, it doesn't mean that Robert. For a number of years, the market and silver/gold have moved in the same direction, with metals advancing more aggressively on the upside.

Bulls and bears don't control the economy, they control the movement of the stock market. Not the same thing.

You should have a core position of silver/gold that you never plan to sell. Then you can have a second core position that you don't plan on selling until the end of this metals bull is over, maybe 3-7 years from now. (That's just my guess on timing.) Then, if you like, you can have a third position that you can trade in and out of if you want to speculate and try to time price movement. I recommend stocks for this.

Only this third position should be under consideration for selling. I think you're a newbie buyer, right? You shouldn't be thinking about selling any metals. Hope the price goes down so you can accumulate more.

Robert
21st January 2011, 03:47 AM
Thankyou guys so much for your input!!

Yes I am new, the things is I bought a few Silver bars/coins @£17.77 oz, last week, and I've seen Silver go down since then. My thinking was its going down because the Economy is getting better, so people are selling there MP. I always thought people buy MP when things get bad in the world.

Sorry about being simple minded, I'm new to all this. I won't be selling my Silver, I want to hold onto it for a few years.

Thank you guys for your help!

horseshoe3
21st January 2011, 07:33 AM
After a few years you'll get used to the volatility and it won't bother you anymore. But where you're at right now can be very nervewracking. We've all been there.

osoab
21st January 2011, 08:33 AM
Since you are in the UK Robert (guessing by the pound symbol), you may want to concentrate on gold.

If I recall correctly, you also pay a 20% VAT on top of the silver price. Where as with the gold fractionals, you don't have to pay the tax. You are automatically behind 20% when you walk out the door with silver.

Please correct me if I am wrong on what you blokes pay over in the UK.

Robert
21st January 2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks osoab , you are correct, its 20% VAT :(, well as you said good news for Gold :)

osoab
21st January 2011, 09:38 AM

Yes I am new, the things is I bought a few Silver bars/coins @£17.77 oz, last week, and I've seen Silver go down since then.

Is £17.77 the out the door price or was that spot and the VAT and dealer markup not included?

SLV^GLD
21st January 2011, 10:12 AM
...I bought a few Silver bars/coins @£17.77 oz, last week, and I've seen Silver go down since then. My thinking was its going down because the Economy is getting better...Now, I don't profess to know much about economics so I don't typically comment on it but I do know that as the eternal pessimist I don't expect the economy to EVER "do better" until the current economy completely and resolutely collapses. It's too fundamentally broken to "get better" IMO.

Now, having said that, I would offer this advice: Never assume the magical, mystical, ethereal "ECONOMY" is doing anything at all for the price of anything. If you are going to base your purchasing and selling motives on economic factors then they need to be hard, accountable factors. If you said, "I think the price of metals is falling because MIT just figured out how to subatomically create metals and on a large scale I would panic with you". Even if you say, "The price of metals is falling due to $indicator that traditionally goes $up/down relative to metals" you've got my ear. Telling me price action is tied to the magical, mystical, ethereal "ECONOMY" tells me not a damned thing at all.

Robert
21st January 2011, 12:27 PM

Yes I am new, the things is I bought a few Silver bars/coins @£17.77 oz, last week, and I've seen Silver go down since then.

Is £17.77 the out the door price or was that spot and the VAT and dealer markup not included?

osoab , It was the spot price excluding VAT and dealer markup

Serpo
21st January 2011, 12:39 PM
After a few years you'll get used to the volatility and it won't bother you anymore. But where you're at right now can be very nervewracking. We've all been there.

Serpo
21st January 2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks osoab , you are correct, its 20% VAT :(, well as you said good news for Gold :)

Hey you havnt recieved any thanks so heres one....cheers

SLV^GLD
21st January 2011, 12:45 PM
I got his smite cherry.
Damn, I felt like a bad, bad man but I did get it and no one else can have it so I will console myself with that fact. Also, there is the fact that the only smites I have ever given were for the cherry or some other benign amusement.

;D :D

Serpo
21st January 2011, 12:47 PM

Yes I am new, the things is I bought a few Silver bars/coins @£17.77 oz, last week, and I've seen Silver go down since then. My thinking was its going down because the Economy is getting better, so people are selling there MP. I always thought people buy MP when things get bad in the world.

Sorry about being simple minded, I'm new to all this. I won't be selling my Silver, I want to hold onto it for a few years.

Thank you guys for your help!

Guess this whole forum is in the same position as the price of our silver hit that price too....most people here would lick there lips to try and buy more.

Pity about the 20% vat but silver is still way cheaper than gold and is it really worth that much less ...I dont think so .....

Serpo
21st January 2011, 12:49 PM
I got his smite cherry.
Damn, I felt like a bad, bad man but I did get it and no one else can have it so I will console myself with that fact. Also, there is the fact that the only smites I have ever given were for the cherry or some other benign amusement.

;D :D

Bad man...hahah think I have only ever given one smite total

SLV^GLD
21st January 2011, 12:50 PM
All of mine came from Book 8)

Serpo
21st January 2011, 12:50 PM
Hey Robert ...we arnt all crazy here there is one sane guy.....just cant think of his name at the moment...

Serpo
21st January 2011, 12:51 PM

Of course the smite master....ha

Neuro
21st January 2011, 01:53 PM
What do you expect if you don't have the correct opinion... ;)

SLV^GLD
21st January 2011, 09:00 PM
What do you expect if you don't have the correct opinion... ;)
Nothing less but ******* if I can't stop expecting more and that is where I disappoint only myself.