PDA

View Full Version : Been looking for a new (to me) truck (Internet Scam example)

Camp Bassfish
21st January 2011, 07:37 AM
This ad seems too good to be true... anyone familiar with possible scams that I may need to look out for with this?

http://www.kaango.com/ads/viewad?adid=18307633

mike88
21st January 2011, 07:44 AM
Toyota produces a superior vehicle, in my opinion. The fords are ok.

Herbicidal
21st January 2011, 07:55 AM
Seems almost too good to be true.....

Carbon
21st January 2011, 07:58 AM
This ad seems too good to be true... anyone familiar with possible scams that I may need to look out for with this?

Looks like a decent deal - but WTF does Harley Davidson have to do with trucks... and why would you want to drive an advert for them?

mike88
21st January 2011, 08:16 AM
I believe the image they wanted to create was driving the ford was like riding a bike. After all, one was burning gasoline, and moving on a road. Both are american industrial manufacturers with a long history of continuous production. Safer in the cage than actually on a bike, the logo on the truck gives one that "rebel" image HD has crafted over the years. Dentists and stockbrokers being in the !%er group of bikers is laughable tho.

Camp Bassfish
21st January 2011, 08:27 AM
At $5,900 this thing is a steal... like mentioned above, too good to be true. I'm trying to slice through potential scam artists while looking for a truck. Not married to the Ford...but this deal is great if legit.

Ash_Williams
21st January 2011, 08:32 AM
First step is to reply to the ad. If the guy comes back with something like "Yeah great truck. I'm in (some place rather far away) right now but that price includes delivery..." then don't be surprised. That seems to be the usual scam with trucks online.

chad
21st January 2011, 08:35 AM
i responded to one like that when i bought my ranger. the price listed was what he owed then bank. then, i need to pay him an "extra $6,900."

Awoke
21st January 2011, 08:38 AM
I had a friend who almost fell prey to an online auto scam, until I showed him these two sites:

http://theautoprophet.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-ebay-motors-scam.html
http://www.find-your-muscle-car.com/ebay-motors-scam.html

Camp Bassfish
21st January 2011, 09:28 AM
Great links... thank you!

Awoke
21st January 2011, 09:38 AM
I'm not saying it's not legit, but definately be careful. My friend was just about ready to do a bank transfer with the funds when I found out about it and stopped him. It proved to be a fraud.

Camp Bassfish
21st January 2011, 10:24 AM
I'm going to go slow on this one... too many things aren't adding up. If nothing else, I'll do some chain yanking.... winter pastime :o)

Cobalt
21st January 2011, 10:35 AM
The same truck appears to be for sale and said too be in many different places

St Louis
http://stlouis.backpage.com/AutosForSale/5900-2003-ford-f-150-harley-davidson/5620067

Utah
http://beta.utahmore.com/cars/2003/Ford/F-150/150653

Same truck is now listed as located in Seattle

http://washington.backpage.com/AutosForSale/5900-2003-ford-f-150-harley-davidson/6299776

I found lots more but just posted a few

Ash_Williams
21st January 2011, 10:50 AM
You should get a fake money order though another classifieds scam and use that to buy the fake truck!

Awoke
21st January 2011, 10:52 AM
Another warning sign that should have your spidey senses tingling: The email is a custom account, tailored to match that vehicles details.
harley03ford@yahoo.com

If I was selling a vehicle, I would personally want to use my home email account, so I know where the trail of emails can be found.

I wouldn't open a new account called suzuki09intruder@someprovider.com just to sell a suzuki intruder. I don't know. Looks suspicious to me.

hoarder
21st January 2011, 11:03 AM
Another free tip; don't buy any vehicle that has those stupid low profile tires. Retards think they're "cool", but not only are they expensive and rough riding, if you go over a big rock or curb, they get ruined along with the stupid aluminum wheel.

Ash_Williams
21st January 2011, 12:21 PM
On fast cars the low-profile is for cornering. You have less rubber to lean and flex when you're digging into a corner. Generally you try to go wider at the same time to get more grip. I switched from 15s with regular tires to 17s with low profile on my summer car and it made a huge handling difference with no loss of comfort.

Of course kids realized the fast cars had these tires so, "logically", their sunfires or whatever would be (or at least look) faster with the low profiles and now everything has to have them, even trucks. As if low profile tires are going to help a 5000 lb chevy suburban corner any better.

Camp Bassfish
21st January 2011, 12:34 PM
The same truck appears to be for sale and said too be in many different places

St Louis
http://stlouis.backpage.com/AutosForSale/5900-2003-ford-f-150-harley-davidson/5620067

Utah
http://beta.utahmore.com/cars/2003/Ford/F-150/150653

Same truck is now listed as located in Seattle

http://washington.backpage.com/AutosForSale/5900-2003-ford-f-150-harley-davidson/6299776

I found lots more but just posted a few

Was just about to check back in with the exact same info. I guess deep down I knew it wasn't "right".. oh well, let the fun begin...assuming they reply to my "very interested" e-mail.

horseshoe3
21st January 2011, 12:55 PM
Well, Cobalt's discovery clinches it.

A couple peices of general car buying advice:

Never buy a car that you haven't personally inspected both the vehicle and the title. You can still get scammed this way, but seeing the physical car and title will eliminate the vast majority of scammers.

Always take the car home with you with a bill of sale and/or signed title. The seller may want ot keep the title until your check clears - this is usually OK, but you need to have the vehicle and the signed bill of sale as protection. Check the seller's ID to make sure it matches the title and BOS.

Beware of salvage titles unless you know what you are doing. Salvage title vehicles can be an excellent buy because most people are irrationally afraid of them, so the prices are way low. If you know enough to tell if the repairs were done right, you can get a steal on a lightly damaged and repaired car.

Ponce
21st January 2011, 03:12 PM
Sorry to say that my 91 Toy pick up may need a new engine after the water pump broke and messed up my radiatos and the engine itself...........the mechanic is taking the engine block apart right now to see if he can somehow save it.........mayor open heart operation, it might need a trasplant :boohoo :boohoo :boohoo

hoarder
21st January 2011, 03:19 PM
Sorry to say that my 91 Toy pick up may need a new engine after the water pump broke and messed up my radiatos and the engine itself...........the mechanic is taking the engine block apart right now to see if he can somehow save it.........mayor open heart operation, it might need a trasplant :boohoo :boohoo :boohoo
You can get used engines direct from Japan.
http://cjee.com/
I don't know anything about the company, I think there are several importers. The weakest part of Toyota engines is the aluminum head.

Ponce
21st January 2011, 03:22 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha Hoarder........I was there 10 minutes ago.......the engine is $850.00, the core is $350.00 deposit and the shipping to Oregon is $155.00...........I spoke with a Japanese guy that goes by the name of Marksan........lol.

willie pete
21st January 2011, 03:47 PM

maybe do a car-fax on it......make sure it isn't a "Katrina" or "Flood" truck :D ....well after seeing the same truck in multiple locations; ...I'd have to call SCAM ...don't set-the hook on this one good buddy

platinumdude
22nd January 2011, 06:42 AM
Isn't the bed kind of small? Isn't a shtf vehicle better if the bed is bigger and the cabin a little smaller?

hoarder
22nd January 2011, 06:47 AM
Isn't the bed kind of small? Isn't a shtf vehicle better if the bed is bigger and the cabin a little smaller?
Another reason to get a regular cab long bed is they have REAL DOOR JAMBS, instead of having the front doors latch to the rear doors. It doesn't matter much if the truck spends it's life cruising smooth pavement, but out here in the country they get loose and ratteley fast.

platinumdude
22nd January 2011, 09:49 AM
If I ever get a truck it would probably be a nissan frontier off-road model with the king cab but not the 4 doors.

Camp Bassfish
24th January 2011, 04:46 AM
Another reason to get a regular cab long bed is they have REAL DOOR JAMBS, instead of having the front doors latch to the rear doors. It doesn't matter much if the truck spends it's life cruising smooth pavement, but out here in the country they get loose and ratteley fast.

This truck is a 4 door with all four doors opening in the same direction...not "suicide" doors in the back. Regardless.... this particular ad is indeed a scam. Here's my first response from "her" responding to my request for pictures....

Hi Camp Bassfish,

Thanks for being interested in buying my truck! It`s in perfect condition,no scratches,damages, never been implicated in any accidents, it has only 20,139 miles and the price is $5,900.It has a clear title, free of any liens or loans. Because of my divorce settlement,i own this truck and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible (that`s why i`m selling it so cheap). We will use PayPal for our protection, i want only legit transactions. Let me know where are you located,maybe we can organize an inspection.
Have a great day!

Camp Bassfish
26th January 2011, 08:34 AM
So I have been a busy truck buyer, but it's all moving along nice a smooth!!! ahahaha

Me: Is this truck still available for sale?? Thank you.

Seller: The truck is at the shipping co. in Jefferson City,Mo sealed and ready to ship it,as I got a new job and moved here to start over.I've signed up with PayPal so the payment will be submitted via their services. I'm very busy with my job, so I can't meet you in person,reason for why I chose to sell my truck online.
If you want to continue,I will need your name&address. After I receive your info, I'll forward it to PayPal and they will send us both invoices. PayPal will instruct you on how to make a refundable payment. They hold the funds until the truck is delivered to buyer, inspected and until he confirms that has received the truck in it's described condition. You will have 5 days to decide if you want to keep it, and if PayPal should release the money to me or not. If for any reason you won't like the truck (I don't see that happening) PayPal will refund you and I will instruct the shipping co. to store the truck until I find a new buyer. It's not necessary to ship the truck back. If you want to buy it,please send me your info so we can proceed.

Here is a number where you can reach me 573-298-4807

Me: Can you tell me what color the truck is?

The title will arrive with the truck? I am new to paypal, but have heard that it offers us both the protection that we need for a

My name is:

Jim DeGreek

and my home address is: 1313 Beaverly Way, West Sand Lake, NY 12196

I travel a lot for work, but would want the truck sent to there.

About how long will all of this take? I want to start the registration process as soon as possible. Perhaps you could send me the VIN #?

Seller: Thanks for sending me your info,I will forward it to PayPal and you'll get an invoice with all the terms.If you decide to buy it you'll have to deposit the money with PayPal,they act as an escrow party by holding your money until you get the vehicle and inspect it for 5 days.As you know I am responsible for the shipping(back and forth).
In case you won't be satisfied with it,you can ship it back and PayPal will refund you.Once the payment is done and confirmed at PayPal(by faxing it at the fax number you will have on the invoice)I will transfer the title into your name,so you'll get the vehicle with all the paperwork.If you don't feel comfortable with this type of transaction,just cancel it and you won't be charged with anything.

http://s1130.photobucket.com/home/2003-Ford-F-150-Harley-Davidson-Album/recentuploads?view=slideshow

Me: Thank you for your quick response. I certainly expect to be satisfied with the truck, but if for some reason I wasn't, this sounds like the best way to handle it (PayPal).

I look forward to seeing the truck and making my decision. I assure you I am very interested, so I doubt you will need to worry about return shipping.

Seller: so is everything alright with the invoice,are you ready to proceed with the payment? (no invoice sent yet, but I'm sure it will be here anytime now)

........ so who wants to go for a ride??

willie pete
26th January 2011, 08:41 AM
I don't have a PP a/c...so let me ask; does PP act as an equity holder in a sale like this? IF so...what's their fee? ...and IF it is like it's stated with a 5-day inspection window..after confirming title is valid, what would be the risk?

Awoke
26th January 2011, 08:49 AM
Paypal is not an escrow service as far as I recall. You need to get on their site and read their Terms and Conditions before risking anything with your hard earned fiat.

You stand to lose.

Camp Bassfish
26th January 2011, 08:58 AM
Paypal is not an escrow service as far as I recall. You need to get on their site and read their Terms and Conditions before risking anything with your hard earned fiat.

You stand to lose.

My apologies... I should have added WAY more smileys and sarcasm icons. No, PayPal offers no such services and this is clearly a scam. I'm anxiously awaiting an invoice (that's made to look like a PayPal invoice) that will of course offer said servuces. Attached to that will be a valid PayPal address for me to throw away my hard earned money in..... Not gonna happen.

I'm trying to come up with a creative, sarcastic, and scolding final response to this nitwit for trying to scam honest (assumptions made in this case) people of their hard earned cash....

Camp Bassfish
26th January 2011, 09:01 AM
I don't have a PP a/c...so let me ask; does PP act as an equity holder in a sale like this? IF so...what's their fee? ...and IF it is like it's stated with a 5-day inspection window..after confirming title is valid, what would be the risk?

That's just it, they don't offer that service at all..... but the creative PayPal invoice that's onit's way to me any time now, will clearly state otherwise....

willie pete
26th January 2011, 09:12 AM

That's just it, they don't offer that service at all..... but the creative PayPal invoice that's onit's way to me any time now, will clearly state otherwise....

Cool.....yea...up to this point, I'm PP ignorant, so I didn't know no such service or policy existed....it seems like someone had mentioned though with PP; the buyers' funds are HELD a few days before being made available to the seller in case of some QUERY....does that sound kosher?

From day-one though...........the "Truck" deal Smelled like Detroit :lol

Camp Bassfish
27th January 2011, 04:39 AM
I received my invoice today. These folks aren't bad. Too bad they aren't getting squat from Bassfish.....

Instructions:

Item Description: 2003 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson

Dear Camp Bassfish

Please tell us if you have received the invoice for payment. Once we receive the fax from you that will include the payment details as explained above, we will instruct the seller to start the shipping process. We will hold the payment until you send us your confirmation that you are satisfied with the product you received. As soon as we receive your confirmation we will release the payment to the seller. You will receive further details regarding the shipping process (courier information, tracking method, expected delivery date) after the payment confirmation.

*NOTE It may occur that your e-mail doesn't support HTML language and that is why you haven't received the invoice from us. Please check your bulk/junk/spam/ messages, the invoice may have ended there because of the ever increasing filters of the e-mails nowdays.

For any question contact PayPal customer support department Toll Free at : +1 (877) 660-0734.

Thank you,
PayPal Financing Center

...and the invoice.

PayPal Invoice for Transaction #783562P788 - 2003 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson
- Transaction #783562P788, between Andrea Evard, as the Seller, and Camp Bassfish as the Buyer.
Please follow our instructions to complete the transaction safely.

- Buyer:

Name: Camp Bassfish

Address:

1313 Beaverly Way
West Sand Lake NY 12196
United States

- Seller:

Name: Andrea Evard

Address:

830 Holiday Dr
Jefferson City MO 65101
United States

- Transaction Details:

2003 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case ID: #783562P788 Price: $5,900.00
Title: Clear Condition: Excellent
Date: 01/26/2011 Shipping : $0.00
Payment Pending
Inspection Period: 5 days

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping to*: Camp Bassfish
1313 Beaverly Way
West Sand Lake NY 12196
United States

*Please check the details for an accurate delivery in order to avoid delays.

Payment must be submitted by Bank Wire Transfer to PayPal.
PayPal will secure the payment until the Buyer receives, will inspect and accept the vehicle. If the vehicle will not be in described condition, PayPal will refund the payment to the Buyer.

- Payment:

Transaction # : 783562P788
Date: 01/26/2011
Sale price: $5,900.00
Deposit: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Remaining balance: $0.00

Total Due: $5,900.00

- Item Details:

Title : Clear
Running Condition: Excellent
Extras: New set of tires
Accidents: No
Inspected: Yes
Miles: 20,139

Overall Condition: Excellent

-How to make the payment:

To complete the transaction you must send the payment via bank wire transfer.
Send the payment using PayPal Bank Account payment details.
Contact PayPal by replying to this e-mail with the following payment information:
- Invoice #;

- Tracking # of the wire transfer;

- Sender's Name;

- Case ID number;

- Fax the bank payment receipt to +1 (206) 350-3263.

Important Notice!
For security reasons please DO NOT release the payment details to the Seller or any other person.

- All the transaction, payment and personal information are considered confidential and will not be released under any circumstances.
- PayPal security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given evolving circumstances globally.
- Our main and constant priority is the safety of our customers.

PayPal Trust Bank Account*:

Bank Name:
Bank Address: Hancock Bank
1038 Harrison Ave. Panama City FL 32401 United States
Account Owner: Kira Barnes
Account Owner Address 712 College Ave. Panama City FL 32401 United States
Account Number: 3657541
Routing Number:

Note: Please use the account owner's name as the beneficiary.

*The wire transfer will be sent to PayPal bank Account. Consult your bank or financial institution for more information about how to complete a wire transfer.

Need additional help? Contact a PayPal representative!

We're here to help. Call us Toll Free at +1 (877) 660-0734.

When payment is received, it will be verified and secured into a non-interest bearing trust account. Payment verification process usually takes less than 24 hours. After payment is secured, the Seller is authorized to ship vehicle. Your funds will not be released to the Seller until you have received and approved the vehicle you are purchasing.

The Buyer receives the vehicle and has 5 days to inspect it. If he refuses the vehicle, by any reason, the item will be picked up by the same shipping company and it will be shipped back on the seller's expense.

After the inspection period is over, the Buyer must contact PayPal with the result of the inspection. If the Buyer refuses the vehicle, the refund will be sent to the Buyer after the tracking number for the returned shipment is verified. If the vehicle is accepted, PayPal submits the payment directly to the Seller within 3 business days.

Thank you,
PayPal Financial Department

Copyright © 1999-2011 PayPal. All rights reserved.

........ just in case any of you fine folks want to make a donation to these fine people I left her info intact. Because I won't be.... :o)

Awoke
27th January 2011, 04:43 AM
I'm going to assume that is not your real home address, and that you changed it before posting that.

Camp Bassfish
27th January 2011, 04:56 AM
I'm going to assume that is not your real home address, and that you changed it before posting that.

You sir are correct. ;) Take off of 1313 Mockingbird Lane and Beverly Hills (only I had beaver on my mind at the time)

The town is real and the zip correct.... but that wouldn't get you any closer to where I am than the "Weather where I live thread" in the lounge. ;D

Awoke
27th January 2011, 06:30 AM
One of the comments, referred to by Palani

Re: 2005 Jeep Cherokee for ONLY $4,600 posted in The Baton Rouge Advocate Newpaper; PAYPAL ONLY
Jan-24-2011 09:54 AM

Here is where you can file a complaint of this kind of scams it will be sent directly to the FBI:

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

We all can help to stop this scamer activities. (I did mine already)

Regards

Luis

ShortJohnSilver
27th January 2011, 07:52 AM
So basically they try to act like PayPal will handle the payment, when really it is a wire transfer from you to them? Given you have the bank contact details, notifying the bank would seem logical. If the bank does nothing, and someone else loses money they are complicit.

Camp Bassfish
27th January 2011, 09:30 AM
....and it continues.

Me: Andrea,

I received the invoice last evening for the truck. I will need to go to my bank later today, probably at lunch time. Before I do, can you please give me the name and address of the shipping company that is shipping the truck to me? I have little doubt that everything is exactly as it seems to be, but one can never be too safe these days. I hope you understand. In the meantime I will move my funds into the proper account so that I can send payment to you. Thank you again!

Andrea (can I call you Andrea?) : you can call PayPal and ask for more info,they have a local warehouse here.I completely understand you being leary,but trust me this is not the case.I am so excited I can't even see straight!

I may send this info over to that FBI link provide on the PayPal page... but not a big LEO fan either. Dunno what I'll do next...... CampBassfish is losing interest........

sirgonzo420
27th January 2011, 09:42 AM
lol, they're so excited they can't see straight!

lololol

willie pete
27th January 2011, 10:05 AM
A search for Andrea Evard resulted in

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Fraud-phishing-and-spoof/2005-Jeep-Cherokee-for-ONLY-4-600-posted-in-The-Baton-Rouge/m-p/178408

Many comments.

^^^ after reading all those comments/posts; I'm surprised the bank isn't located in nigeria :D