PDA

View Full Version : Magnet test on Silver

Robert
21st January 2011, 10:39 AM
I bought a tube of silver 1oz coins from http://www.bullionbypost.co.uk

I also have one of them REALLY poweful magnets to test the coins. I've seen the videos on youtube about testing the coin for fakes. So I've hovered over the magnet, it does not stick to the magnet, however I can you feel something, also I placed the coin ontop of a sheet of paper and placed the magnet underneath, and it does move the coin, having said that it moves the coin very very slowly.

please note, I do have a poweful magnet. Do you think I have a fake coin?

I bought this coin http://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/silver-coins/canadian-maple-1oz-silver-coin/canadian-maple-1oz-silver-coin/

thanks

SLV^GLD
21st January 2011, 10:45 AM
The coin should not react to the magnet AT ALL unless it contains ferrous.
Silver maples claim 99.9999% purity so no ferrous should be present.
Make sure the magnet is not disturbing say, the desk surface, or something.
the chances of running across a fake silver maple should be damned slim since faking them should be about expensive as buying them.
The best fake detector is a set of accurate scales and calipers. then those dimensions and weights you see on that webpage suddenly become very useful.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
21st January 2011, 11:35 AM
Does it weight 31.1 grams?

Does it pass the ping test?

Carbon
21st January 2011, 11:46 AM
The coin should not react to the magnet AT ALL unless it contains ferrous.

Not necessarily...

Is there any other metal that will mimic the magnetic resistance effect like silver?

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?p=1205794

For instance, it is easy to tell the difference between a ASE, AGE, and APE. Place a strong magnet on top then, as rapidly as possible, draw the magnet away. The silver coin will follow it the most and will be lifted off the table the furthest. The APE will react the least. It does take a strong magnet to do this and you need to be fast but they are cheap enough. Purely a bulk resistivity effect since the magnet repels both the silver and gold coins while attracting the platinum coin. Those forces are there statically and are on the order of milligrams compared to the forces required to lift the coins from the table which are 5 orders of magnitude greater.

Robert
21st January 2011, 11:51 AM
i have one of these magnets:

Strong Neodymium (NdFeB) Rare Earth Magnet

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/P2005964-Strong-Neodymium-Rare-Earth-Magnet-12mm-x-8-/110634874072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19c25a34d8

It weighs 31 grams, I don't get 31.1, that coulf be because the scales I have, I think it passd the ping test, what I done was I lightly struck 2 silver coins together.

SLV^GLD
21st January 2011, 12:07 PM
That is certainly news to me that anything other than ferrous reacts to magnetic fields (anything large enough tos ee and hold, anyway).

joe_momma
21st January 2011, 12:11 PM
Silver is diamagnetic in a strong enough field it will float.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamagnetism

Diamagnetism is a very general phenomenon, because all electrons, including the electrons of an atom, will always make a weak contribution to the material's response. However, for materials that show some other form of magnetism (such as ferromagnetism or paramagnetism), the diamagnetism is completely overpowered. Substances that mostly display diamagnetic behaviour are termed diamagnetic materials, or diamagnets. Materials that are said to be diamagnetic are those that are usually considered by non-physicists to be "non-magnetic", and include water, wood, most organic compounds such as petroleum and some plastics, and many metals including copper, particularly the heavy ones with many core electrons, such as mercury, gold and bismuth. The diamagnetism of various molecular fragments are called Pascal's constants.

Robert
21st January 2011, 12:13 PM
look at the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgSXg-WOEVY

SLV^GLD
21st January 2011, 12:43 PM
Materials that are said to be diamagnetic are those that are usually considered by non-physicists to be "non-magnetic",...
It's official, I am not a physicist. :boohoo

Robert
22nd January 2011, 05:57 AM
Here is my test guys, looks like a typical youtube video, let me know what you think? Note, I am note pushing the bar with the hand, the magnet is doing all the work here. Also, the magnet will NOT stick to the Silver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4cG1SSFtXs]

hoarder
22nd January 2011, 06:11 AM
They're fake!
I have a collection of fake PM's that I display at coin shows for educational purposes. Please send your fake bars to me so that I can educate the public about this. PM me for mailing address.;D

Robert
22nd January 2011, 06:22 AM
They're fake!
I have a collection of fake PM's that I display at coin shows for educational purposes. Please send your fake bars to me so that I can educate the public about this. PM me for mailing address.;D

I hope you're just joking.

As Carbon said said "Place a strong magnet on top then, as rapidly as possible, draw the magnet away. The silver coin will follow it the most and will be lifted off the table the furthest."

I might take this to a Silver shop and get them to test it.

Dogman
22nd January 2011, 06:23 AM
Magnets and nonferrous metals are used in braking systems around the world.
What the op is describing , using a very strong magnet with the coins , and
as other posters have said about it , as a conductor cuts magnetic field lines
an electrical current is produced int the metal. even non ferrous metals, that
is one reason electricity can be generated.

Here is a video that describes to a "T" what the op is describing in the use of
a strong magnet and coins.

Note> the plate is aluminum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlnzhItJhZw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current)

This principle is used in braking systems , newer roller coasters are one
example, Plus coin operated machines for slug detection and many
other applications.

asolarsilver
22nd January 2011, 07:15 AM
Wow. This is really interesting. So, where can I go buy a rare earth magnet to test my new 100 oz Englehard I bought from a local dealer for $3,030 cash? And, is there any way to test if it has been hollowed out and filled with lead? What else can I do to test it? I got on my digital bathroom scale, held it and weighed myself, and then weighed myself again without it. It came in at 7.2 lbs, and it was in the clear plastic box. I figured 6.85 lbs plus scale error and the plastic box would account for the deifference of 0.35 lbs.

Robert
22nd January 2011, 07:21 AM
Wow. This is really interesting. So, where can I go buy a rare earth magnet to test my new 100 oz Englehard I bought from a local dealer for $3,030 cash? And, is there any way to test if it has been hollowed out and filled with lead? What else can I do to test it? I got on my digital bathroom scale, held it and weighed myself, and then weighed myself again without it. It came in at 7.2 lbs, and it was in the clear plastic box. I figured 6.85 lbs plus scale error and the plastic box would account for the deifference of 0.35 lbs.

I bought it from eBay, try searching for "NEODYMIUM MAGNET"

"Neodymium magnets are supplied in power bands or grades. Our normal magnets are N42 power. Many suppliers sell power band N35 or N38.
These magnets are N52, which is the highest grade that can be produced by any manufacturer. This is the strongest magnet available for it's size - an absolute breakthrough!"

gunDriller
22nd January 2011, 07:38 AM

you can also get them by taking apart an old hard drive from a computer.

usually that will require some of those "torx" screw-drivers or a set of allen wrenches.

I bought it from eBay, try searching for "NEODYMIUM MAGNET"

"Neodymium magnets are supplied in power bands or grades. Our normal magnets are N42 power. Many suppliers sell power band N35 or N38.
These magnets are N52, which is the highest grade that can be produced by any manufacturer. This is the strongest magnet available for it's size - an absolute breakthrough!"

Quixote2
22nd January 2011, 08:53 AM
Pass a conductor through a magnetic field and you generate electricity. The electricity is going to most probably circulate in a coin. The magnetic field reacts with the electrical current to produce a force. Think right hand rule ... index finger in direction of current, middle finger in direction of magnetic field and thumb in direction of force produced.

If the coin is stationary and the magnet is moved then the faster you move the magnet the more force you will generate.

And the force is different for different metals. You could drop coins through a strong magnetic field and they would be deflected. Coins of different metals would be deflected different amounts. ...... Why, you could build a coin sorter to sort copper pennys from zinc pennys......

Ragnarok
23rd January 2011, 01:57 PM
A computer hard drive contains a nice pair of RE magnets conveniently pre-mounted on a thick steel backplate. Bad hard drives are available almost anywhere - if you don't already have any lying around ask your computer-repair-savvy friends or try asking at a local repair shop.

Btw, this hysteresis/eddy current induction effect will be very similar on a filled bar and may not be a definitive test method outside a lab.

Silver being the best electrical conductor will exhibit the maximum effect compared to other (non-ferrous) metals, as the moving magnetic field induces maximum current flow in it.

2c, R.

MrSilverAG
7th February 2011, 02:43 AM
Do a search on EBAY for shrunken coin. A guy in Illinois makes a coil to match the coin, charges up a huge capacitor and blasts the energy through the coil while the coin is inside it. The stored energy destroys the coil in a flash of light, the magnetic field generated creates a circulating current which partially melts the coin and which then reacts with the magnetic field to make the melted coin both thicker and smaller in diameter while leaving the struck impression mostly unchanged.

He sells these for around $20.

neat, does that work with silver and gold coins too ? not that I would do that to a gold coin, but maybe a generic silver round that I didn't particularly like

Also, Robert - neat video moving those silver bars with a magnet!

Bullion_Bob
8th February 2011, 08:32 AM
That is certainly news to me that anything other than ferrous reacts to magnetic fields (anything large enough tos ee and hold, anyway).

I have a stack of high powered magnets, and there is a very pronounced resistance current effect. Very different from a magnetic effect. The magnet induces a pretty wild current in the silver due to it's high conductivity.

With a 10oz bar in a plastic sleeve I can tilt the bar way past 60 degrees from horitontal and rotate my wrist all over the place and back without it sliding off. Anything else would just slip right off in less than a second a few degrees past horizontal.

Very pronounced magnetic current effect with Silver.

keehah
14th November 2011, 04:11 AM
The diamagnetic silver slide in action:
(more fun with silver)

TESTING COUNTERFEIT MORGAN / PEACE SILVER COINS FAKES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gUjuS5TzwI
The sliding starts at 2:45.

TomD
17th November 2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks for that, didn't know that property of silver interacting with a magnetic field. Sorta suspect that some method beyond weight and measure will be necessary sometime soon.