PDA

View Full Version : Postal Service Eyes Closing Thousands of Post Offices

Book
24th January 2011, 06:53 AM
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/P1-AZ178_POSTOF_NS_20110123164803.jpg

Postal Service Eyes Closing Thousands of Post Offices

Linky (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704881304576094000352599050.html?m od=WSJ_hp_MIDDLETopStories)

sirgonzo420
24th January 2011, 06:57 AM
Yeah, they're gonna outsource the post offices to China.

Libertarian_Guard
24th January 2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah, they're gonna outsource the post offices to China.

Why not allow Fedex or UPS daily home delivery. They can run circles around Postal workers and make them look like they are standing still.

Ponce
24th January 2011, 08:56 AM
I believe that the USP is a "private" company (like the Fed) that has nothing to do with the US government, am I right?

willie pete
24th January 2011, 09:08 AM
I know one thing, it's cheaper to use the USPS than say UPS....I shipped out a package(2 lbs) Friday next-day air via UPS, and since UPS doesn't deliver on weekends (Unless I wanted to pay another $15 for a Saturday delivery) it will be delivered today (it's domestic delivery)...so it'll still be 3 days in transit..total cost after: service options(having someone sign for it),fuel surcharge,delivery area surcharge... $59.75 :o ...IF I could've used the USPS...it would've been around $25-$30 AND been delivered Saturday

chad
24th January 2011, 09:10 AM
I know one thing, it's cheaper to use the USPS than say UPS....I shipped out a package(2 lbs) Friday next-day air via UPS, and since UPS doesn't deliver on weekends (Unless I wanted to pay another $15 for a Saturday delivery) it will be delivered today (it's domestic delivery)...so it'll still be 3 days in transit..total cost after: service options(having someone sign for it),fuel surcharge,delivery area surcharge... $59.75 :o ...IF I could've used the USPS...it would've been around $25-$30 AND been delivered Saturday

ups might be more expensive, but at least:

1) it will arrive
2) it will arrive and not be all smashed up

Ponce
24th January 2011, 09:20 AM
While in CA a next day envelope, with a check for $10,000, took only 2.5 MONTHS to get to me......what what did the post office had to say about this? "Sorry about this, would you like a refund?" :-\

willie pete
24th January 2011, 09:37 AM

ups might be more expensive, but at least:

1) it will arrive
2) it will arrive and not be all smashed up

Hey I'm no cheerleader for the USPS...I'm just saying typically the USPS is cheaper, and if you ship something once a month or so..no problem, but if you're shipping multiple parcels; those few dollars difference on EVERY item ADD up....Just saying too...I've never had anything smashed up through the USPS and (knock on wood) never had anything lost..

willie pete
24th January 2011, 09:43 AM
While in CA a next day envelope, with a check for $10,000, took only 2.5 MONTHS to get to me......what what did the post office had to say about this? "Sorry about this, would you like a refund?" :-\

that's really weird ponche......'cause overnight/next-day are scanned and tracked at EVERY point...and typically they guarantee it, so they hustle those out, 'cause they don't want to pick up the $20-$30 tab for postage on those ....the only point I'm making is that typically the USPS is cheaper to ship with ....also I shopped Fed-Ex and they were only about $5 cheaper than UPS...

Cobalt
24th January 2011, 09:56 AM
Several years ago I bought and sold a lot on eBay, shipped exclusively through USPS and out of a couple thousand packages I had one complaint of non delivery.
During that time I received probably 7 hundred packages though USPS, UPS, Fedex, and DHL 90% of them were through USPS

Better then 99% through USPS arrived fine
Probably 20% through UPS arrived beat up
At least 50% through Fedex arrived beat up
Only received maybe 10 packages through DHL and they were okay

willie pete
24th January 2011, 10:12 AM
Several years ago I bought and sold a lot on eBay, shipped exclusively through USPS and out of a couple thousand packages I had one complaint of non delivery.
During that time I received probably 7 hundred packages though USPS, UPS, Fedex, and DHL 90% of them were through USPS

Better then 99% through USPS arrived fine
Probably 20% through UPS arrived beat up
At least 50% through Fedex arrived beat up
Only received maybe 10 packages through DHL and they were okay

yea for multiple shippings USPS will save you $$$'s ....I just ran a query for postage USPS vs UPS on 2 lbs ground(UPS 3 days) ...$15.17 ....USPS could do it for $5.20 ...$10 difference; multiple $10 times 40 per week...

k-os
24th January 2011, 10:21 AM
One positive story about the post office . . . my dad mailed a letter to me via United States Postal Service from South Florida on a Saturday to a mountain town in California, and it arrived on a Monday. I thought it was pretty amazing.

Ponce
24th January 2011, 10:25 AM
Well Willie.......Fed X lost two packages from Cuba when I was bringing my brother in from Cuba.......the intersting thing is that they were lost when already in Oregon and not in transit from Cuba.

K-os?.......I did have the post office manager bring me in a next day delivery on a Saturday in the middle of a snow storm with about 2 feet of snow on the ground ..........but of course she knew that I was one of those that was supposed to send a report about the post office in my town to DC once a week... or so was the "rummor", spread by myself hahahahahahahahha.

sirgonzo420
24th January 2011, 10:26 AM
One positive story about the post office . . . my dad mailed a letter to me via United States Postal Service from South Florida on a Saturday to a mountain town in California, and it arrived on a Monday. I thought it was pretty amazing.

And if the letter wasn't too heavy it only cost about 44 cents.

What else can you do with 44 cents?

Libertarian_Guard
24th January 2011, 01:07 PM
Allow Fedex & UPS daily home delivery to your MAILBOX (something which they can't do now) and the Postal Service will wither away. Guaranteed.

midnight rambler
24th January 2011, 01:15 PM
Allow Fedex & UPS daily home delivery to your MAILBOX (something which they can't do now) and the Postal Service will wither away. Guaranteed.

Careful what you wish for.

http://everyview.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/dsc01420.jpg

willie pete
24th January 2011, 01:29 PM
Well Willie.......Fed X lost two packages from Cuba when I was bringing my brother in from Cuba.......the intersting thing is that they were lost when already in Oregon and not in transit from Cuba.

K-os?.......I did have the post office manager bring me in a next day delivery on a Saturday in the middle of a snow storm with about 2 feet of snow on the ground ..........but of course she knew that I was one of those that was supposed to send a report about the post office in my town to DC once a week... or so was the "rummor", spread by myself hahahahahahahahha.

Like I'm saying, I'm NO cheerleader for the USPS..I think their customer service sucks, but as far as postage rates, they are the cheapest and still fairly reliable

Now which one are you gonna use to ship those (9) 100 Oz Ag Engelhard bars (63 lbs) to Manhattan? UPS wants $52.50 (3-days) USPS wants $10.95 (3-Days)

Rebel Yarr
24th January 2011, 01:36 PM
Only .gov can eff up a monopoly on a market - They own home delivery for fucks sake! Hell they are paid to deliver this shit - and we still have to subsidize their inefficiencies!!!

I hope they go the way of the Dino - I am sick of my mailbox filling up with adds...worthless ass service IMO.

Best thing I ever did was to get a UPS box - they sign for my shit and throw any adds away.

Libertarian_Guard
24th January 2011, 01:53 PM

Careful what you wish for.

http://everyview.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/dsc01420.jpg

USPS Reports $8.5 Billion Loss For 2010

The United States Postal Service (USPS) reported a loss of $8.5 billion for the latest fiscal year, which ended Sept. 30, $4.7 billion more than the previous year.

http://www.nptimes.com/10nov/11122010.html