PDA

View Full Version : Why does this have to be on my birthday?

AndreaGail
27th January 2011, 06:33 AM
ruins an otherwise great day
http://www.regent.edu/lib/images/IHRD_poster_4x6.jpg

Awoke
27th January 2011, 06:33 AM
Happy Birthday!

MAGNES
27th January 2011, 06:42 AM
Happy Birthday !

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu275/jbritt67/Guns/gun_cake.jpg

chad
27th January 2011, 06:46 AM
hey, it's my birthday today as well. the big 39.

happy b-day andrea!

sirgonzo420
27th January 2011, 06:46 AM
There are at least two holocaust remembrance days... (one for goys and one for jews?)

The UN designated January 27th (today) as "International Holocaust Remembrance Day".

The jews observe "Yom HaShoah" ("Holocaust Remembrance Day") on the 27th of the jewish month of nissan (which is sometime in April-May).

There's also this:

The Days of Remembrance of the Victims of the Holocaust (DRVH) is an annual 8-day period designated by the United States Congress for civic commemorations and special educational programs that help citizens remember and draw lessons from the Holocaust. The annual DRVH period normally begins on the Sunday before the Jewish observance of Yom Hashoah, Holocaust Memorial Day, and continues through the following Sunday, usually in April or May. A National Civic Commemoration is held in Washington, D.C., with state, city, and local ceremonies and programs held in most of the fifty states, and on U.S. military ships and stations around the world. The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum designates a theme for each year's programs, and provides materials to help support remembrance efforts.

The President's Commission on the Holocaust recommended that the Days of Remembrance annual observance "occur on days when Americans worship in the churches and synagogues of the nation...", to encompass the internationally recognized Holocaust Remembrance Day, Yom Hashoah, the 27th of the month of Nissan on the Hebrew calendar. That date also marks the anniversary of significant American involvement in the liberation of the concentration camps.[1]

In 2005, the United Nations established a different date for International Holocaust Remembrance Day, Jan. 27, but the Yom HaShoa date of Nisan 27 continues as the date for the determination of the 8-day DRVH commemoration. This date also links the DRVH to the anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.[2]

btw, happy birfday andrea and chad!

bellevuebully
27th January 2011, 06:53 AM
Happy birthday to both of you! |--0--|

Santa
27th January 2011, 07:42 AM
Damn, it's my birthday too... :boohoo

sirgonzo420
27th January 2011, 07:57 AM
Damn, it's my birthday too... :boohoo

psh, yeah whatever, you're just jumpin' on the bandwagon!

:D

Awoke
27th January 2011, 08:04 AM
Happy Birthday to you too, Chad.
You as well, Real Jack, if you're telling the truth.

mick silver
27th January 2011, 08:17 AM
Happy Birthday

madfranks
27th January 2011, 10:23 AM
Ha ha! That's funny, I'd laugh at you if you were here. ;D

Well happy birthday anyway chad and andreagail, I wish you both the best!

chad
27th January 2011, 10:26 AM
thanks everyone. shaping up to be a good day. my wife baked me a cherry pie, and the kids picked homemade mac n cheese for me for dinner. ;D

Libertytree
27th January 2011, 10:30 AM
Happy B day to all of you! And don't feel too bad, I got stuck with friggin Earth Day :oo-->

k-os
27th January 2011, 10:33 AM
Wow! Happy birthday AndreaGail, chad, and Santa!

ximmy
27th January 2011, 10:34 AM
Happy Birthday... May you both have many more reasons to celebrate... :P

sirgonzo420
27th January 2011, 10:49 AM
thanks everyone. shaping up to be a good day. my wife baked me a cherry pie, and the kids picked homemade mac n cheese for me for dinner. ;D

you deserve this day....

....especially because the rest of the year you are in total submission to your wife!

chad
27th January 2011, 10:59 AM

you deserve this day....

....especially because the rest of the year you are in total submission to your wife!

;D

Winston Smith
27th January 2011, 11:02 AM
Birthday Greetings from Woodstock and me to both of ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpjNLjBbVd4

Winston Smith
27th January 2011, 11:19 AM
On the brighter side of this day in History

On January 27, 1877, Harper's Weekly featured a cartoon about the Electoral College controversy.
http://elections.harpweek.com/NYT/0101/012777l.jpg
"Compromise-Indeed!"
Artist: Thomas Nast
his Harper's Weekly cartoon by Thomas Nast concerns the Electoral Commission Act passed by Congress to resolve the disputed presidential election of 1876.

In that election, the electoral vote returns were disputed in three Southern states-Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina, as was the eligibility of one elector in Oregon. Democratic nominee Samuel J. Tilden narrowly won the popular vote, but needed one more electoral vote for a majority in the all-important Electoral College. Republican nominee Rutherford B. Hayes need all 20 of the disputed electoral votes to become president. After much acrimony and mutual recriminations, Congress passed the Electoral College Act in January 1877, which established a commission of five Senators, five Representatives, and five Supreme Court justices to decide the issue.

This cartoon registers the dissatisfaction that many Republicans, including candidate Rutherford Hayes, felt about the Electoral Commission Act: "Compromise-Indeed!" reads the caption. Democrats, on the other hand, widely supported the law, despite misgivings by candidate Samuel Tilden. Dominating this picture is the image of the cocked pistol and bullwhip, their meaning reinforced by menacing quotes-"Tilden or Blood"-printed on a profusion of papers. To cartoonist Thomas Nast, at this point, the commission was merely an institutionalized way to allow Democratic coercion to prevail.

Subsequently, however, the presumptive 15th member of the Electoral Commission, Justice David Davis, was elected to the U.S. Senate by the Illinois state legislature. Davis was assumed to be sympathetic to the Democratic position, so when his place on the commission was taken by Justice Joseph Bradley, a Republican, cartoonist Thomas Nast's view of the compromise improved considerably. In the end, the Electoral Commission would vote eight to seven to grant all the disputed electoral votes, and hence the presidency, to Hayes.

Rob Kennedy

madfranks
27th January 2011, 11:36 AM
Happy B day to all of you! And don't feel too bad, I got stuck with friggin Earth Day :oo-->

Ha ha, really? My birthday is the anniversary of Abe Lincoln's death.

Antonio
27th January 2011, 11:47 AM

happy b-day andrea!

Happy B-day!
PS.I`m 39 too, the 40 is coming soon (I`m Aries, the G-d of war).

JDRock
27th January 2011, 11:51 AM
Happy b day all..

AndreaGail
27th January 2011, 03:59 PM
thanks for the birthday wishes everyone shaping up to be a pretty good day :)

(and happy b-day to chad as well!)
the big 2-2 in case anyone was wondering ;D

zap
27th January 2011, 04:06 PM
Sorry, late to the party,

Happy Birthday AndreaGail and Chad !!!! :sun:

Trinity
27th January 2011, 04:12 PM
Happy Birthday Andy!

osoab
27th January 2011, 04:24 PM
Happy Birthday Andrea Gail & Chad.

chad
27th January 2011, 05:18 PM

happy b-day andrea!

Happy B-day!
PS.I`m 39 too, the 40 is coming soon (I`m Aries, the G-d of war).

thanks again everyone. family is all alive, healthy, in our house, finances secure, doing well. everyone is blessesd. i might die from carbohydrate overdose tonight, but that is the most of my worries.

andrea...22, enjoy it!

EE_
27th January 2011, 05:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMV1IwYYSpg&feature=related