PDA

View Full Version : Almost 1,000 people turn out to fight for Medicaid

Book
29th January 2011, 08:00 AM
http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2011/01/28/13/0129localjfacmed1.standalone.prod_affiliate.36.JPG

Almost 1,000 people turn out to fight for Medicaid

Copyright: © 2011 Idaho Statesman
Published: 01/29/11

Some of Idaho’s must vulnerable citizens and their advocates came to the Capitol on Friday to deliver emotional testimony and implore budget writers to find ways of balancing the state’s budget without drastic cuts to Medicaid.

Lawmakers heard from 82 residents during the four-hour meeting.

“You guys are my only hope,” said Jack Hansen, a Special Olympian from Boise. He said cuts will likely force him from a certified family home, where he has a measure of independence and a place in the community, into a group home.

Some carried photos of their children. Others spoke of tragic accidents that dramatically altered their lives and forced them to seek aid. A handful said they adopted children with needs, knowing the burdens they would face.

“The comments were very heart-wrenching and touching,” said Senate Finance Committee Chairman Dean Cameron, R-Rupert, who pushed for the budget committee to accept public testimony for the first time.

Last week, Idahoans weighed in on state school Superintendent Tom Luna’s plan to reform the public education system.

Friday’s testimony was far more emotional, as lawmakers got a close look at the impact of proposed cuts. While conceding that some cuts would have to be made, many citizens called on legislators to raise additional revenues rather than gut the services they have come to depend on.

“I’ve been in two group homes and, believe me, it’s not very fun,” Hansen said. “I know for a fact if you make these cuts, I will have to go back to a group home. I made a promise to myself that I would not go back without a fight.”

Hansen finished to a round of applause, the only time the well-behaved crowd broke decorum.

To deal with the state’s budget shortfall, Gov. Butch Otter recommended nearly $25 million in state Medicaid cuts, largely to adult services. When combined with federal matching dollars, the cut is nearly $84 million.

Otter and leaders in the Senate and House indicated Friday the budget hole could be much deeper than Otter had originally forecast.

“I am always grateful to put a face with a number,” said House Appropriations Committee chairwoman Maxine Bell, R-Jerome. “But the number is still what I have to work with.”

The following are some of the comments from those who testified:

Mark Reinhardt was the first person to testify. He spoke in opposition to cuts to the adult services, such as psycho-social rehabilitation, that have helped him “follow my American dream of becoming the next Edward R. Murrow or Walter Cronkite.”

“Without these services I would be institutionalized or imprisoned,” Reinhardt told the committee.

Amy Bertram, who testified on behalf of her daughter, who has a developmental disability, said they “don’t want to send this message to adults with disabilities that we don’t think they’re capable of doing any more.”

Greg Renshaw has been a quadriplegic for more than 20 years since an auto accident. He said he requires assistance to get in and out of bed, to brush his teeth and to do “all the things able-bodied people take for granted.”

“I’m at risk of losing my home and independence and quality of life,” he said. “The bottom line is quality of life — let me keep mine, please.”

Debra Parsons adopted three children “knowing full well they had some pretty profound disabilities.” She said she was “meant to do this,” saying of her son: It is “quite likely that Dakota will cure cancer. I’m not sure he will ever be able to tie his shoes or make change for a dollar, but he is brilliant.”

“Do not cut services to those that are struggling to become all that they can be,” Parsons said.[0x0b]

Elizabeth Reedy, an eighth-grader at North Junior High in Boise who has autism, told the committee of her hopes and dreams.

“I want to have an apartment and a cat named Adam and a rabbit named Chocolate Syrup,” she said. “I want to have a job.”

She said she worked as a volunteer at a hospital last year. In order to accomplish her goals, Elizabeth said, she has to develop skills. To do that, she needs her aides.

Elizabeth’s mother, Phoebe Smith, said that when she was younger, a neighbor had Down syndrome and was treated “not as a person but as an object of shame.”

When Elizabeth was diagnosed with autism, Smith’s mother told her not to tell anyone. Someone else told her if she beat her daughter, Elizabeth would be “less autistic.”

“As long as I’m alive she will never be institutionalized,” Smith said. But she worries about Elizabeth’s future after she can no longer look out for her daughter. “It’s up to me, but the choice is also in part yours. Please choose to fund developmental services for children and adults.”

Taryn Ivie told the story of her 14-year-old adopted daughter, who has the cognitive skills of a 5-year-old. “We do not want a handout, we just want help,” she said.

Ivie said the biggest problem is the abuse of Medicaid. “Do not cut services, but curtail and weed out the abuse,” she said.

Tonia Stephens testified with her son Ricky, who she said works at McDonald’s and was recently honored for his stellar work. “He is this way because of your services,” Stephens said, as her son gave a thumbs-up to the crowd.

She said cutting those services would set Ricky back. “Please don’t balance the budget on the backs of the least fortunate citizens,” she said.

Cynthia McCurdy testified on behalf of her daughter, who is developmentally delayed and has many health challenges. “Volunteerism is not a substitute for health care,” she said. “We are failing those that need us the most.”

Paul Tierney, a parent from Nampa, fought back tears as he described his son Nicholas, who was diagnosed with autism at 3.

“He is capable of great things,” Tierney said. “They need to be supported so they can achieve their full potential.”

Denise Wetzel said her son tried to bite his developmental therapist last week and, “I cringe to think what might have happened if he had been out with a volunteer. ... No one should have to live a life of isolation due to a developmental disability.”

Janet Boyce spoke on behalf of her two autistic daughters, particularly Kimberly. “Children services taught her how to learn. Adult services have taught her how to live,” she said.[0x0b]

Monsignor Andrew Schumacher, a Catholic priest, said, “We are a state that takes care of the unborn, but we must also take care of people with disabilities.”

Bob Van Arnem of Eagle asked lawmakers not to mandate an increase in the amount counties must provide for indigent care before the state picks up the cost of health care for people who can’t afford their treatment. Last year, that cap rose from $10,000 to $11,000. After listening to two hours of testimony, Arnem said, “I realize how light my burden is.”

Terri Scarrow told the story of how a drunk driver upended her family on Christmas Eve 2001, severely injuring her two daughters. “Please remember anyone can lose their competence,” Scarrow said. “Think where you would be and where you would want to be cared for.”

Ruth Gneiting, 84, said she has been in a wheelchair since a car accident in 1982. She said by living at home she has saved the state more than $60,500 a year and, as a homeowner, has been able to contribute to the economy through property taxes. Gneiting has lived in her home for “64 years and I hope to remain there until I croak,” drawing laughter from committee and audience members.

“Please keep in mind that you and your loved ones are only seconds away — one mistake and seconds away — from life-altering changes,” she said. “And you would realize how vital these services are to us.”

Samuel E. Page testified with his 21-year-old wheelchair-bound son, Jonathan, who was involved in a near-drowning accident when he was 15. He asked lawmakers to think of “all the Jonathans that cannot speak for themselves.”

Your Tax Dollars (http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/01/29/1506901/a-moving-morning-for-idaho-lawmakers.html)

mamboni
29th January 2011, 08:24 AM
$25 million in cuts will have a huge impact on so many people; yet, this amount is only 1/4 of a single year bonus for Jamie Dimon. It goes to show how completely screwed up our values are in this country. Yes, free trade and rewards for hard work are important to a healthy economy. But these fuckers on Wall Street have gone way beyond usual commerce and markets: this is corporate fascism at it's most extreme and horrible. Dimon et al. are sucking the life out of the economy and causing misery and suffering for millions out of pure greed.

kregener
29th January 2011, 08:25 AM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/Kregener/Slavery.jpg

Book
29th January 2011, 08:29 AM
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

When the able-bodied can't find a job, any job, Voc Rehab (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=573&q=voc+rehab&gbv=2&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw#sclient=psy&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=573&gbv=2&source=hp&q=voc+rehab&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=voc+rehab&pbx=1&fp=d9008d84f286047) for the disabled is a silly waste of tax money.

ShortJohnSilver
29th January 2011, 09:15 AM
It is tough to strike the proper balance between compassion and the recognition that none of these folks are going to help America or humanity progress.

What I mean is, compassion is good, but so is having a society that can grow and be healthy; there is too much helping the weak catch up and not enough helping the potentially strong become stronger.

kregener
29th January 2011, 09:26 AM
Look at the 2 slobs who ate their way to 'disability' in the photo. I am sure the room is sprinkled with a few more.

sunshine05
29th January 2011, 09:29 AM
Look at the 2 slobs who ate their way to 'disability' in the photo. I am sure the room is sprinkled with a few more.

I was thinking the same thing. At first I thought the photo was a joke....Americans are so sickly looking.:(

Twisted Titan
29th January 2011, 09:43 AM
Some of Idaho’s must vulnerable citizens and their advocates came to the Capitol on Friday to deliver emotional testimony and implore budget writers to find ways of balancing the state’s budget without drastic cuts to Medicaid.

“You guys are my only hope,” said Jack Hansen, a Special Olympian from Boise. He said cuts will likely force him from a certified family home, where he has a measure of independence and a place in the community, into a group home.

Some carried photos of their children. Others spoke of tragic accidents that dramatically altered their lives and forced them to seek aid. A handful said they adopted children with needs, knowing the burdens they would face.

“The comments were very heart-wrenching and touching,” said Senate Finance Committee Chairman Dean Cameron, R-Rupert, who pushed for the budget committee to accept public testimony for the first time.

Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves!!!!!

The dispensing of charity belongs with churches and groups that wish to freely volenteer their time energy and resources.

Annull The charter of Medicaid

Libertytree
29th January 2011, 10:07 AM
Almost 1,000 people turn out to fight BEG for Medicaid. Fixed that.

While I am compassionate about these people and others plight, I am not swayed by their argument that it's alright to rob another citizen to subsidize another. Furthermore, if governments, local, state and federal would stop in their continuing assault upon my earnings I might have the ability to help those I choose to. My eagerness to choose to help is completely diminished by the gun pointed at my head demanding I choose to.

Cobalt
29th January 2011, 10:27 AM
Lots of waste in any program could be easily found if inspectors were hired and allowed too look for it.

Years ago I grew up next too a family that had 9 kids, 7 of which were diagnosed as being mildly retarded.
The oldest boy which was my age got a job at the school doing janitorial duties and worked there for a couple years until it was pointed out too him that if you were too stupid to work, Social Security would pay you.

He immediately quit his job and 30 years later he is still collecting a monthly check.

Sounds pretty damn smart too me! :oo-->

Trinity
29th January 2011, 05:20 PM
I feel their pain.

kregener
29th January 2011, 05:22 PM
got a job at the school doing janitorial duties and worked there for a couple years

He immediately quit his job and 30 years later he is still collecting a monthly check.

Just wants to...get what is rightfully his...right?