PDA

View Full Version : silver U.S. coins in your change

Texan
29th January 2011, 08:46 PM
This evening I bought beer and wine at Spec's and then dinner at a BBQ joint. When I got home and emptied my pockets, I heard the glorious, unmistakable clunk of 90% silver coins. Two '64 quarters were in my change! I immediately went back to the BBQ place and exchanged three bills for three duckets worth of quarters. There weren't any silver quarters in the bunch. When I got home and looked at the receipts, it was obvious the silver quarters had to come from the liquor store. They close at 9pm, so if there were anymore, some other lucky person will get them and buy Cheetos from a vending machine. :(

This is the third time I've (knowingly) received silver coins in change. The last time was at a Hawaiian barbecue restaurant in San Pedro, CA where I got a 35% silver War Nickel. I also recognized the silver nickel from the sound as it banged against the lowly clad in my pocket while walking back to my hotel room. The other time I got a silver dime at a convenience store.

Please post y'all's stories too!

Sparky
29th January 2011, 09:30 PM
I've mentioned this one before, but it's a good one...

I was buying a book of stamps at the post office last year. The clerk handed me my change. "Clink-clink!" We both knew it as soon as it hit my hand. His hand remained hovered over mine, resisting the urge to snatch it back, knowing how absurd that would appear. "I think you may have some silver there," he commented. "I think you're right," I said, closing my fist. Cha-ching! It was a 1964 quarter and a 1953 dime.

MNeagle
29th January 2011, 09:34 PM
Hope that clerk doesn't personally know you or your address Sparky...

your mail might be highly screened for any PMs, and go 'missing'!

milehi
30th January 2011, 03:02 PM
I had a garage sale last spring. My brother gave me several black garbage bags of clothes he was going to throw out. I put them out at ten cents for shirts and a quarter for pants. The whole lot was quickly snatched up by a van full of Mexican Mammas who paid with change; almost half of it 90%. They even apologised for having nothing but change. Cha ching ;D

MrSilverAG
31st January 2011, 09:36 PM
nice find! I've not found any silver in my loose change, I'd be quite shocked if I did actually. I know folks who have found silver when searching half dollar rolls but I haven't had luck in that department either.

woodman
1st February 2011, 12:25 AM
I had a garage sale last spring. My brother gave me several black garbage bags of clothes he was going to throw out. I put them out at ten cents for shirts and a quarter for pants. The whole lot was quickly snatched up by a van full of Mexican Mammas who paid with change; almost half of it 90%. They even apologised for having nothing but change. Cha ching ;D

You should have offered to trade them bills for that embarassing change.

madfranks
1st February 2011, 12:14 PM
One day I went to the sporting goods store and got a silver dime in change. Then my very next stop was the gas station where I got a silver quarter in change. I can't begin to imagine the odds of that happening, but it did for me.

Errosion Of Accord
1st February 2011, 03:54 PM
Over the course of at last six years I've only found one dime and I search every coin that comes home with me.

Gangsta99
1st February 2011, 06:10 PM
About 5 years ago working customer service at a major retailer I had a teenager buy 30 bucks worth of CDs in silver quarters. No doubt he raided daddys stash.

I proceeded to cash them out right away.

Had someone also buy a CD a few years before this w/ peace dollars. Cashed those out also. I miss handling $50K a day in cash. Boy did I get a lot of silver that way for face.