PDA

View Full Version : sometimes you forget how much the world has changed

chad
31st January 2011, 03:14 PM
my wife + i almost never let the kids have fast food or soda. maybe 3 times a year.

anyway, we relented tonight. big snowstorm, school cancelled, etc.

i stopped in to a mexican grocery store and bought 1 twelve ounce bottle of the "real" coke (in a glass bottle with the painted on lettering).

my 8 year old daughter was amazed by it. she didn't know what it was. i tried explaining to her that it was soda, but she said "it's in glass." i did the history bit, etc. then she said all excitedly "it doesn't have a plastic label it is real paint!" there were also many remark about "how there's not that much in there, that's a small bottle."

she now wants to save the bottle because it is "so cool."

reminds me of the movie (i can't remember what it's called) when a coke bottle fell out of the sky and the natives find it as a gift from the gods.

anyway, how easily we forget. here's a generation of kids that never have experienced:

1) soda made with cane sugar
2) glass bottles
3) paint for a label
4) normal portion sizes, not 32 ounces as standard

i don't know, i found it quite amusing. ^-^

osoab
31st January 2011, 03:17 PM
The God's Must be Crazy. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080801/)

nunaem
31st January 2011, 03:26 PM
Believe it or not, the actual classic coca cola bottle was 6 ounces. That's how they hooked us on sugar. Don't drink the shit.

sirgonzo420
31st January 2011, 03:26 PM
I know, right?

And it's a damn shame that you gotta get a mexican coke for it to be the real deal (with sugar, no HFCS crap).

osoab
31st January 2011, 03:28 PM
I know, right?

And it's a damn shame that you gotta get a mexican coke for it to be the real deal (with sugar, no HFCS crap).

Pepsi is making throw back pepsi and mountain dew in plastic bottles and cans. Night and day compared to the HFCS.

nunaem
31st January 2011, 03:42 PM
Sucrose(cane sugar) is only marginally better than fructose. Sucrose is half fructose and half glucose. Fruit juices high in fructose are almost as bad as HFCS soda save for the chemicals they add to soda.

sirgonzo420
31st January 2011, 03:47 PM
Sucrose(cane sugar) is only marginally better than fructose. Sucrose is half fructose and half glucose.

I understand they are both chemically similar, and similarly are both unhealthy, but I prefer the taste of drinks made with real sugar. I guess I don't worry about my health too much.

ShortJohnSilver
31st January 2011, 03:50 PM
I know, right?

Pepsi is making throw back pepsi and mountain dew in plastic bottles and cans. Night and day compared to the HFCS.

Absolutely - here is the amazing thing for me - my body tells me to stop drinking after about 12-16 ounces of real-sugar soft drinks. Not so with HFCS.

chad
31st January 2011, 04:06 PM
I know, right?

Absolutely - here is the amazing thing for me - my body tells me to stop drinking after about 12-16 ounces of real-sugar soft drinks. Not so with HFCS.

i don't really drink pop myself, but i have heard MANY people comment on the same thing the last year or so, since throwback has been out.

Hillbilly
31st January 2011, 04:13 PM
The only Decent Export Mexico has to Offer...Coke Cola ;D

Bullion_Bob
31st January 2011, 04:23 PM
I found an 80+ year old Pepsi bottle while doing some metal detecting in a ghost town a while back. The thing is in incredible condition given it's age.

Apparently it's worth about $50-$100 on ebay. If it was unopened it would have been 120+ easily.

Crazy...

Cobalt
31st January 2011, 04:50 PM
Costco was carrying the mexican made coke that is made with real sugar and it tasted like someone dumped several spoons of sugar in it, I couldn't drink more then a couple sips

Ponce
31st January 2011, 04:56 PM
Chad? that was a Australian movie "The End Of The World" I believe.......it was the job of the native Australian to walk (what to them) to the end of the world and to throw the container back.

bob681
31st January 2011, 04:58 PM
Some of the early original Coke bottles were amber.

Bob