PDA

View Full Version : Hot Toddies

muffin
1st February 2011, 12:36 PM
Anyone have any good hot toddy recipes?

I've looked up a few online. One suggests hot water, lemon juice, cinnamon stick, whole cloves, honey and whiskey (Jack Daniels). People were commenting that it tasted like watered down whiskey. Some suggest Scotch Whisky. Another website said hot TEA, lemon juice, honey and brandy. Some suggestions of Earl Grey tea or orange spice. I don't have Earl Grey. I do, however, have Tension Tamer by Celestial Seasonings (it has catnip in it and the cat is tryin to run off with the box..), chamomile, I Love Lemon tea, other various berry-type teas and some kind of breakfast tea.

I just texted my mom for her recipe but I'm pretty sure she uses hot tea, honey, lemon and Crown Royal. But I don't have CR...

I have brandy, Jack Daniels, Scotch whisky, tequila, vodka, rum and gin....

TheNocturnalEgyptian
1st February 2011, 01:24 PM
What I like is hot apple cider. Warm it over the stove and stir in some whikey. Other alcohols would work too but I like whiskey.

Another one is tea, lemon juice, and honey schnapps.

muffin
1st February 2011, 01:42 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing as honey schnapps. I hadn't thought of using apple cider either. I have the instant powder stuff for apple cider. I might try that next. I ended up making hot tea, added lemon, honey and brandy. Apparently I don't have any JD, only Scotch whisky.

Thank you!!

sirgonzo420
1st February 2011, 06:46 PM
How about a warm, mulled glass of mead?

8)

k-os
1st February 2011, 07:05 PM
My brother in law is a hot Toddie.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
2nd February 2011, 07:32 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing as honey schnapps. I hadn't thought of using apple cider either. I have the instant powder stuff for apple cider. I might try that next. I ended up making hot tea, added lemon, honey and brandy. Apparently I don't have any JD, only Scotch whisky.

Thank you!!

I like this stuff:

http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/images/Product/large/Barenjager.jpg

"Barenjager" or "Bear Trap"

joe_momma
2nd February 2011, 08:48 PM
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Cloves
1-2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 oz rum
add boiling water to fill the cup

Stir, allow to stand for 1 minute

Repeat as needed.

Buddha
2nd February 2011, 10:58 PM
I've always just done

Tea, chamomile
pure lemon juice
pure honey
brandy

it usually just ends up

brandy

muffin
3rd February 2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks, guys! It all sounds yummy...

1 Tablespoon butter
2 Cloves
1-2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 oz rum
add boiling water to fill the cup

Stir, allow to stand for 1 minute

Repeat as needed.

:o That sounds rich! I'll have to try that one.

SLV^GLD
3rd February 2011, 10:23 AM
I have brandy, Jack Daniels, Scotch whisky, tequila, vodka, rum and gin....
Based on what you have I would be using the Brandy first, the Rum second and the Tequila last. My toddies are always made with Brandy but I know I could swing a good one from Rum. I've had astoundingly good one made from tequila but I would be in uncharted territory to attempt it myself.

muffin
3rd February 2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks, SLV^GLD. The brandy was actually pretty good! I've always heard of toddies being made from Crown Royal probably because that's what my mom drank. She got back to me about that. She makes her's with water, lemon, honey and CR (or whisky of some sort).

basplaer
10th February 2011, 03:27 PM
Half a lemon, squeezed and leave it in the mug
3 whole cloves
A bit of cinnamon stick
1 T honey
1 shot Irish whiskey ( Scotch is just too darned good to adulterate!)
Hot water to fill the rest of the mug

I've also put a lil bit of coriander in if I'm feeling better enough to grind some

big country
11th February 2011, 06:26 PM
We just had:

4 cups water
1 tsp lemon peel
6 whole cloves
Boil, let sit for 3 minutes

Pour over 5 Tea bags of your choice, let steep for 5 minutes
Add honey to taste

Pour 8oz into a glass, garnish with apple slices and a cinnamon stick. Add 1 jigger (1.5-2oz) rum in each glass

Makes 4, 8oz servings.

First time I've ever had it, found the recipe in "The Backwoodsman" magazine. Great Mag btw.

SLV^GLD
11th February 2011, 07:01 PM
...found the recipe in "The Backwoodsman" magazine. Great Mag btw.
Don't you people have at least a couple bartender guides laying around? I mean, seriously, The Backwoodsman for bar recipes?! Try Mr. Boston at the very least.

big country
21st February 2011, 11:12 AM
...found the recipe in "The Backwoodsman" magazine. Great Mag btw.
Don't you people have at least a couple bartender guides laying around? I mean, seriously, The Backwoodsman for bar recipes?! Try Mr. Boston at the very least.

Nope no bar tender guides...and I've never heard of a Mr. Boston. Is he related to Tom Collins?

SLV^GLD
21st February 2011, 11:17 AM
I've never heard of a Mr. Boston. Is he related to Tom Collins?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Mr._Boston

Berkowitz, :D