PDA

View Full Version : Peak Oil=Peak Food=Peak People

mick silver
7th February 2011, 08:45 AM
http://www.321energy.com/editorials/moriarty/moriarty020711.html ... It should be reasonable to most people to understand that energy is an analog for food. If you look at a chart of oil production and compare it to population, it seems obvious that food and fuel are the same thing under a different cloak. Energy is food is population.

That creates a giant problem. Not for me, I'm old. But for you. Peak oil means peak food means peak population. The revolution in Tunisia first; now Egypt and soon in Serbia are not about religion or dictators or police states. We have a police state in the United States; no one cares. No one gives a hoot about dictators until they can no longer afford food. Then they care and the walls come tumbling down.

The uprising in Egypt began as a protest against the rapidly rising cost of food and fuel. Eventually, everyone with an agenda got involved from the Muslim Brotherhood to Israel to the United States. None of them understand the most basic issue because of their agenda which doesn't care about reality or solving the problem.

We passed peak oil back in 2005 or 2006 depending on whom you want to believe. Peak oil means peak food and that makes for peak people. Therein lies the issue. You can cut down on your consumption of fuel by simple driving less or living a more sane existence. For example, the average foodstuff consumed in the United States travels 2900 miles but it's only 2500 miles from San Francisco to New York.

Cutting down on food consumption creates even more problems and cutting down on population is really problematical. Unless of course you are George Bush and Dick Cheney. They were masters at population control.

Estimates say 40% of the population in Egypt survives, barely, on $2 a day. The price increase in basic foodstuff estimated at 40% over the last two years has been devastating. Therefore it's time to riot.

There really is no simple solution. Changing the head of state in Egypt will prove to be as effective as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. We are not out of oil; we are just out of cheap oil. Energy prices will go up and with them, food prices are going up and going to stay up.

What we can do is make more efficient use of the productive land we do have. We need to squeeze out more bushels of wheat and corn from the land we already use. Potash is a perfect solution.

Back in 2008 when oil prices rocketed up to $146 a barrel and dragged food prices with it, the price of potash shot up to about $875 a metric ton, a new record. While every other commodity was plummeting, potash was strong but even potash eventually corrected. The price dropped to just above $310 a ton in early 2010 before stabilizing at about $350 in late 2010.

About 93% of the world's potash consumption is for the use of fertilizers. We need potash for agriculture because it improves yield, water retention, taste, color and the texture of food. It can be applied to almost any fruit or vegetable.

ShortJohnSilver
7th February 2011, 08:54 AM
Peak oil is a myth, do your own research about it; I have and that is my position. Therefore the rest of the article is bunk.

Ponce
7th February 2011, 09:09 AM
Like a drug addict that need his drug the world needs its oil......we were before oil and we can be after oil, but only if we do it the right way.......the government needs more oil than the people and that's why the wars over oil.

My hope is that the world will turn it's clock back 200 years and start again on a blank piece of paper and that from its lesson from the past start a new worl with less mistakes......but of course the same mistakes will be done all over again and that's why we have had so many civilisations in this world and with none of them lasting for very long.

"We can live without oil, but not without water"... Ponce

oldmansmith
7th February 2011, 09:24 AM
Peak oil is a myth, do your own research about it; I have and that is my position. Therefore the rest of the article is bunk.

Whether peak oil is real or not is irrelevant. TPTB are acting like it is, and will make sure peak people comes to pass. Count on it.

Hatha Sunahara
7th February 2011, 09:43 AM
What was that old Roman saying--Panem et Circensis?

Bread and circuses. As long as the masses have food and entertainment, TPTB are safe.

I'd like to believe that they are rational and do not want to kill us all off. They depend on us to steal from. You can see how they deal with peak people in China. They have a one baby policy. I doubt that they will engineer a great die-off.

Kissinger refers to the 'useless eaters'. I think those people are the ones who put a drag on his empire by contributing less to the growth of the wealth of the elite than the resources they consume. As long as most of us are productive slaves, we have nothing to worry about. However, when we get old or sick, we're likely vulnerable candidates for euthenasia.

Hatha

Bullion_Bob
7th February 2011, 03:32 PM
Wouldn't the majority of food production energy come from the sun, and rain?

iOWNme
7th February 2011, 04:06 PM
Setting the Peak Oil myth aside...... (Is oil Abiotic? (http://www.questionsquestions.net/docs04/peakoil1.html))

We produce/refine very little oil compared to other countries, yet we use the most. TPTB have systematically killed our ability to produce/refine. And that includes oil.

Not to mention you could absolutely 100% KILL all plastic and oil industry with a small little thing called the Cannabis seed. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis#Industrial_and_personal_uses)

Peak Oil keeps us from talking about Cannabis as the final and end all solution to everything from cotton (clothes that last 100 years), plastic (everything stronger, last longer and 100% biodegradable), oils (renewable energy, ect).....

Ponce
7th February 2011, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't the majority of food production energy come from the sun, and rain?

Bob? at one time it did but we screwed the Earth so much that it needs the "oil help" as a fertiliser to help out, I for one would rather use horse and human shit wich is more nature like.