PDA

View Full Version : DMITRI ORLOV VIDEO: Well Worth Watching !!!

Book
11th February 2011, 03:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrz5ucQACo8

Probably the best thirty minutes I ever spent watching any video. Would be great having a beer with this guy talking doom and gloom...

|--0--|

osoab
12th February 2011, 01:12 PM
Good video. Doom galore for those so inclined. It is the kind of doom that none of us will like and probably not out live.

Book
12th February 2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah...I am really impressed with Orlov's deep-thinking considered responses to these profound questions. He obviously has been observing and pondering this stuff for a very long time.

hoarder
12th February 2011, 08:25 PM
Although he acknowledges that an elite that trasncends political parties runs things, he hasn't figured out what their ambitions are. He thinks they're all about parasitism rather than conquest. Dimitri is a smart guy but not a strategic thinker.

Doom and gloom? I think he's overly optimistic to think the elite will simply fade away and find another host rather than implement totalitarian world government. It won't be a "collapse".

Things will be MUCH worse than Dimitri thinks. :)

JohnQPublic
12th February 2011, 09:21 PM
The Five Stages of Collapse (http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2008/02/five-stages-of-collapse.html)

Transcript fo the Video (Video Interview: The Nation (http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-interview-nation.html)

PatColo
12th February 2011, 10:49 PM
Although he acknowledges that an elite that trasncends political parties runs things, he hasn't figured out what their ambitions are. He thinks they're all about parasitism rather than conquest. Dimitri is a smart guy but not a strategic thinker.

I agree, I listened to it and it was interesting throughout, but Orlov talks like he takes the "accidental" rather than the "conspiratorial" view of history. Acts like events aren't long-planned & engineered.

Some might remember 5 or so years ago I posted Orlov's amazing article "Post-Soviet Lessons for a Post-American Century". It's hard to find a full copy of on the web, but here's a start for anyone interested:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Dmitry+Orlov+%3A+Post-Soviet+Lessons+for+a+Post-American+Century%22+Orlov

old steel
12th February 2011, 11:38 PM
One thing that become clear when studying Dmitri's philosophy of things is his disdain for firearms and the people who own them.

Somehow he envisions a collapsed America where everyone bands together on collective farms to grow vegetables and harness wind and solar power to make the most of things.

No talk of the millions of firearms and nervous trigger fingers as the lights dim, no talk of demographics when it all comes down.

I guess we will all beat our swords into plowshares, hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

Interesting.

Shami-Amourae
13th February 2011, 12:48 AM
More:
http://fora.tv/2009/02/13/Dmitry_Orlov_Social_Collapse_Best_Practices#fullpr ogram

Near the end of the video he talks about how he lives in a sail boat. Kind of cool if you ask me.

kregener
13th February 2011, 06:32 AM
Right up until somebody sinks it...

Sparky
13th February 2011, 05:33 PM
One thing that become clear when studying Dmitri's philosophy of things is his disdain for firearms and the people who own them.

Somehow he envisions a collapsed America where everyone bands together on collective farms to grow vegetables and harness wind and solar power to make the most of things.

No talk of the millions of firearms and nervous trigger fingers as the lights dim, no talk of demographics when it all comes down.

I guess we will all beat our swords into plowshares, hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

Interesting.

Hmm. Did you actually watch the video? I don't think he sends this message at all. Listen to what he says 20:00 to 20:30 about how you'll need to lay low while a segment of society is knocking each other off.

PatColo
13th February 2011, 06:19 PM
Hmm. Did you actually watch the video? I don't think he sends this message at all. Listen to what he says 20:00 to 20:30 about how you'll need to lay low while a segment of society is knocking each other off.

Agreed, I was going to post a similar response but didn't get around to it. I've seen plenty of Orlov's stuff, and he's just matter-of-fact about realities like the high gun-ownership in the US, never heard any clue that he's critical of it. I believe he addresses the matter somewhere in "Post-Soviet Lessons for a Post-American Century" (http://www.google.com/search?q="Post-Soviet+Lessons+for+a+Post-American+Century"+Orlov) too, just use the CTRL-F function of your browser to find the word "gun" and see what he says.

JohnQPublic
13th February 2011, 09:02 PM
What concerns me about his analysis is his apparent unquestioned acceptance of global warming, the ozone hole, and peak oil.

Book
13th February 2011, 09:27 PM
Nobody's perfect. Orlov has pondered some really doomish stuff in all seriousness and, in this video, pauses each time to offer rather thoughtful explanations. He has stared into the abyss...

:)

old steel
14th February 2011, 12:28 PM

Not this particular video but i have listened to several of his lectures and follow his blog. I have gotten the message he believes gun nuts are exactly that.

Nuts.

Book
14th February 2011, 05:23 PM

Not this particular video but i have listened to several of his lectures and follow his blog. I have gotten the message he believes gun nuts are exactly that.

It appears that Orlov's continuing suggestion is that we develop mutual support networks with our family and neighbors. Seems like good advice based upon what he personally witnessed when the Soviet Union collapsed.

|--0--|

Sparky
14th February 2011, 08:28 PM
Russia went through a hyperinflationary collapse, and they are now a stronger, recovering country. Germany went through a hyperinflationary collapse, and they are now probably the strongest country in the European Union. Both of these countries still use paper currency. What makes anyone thing fiat paper as currency is ever going away in the U.S., or anywhere else?

JohnQPublic
14th February 2011, 08:56 PM
Russia went through a hyperinflationary collapse, and they are now a stronger, recovering country. Germany went through a hyperinflationary collapse, and they are now probably the strongest country in the European Union. Both of these countries still use paper currency. What makes anyone thing fiat paper as currency is ever going away in the U.S., or anywhere else?

It may or may not. After Germany's hyperinflationary phase, they used silver again.

The gols and silver could come in real handy during the hyperinflationary phase. Whether it will be needed after is another story.

Sparky
14th February 2011, 10:01 PM

It may or may not. After Germany's hyperinflationary phase, they used silver again.

The gols and silver could come in real handy during the hyperinflationary phase. Whether it will be needed after is another story.

Yes, I agree with that.

ximmy
15th February 2011, 12:37 PM
A scripture that kept coming to mind while I was watching the video and thinking, if a similar event transpires here...

"Go, my people, enter your rooms
and shut the doors behind you;
hide yourselves for a little while
until his wrath has passed by." (Is.26:20)

and another:

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." (1 Thes. 4:11)

~ximmy

Book
26th February 2011, 05:17 PM
I didn't watch the video...

Thank you for sharing.

:oo-->

BrewTech
5th March 2011, 08:22 PM
... need to finish watching this later... looks really good!