PDA

View Full Version : Algeria shuts down internet and Facebook as protest mounts

uncletonoose
14th February 2011, 11:00 AM
Maybe the next to fall, the domino syndrome.

Internet providers were shut down and Facebook accounts deleted across Algeria on Saturday as thousands of pro-democracy demonstrators were arrested in violent street demonstrations.

By Nabila Ramdani 7:25PM GMT 12 Feb 2011

Plastic bullets and tear gas were used to try and disperse large crowds in major cities and towns, with 30,000 riot police taking to the streets in Algiers alone.

There were also reports of journalists being targeted by state-sponsored thugs to stop reports of the disturbances being broadcast to the outside world.

But it was the government attack on the internet which was of particular significance to those calling for an end to President Abdelaziz Boutifleka's repressive regime.

Protesters mobilising through the internet were largely credited with bringing about revolutions in Egypt and Tunisia.

"The government doesn't want us forming crowds through the internet," said Rachid Salem, of Co-ordination for Democratic Change in Algeria.

"Security forces are armed to the teeth out on the street, and they're also doing everything to crush our uprising on the internet. Journalists, and especially those with cameras, are being taken away by the police." President Hosni Mubarak had tried to shut down internet service providers during 18 days of protest before stepping down as Egyptian leader on Friday.

Mostafa Boshashi, head of the Algerian League for Human Rights, said: "Algerians want their voices to be heard too. They want democratic change.

"At the moment people are being prevented from travelling to demonstrations. The entrances to cities like Algeria have been blocked."

At least five people were killed in similar protests in Algeria in January, when the Interior Ministry said 1000 people were arrested.

On Saturday at least 500 had been arrested by early evening in Algiers alone, with hundreds more in Annaba, Constantine and Oran taking part in the so-called February 12 Revolution.

"The police station cells are overflowing," said Sofiane Hamidouche, a demonstrator in Annaba.

"There are running battles taking place all over the city. It's chaos. As night falls the situation will get worse."

Algeria has the eighth largest reserves of natural gas in the world, and is also oil-rich, but its youthful population suffers mass unemployment, a chronic lack of housing, and widespread poverty. Political corruption is also endemic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/algeria/8320772/Algeria-shuts-down-internet-and-Facebook-as-protest-mounts.html

chad
14th February 2011, 11:01 AM
bad move. nothing pisses off the gen y crowd like not being able to access their facebook account.

Spectrism
14th February 2011, 11:10 AM
When Iran, Libya & Ethiopia align, then you will know the end is near. Watch for these 3 in particular.

mick silver
14th February 2011, 11:17 AM
spectrism why do you think that? if i can ask .

Spectrism
14th February 2011, 11:36 AM

These three are specifically mentioned with many others to surround Israel....

Eze 38:1 And the Word of Jehovah was to me, saying,
Eze 38:2 Son of man, set your face against Gog, the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal, and prophesy against him.
Eze 38:3 And say, So says the Lord Jehovah: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal.
Eze 38:4 And I will turn you back and put hooks into your jaws. And I will bring you and all your army out: horses and horsemen, all of them clothed most perfectly; a great assembly with buckler and shield, all of them swordsmen.
Eze 38:5 Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya are with them, all of them with shield and helmet;
Eze 38:6 Gomer and all its bands; the house of Togarmah from the recesses of the north, and all its bands; many peoples are with you.

The tribes of the north are mentioned- which could include Russia, Turkey, Georgia.

But notice in this link, that ancient Libya included Egypt, Algeria & Libya of today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Herodotus_world_map-en.svg

Twisted Titan
14th February 2011, 11:53 AM
Syria and Jordan must be shaking in their boots

mick silver
14th February 2011, 12:23 PM
before lone we will not have no friends in the world . then just maybe we can stop senting paper around the world

Spectrism
14th February 2011, 12:46 PM
The worst place to be is in friendship with the US. This country has repeatedly betrayed its own people, its allies and partners. I say this sadly, because I was one of the biggest "patriots" in a neo-con fashion. Now I am a true patriot who has no illusions about the conspiracies and betrayals committed by all levels of government officials.

7th trump
14th February 2011, 12:54 PM

Eze 38:2 Son of man, set your face against Gog, the land of Magog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal, and prophesy against him.
Eze 38:3 And say, So says the Lord Jehovah: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, the prince of Rosh, Meshech, and Tubal.
Eze 38:4 And I will turn you back and put hooks into your jaws. And I will bring you and all your army out: horses and horsemen, all of them clothed most perfectly; a great assembly with buckler and shield, all of them swordsmen.
Eze 38:5 Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya are with them, all of them with shield and helmet;
Eze 38:6 Gomer and all its bands; the house of Togarmah from the recesses of the north, and all its bands; many peoples are with you.

The tribes of the north are mentioned- which could include Russia, Turkey, Georgia.

But notice in this link, that ancient Libya included Egypt, Algeria & Libya of today.

I do beleive this "Rosh" is indeed soviet Russia.
Rosh is written elswhere to attack from the north.

Cobalt
14th February 2011, 12:55 PM
Shutting down the internet is a big mistake and was confirmed on an interview aired last night with the google exec that had been taken into custody during the beginning of the protests in Egypt.

He claimed that basically when people couldn't get information via the web they went in search of information too see what was happening, and as a result a lot of people were caught up in a situation where they may not have been had the info not been restricted.

Bullion_Bob
14th February 2011, 01:07 PM

Is this not a story or sentiment about something that has already happened?

How is it even remotely possible that it is even applicable to events occurring today? Life then was unbelievably different to say the least.

Spectrism
14th February 2011, 06:34 PM

How is it even remotely possible that it is even applicable to events occurring today? Life then was unbelievably different to say the least.

Different in terms of technology- yes. But the nature of the human is the same. If this were the sum total of this story, I would agree with you and there would be nothing more to this. However, there is a track record of fulfilled prophecies given by the famous writers of the bible books and their source transcends time limits. This tells me that they were guided by the only One outside of time. Because of this, we can expect certain things to come. The things written by the prophets should not be disregarded.

Bullion_Bob
14th February 2011, 06:58 PM

Different in terms of technology- yes. But the nature of the human is the same. If this were the sum total of this story, I would agree with you and there would be nothing more to this. However, there is a track record of fulfilled prophecies given by the famous writers of the bible books and their source transcends time limits. This tells me that they were guided by the only One outside of time. Because of this, we can expect certain things to come. The things written by the prophets should not be disregarded.

What if people today are reading about, and expecting it to come true so in some small way it happens because people are expecting it to?

Whatever people focus their consciousness on in their own lives eventually becomes reality to them (seek and ye shall find). Combine it by a factor of several thousands of minds all doing the same thing, and it vastly increases the likelihood of it becoming "prophecy". Quantum physics catch 22 syndrome.

Absolutely everything becomes predictable the higher, or more closely, is it scrutinized (aka more people believe it) the more likely it becomes.

Spectrism
14th February 2011, 07:32 PM

What if people today are reading about, and expecting it to come true so in some small way it happens because people are expecting it to?

Whatever people focus their consciousness on in their own lives eventually becomes reality to them (seek and ye shall find). Combine it by a factor of several thousands of minds all doing the same thing, and it vastly increases the likelihood of it becoming "prophecy". Quantum physics catch 22 syndrome.

Absolutely everything becomes predictable the higher, or more closely, is it scrutinized (aka more people believe it) the more likely it becomes.

That might be true if the prophecies were given in bite-sized spoonfulls that defied false interpretation. The opposite is true about futuristic prophecies. They are well-guarded in their details with revelations typically happening after the fact. Very few are inspired to see the reality before they happen.

Consider the opinions of the masses. They are easily swayed into believing lies. Does that make the lies true? Of course not. So how would the beliefs of a few make real what is not already made?

No, there is no self-fulfillment of these prophecies. The plain ridiculous nature of the prophecies make them miraculous to ever happen. Consider the prophecy of the perfect servant of God who would be born a commoner, live a pure life and be murdered willingly in order to save others. Or, that a dingy tribe among the many powerful tribes of men would be called to carry forth this prophecy. Often hundreds of years separated the prophecies and their fulfillments. As if in code, they were "sealed up" until the appointed times so that none would know them.

Dan 12:1 And at that time, Michael shall stand up, the great ruler who stands for the sons of your people. And there shall be a time of distress, such as has not been from the being of a nation until that time. And at that time, your people shall be delivered, everyone that shall be found written in the Book.
Dan 12:2 And many of those sleeping in the earth's dust shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to reproaches and to everlasting abhorrence.
Dan 12:3 And those who act wisely shall shine as the brightness of the firmament, and those turning many to righteousness as the stars forever and ever.
Dan 12:4 But you, O Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, to the end time. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

Until that time, we GUESS and figure just what things may be. Sometimes we are given a little more insight and some times we know. But mostly we just wonder and watch.

Bullion_Bob
14th February 2011, 08:02 PM

That might be true if the prophecies were given in bite-sized spoonfulls that defied false interpretation. The opposite is true about futuristic prophecies. They are well-guarded in their details with revelations typically happening after the fact. Very few are inspired to see the reality before they happen.

I see this as subjective to the interpreter. As is any interpretation.

Consider the opinions of the masses. They are easily swayed into believing lies. Does that make the lies true? Of course not. So how would the beliefs of a few make real what is not already made?

The lies become true if they are believed to be true. If everyone decides to believe the sky is now orange, orange becomes the new blue, and the sky will be called orange. Over time it will not even be questioned.

No, there is no self-fulfillment of these prophecies. The plain ridiculous nature of the prophecies make them miraculous to ever happen. Consider the prophecy of the perfect servant of God who would be born a commoner, live a pure life and be murdered willingly in order to save others. Or, that a dingy tribe among the many powerful tribes of men would be called to carry forth this prophecy. Often hundreds of years separated the prophecies and their fulfillments. As if in code, they were "sealed up" until the appointed times so that none would know them.

A story about a man who is considered a nobody, rises to greatnees, and makes the ultimate sacrifice? Nobody could ever think of that happening? Or a group that is the underdog, rising to the highest of heights through adversity? I see that meme played out all the time throughout all known history.

Dan 12:1 And at that time, Michael shall stand up, the great ruler who stands for the sons of your people. And there shall be a time of distress, such as has not been from the being of a nation until that time. And at that time, your people shall be delivered, everyone that shall be found written in the Book.
Dan 12:2 And many of those sleeping in the earth's dust shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to reproaches and to everlasting abhorrence.
Dan 12:3 And those who act wisely shall shine as the brightness of the firmament, and those turning many to righteousness as the stars forever and ever.
Dan 12:4 But you, O Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, to the end time. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

Until that time, we GUESS and figure just what things may be. Sometimes we are given a little more insight and some times we know. But mostly we just wonder and watch.

I think all self fulfilling prophecy is exactly that. It happens because millions of people want it to happen, and believe it will happen, or that it did happen, and will happen again.

Kind of like looking at the car just before hitting it, instead of looking away from the car to successfully avoid the accident. This is proven all the time, day after day on the roads. It's a phenomenon, and very much a human condition.

As I see it, the only things that cannot, and have not ever happened to date anywhere in the world, are things that defy the physical reality of this universe, i.e. the physical limitations of the matter we have all around us, exist from, and have access to.

hoarder
14th February 2011, 08:04 PM
Whenever TPTB feel threatened, they shut down the internet. Do they shut down teevee and newspapers too? ???

vacuum
14th February 2011, 08:09 PM
Why does it say that isps were shut down as well as facebook? Obviously if the internet is shut down, facebook will also be shut down. Its as if the totality of the internet is facebook.