PDA

View Full Version : Web Based Business

skid
15th February 2011, 08:21 PM
I want to start a web based business and have no knowledge on how to create a website. Can anyone provide advice on how to get a domain name, which web host to use etc.? There must be several people here with experience creating a website.

I can enter all the business info, but just need advice on how to get started. General Discussion may not be the appropriate place for this and if so, Mod's please move this thread appropriately.

Serpo
15th February 2011, 09:16 PM
Thought they where running out of domain names, you better be quick.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/712178_internet_running_out_of_everything/

just kidding(I think), sorry cant help you much past that

Book
15th February 2011, 09:18 PM
I want to start a web based business and have no knowledge on how to create a website. Can anyone provide advice on how to get a domain name, which web host to use etc.? There must be several people here with experience creating a website.

I can enter all the business info, but just need advice on how to get started. General Discussion may not be the appropriate place for this and if so, Mod's please move this thread appropriately.

1) I want to start a web based business

2) have no knowledge on how to create a website

:oo-->

Did You At Least Do This Before Starting This Thread? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=573&q=how%20to%20create%20a%20business%20website&gbv=2&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw)

ximmy
15th February 2011, 09:33 PM
Here you go...

"We do all the work... You... make all the cash!!!"

skid
15th February 2011, 09:55 PM
1) I want to start a web based business

2) have no knowledge on how to create a website

:oo-->

Did You At Least Do This Before Starting This Thread? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=573&q=how%20to%20create%20a%20business%20website&gbv=2&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw)

Thanks Book,

Yes, like you, I can do a web search. I was just wondering whether anyone had advice on which companies to use, best companies to use for web hosting, who to use for domain names, etc. There appears to be many different companies that offer this service out there and if I can avoid some headaches by following the advice from some one with experience I will do so. I would rather follow someone who has gone through this or knows the business well rather than me trying to learn everything myself.

ximmy
15th February 2011, 10:00 PM
skid... try this guy... he can set you up...

"You don't need to know anything technical, you don't need to know how to make a website, and you don't need any money to get started."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFl7VwWsQEo&feature=player_embedded

Serpo
15th February 2011, 10:05 PM
skid... try this guy... he can set you up...

"You don't need to know anything technical, you don't need to know how to make a website, and you don't need any money to get started."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFl7VwWsQEo&feature=player_embedded

Hey Zimmy you have how many thanks.....aaahhhh 666

skid
15th February 2011, 10:07 PM
Jesus Christ,

I'm being tag teamed by Book and Ximmy!

BabushkaLady
15th February 2011, 10:12 PM
I'm no expert on web businesses, however I do love Privacy.

Network Solutions offers a Private Domain Name Registration. It costs more, of course, but is worth it. I'm sure other domain registers offer a similar product.

Also, don't be cheap and just buy your one name; spring for a few additional dotwhatevers. New trends are emerging; you may as well buy them before someone else steals your name with the "other" extensions. ex: .com .co .biz .whateve

Good Luck!

lapis
15th February 2011, 10:13 PM

Not anymore! I saved her from the clutches of eeevilllll!!!!

(ETA: Sorry Zimmy if you wanted to stay in the clutches of evil.)

Serpo
15th February 2011, 10:15 PM
Jesus Christ,

Feel grateful they are the best in the business.....

Shami-Amourae
15th February 2011, 10:16 PM
Honestly you should learn to program before you start doing anything. Go to a community college, or do an online tutorial and learn ASP.NET with C#. Coincidently someone just uploaded a copy of a book on this subject here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3sudxxnmgfkq63o

You can use this with Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010, which you can download for free here:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Web/

This is how you professionally make websites. Honestly, you're best self teaching yourself if you want to legitimately run a business on the Internet. If you cant program and run this stuff from scratch, you shouldn't start a web business, period. I'm telling you this as someone who runs an online business myself.

vacuum
15th February 2011, 10:20 PM
Depends on his business. If simple enough and based on a real good or service he could run it from craigslist or a free template, depending on his clientele. However, if he's trying to make money by ad-clicks then yes, he should learn how to program first.

ximmy
15th February 2011, 10:20 PM

Not anymore! I saved her from the clutches of eeevilllll!!!!

(ETA: Sorry Zimmy if you wanted to stay in the clutches of evil.)

eek... thanks... I hated 666... :o Skid, I'm just having fun... good luck... follow the members advice... |--0--|

skid
15th February 2011, 10:25 PM
Honestly you should learn to program before you start doing anything. Go to a community college, or do an online tutorial and learn ASP.NET with C#. Coincidently someone just uploaded a copy of a book on this subject here:

This is how you professionally make websites. Honestly, you're best self teaching yourself if you want to legitimately run a business on the Internet. If you cant program and run this stuff from scratch, you shouldn't start a web business, period.

I don't want to be a programmer and don't have time to be one, I just want to sell some product. My web site would be mostly used for information and ordering. A basic website that could be built upon in the future. The most important thing would be to register my domain name and do it properly.

Shami-Amourae
15th February 2011, 10:27 PM
Well I think you should then look around e-Bay and look at the storefronts in e-Bay and check out how they run websites. That's the next best thing I guess. You can have everything within e-Bay too....they have the tools. Can't you just start with that, and if you grow, hire someone to do a quicky website? (I could prob help you.)

skid
15th February 2011, 10:30 PM
Jesus Christ,

Feel grateful they are the best in the business.....

Hmmn, Book and Ximmy... Kind of like Michael and Janet Jackson. Nobody has ever seen them together! :o ;D

I'll have to get Magnes to investigate :D

ximmy
15th February 2011, 10:33 PM
Well I think you should then look around e-Bay and look at the storefronts in e-Bay and check out how they run websites. That's the next best thing I guess.

When I first started (about6yrs ago) I used yahoo... they registered & set up domain... they have noob website templates and storefronts...

but yeah, I knew HTML beforehand... it helps

I don't know who the hot providers are today...

Shami-Amourae
15th February 2011, 10:42 PM
I learned HTML when I was 13 in 3 hours. Not fuckin' kidding. This stuff is like the code you use on these forums almost, just a little more advanced.

skid
15th February 2011, 10:45 PM
My son started to build me a website, but it seemed too easy, and the domain name ended with moonfruit or something like that. I just want an .com type website where I can sell a few products..

Shami-Amourae
15th February 2011, 10:57 PM
You buy a domain on a website like godaddy.com or something else.

Then you buy a server host, (search for hosting.) Some web hosts even allow you to register the domain name with them, like fatcow.com.

After you buy the two you look on your server host for DNS information. Each website is a IP Address, and the DNS information is tied to that. You go to the domain hoster, like godaddy.com, and input your DNS server information there and your website will then work.

Most of the web hosts have free website builders built in, so start there.

I don't personally recommend any of these services personally, I'm just using them as examples. You'd need to shop around for what's best for you.

skid
15th February 2011, 11:04 PM
You buy a domain on a website like godaddy.com or something else.

Then you buy a server host, (search for hosting.) Some web hosts even allow you to register the domain name with them, like fatcow.com.

After you buy the two you look on your server host for DNS information. Each website is a IP Address, and the DNS information is tied to that. You go to the domain hoster, like godaddy.com, and input your DNS server information there and your website will then work.

Most of the web hosts have free website builders built in, so start there.

I don't personally recommend any of these services personally, I'm just using them as examples. You'd need to shop around for what's best for you.

Fat cow, godaddy, those names don't inspire confidence in me, that's why I was wondering if companies like that are legit. That's kind of why I was looking for a personal recommendation with someone who was satisfied with the companies they were dealing with. I was going to use Google, but I don't particularly like them due to their data mining operations. I guess I give your two recommendations/suggestions a try.

Edit: Rereading your posts I see that fat cow was just an example.

Shami-Amourae
15th February 2011, 11:15 PM
This forum is run by godaddy.com believe it or not. My personal favorite is enomcentral.com, namely since you can hide your identity through a bunch of legalese, (there's a loophole in the WhoIs identity law.) I'd recommend the owner of this website do that himself to protect himself, because the identity shield thing has protected me many times.

Hosting, I use BlueHost.Com for my business.

YukonCornelius
16th February 2011, 08:29 AM
Domain and hosting can be bought through godaddy, hostgator or zybrite among others.

With little experience of web design you may want to buck up 75 FRNs to a pro.

If you want to experiment yourself try using wordpress.org themes for the site layout. That zybrite I mentioned has free wordpress themes for professional looking, non blog sites.

To get it all together once it's all downloaded bought and built just google how to mesh it all together.

Good luck.

Ponce
16th February 2011, 08:48 AM
My attorney friend in CA is going into the webb only business........his office will be a "reality" office where about 20 attorneys rent a fancy office in a fancy building with a fancy secretary.......she will answer the phone for all 20 attornys........but, the place is available to him for only 15 hours a month, he makes an appoinment by phone by checking his calendar and calling ahead to make the appointment with the office people where he will meet his client..........the whole place is big and fancy but is only a show room.

At this time he is getting about 5 calls a week from lawyers looking for work and the average salary for them is of $30,000 a years................at this time when ever my friend has to make a long briefing he simply gives another attorny a couple of bucks to do it for him.

chad
16th February 2011, 08:51 AM
any hosting plan you buy these days will have a whole host of free site design software, shopping carts, etc. available for free via the control panel manager. i do this for a living, and quite frankly, i quit buying any third party software about 2 years ago because the free stuff offered in most hosting plans is so good these days. once you open the hosting account, find your control panel, cpanel, whatever your host calls it, and dig around. you'll be surprised what is in there.