PDA

View Full Version : 4 Reasons to Avoid All Soda (Even Diet)

MNeagle
17th February 2011, 07:57 AM
http://www.rd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/4-reasons-to-avoid-all-soda-even-diet-pa.jpg

That innocent-looking can of soda pop-no matter what it’s sweetened with-may be taking a toll on your immunity. Here’s why:

1. People who drink sodas instead of healthy beverages (think low-fat milk and pure fruit juice) are less likely to get adequate vitamin A, calcium, and magnesium. What’s more, soda contains phosphoric acid that depletes calcium and magnesium. These two nutrients help keep your immunity operating at peak efficiency.

2. Sodas containing high-fructose corn syrup also contain high levels of free radicals linked to tissue damage, the development of diabetes, and diabetic complications.

3. Plastic soda (and water) bottles contain a toxic chemical called bisphenol A (BPA) that can leach from bottles into soda…into you. Emerging evidence links BPA to a myriad of maladies, including immune system depression. Public health experts recommend that we protect children from exposure to products containing BPA-especially those they consume or use every day.

4. Diet soda actually contributes to weight gain. A study of 1,550 people concluded that people who drink diet soda have a 41 percent increased risk of being overweight or obese-for every can or bottle they drink per day! Turns out, any sweet taste signals body cells to store fat and carbohydrates, which makes you hungrier. Sweet tastes also promote insulin release, which blocks your body’s ability to burn fat. The hard truth: No published study has ever proven that drinking diet soda will help you lose weight.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/4-reasons-to-avoid-all-soda-even-diet-2454791/

shawn1
16th April 2011, 06:44 AM
great read to get information about the side effects of the soda,....
I always love to drink protein shakes,...

BrewTech
16th April 2011, 06:55 AM
The title actually should have read:

4 Reasons to Avoid All Soda (Especially Diet)

hoarder
16th April 2011, 07:02 AM
Whenever I see someone drinking soda pop I consider it indicative of low intellect.

Cobalt
16th April 2011, 08:37 AM
I rarely drink pop for the simple fact I feel like crap after, it doesn't even quench my thirst and actually makes me thirstier

lapis
16th April 2011, 09:03 AM
My husband got the Sodastream machine, and we like to make flavorless carbonated water with it. We use flavored Stevia extracts if we want it sweetened, mainly for our daughter.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
16th April 2011, 11:39 AM
I haven't had a soda this milennium.