PDA

View Full Version : total garage sale score

chad
19th February 2011, 07:50 AM
my wife went to a garage sale her friend was sponsoring this morning to drop some stuff off. one of the other people with a table there had an unopened jetboil system for sale...for $10. unopened jetboil coffee press for it...$2.

i've been wanting one of these for years but would never buy one because they cost around $80.

score.

http://i52.tinypic.com/rrupom.jpg

uncletonoose
19th February 2011, 07:53 AM
Now that's how you make a FRN work for you! Excellent Buy! ;D

Ponce
19th February 2011, 07:55 AM
I don't know what a "jet boil" is.........therefore I don't need one...........I think :conf:

mightymanx
19th February 2011, 08:43 AM
That is one hell of a good buy.

good job.

chad
19th February 2011, 08:54 AM
never used one before. i'm going to buy a fuel cell this afternoon ad try a bag of mountain house with it. 8)

my wife knows i am obsessed with little types of stoves/cookers, i have about 10 different brands of them. this is the one i never had :boohoo

freespirit
19th February 2011, 09:12 AM
I'll give ya $25 for it...lol
;)

thats 100% ROI!!

seriously, that's a steal! jetboil stoves are excellent!!

mightymanx
19th February 2011, 09:20 AM
Jet boils are the top of the game in heating super fast and efficient.
But:

Personally, I am not a fan due to them being too specialized. I don't like cartridge stoves because you are tied to specific fuel. When I buy specialized things I always seem to end up in an area that does not possess the Widget I need to make my gizmo run.

I like the versatility of a muliti-fuel whisperliteI sm still too cheap to buy one because I still use my whisperlite (non multifuel) I have had since 1986. :o

I am still waiting not so patiently for the Biolite to come out so I don't even gas type need fuel anymore.

http://biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

chad
19th February 2011, 09:22 AM
But:

Personally, I am not a fan due to them being too specialized. I don't like cartridge stoves because you are tied to specific fuel. When I buy specialized things I always seem to end up in an area that does not possess the Widget I need to make my gizmo run.

I like the versatility of a muliti-fuel whisperliteI sm still too cheap to buy one because I still use my whisperlite (non multifuel) I have had since 1986. :o

I am still waiting not so patiently for the Biolite to come out so I don't even gas type need fuel anymore.

i have one that's like the biolite, can't remember the brand right now. it requires batteries to run a fan though. works pretty well, you can cook with it using any twigs, pine needles, whatever you find laying around. the battery pack is the only drawback to it. i'm going to buy a biolite as well. i have a stove fetish. ;D

banjo
19th February 2011, 09:26 AM
That's why I love garage sales. You never know what kind of deal you're gonna find. One man's junk...

Santa
19th February 2011, 11:46 AM
Here's a thrift store score I recently made. It's a US military issue 1942 wwII olive drab Kodak 35. The cool thing about this cameras
is that all but a few were destroyed by the US military. The only ones to survive were smuggled back into the US
as contraband after the war. I'm pretty sure I'll never see one again, but I'm not a collector of militaria.
I am into old film cameras though, and have learned quite a bit about which ones to look for, a few of which are valuable.
The funny thing is most of the old mechanical cameras aren't worth a plug nickel. Too bad, really.

I paid $10 for it and sold it for $310. They've been known to sell at auction for well over $500 depending on their condition.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/jackconrad/Cameras/_A165100.jpg

Hillbilly
19th February 2011, 12:01 PM
That was a great find. That's one of my favorite things to do in the summer time is go to garage sales. it's like a Treasure Hunt :)

my wife went to a garage sale her friend was sponsoring this morning to drop some stuff off. one of the other people with a table there had an unopened jetboil system for sale...for $10. unopened jetboil coffee press for it...$2.

i've been wanting one of these for years but would never buy one because they cost around $80.

score.

http://i52.tinypic.com/rrupom.jpg

Twisted Titan
19th February 2011, 12:07 PM
Where is Mountain Man when you need him????

TheNocturnalEgyptian
19th February 2011, 12:11 PM
He did register here, I wish he'd spend a bit more time making words. . .

Rebel Yarr
19th February 2011, 12:12 PM
good deal = love mine. wont go on road trips without it! top ten item to have for bugout imo.

solid
19th February 2011, 05:38 PM
i have a stove fetish. ;D

:) While you are searching the garage sales for stoves, look for an attractive stainless steel block called the Origo. Origo stoves run off of denatured alcohol, which I buy by the gallon. No gas, and I've read in a pinch it will run off of any flammable liquids.

It's a great prep item. It's all I cook with in fact, it's my daily cooker. It's bullet proof...though expensive, but will last a lifetime. If you can find one cheap at a garage sale, or on ebay, grab it up.

Here's a thread I read searching for reviews on these. I also agree it puts out a very nice flame.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/5335-origo-stoves.html

big country
2nd December 2011, 08:08 AM
But:

Well time to bump this old thread.

Biolite stoves are now available for reservation and pre-order
http://biolite.myshopify.com/

chad
2nd December 2011, 08:13 AM
damn you big country!

**stove addiction**

Ponce
2nd December 2011, 09:29 AM
Ok guys, thank you for your freaking help that you DID NOT GIVE ME, I finally found out what it was and I do have two of them in my storage junk yard......got them from the thrift store about three of four years ago.

First post of the day.........good morning to one and all.

chad
2nd December 2011, 09:32 AM
you have 2 of what ???

big country
2nd December 2011, 10:32 AM
you have 2 of what ???

I wonder how quickly these will charge a cellphone or other small USB powered object.

Could be a good alternative to carrying a small solar panel to keep these electronics charged...Its a neat feature if it is anything more then a gimmick...

Cook dinner...and keep the fire going to charge your small electronics in the evening...this would be pretty sweet for a low power device like an ebook reader i'm betting.

chad
2nd December 2011, 10:34 AM
that's what i'm thinking. i reserved one :D

big country
2nd December 2011, 10:51 AM
that's what i'm thinking. i reserved one :D

Sorry for being an enabler for you chad :( ;) ;)
I forgot about your addiction when I replied to this thread.

chad
2nd December 2011, 10:55 AM
my wife is going to be pissed (not really, just flabergasted that i bought another one). i haven't even opened or tested half of the ones i already own. i'm going to have to stealth intercept it before she finds out.

her: "why do we need an 87th extra survival stove?"

me: "because it's really cool, you can charge your iphone off it."

her: "if we have to use this for any length of time, you'll need to be on lookout with a rifle, not playing with your iphone."

me: silence.

mick silver
2nd December 2011, 11:02 AM
make your own . some wood a few blocks and you have a place to cook . i have more cook stove then i will every use . a few years back we had a bad ice storm then a wind storm after that every were you look there were stoves at yards sales i got one for every body in my family for almost nothing . and the stoves look like they were never used . i started a out doors kitchen a month or so back it almost done , i got lucky and found a old wood cook stove for almost nothing and it will be what we use in the summer for cooking ...

chad
2nd December 2011, 02:40 PM
i do that all the time, mick. have a huge stash of those coleman double burner ones. you can usually pick them up at sales for $5 or so. cheaper than replacing any part to just buy the whole thing.

po boy
2nd December 2011, 03:03 PM
i do that all the time, mick. have a huge stash of those coleman double burner ones. you can usually pick them up at sales for $5 or so. cheaper than replacing any part to just buy the whole thing.

That's how I scored the 2 I have. A neighbor loves garage sales and if asked will find whatever I'm looking for and usually pays less than I would have, no gas or hassle.

JDRock
30th June 2012, 11:53 AM
todays score?? i kid you not a solid gold gruen pocket watch still working for 5.00 bwaaaahhaa

Santa
30th June 2012, 12:02 PM
todays score?? i kid you not a solid gold gruen pocket watch still working for 5.00 bwaaaahhaa

Nice!

mick silver
30th June 2012, 01:26 PM
todays score?? i kid you not a solid gold gruen pocket watch still working for 5.00 bwaaaahhaai will give you 6 bucks for it and pay for shipping

JDRock
30th June 2012, 01:59 PM
i will give you 6 bucks for it and pay for shipping
sold!

muffin
30th June 2012, 03:35 PM
i bought a denim skirt for a dollar. fits me quite nicely :cool:

willie pete
30th June 2012, 04:20 PM

damn....that's incredible, GREAT Score....

madfranks
30th June 2012, 04:53 PM

Amazing! Do you have pics of the watch? What are it's hallmarks?

madfranks
30th June 2012, 04:55 PM
http://www.pixelp.com/gruen/1904.html

Most watches were housed in an 18k yellow or green gold Gruen Pentagon case, but the customer was invited to order his own custom case. (Gruen means "green" in German; especially during the 1920s the company seems to have tried to popularize green gold, although white gold was much more fashionable at the time.) Externally the Anniversary looks similar to Gruen's other Pentagon models, which lent prestige to and helped sales of these other models—this was part of Gruen's deliberate marketing strategy. Included was a magnificent leather-covered, locking jewelry box with gold and brass fittings. The standard model cost $500 USD, the equivalent of about $15,000 USD today, but many owners chose custom cases at a much higher price. The more ostentatious owner could even choose a solid platinum case studded with diamonds.

Libertytree
30th June 2012, 05:29 PM
A friend picked me up a bottle tree, cost $5.00....retail, $50.00. Since it was a present = free :)

JDRock
1st July 2012, 09:01 AM
Amazing! Do you have pics of the watch? What are it's hallmarks?
ill load some 2morro....i did take the back off and it has gold works..and a few jewelers marks...it was inscribed " to pete from mother and dad xmas 1922"

BrewTech
1st July 2012, 09:20 AM
ill load some 2morro....i did take the back off and it has gold works..and a few jewelers marks...it was inscribed " to pete from mother and dad xmas 1922"

Score of the century!

gunDriller
1st July 2012, 09:43 AM

Pics ?

that's about the best garage sale score ever.

closest i've come is a sterling knife for 25 cents. it was mixed in with silver-plated silver ware.

i did get a box of 20 years of old National Geographics for free, in good condition.

i thought i should have something besides engineering textbooks and history books, coffee table type stuff. can't have a guest come over and have a copy of "Adolf Hitler, Founder of Israel" in front of them.

this year, i haven't had any money for garage sales. i bought an old Mercedes in perfect condition but for a broken cam-shaft, and then got a really good deal on some solar panels.

cleaned me out.

JDRock
1st July 2012, 09:56 AM
you have to DIG.....i was once on my hands and knees on wet grass looking thru a cardboard box of childrens plastic beads..( much to my wifes horror) and there a glint of something shiny in the bottom!...yes a 14k gold necklace for .25c

the watch was from my 2nd time thru a sale in the bottom of a box of ladies scarves! looking left and right to be sure no one i knew was in the area....i shamelessly dug to the bottom where i found the watch AND an antique german made straight razor still in the original box both for $9.00

PlatinumBlonde
1st July 2012, 12:35 PM
I once found a beautiful sterling silver bracelet for 10 cents but I made the unfortunate mistake of giving it away to some backstabbing friend for her birthday..

I am sorry I shouldn't have said that. I'm not good at letting go.. :-(

k-os
1st July 2012, 05:08 PM
At a large county garage sale over the weekend, I bought a king size down comforter with zippered duvet for $10.

Now I am all set if the poles shift. Ha!

slowbell
1st July 2012, 05:18 PM
you have to DIG.....i was once on my hands and knees on wet grass looking thru a cardboard box of childrens plastic beads..( much to my wifes horror) and there a glint of something shiny in the bottom!...yes a 14k gold necklace for .25c

the watch was from my 2nd time thru a sale in the bottom of a box of ladies scarves! looking left and right to be sure no one i knew was in the area....i shamelessly dug to the bottom where i found the watch AND an antique german made straight razor still in the original box both for $9.00

Right on JDRock, great score and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the pics of the watch, if you get around to it, also that antique straight razor if you can.

This thread has me wanting to hit some garage sales. It really sounds like fun and getting a score, what a great feeling that must be!

JDRock
1st July 2012, 06:30 PM
pix

JDRock
1st July 2012, 06:31 PM
the first one didnt come out with the writing ill try again 2morro igotta run.

osoab
1st July 2012, 07:10 PM
the first one didnt come out with the writing ill try again 2morro igotta run.

try macro setting

Santa
1st July 2012, 08:42 PM
Ok, well, this isn't 18 karat gold, but it's damn fine example of classic prewar German industrial design.
I found this 120 Medium format functional 1934 Super Ikonta Rangefinder last week at a flea market for $25.
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/jackconrad/1fd45865.jpg

Dogman
1st July 2012, 08:47 PM
Ok, well, this isn't 18 karat gold, but it's damn fine example of classic prewar German industrial design.
I found this 120 Medium format functional 1934 Super Ikonta Rangefinder last week at a flea market for $25.

And if you can find the film and processing or process it your self, that camera is just as good today as it was when it was made.

Santa
1st July 2012, 09:13 PM
And if you can find the film and processing or process it your self, that camera is just as good today as it was when it was made.

Oh heck yeah. I renovate these babies. The Zeiss Tessar lens is legendary. It makes me feel kinda proud to be German. 120 film is common and cheap and I process it myself.
Any pro photographer would be wise to have at least one 6x9 film camera. That's a BIG negative. It'd take a 45 megapixel digital camera to even come close to the resolving power of this puppy, or about $50,000.

Ok, it's not as fast or convenient as digital, but in the right hands, it can still do magic.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/jackconrad/20d02144.jpg

Dogman
1st July 2012, 09:28 PM
Oh heck yeah. I renovate these babies. The Zeiss Tessar lens is legendary. It makes me feel kinda proud to be German. 120 film is common and cheap and I process it myself.
Any pro photographer would be wise to have at least one 6x9 film camera. That's a BIG negative. It'd take a 45 megapixel digital camera to even come close to the resolving power of this puppy, or about $50,000.

Ok, it's not as fast or convenient as digital, but in the right hands, it can still do magic.

One hell of a nice find.

Yea, I used to play myself and did all of my own processing, been years ago as a hobby , large format b/w was one of my favorite pastimes. One thing about film is if taken care of, it will last, unlike digital where in the blink of an eye your photos are poof gone. With a fine grained film, the detail captured is totally astonishing.

Sort of sorry that I sold/gave away all of my darkroom toys and stuff.

AndreaGail
1st July 2012, 10:19 PM
awesome find JD

Thanks for the pics

Santa
2nd July 2012, 08:51 AM
Sort of sorry that I sold/gave away all of my darkroom toys and stuff.

One thing that folks don't seem to realize is that digital=dependency.

The more needful and dependent on digital computer technology we become as a society, the less
able we become to acquire self sufficiency. Circuit boards that can handle the vast amount of information
required today cannot be made anywhere but in "super clean" environments that only giant corporations can ever afford.

Cameras aren't toys. Even though they're treated like bubble gum for all us kiddies, they represent
a huge elemental strategic societal weapon of mass communication. Images are critical to our understanding
of the world around us, even more than words and symbols.

Images define how we see the world. This has always been the case. From the cave walls to the Sistine Chapel, to all the great Museums, we have been programmed by light. Images.

Film or plate cameras allow independent individuals to interpret the world with their own eyes,
and to store those interpretations for centuries.

Digital has no permanence. It can be gone faster than an April fools day at GIM.

Old Herb Lady
2nd July 2012, 08:55 AM

THAT is HILARIOUS !! He looks to the left, he looks to the right so that no one that knows him sees him playing in ladies scarves ,
his wife prolly thinks he's crazy, that time too, and then SCORE !!! WhoooHooo !
Too funny ! Thanks for sharing JDR ! Good finds.

Good Find Santa !!!!

Exactly Dogman ! Wonder where you can get the film at ?

I use to do darkroom work and now recall the smell of the chemicals and the big goggles and sometimes a mask from the potent smell !
The anticipation of hearing the timer go off as the picture developed in the fixer and hanging it to dry became an addictive habit ! Oh the fun !!
Then when color film became available from Eastman Kodak Co....
I would get so upset if I somehow ruined an expensive sheet of photographic film and learned so much !
Wow thanks for memories gentlemen ! Now I want to go look for all those old pics & see what they look like !

Dogman
2nd July 2012, 09:05 AM
THAT is HILARIOUS !! He looks to the left, he looks to the right so that no one that knows him sees him playing in ladies scarves , his wife prolly thinks he's crazy, too and then SCORE !!! WhoooHooo !
Too funny ! Thanks for sharing JDR ! Good find.

Good Find Santa !!!!

Exactly Dogman ! Wonder where you can get the film at ?

I use to do darkroom work and now recall the smell of the chemicals and the big goggles and sometimes a mask from the potent smell !
The anticipation of hearing the timer go off as the picture developed in the fixer and hanging it to dry became an addictive habit ! Oh the fun !!
Then when color film became available from Eastman Kodak Co....
I would get so upset if I somehow ruined an expensive sheet of photographic film and learned so much !
Wow thanks for memories gentlemen ! Now I want to go look for all those old pics & see what they look like !

The film is still available, it just is not as common today in the digital world. Old school photography methinks will never truly go away, but will become a niche market. Have never done color work, because for me color does not have the "Soul" that b/w has. Hell back in the day when I wanted glossy's, Every mirror in the house was plastered with prints drying. ;D

And you are right, darkroom work was magic, all of it , the smells, and working with the medium like a wizard casting spells and magic.

Santa
2nd July 2012, 10:12 AM
And you are right, darkroom work was magic, all of it , the smells, and working with the medium like a wizard casting spells and magic.

Considering that film is mostly made of gelatin.
Gelatin is made from the bones and hooves of slaughtered(sacrificed?) animals.
A big steaming caldron. A drop of cyanide here. A dribble of scopolomine there. A coating of silver halide. Some eye of newt.

And to think we scoff at aboriginals for believing their souls were captured when photographed. Lol

OHL,

If you're interested in playing with film again, try freestyle. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/192364-Arista-Premium-BandW-400-ISO-35mm-x-36-exp. Generally, excellent prices.

Arista is the same formula as Kodak Tri-X... Seriously good stuff.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/jackconrad/e0b8f0c1.jpg

sirgonzo420
2nd July 2012, 10:27 AM
sounds like a bunch of old jews in this thread

fahevah a bahgain shoppah

;D

Santa
2nd July 2012, 10:37 AM
Don't be such a jap and quite yer whinin, Gonzo. ::)