PDA

View Full Version : New glock had a range day!

Heimdhal
20th February 2011, 02:14 PM
Well I finaly decided last week on a glock 19 as another carry gun and I got one. Im only just now getting to the range with it after having it a week.

Its my first 9mm. Not my first time shootnig one, but granted its been a very long time since I have. Im new to glocks and fairly new to the caliber, but suffice to say I couldnt be happier with it and I know its only gonna get better with time.

I went with a friend of mine so we could break it in nice and good, few hundred rounds through it and she loosened up real well and operates like butter now.

We used only WWB 115 gr from wal mart. I didnt get a chance to test any of my carry ammo, which is 147 gr Speer Gold dot and/or 124 gr Hornady TAP. I just didnt have enough on hand to be able to shoot and then still have enough for carry, so next time.

We started out with some Walkers. Priorites, right?! 10 yards, slow fire, but not too slow.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/DSC_0066.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/DSC_0067.jpg

Im actualy kinda mad cause I wanted to keep this target clean (as in just for me) and found out when I came back from the bathroom that my buddy went and shot a few mags at it, right at my groups. My first three groups on this target were the Head, Center Mass and Crotch. I had a couple flyers in my groups, but all those other little holes were from him.

My final target of the day, 10 yards slow fire. Fatigue was setting in and thats when you develop bad habbits so I called it quites after this one. This one was jsut me, I kept it away from my range mate :P

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/DSC_0065.jpg

Over all I am very pleased with the gun. The 9mm will take some getting used to as I shoot almost exclusivley .45, but I really enjoy it and plan on keeping it around a little while longer ;)

It did shoot a little to the left the first few mags. Ive heard of this not being uncommon. I deduced it was me doing it as my friend is a lefty and was shooting to the right a bit. after about 50 rounds I fairly spot on with it.

I need to practice my double tap point shooting with it though. They were kinda all over the place (all on target, but not as tight as Im used to) and I attribute that to being new to the gun/caliber so with practice I hope to see improvment!

anyways, another glock fan boy in the making! :? :lol:

Awoke
16th March 2011, 10:45 AM
Glocks are nice. I like them all, but I own the G17 9mm.

After reading so many different articles about people puttign their Glocks through all sorts of torture tests, plus recognizing the fact that Glock is standard issue for a zillion cops, I fgured I can't go wrong.

And you can't either.

It's unfortunate that I can't see your pics, but maybe I will post some pics of my groups with the G17 later on. Nice operating pistols, for sure!

madfranks
16th March 2011, 11:28 AM
Heimdhal, if you had the option of choosing between a new glock and a case of ammo, or an ounce of Au, what would you choose?

Heimdhal
16th March 2011, 02:03 PM
Heimdhal, if you had the option of choosing between a new glock and a case of ammo, or an ounce of Au, what would you choose?

It depends on which one I am most defficient in I suppose. If I needed another handgun, like I did, I would hands down go with a gun and some ammo.

If I felt secure in my armament, but was short on ammo and metals (which I am), ammo would definintley win out.

If both were taken care of, I'd probably still buy another gun, as gold is just too high for me right now lol.

A gun thats taken care off (as in, not beat to holy shit) generaly keeps it value fairly well. Like metals, its a long term investment, but take for instance people who bought PSL's say a year ago for 500$. They are selling for near $1000 now, even in used condition.

If you need a handgun, get one, self defense and armament take priority, IMO.

undgrd
16th March 2011, 02:56 PM
I would caution against practicing double taps. Who's to say 2 will do the job if you need to pull it? Everybody reverts back to their basic training in a high stress situation. Double tap drills would harm you when it counts.

Just my .02

Awoke
16th March 2011, 03:01 PM

It depends on which one I am most defficient in I suppose. If I needed another handgun, like I did, I would hands down go with a gun and some ammo.

If I felt secure in my armament, but was short on ammo and metals (which I am), ammo would definintley win out.

If both were taken care of, I'd probably still buy another gun, as gold is just too high for me right now lol.

A gun thats taken care off (as in, not beat to holy shit) generaly keeps it value fairly well. Like metals, its a long term investment, but take for instance people who bought PSL's say a year ago for 500$. They are selling for near $1000 now, even in used condition.

I think he meant you had to pick between an ounce of Gold or a Glock WITH ammo.

If the ammo and Glock added up to the same "fiat value" of an ounce of Gold, the choice would easily be Glock with bullets for me.

madfranks
16th March 2011, 03:28 PM

I think he meant you had to pick between an ounce of Gold or a Glock WITH ammo.

If the ammo and Glock added up to the same "fiat value" of an ounce of Gold, the choice would easily be Glock with bullets for me.

Actually, I could get a new G17 and a case of 1000 rounds for under a grand. So I suppose I could get the glock, a case of ammo and a crimson trace laser or tactical light for the same price as an ounce of Au.

I already own several handguns, including a glock model 38, so I don't need a new glock, but I just want one. Decisions, decisions.

Heimdhal
16th March 2011, 03:31 PM
lol, I hear ya man.

Glocks hold their value pretty well, so feel good about that.

Im not into the lasers as much, but a tac light isnt a bad idea. Youll likley never have time to use it in a true SD situation, but for HD its ok. Not sure if its worth the money for on, personaly, as I can do the same in my house with a Surefire on a lanyard around my wrist or thumb, but Im not against the idea either.

If you need a CCW holster for it, gimme a buzz ;)

Heimdhal
16th March 2011, 03:34 PM
also, if I may suggest:

One thing you can do if you go with the 22 or 23 (40 cal version of the 17 and 19) is swap out the barrel and the mags and you can shoot 9mm on the same platform. basicaly you're getting two calibers in one gun for just a little bit more money (barrels are about 100 bucks roughly).

Just an idea.

Awoke
17th March 2011, 04:39 AM
I already own several handguns, including a glock model 38, so I don't need a new glock, but I just want one. Decisions, decisions.

I can relate. I don't need another poly gun, but I am toying with the idea of a Glock .40 cal longslide. (Whatever model that is)

It isn't easy, being addicted to guns, but being broke at the same time! lol

foolsgold
5th October 2013, 08:19 PM
I can relate. I don't need another poly gun, but I am toying with the idea of a Glock .40 cal longslide. (Whatever model that is)

It isn't easy, being addicted to guns, but being broke at the same time! lol

I just bought the Glock 23 Gen4. Looking forward to getting it on my license so I can shoot the sh!t out of it.