PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline prep

Sparky
22nd February 2011, 12:02 PM
I used to only keep a 2.5 gallon container for the lawn mower, and would fill it when it got empty. Not any more. How much do you usually have on hand? Any comments with regard to adding stabilizer, rotating, or storage life? My understanding is that gas is good for about a year when you add stabilizer.

Ares
22nd February 2011, 12:11 PM
I wish I had the room to store gasoline, I would in a heartbeat..

Celtic Rogue
22nd February 2011, 12:13 PM
If I could I would like to have a 55 gallon steel barrel with a hand pump and fill hose attached. Something I could slide onto a PU truck bed for transport and filling. I cant store fuel in that quantities without burying it. I still may try and work it out. Other than that I have 2.5 gallon gas can to fill the mower and generator. I need more in my opinion. Although I may not want to try and be on the roads if TSHTF . I think I would hunker down... wait for all the crazies to be shot or arrested then make it to my secure BO site.

Cobalt
22nd February 2011, 12:14 PM
Always fill up just under 1/2 tank an I keep 25 gallons in jerry cans, rotate it out every couple of months.

Book
22nd February 2011, 12:15 PM
http://i21.geccdn.net/site/images/n-picgroup/30045929.jpg

Friend of mine keeps a 55-gal drum in his yard shed. Maybe makes sense if he is bugging IN and not bugging out.

:)

mightymanx
22nd February 2011, 12:20 PM
I keep "jerry cans" of diesel and gasoline including 2 stroke mix (chinsaws etc.)

For keeping it fresh I use Pri-g and pri-D Stabil is total crap.

old steel
22nd February 2011, 12:35 PM
You can always get one of these for your pickup truck but remember to lock the hell out of it.

Had an entire slip tank of fuel stolen once out in the middle of a field away from the road and after they pumped all the fuel out of it they swiped the pump too.

http://www.hugelsteel.com/assets/DSC02836_web.jpg

mick silver
22nd February 2011, 12:36 PM
what next , keeping extra food . i alway have a few cans of gas and other fuels stored . gas by the end of the week 4 buck

hoarder
22nd February 2011, 01:01 PM
Storing gasoline in the age of ethanol requires different strategies.

http://fuelschool.blogspot.com/2009/02/phase-separation-in-ethanol-blended.html

In addition to sta-bil/Pri-G, keep the tank full and store it where there is little temperature differential.

If you have a tank with a bung at the bottom, you can drain any accumulated water there.

Ethanol is OK in cars because they are driven regularly and thus does not have much time to separate. Also driving agitates the fuel which helps prevent phase separation.

90% of the repair work done in small engine shops is due to ethanol. Small engines sit for months, which not only causes the fuel on top to evaporate, but the stagnation breeds phase separation.

I left a cup or so in a 5 gallon plastic can a while back and looked in it a couple weeks later and what was in there looked like Karo syrup. I filled it up with gas without first cleaning, put it in an old non-catalyst truck and it ran with no problems.

Just don't let this crap dry in the carburator or fuel injection system.

Sparky
22nd February 2011, 01:11 PM
I keep "jerry cans" of diesel and gasoline including 2 stroke mix (chinsaws etc.)

Why is Sta-bil total crap?

hoarder
22nd February 2011, 01:15 PM
Sta-bil works but Pri-G works longer and better.

skid
22nd February 2011, 01:26 PM
Store non ethanol gas. It can still be obtained, but is usually more expensive, as it is typically pump premium. I keep a fair bit on hand as I use it in my irrigation pump, small lawn tractors, and other implements. I store it in a 55 gallon barrel that is in a cool spot. I typically keep it for a year and have never added stabilizer to it and have had no problems. It is non ethanol fuel though...

Also if you have two strokes, use Stihl premix as it has fuel stabilzer in it. I've never had a problem with fuel stored in my chainsaw and weedwhacker and they sometimes don't get run for some time. They are both Stihls though ;)

hoarder
22nd February 2011, 01:32 PM
Non-ethanol is available here (in the next county) but in high octane only, which costs 50 cents a gallon more.

Definitely don't use gas with ethanol in two cycle engines, it will destroy them.

Different states and different counties have different regulations. Educate yourself.

Ponce
22nd February 2011, 01:43 PM
Just got back from the BIG town, I now have 40 gallons in containers, 14 gallons in my truck and 18 gallons in my Rav-4...........should last me for a while.........and YES something is about to happen.

As soon as the weather is better I'll finish my inner fence that will be 10 feet away and all the way around the housel.

Already two tucks drove reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slowwwwwwwwww at the front of my house and went outside because I knew that they would make a U turn and come back, when they did I took a picuture of them........I don't think that they liked that very much.

Ash_Williams
22nd February 2011, 01:45 PM
This March some of my gas will be 3 years old. This was 87 regular with ethanol. I used stabil (I think) in the double-dose recommended for storing for 2 years. Stored in 5 gallon plastic jugs, airtight. Still worked perfectly fine in my old field truck last week. I over-did the amount I stored so in 2012 I will probably be able to report if the gas is still good after 4 years...

The jugs are stored in several large metal cabinets in an outdoor garage, no climate control.

The gas I store now is 91 octane without ethanol. I buy 91 to maximize its potential usefulness (i.e. the chainsaw and BMW both need 91).

Mouse
22nd February 2011, 09:19 PM
I keep 300g of gas and 275 red diesel. Calling the suckers tomorrow to come top em off. Calling propane too. Get it now for the way Ponce wants you to live tomorrow. ;D

Glass
22nd February 2011, 09:52 PM
I have 2 jerry cans which I keep reminding myself I need to fill up. Car is now kept topped up instead of about half. I would get about 800Kms if I had all cans and tank filled. I have some POR 15 which I have not used yet as cans are empty so I can't report on the performance of it. A friend has a couple 55Gals with diesel and is using POR 15. Nothing adverse so far but only about 18 months in storage ATM. I am really getting edgy about picking up a deisel 4x4. I want about 1200Kms range ++. Hope to have some new wheels by about 8 weeks max. We'll see.

mightymanx
23rd February 2011, 07:39 AM

Why is Sta-bil total crap?

It works short term only for over the winter etc. For the price there is much better things out there like Pri-G and D Seafoam. The only thing Stabil is the best at is advertising and product placement. that is my experience with the product anyways.

SLV^GLD
23rd February 2011, 07:55 AM
3x 5-gallon cans stay full always. Another 5-gallon remains in service. When the service container runs dry it gets refilled and placed at the back of the line like any other prep. Pri-G is used to stabilize. Typically no tank is stored for more than 18 months without seeing service. I find large amounts too difficult to safely store. I, like Book, see a large storage as something that might be abandoned whereas 5-gallon cans can go with you. If I lived elsewhere I might think differently but the current setup scales to the current living space.

I will reconsider my use of ethanol gas thanks to this thread.

horseshoe3
23rd February 2011, 09:26 AM
At any given time I have around 2000 gallons of gas and 5000 gallons of red deisel.

Sparky
23rd February 2011, 10:49 AM
At any given time I have around 2000 gallons of gas and 5000 gallons of red deisel.

Holy mackerel. Do you operate a gas station? :o

horseshoe3
23rd February 2011, 11:14 AM
No. A farm. That represents about 60% of a years supply.

On a semi-related note, I used to get all worked up about food preps until I realized that I have on hand enough food to last many years if I can defend it. There are risks and downsides to farming, but starving to death will never be a worry.

Mouse
24th February 2011, 12:48 AM
Everything you eat, at the end of the day. IS OIL.