PDA

View Full Version : Eat crow?

Neuro
6th March 2011, 05:57 AM
Has anyone here tried eating crow? I believe it is mainly is the breast that is normally prepared...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Eating+crow+can+be+a+good+thing.-a0196276068

Something to keep in mind for times ahead!

RJB
6th March 2011, 06:36 AM
Pigeons taste better from what I hear.

I saw two crows attack and kill a pigeon.

Another pedestrian saw this and mentioned how the crows are replacing the pigeons.

As we walked in the same direction, I mentioned that it was strange how it was happening simultaneously all across the country.

Then he mentioned the death of flocks of birds. We then mentioned other conspiratorial or just odd things occuring.

As we walked in different direction, I said, "there are a lot of weird things happening." We locked eyes and nodded like we both knew a secret and went on our ways. He reminded me of some of you guys.

Didn't mean hijack the thread. I've just been thinking about crows lately.

Neuro
6th March 2011, 07:37 AM
Hijack all you want! That is interesting what you say about crows taking over from pigeons, haven't heard that before. Pigeons probably have a bit more meat on them as well, at least it looks like that. Our old pathology teacher always talked about pigeons as the rats of the sky, in terms of carrying disease. He said another interesting thing also, that he had seen antibodies to HIV in blood taken from a sailor who had been to Africa, and the blood sample was taken in 1955....

Hillbilly
6th March 2011, 08:06 AM
My Grandpa ate Crows during the great depression and he said they were greasy nasty tasting birds.

Neuro
6th March 2011, 08:12 AM
My Grandpa ate Crows during the great depression and he said they were greasy nasty tasting birds.
May benefit from a coal grill then?

Ragnarok
6th March 2011, 08:28 AM
Crows aren't nearly as common as pigeons here in the San Joaquin Valley of California, except during the migration season.

OT:

Pigeons are almost a plague here; the local ahj's don't allow their population to actually be reduced, only methods to keep them from landing or scare them off. If they can be used as food in any form it would be good to know. I had also heard that they were greasy - not just "rats" of the sky, but the "carp" also.

R.

Neuro
6th March 2011, 08:58 AM
Crows aren't nearly as common as pigeons here in the San Joaquin Valley of California, except during the migration season.

OT:

Pigeons are almost a plague here; the local ahj's don't allow their population to actually be reduced, only methods to keep them from landing or scare them off. If they can be used as food in any form it would be good to know. I had also heard that they were greasy - not just "rats" of the sky, but the "carp" also.

R.
Pidgeon is a delicacy, that can be used as food. The 'rats of the sky' from my old pathology teacher was due to their ability to spread disease...

mick silver
6th March 2011, 09:00 AM
i was just thinking that the other day how would they taste ... i see about 30 or 40 a day

bellevuebully
6th March 2011, 10:15 AM
I'd eat a crow way before I ate a seagull. :puke

Neuro
6th March 2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah me too. Funny thing I was researching seagull recipes, a few minutes ago. Apparently they had seagull on the menu on some of the islands off the coast of Scotland in earlier days, but those are probably not too bad compared to the city(sea)gulls, that mainly eat garbage at dumps!

TheNocturnalEgyptian
6th March 2011, 10:29 AM
.......If I had to, I would.

But I'd try not to.

mick silver
6th March 2011, 10:31 AM
if you didnt have anything else to eat a crow would taste pretty dam good i would think

Hillbilly
6th March 2011, 10:40 AM
That might help but not much. I think he said his mom would roast them like a chicken.

May benefit from a coal grill then?

RJB
6th March 2011, 10:45 AM
if you didnt have anything else to eat a crow would taste pretty dam good i would think
I agree.

I think starvation would be a hell of a lot worse than eating crow, possum, seagull, etc.

BTW, the account of crow meat being greasy-- that only makes it better in a survival situation. Grease means fat.

A body can starve on plenty of lean meat. Beavers and raccoons top the chart on density of nutrition for wild game. Raccoon meat is pretty nasty-- they eat garbage. Beaver meat (along with muskrat) is my favorite wild game. They swim a lot so their muscles don't get too tough, uuntil they get older. Also beaver and muskrat mostly eat fresh plants.

Libertytree
6th March 2011, 11:32 AM
Do your level best to never piss the Crow population off. If ya kill some of them their family will remember you and will attack at every chance they get. They are not stupid birds.

RJB
6th March 2011, 11:49 AM
Do your level best to never piss the Crow population off. If ya kill some of them their family will remember you and will attack at every chance they get. They are not stupid birds.
I'd believe that.

I read a study that they can actually count. They take notice if 4 hunter enter an area and only 3 leave. Also, I notice that most birds fly away at my approach as if only worried of a big object nearing, where as crows seem to size me up, not only on size but my intent.

I knew a farmer who raised an orphanned crow and it became a pet. That bird was sharp when it grew up. The farmer kept extra clothe on his shoulder and the bird would perch there when he drove the tractor.

Book
6th March 2011, 12:18 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/09/13/gal_challenger-5.jpg

http://cafedarkness.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/american-eagle-and-flag-ii.jpg

Here we are literally talking about eating crow while our national bird is was the proud American Eagle.

:o

cthulu
6th March 2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NenEdSuL7QU

Neuro
6th March 2011, 01:57 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/09/13/gal_challenger-5.jpg

http://cafedarkness.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/american-eagle-and-flag-ii.jpg

Here we are literally talking about eating crow while our national bird is was the proud American Eagle.

:o

I doubt it would be too proud to eat a crow. Actually it is probably it's staple diet.

big country
7th March 2011, 09:04 AM
when I was a kid a family friend and outdoorsman told me if I ever find myself hungry that EVERY bird in North America was edible. I don't know if it is true, I don't know how to look it up, but I would eat any bird I ran across.

Libertytree
7th March 2011, 09:13 AM
when I was a kid a family friend and outdoorsman told me if I ever find myself hungry that EVERY bird in North America was edible. I don't know if it is true, I don't know how to look it up, but I would eat any bird I ran across.

I wonder if that includes Buzzards?

Awoke
7th March 2011, 09:37 AM
When the SHTF, if you find yourself eating things that you would normally not eat, a safe rule of thumb is to boil any meat for a minimum of 10 minutes.
This applies to four legged creatures as well, squirrel, etc.

Boiling meat will kill off trichinosis and other parasites, and it will get rid of that "greasy" fat that make so many meats unpalatable. Once it's boiled, then cook it like any other meat: Roasted, BBQed, etc, with whatever spices of sauces you want, but be sure to boil it first.

drafter
7th March 2011, 10:43 AM
I figure with enough BBQ sauce I'll be able to eat just about anything should the SHTF. I'm sure if you boiled the breast for a little then thru it on a grill covered in sauce and seasoning it probably wouldn't be too bad.

ximmy
7th March 2011, 11:04 AM
I figure with enough BBQ sauce I'll be able to eat just about anything should the SHTF. I'm sure if you boiled the breast for a little then thru it on a grill covered in sauce and seasoning it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Yes, BBQ sauce will be readily available during food crisis.

Book
7th March 2011, 11:17 AM
http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/Images/main_restaurants.jpg

http://174.132.105.130/~gecko/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/seabourn.jpg

Some will still be eating pretty good. They planned this collapse and I mean they also planned for themselves.

Libertytree
7th March 2011, 11:25 AM
I'm laughing my ass off people!!! As there are 8 buzzards congregated in the field about 150 yds away, (there ain't no carcus there either). If I could I'd shoot one and fix it up for a field report. ;D

Antonio
7th March 2011, 11:28 AM
Yep, they will be eating this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_Bunting

For centuries, a rite of passage for French gourmets has been the eating of the Ortolan. These tiny birds—captured alive, force-fed, then drowned in Armagnac—were roasted whole and eaten that way, bones and all, while the diner draped his head with a linen napkin to preserve the precious aromas and, some believe, to hide from God.

while we bbq each other`s livers.

solid
7th March 2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah me too. Funny thing I was researching seagull recipes, a few minutes ago. Apparently they had seagull on the menu on some of the islands off the coast of Scotland in earlier days, but those are probably not too bad compared to the city(sea)gulls, that mainly eat garbage at dumps!

Seagulls came to mind reading this thread. I know a guy who ate seagull eggs, he didn't care for them much, said they had a fishy taste to them.

Seagulls are smart too actually. I see them opening clams often. The start by flying up about 3 feet or so then dropping the clam on the dock. They check to see if the impact opened the clam. If it did, they eat. If not, they drop the clam from higher up. I saw one seagull do this 8 times, finally from about 10 feet high, he got the clam open. Tough clam.

I am mentally preparing myself that any bird or small game can be tossed in the pressure cooker and made stew out of. If it tastes like chicken... hint, do what some cultures already do...learn how to make it taste like chicken. ;D

RJB
7th March 2011, 07:12 PM
Stock up on hot sauce and dried hot peppers. There is a reason why cuisines from poorer countries tend to enjoy spicey foods....

skid
7th March 2011, 07:18 PM
I eat crow on occasion. Not the bird but the literary/made mistake type :P

the biss
7th March 2011, 07:24 PM
Raccoon meat is pretty nasty-- they eat garbage.

I'm going to disagree. To me, raccoon tastes like a dark meat pork with a little goat thrown in for flavor.

We trap coons here regularly because of their affinity for our chickens, and then they get eaten by our family (me, the wife and our three daughters). The key is preparation. I soak the carcass in a brine solution about the same salinity as the ocean overnight in our fridge. That removes the nasty flavor you referred to. The I rub it down with some Montreal steak rub and put it on the grill for a slow roasting.

Like with pork, you want to make sure it's cooked all the way through to at least 180 degrees to kill any parasites or bugs in the meat.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/39076_1510602278814_1047073222_1483572_6492527_n.j pg
The last critter that tried to eat my chickens!

RJB
7th March 2011, 07:33 PM
I'm going to disagree. To me, raccoon tastes like a dark meat pork with a little goat thrown in for flavor.
They aren't that bad, but I find that I can only stomach one a year. I tend to make spicey chili out of them. And I make it atomic hot.

I have noticed some taste better than others probably due to variation in diet.

I'm a bit of a trapper too. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to eat well when SHTF. Also I recommend trapping to anyone who wants to learn about the outdoors. I learned more in 2 weeks of trapping than I did from 20 years of hunting.

Cobalt
7th March 2011, 07:40 PM
I can't believe people are talking about eating nasty old crows :D

I have a pair of them that live out behind my house and they are my garbage disposal, anything food wise left over I toss out and they clean it up and bury what they can't eat right away.

RJB
7th March 2011, 07:45 PM
I just wanted to add that I was being a bit meladramatic calling the meat nasty. I would prefer other animals over coon, but it's edible if done up right. I also follow a half assed kosher diet. I try to avoid pork, shellfish, and other meat of animals who eat garbage. I find that if I eat pork (or raccoon) for one day, I'll be fine. If I eat it a few days consecutively, my body just feels toxic.

drafter
7th March 2011, 07:50 PM

Yes, BBQ sauce will be readily available during food crisis.

If you know how to grow tomatoes, make sauce, and can it (which I do) then yes, homemade BBQ sauce will be readily available. Maybe not store bought, but still good.

snapon
8th March 2011, 03:21 AM
"21 BlACKBIRDS baked in a pie!"

Neuro
8th March 2011, 03:35 AM
If you are going to eat an animal high up in the food chain, or that eats a lot of garbage, it is probably a good idea to avoid eating the liver, or the brain, were toxins tends to be stored...

gunDriller
8th March 2011, 07:16 AM
I can't believe people are talking about eating nasty old crows :D

I have a pair of them that live out behind my house and they are my garbage disposal, anything food wise left over I toss out and they clean it up and bury what they can't eat right away.

is there a way to fatten them up first ?

"here crow, nice crow - GOTCHA !"

if you put them in a cage with some food, will they settle down and start eating - or just squawk loudly and wake all the neighbors ?