PDA

View Full Version : Making the Chicken Run (Doug Casey on off-shoring your assets)

PatColo
8th March 2011, 04:43 PM
Making the Chicken Run (http://www.lewrockwell.com/casey/casey77.1.html)

by Doug Casey
March 7, 2011

With the U.S. government's ever-increasing stranglehold on Americans' assets, smart investors are now taking their wealth abroad. Doug Casey tells you how to do it, and why you shouldn't put it off any longer.

"Making the chicken run" is what Rhodesians used to say about neighbors who packed up and got out during the '60s and '70s, before the place became Zimbabwe. It was considered "unpatriotic" to leave Rhodesia. But it was genuinely idiotic not to.

I've written many times about the importance of internationalizing your assets, your mode of living, and your way of thinking. I suspect most readers have treated those articles as they might a travelogue to some distant and exotic land: interesting fodder for cocktail party chatter, but basically academic and of little immediate personal relevance.

I'm directing these comments towards the U.S., mainly because that's where the problem is most acute, but they're applicable to most countries.

MORE >> (http://www.lewrockwell.com/casey/casey77.1.html)

solid
8th March 2011, 07:18 PM
This is a fantastic article. To truly be 'patriotic' one must leave the country and view it, from the outside. It's important to be proud to be an American, where ever you may land, in the future. It's also important, to be open to being an American where you may find more freedom than you do here.

Book
8th March 2011, 07:26 PM
Where to go? The personal conclusion I came to was Argentina (followed by Uruguay), where I spend a good part of my year, and even more when my house at La Estancia de Cafayate is completed.

In general, I would suggest you look most seriously at countries whose governments aren't overly cozy with the U.S. and whose people maintain an inbred suspicion of the police, the military, and the fiscal authorities. These criteria tilt the scales against past favorites like Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the UK.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ar.html

Twisted Titan
9th March 2011, 11:48 AM
Your greatest chance of survial is

1) Familarity of the terrian

2) The abilty to feed clothe and protect yourself.

Unless you are well and I mean WELL CONNECTED expating is a fools run.

You DONT want to be odd man out as the crisis unfolds as you will be offered up as the sacrificial lamb to quell the mass discontent of the locals.

DMac
9th March 2011, 01:59 PM
Skip Argentina for South America, they have constant currency issues. Chile and Uruguay are the places to be for the next 10-20 years in either of the Americas if you are considering a move, IMO.

I've been doing research on the ground. Property rights are key, and few nations in the world respect a persons' right to their property more than Chile. Foreigners have just as much capability in buying real estate as citizens. Foreign investment is gratuitously welcomed.

Uruguay has similar aspects but is not as friendly to foreign investment as Chile.

Twisted Titan
9th March 2011, 02:29 PM
How are the kidnapping issues down there???

T

mick silver
9th March 2011, 02:33 PM
i dont have a place i will run to . i am to old to move on this country is all of ours . and i cannot see it being any better some were else . this white boy will stand out to

DMac
9th March 2011, 03:29 PM
How are the kidnapping issues down there???

T

It is a non issue in Chile.

woodman
9th March 2011, 03:53 PM
I don't blame anyone for leaving if they can find green pastures. It is not a matter of patriotism. The people in this country are mind-fucked for the most part. Who wants to stay and either feed the beast or become extinct? I will stay because I have roots here. I could easily see myself having dual citizenship though (not Israeli), if I could afford it. I had considered setting up a base in New Zealand but it is pretty hard to do without A: high tech training or B: a bunch of money to start a business.

gunDriller
10th March 2011, 06:41 AM
the main thing is to not let an increasingly Sovietized US government gain access to your personal & sacred possessions.

you can do that on-shore or off-shore.

in a sense, you can "go off-shore", on-shore.

DMac
10th March 2011, 07:54 AM
One of my main concerns with planning to stay in the US permanently is the access to clean food (as in non-GMO).

I am hoping to one day soon buy a farm. In the US, the future of farming is being directed by Monsanto. Even if you are a grower of your own food, there is nothing to stop the cross pollination of the Monsanto frankenseeds from reaching your land. The only way to escape this danger is to not live near it.