PDA

View Full Version : Potassium Iodide pills are recommended to protect people from radioactivity

uncletonoose
14th March 2011, 06:30 PM
Even if international authorities report that the risk after the accidents that took place at the nuclear plant in Japan is “very low”,the Spanish Society for Radiological Protection (SEPR)warns about the necessity to distribute Potassium Iodide tablets to protect people against radioactivity.

The vice president of this entity,Eduardo Gallego,acknowledges that, “despite having alienated the population over 20 kilometers of the affected area if they do not cool the fuel in time a radioactive cloud could be generated.”

In this case,told Gallego to Europa Press,”the most aggressive impact” is caused by radioactive iodine,which accumulates in the thyroid gland which leads to thyroid cancer.

To avoid this,it is recommended to distribute Potassium Iodide tablets among the population”the thyroid is saturated with harmless iodine so that when the radioactive iodine is inhaled or ingested through food,the body does not accumulate and will eliminate it.”

In fact, he says,”the biggest mistake made in the tragedy of Chernobyl was not to distribute these pills among the population ”

which caused more than 6,000 cases of thyroid cancer among people close to the disaster.

“The Japanese authorities are assessing it but still have not distribute it,”Gallego acknowledged,who also ensures that its effects last for several days.

Furthermore,although it does not have any contraindication,except in patients with thyroid problems, this expert points out that its use must be “under medical advice”and should not be taken until the risk of radioactivity increases.

http://www.dailynewsengine.com/1121/potassium-iodide-pills-are-recommended-to-protect-people-from-radioactivity/

Ponce
14th March 2011, 06:41 PM
You DO NOT take those pills unless you know for sure that there is or will be radiaton in the gneral area, many people will get really sick to their liver if they take it just "because".

sunshine05
14th March 2011, 07:05 PM
http://www.curezone.com/forums/description.asp?f=815

A good source of info on KI. It's been found that most Americans are pretty iodine deficient because we take in so many other halogens that they offset the Iodine. The USDA recommended amounts are way too low. There are people taking 50 mg/day just to get their levels where they need to be. So try not to get too scared of Iodine. I supplement a little with it, take a drop here and there of Lugol's 2% KI. It is a good thing to have on hand, even if you don't end up needing it for a nuclear catastrophe.

iOWNme
14th March 2011, 07:09 PM
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011/03/dont-take-potassium-iodide-unless-you.html

Dont take iodide unless you have been exposed to Radiation

Because of the fear that the radiation from the Japanese nuclear meltdowns will hit the Western United states (see this and this), potassium iodide has sold out in most health food and supplement stores in many California, Oregon and Washington locations.

People know that it's good to take potassium iodide to protect against radiation, to help protect against thyroid cancer (potassium iodide does not protect any other organs).

But taking potassium iodide when there is no radiation can actually damage the thyroid gland ... at least in some individuals.

For example:

Finland's radiation and nuclear safety authority STUK said in a statement ... "Iodine tablets should not be taken without recommendations from officials, because the risk of side effects is greater than the possible benefit," the authority warned.

A doctor told me that potassium iodide is given to people with hyperthyroid disease in order to partially kill the thyroid - i.e. to lower thyroid function.

Indeed, the New York Times notes:

Experts in Japan and the United States say the country is now facing a cascade of accumulating problems that suggest that radioactive releases of steam from the crippled plants could go on for weeks or even months.

You can't take potassium iodide for months on end.

Ideally, buy potassium iodide now, and monitor radiation levels by looking at real-time monitoring networks such as this and this. Don't take iodide unless and until elevated radiation levels hit your area.

Whatever you do, don't take more than the recommended dosage. The Centers for Disease Control and the FDA recommend:

* 130 milligrams for adults

* 65 milligrams for children

Each 24 hours that one is exposed to radiation.

Sees this for further details.

mightymanx
14th March 2011, 07:39 PM
A good rule of thumb is take if it you think the benifits outweigh living the rest of your life with out a thyroid gland.

Think about that real hard before you ruin yours and your childrens lives.

Did anyone here take iodine for Chernobyl?

So all those "no"'s out there, your a dying nuclear mutant existing for the last 30 years right?

cortez
14th March 2011, 09:13 PM
email from my chemist buddy in arizona

Nothing beats blue turds!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure how worked up to get over this. I know they had two explosions at two different reactors, and that the rods were exposed intermittently at a couple of plants; however, I'm still not clear on the extent of radiation leakage. I'm still looking into it. Also, if there was leakage ( I'm assuming there is at least a little - some of our troops on humanitarian mission there were scrubbed due to low level exposures) I am trying to figure out the true expected fall out map. I have seen one that looks completely specious: it shows the west coast getting hit with 500 - 700 rad 6 or more days after the explosion. That doesn't seem right. Also, we should have until tomorrow at the earliest before worrying about anything, or hopping a flight back east for an impromptu vacation.

The two main things to worry about are radioactive iodine and cesium. Potassium iodide would be good for the iodine (obviously) and the prussian blue would alleviate the cesium exposure. You might do yourself some real harm if you don't make the prussian blue up correctly ( I would stay away from it). A better alternative might be cessium chloride (50mg dose): see the attached link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3412208

If you have more details about the explosions and leaks, pass it on.

We're f'ed, just probably not from the radiation but the global banking elite.

BrewTech
14th March 2011, 09:23 PM
I've found that getting potassium iodide on short notice is quite a bitch around these parts...

Food - check
Water - check
PMs - check
Fuel - check
Generator - check
Home defense and related accessories - check
First aid kit - check
Potassium iodide in case Japan has a nuclear catastrophe ------------- ? WHOOPSIE! Didn't see that one coming!

Oh well.

cortez
14th March 2011, 09:31 PM
I've found that getting potassium iodide on short notice is quite a bitch around these parts...

Food - check
Water - check
PMs - check
Fuel - check
Generator - check
First aid kit - check
Potassium iodide in case Japan has a nuclear catastrophe ------------- ? WHOOPSIE! Didn't see that one coming!

Oh well.

Well we will all have some on hand for the next time if we dont need it now :oo-->

milehi
14th March 2011, 09:34 PM
I keep iodine for water purification purposes, but cleaned out the local healthfood store Saturday morning. Brewtech, I sent you a PM for a possible source in your area.

solid
14th March 2011, 10:33 PM

Food - check
Water - check
PMs - check
Fuel - check
Generator - check
First aid kit - check

Oh well.

Yup, check...and a big whoopsie here too.

Can't hide from radiation. Folks, good luck, and God bless.

silver solution
14th March 2011, 11:15 PM
People are stating it does not protect you from mox fuel. Seems people are staying one dust particle will kill you? All living things in Japan will (could) die? Look out west coast?

The thing is, it does seem they were using this in one of those plants.

I have no clue, never heard of it before today?

I'm drinking wine and playing my Bass and I know nothing. I'm having hard time with the song I want to play.

http://sherriequestioningall.blogspot.com/

Glass
14th March 2011, 11:41 PM
Question for youse guys. I remember when I was listening a lot to AJ he would have these Ads on for Potasium Iodate. Not the iodine but iodate.

Does anyone know the difference?

zap
14th March 2011, 11:51 PM
So from what I understand the potassium iodide is only going to protect your thyroid, if levels of radiation are high enough your going to get radiation poisoning or some weird disease anyhow right?

ShortJohnSilver
15th March 2011, 01:37 AM
Question for youse guys. I remember when I was listening a lot to AJ he would have these Ads on for Potasium Iodate. Not the iodine but iodate.

Does anyone know the difference?

According to Wikipedia the difference is that iodate holds up better in hot climates. If you get iodide or iodate, shouldn't matter as long as you know it is relatively "fresh" and hasn't been exposed to extreme temperature.

Neuro
15th March 2011, 01:39 AM
Poor Americans!

For fuck sake get a grip will you! You are at far greater risk, long term from the DU exposure your soldiers got in Iraq, remember the 18.000 tons of nuclear waste your armed forces dumped in Iraq!

Antonio
15th March 2011, 02:16 AM
Seriously, the West coast may get a bit of shit but you will not eat contaminated food like Russians ate after Chernobyl.
Gorby distributed millions of tons of contaminated food throughout the USSR. The govt was so rotten at that point that they didn`t want to destroy it and have to buy foreign food so they let everyone share the poison, this is how we in Leningrad had bones full of radiation, it was not thru rain or air, it was food.

Palladium is expectedly crashing, now that`s fucked up ???

Shami-Amourae
15th March 2011, 03:06 AM
I think people should only take Potassium Iodine AFTER they get radiation sickness, as a quick solution. Why only Potassium Iodine? What about Kelp? What about Lugol's Iodine?

The reason you "need" Iodine when it comes to radiation is because our Western diets and nutrient depleted foods keep us starving for Iodine. Our thyroid gland is desperate for it, and will gobble up whatever remotely looks like Iodine when you are depleted, hence why it eats up Fluorine and Bromine (used as a whitener in flour,) which gets us sicker. One of the main things that gets you sick with radiation is radioactive Iodine, but if you're body has enough Iodine from prior supplementation this radioactive Iodine will have a lesser effect on you.

So instead of playing with straight chemicals, take Kelp supplements regularly -- this is the best natural way to get it. If your stomach CAN'T handle kelp (it's hard on the stomach,) you can try Lugol's Iodine.

sunnyandseventy
15th March 2011, 04:09 AM
Poor Americans!

For fuck sake get a grip will you! You are at far greater risk, long term from the DU exposure your soldiers got in Iraq, remember the 18.000 tons of nuclear waste the ZOG controlled armed forces dumped in Iraq!

Fixed it for you.

Jazkal
15th March 2011, 04:53 AM
PI is supposed to be taken within 3-4 hours of radiation exposure (sooner is better). But don't take it unless you are pretty sure (why having radiation detectors on hand is kind of important).

All it does is flood (fill) your thyroid with good Iodine/ate, so that the radioactive kind doesn't get in there and poison you.

This won't do anything to prevent particles from getting into your lungs and causing you damage from that vector. That is why you need some kind of air filtration device to breath through.

Ares
15th March 2011, 05:27 AM
Iodine pills are NOT going to protect you, Iodine-131 has a half life of 8.02 days. Meaning by the time it gets to the west coast if it takes 4-5 days to get there has lost most of it's radioactivity. Now if you were next to the reactor when it blew, then yes I would recommend some iodine to saturate your thyroid to prevent Iodine-131 from binding to the tissue causing damage. The "good" news about Iodine-131 is that it typically targets the thyroid, so regular Iodine can help mitigate the effects. Even people on the west coast have NOTHING to fear from Iodine-131 as it's life span is only 8 days before it decays. Cesium is what you should be concerned about.

Cesium-137 has a half life of 30 or so years. Pharmaceutical grade Prussian Blue will help the body in removing Cesium-137. But it's by prescription only in the U.S. Iodine will NOT protect you against Cesium-137.

I'm all about Iodine as I supplement it myself. But with the doses required to mitigate Iodine-131 you all are wasting your FRN's in purchasing Potassium Iodine.

sunshine05
15th March 2011, 05:58 AM
From Dr. Brownstein's blog. He is an expert on iodine supplementation. I've been following him for years.

Monday, March 14, 2011
Japan Radiation Update
I have received many questions from my post yesterday about the nuclear disaster in Japan. Unfortunately, there has been little information about the amount of radiation released from either Japan or the U.S. I find it hard to believe no one in the U.S. government has any idea on the amount of radiation that has been released and the amount of radiation that is predicted to fall over the U.S. in the next 3-7 days.

What should we do? I still say that we have time to sit tight as there is still time to take enough iodine in order to prevent problems from radioactive iodine. How much iodine? As stated yesterday, the U.S. government recommends 130mg of potassium iodide in the event of a nuclear disaster. However, that amount is only necessary for those who are near a nuclear explosion.

Thankfully, we are not near the explosion. As the cloud drifts over the ocean, the amount of radioactivity will dissipate. Although there is no sure amount that we know will prevent damage from this catastrophe, ensuring adequate iodine intake will minimize any exposure to radioactive iodine. How much iodine is that? Until we know what the exposure is going to be, no one can know what dose of iodine to take.

Now it is time to get off the fence. The average Japanese ingests around 13mg of iodine per day. This is 100x more than the average U.S. citizen. I have discussed this in my book, Iodine Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It. Since I have been recommending most people take 6-50mg of iodine per day, I would suggest taking the average Japanese dose of 13mg/day. This is one Iodoral pill or one Iodozyme HP pill or two drops of Lugol’s iodine. I do not believe microgram doses will do the trick.

There is risk with taking iodine, just as there is risk with any substance, but my experience has shown this dose to be safe for the vast majority of people. Please discuss this dosage with your health care provider before beginning supplementation.

In the next day or two, I will try to answer the questions that I have received about this crises. Also, I will keep you informed if any new information becomes available.

http://drdavidbrownstein.blogspot.com/

ShortJohnSilver
15th March 2011, 06:35 AM
Get thee to the local Japanese noodle house and order up a big bowl of miso soup. It has fermented bean curd and seaweed, both were found to be very helpful in assisting your body to fight radiation damage.

General of Darkness
15th March 2011, 11:05 AM
BUMP

cortez
15th March 2011, 11:21 AM
Poor Americans!

For fuck sake get a grip will you! You are at far greater risk, long term from the DU exposure your soldiers got in Iraq, remember the 18.000 tons of nuclear waste your armed forces dumped in Iraq!

what about when this one goes??? meant to take 7.9 ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_Canyon_Power_Plant

Neuro
15th March 2011, 12:50 PM
Poor Americans!

what about when this one goes??? meant to take 7.9 ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_Canyon_Power_Plant
Yes, what about it?

3-4 reactors in Japan are about to have a core meltdown, with almost 50 million people in the immediate vicinity! How about if that happens?

cortez
15th March 2011, 01:02 PM
i cant do anything about that.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
15th March 2011, 01:13 PM
Okay, call me crazy, but I already had Potassium Iodine stocked. I got 5 bottles a while back for about 10 FRNs from a camping store online.

I did not think I would EVER need it. As of yet, I have not taken any. But people have been going nuts! Sunday night, I was hanging out at a health food store, talking with the owner, and several people came in trying to find potassium iodine! What a trip to see people actually scrounging to get something they're not even sure they'll need.

I do supplement with regular lugols Iodine (foot painting method) and I also get a fair bit of iodine because I include powdered seaweed in my protein shakes.

I would probably have to see people being affected by radiation or have a mega-confirmation before I actually started taking potassium iodine.

uncletonoose
15th March 2011, 01:18 PM
The sharks are getting very hungry. Look at the prices on Ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A1%257C72%253A4726&rt=nc&_nkw=potassium+iodide&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=16&_sc=1

Large Sarge
15th March 2011, 01:22 PM
govt blocking sales of KI

http://www.prisonplanet.com/u-s-government-blocking-americans-from-obtaining-potassium-iodide.html

keehah
15th March 2011, 02:34 PM
'Hoarding' is not necessarily a bad thing. Hoarding during times of plenty, to sell in times of scarcity improves the market and fills demand. Hoarding regular public supplies during a spike in need is the bad type of hoarding.

Note what the people are doing vs what the government is doing.

Large Sarge
15th March 2011, 02:36 PM
you better have your own geiger counter also

you will not get real readings from any govt/official source either

keehah
15th March 2011, 02:43 PM
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Surgeon-General-Buying-Iodine-Appropriate-118031559.html

U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin is in the Bay Area touring a peninsula hospital. NBC Bay Area reporter Damian Trujillo asked her about the run on tablets and Dr. Benjamin said although she wasn't aware of people stocking up, she did not think that would be an overreaction. She said it was right to be prepared.

On the other side of the issue is Kelly Huston of the California Emergency Management Agency. Hoston said state officials, along with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the California Energy Commission, were monitoring the situation and said people don't need to buy the pills.

Shami-Amourae
15th March 2011, 02:50 PM
If you really want it get it in the pure form here:

http://purebulk.com/potassium-iodide
---Update: Just Sold Out---

Just slowly add it to some water, and stir it continuously (Without metal! Use a glass utensil or something like that -- iodine breaks down metal!)

Keep adding the KI powder slowly until it stops dissolving it, then run the solution through a coffee filter to make sure you ONLY have the solution left, and no solids that didn't dissolve. That's the cheapest way to get Potassium Iodine, and you could resell it on the newly formed black market for tons of $$$.

You will also find Potassium Iodine under the name SSKI. This basically just stands for Super Saturated Potassium Iodine.

Shami-Amourae
15th March 2011, 03:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3xVgTXje9Q

jaybone
15th March 2011, 03:03 PM
Iodine (I) can be hard on the liver,
Iodide (I-) much less so.

I take up to a gram of Iodide most days.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
15th March 2011, 03:36 PM

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A1%257C72%253A4726&rt=nc&_nkw=potassium+iodide&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=16&_sc=1

The 2nd link on that page is the brand I have. Starting bid, $1,500. I purchased that bottle for $2.

Sharks indeed.

Kali
15th March 2011, 04:05 PM
I have some Lugol's Iodine solution.

Its 10% Potassium Iodine.

Anyone know how much I need to take to get proper dosage...

jaybone
15th March 2011, 04:25 PM
If you mix it with orange juice or vitamin C powder it will convert all the elemental iodine into iodide, which is what you want for radiation protection, and iodide is easier on the body. I don't know how much you would need, but start at a modest dosage now and work up gradually, if it is only iodide and not iodine you can take quite a bit. I often take a gram of SSKI (iodide), but that much lugols (iodine/iodide) would probably make me pretty ill.

Think of it like this:
NaCl = Table salt = Sodium Chloride - dissolves in water to make Na+ and Cl-
Cl- is chloride and is OK
Cl is chlorine gas, not OK

Shami-Amourae
15th March 2011, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't take more than 1 drop a day if you're just starting out with 10% Lugol's Iodine.

AT MINIMUM 12.5mg - 25mg of KI (Lugol's or Iodoral), optimally the recommended level is 50mg, but don't start off this way or it will be dangerous, you have to ween yourself onto Iodine supplementation slowly.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znqej6FBxTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HImgijfyjiQ

osoab
15th March 2011, 04:42 PM

The 2nd link on that page is the brand I have. Starting bid, $1,500. I purchased that bottle for $2.

Sharks indeed.

This is the highest placed bid I have seen. 127 bucks for 14 tablets. There is another auction bidding at $158 for 200 tablets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/iOSAT-KI-Potassium-Iodide-Radiation-Tablets-14-Tablets-/160559626467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25621978e3

AOW
15th March 2011, 04:57 PM
http://www.king5.com/news/Disaster-Leads-to-Nuke-Pill-Demand-in-Seattle-117972494.html

Radiation fears lead to nuke pill demand in Seattle

SEATTLE - The phone has been ringing off the hook at Seattle vitamin and nutrition stores as worried customers try to get their hands on the radiation fighting compound potassium iodide.

Also known as K-I for its combined names on the Table of Elements, potassium iodide floods the body with non-radioactive iodine that then fends off radioactive iodine from nuclear exposure.

It proved very effective in fighting thyroid cancer in Europe after the Chernobyl disaster. It is being handed out in pill form to people living near the crippled nuclear reactors in Japan.

And even though experts have repeatedly said there is no current threat of a nuclear release reaching the U.S., a holistic nutrition store on Seattle’s Capitol Hill had its modest supply of potassium iodide sold out in hours.

“Oh yeah, they’re really scared,” said Rae Diamond of Rainbow Natural Remedies, “and that’s the main thing…to try to quiet the fears.”

Diamond said she is suggesting holistic alternatives for her customers while waiting for a fresh shipment of potassium iodide to arrive this week.

While the radiation from Japan is not expected to reach this country, it has revived demands in congress for a national supply of potassium iodide to be doled out to all communities near nuclear facilities.

Doctors say people living near the crippled Japanese reactors are getting less radiation that they would in a normal chest x-ray.

"I think it would be foolish scare mongering to send people out to take K-I at this point," said Peter Crane, a former attorney for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. But he says this is a good time to prepare for our own disaster.

"I think the important thing about K-I is to have it ready in case there's ever a disaster here," he said.

Crane supports a revived drive underway in Congress to make potassium iodide available to anyone living near a U.S. nuclear facility.

gunDriller
15th March 2011, 07:04 PM
i talked to a pharmacist about it today.

side effect - nausea, diarrhea, acne. he didn't say where the acne would occur :o

he said they normally prescribe it as a drug for someone who is undergoing radiation therapy.

are the Japan plants releasing radioactive iodine/ iodide ? he said it would only protect you from that.

ShortJohnSilver
15th March 2011, 07:38 PM
Cesium, which is very toxic and more than likely something that will be released at some point, has a half life of 30 years (iodine is 8 days)... supposedly Prussian blue can be taken. Dietary fix is no sugars or starches, lots of brown rice, miso soup, seaweed.

Son-of-Liberty
15th March 2011, 07:50 PM
Dietary fix is no sugars or starches, lots of brown rice, miso soup, seaweed.

Not trying to start an argument but that doesn't make any sense, brown rice is mostly starch.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
15th March 2011, 11:13 PM
The only thing that the potassium iodine pill is good for is flooding your thyroid temporarily so you can hoof it out of the fallout zone.

That's not really appropriate in this case. For the type of situation we are talking about, I really think that your lifestyle, and natural features around you are going to determine how susceptible your organs are to any possible radiation in the atmosphere.

While we are on the topic, this is a great time to learn about iodine anyway. Iodine is essential for life. The thyroid is extremely good at reusing the same iodine over and over. This is lucky, because almost everyone is iodine deficient.

Healthy Iodine levels can cause Fluoride detox. This is a good thing, but careful not to invoke a 'healing crisis' (where you detox too fast.) Detox hurts more than you think it will. As Shami-Amourae correctly noted, Go Slow.

ShortJohnSilver
15th March 2011, 11:41 PM
Dietary fix is no sugars or starches, lots of brown rice, miso soup, seaweed.

Not trying to start an argument but that doesn't make any sense, brown rice is mostly starch.

There is a difference in the nutrition profile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rice

Sorry to be unclear, my comments are based on a link I can't load at the moment, due to "bandwidth exceeded". I think, from memory, that the words were closer to "no sugar no wheat" - so my original comment should be amended.