PDA

View Full Version : what's your survival "fetish?"

chad
15th March 2011, 03:42 PM
do you guys have any item that you just can't stop getting? for me, it's stoves. i don't even know how many different kinds + types i have. dozens probably. i could probably outfit a small army at this point. i just bought this about 10 minutes ago:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/great-northern-camp-stove.aspx?a=645055

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/172631_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

what's your survival fetish?

drafter
15th March 2011, 04:00 PM
Ammo. Never seems to be enough. ;D

Publico Pro Se
15th March 2011, 04:09 PM

What level are you at? Stockpile, cache, enough to supply an army?

solid
15th March 2011, 04:13 PM
Mine would have to be fire hose work pants. You know it's bad when everyone you work with calls you "Fire hose".

I just got another order in, one more pair of work pants and a pair of fire hose jeans. Haven't worn the jeans yet, but they look tougher than any pair of pants I've ever seen.

I'm sold on the whole material, it's tough stuff. Lifetime guarantee. When TSHTF, I'll be wearing fire hose clothing. If this addictions keeps up, it's all I may end up wearing anyway! ;D

chad
15th March 2011, 04:13 PM

i hear you. i'm at "enough for an army" on .22LR and cache on .223, 9mm.

only at stockpile for .270 and .762 X .39 :boohoo

YukonCornelius
15th March 2011, 04:25 PM
Tp, mountain house freeze dried bags.

YukonCornelius
15th March 2011, 04:26 PM
Speaking of Tp, how many rolls does ponce have?

solid
15th March 2011, 04:35 PM
Chad, I just snapped a quick picture of my off the grid stove that I constantly rave about. It's a denatured alcohol stove/oven.

sunnyandseventy
15th March 2011, 04:42 PM
Flashlights and ammunition. Why the f*** did I buy so many flashlights!

drafter
15th March 2011, 04:50 PM

What level are you at? Stockpile, cache, enough to supply an army?

Brick of .22. Why would anyone need more than that? ::)

Antonio
15th March 2011, 05:14 PM
Custom survival/combat knives made from 1/4" carbon steel stock, differentially tempered Japanese style ;D.
While the world circles the drain, I sit quietly and admire the temper lines on my blades....

chad
15th March 2011, 05:16 PM
Chad, I just snapped a quick picture of my off the grid stove that I constantly rave about. It's a denatured alcohol stove/oven.

i remember you talking about that. what's the brand/model again?

Shami-Amourae
15th March 2011, 05:49 PM
Health supplements. I have tons of almost every supplement you can think of to treat anything. I'm training myself to be a self-taught naturopath. This is the only way to forever escape doctors and the medical establishment. I'm doing everything I can to help others around me and wake them up to the things I have through this stuff, since when they try a supplement, and see real results, suddenly subjects like the Federal Reserve and the Rothschilds are more feasible.

hoarder
15th March 2011, 05:56 PM
Generators.
I have 4 so far, all 1800 RPM and over 25 years old. Two are air-cooled diesels, 8 KW and 7.5 KW. Two are gasoline Onans, 5 KW and 6.5 KW. Living off grid makes you appreciate good generators.

solid
15th March 2011, 06:10 PM

It's made by a Swedish company called Origo. It's solid stainless, and pricey. You can get the stove models, without the oven, for less. Like you, I have a great concern over being able to cook. Instead of having a bunch of different stoves, don't have the space actually..I've got one that's bullet proof. If I'm in the middle of the ocean sailing through a hurricane, this is the stove I trust.

I love the fact that I don't have any compressed gases on board the boat. Nothing to blow up on me. It's so simple to use, I'll never go back to a complex gas stove. I stockpile denatured alcohol by the gallon, and store it in those 5 gallon blue 'kerosene' gas cans. I figure I use about a gallon a month, would be slightly more if I cooked ever meal on it.

If I ever get that cabin I dream of, off the grid, I'm installing one of these stoves in it.

skid
15th March 2011, 06:12 PM
Gardening/growing, in the near future as my orchards mature, I will be able to sell a lot of fruit and nuts.

old steel
15th March 2011, 06:28 PM
When people come over for a party for one of the teenagers i tie the various shoes together in mismatch pairs really tight and then see how far into the night we get before they notice.

Most teenagers don't notice tell they leave but the really sad part is their parents don't either and the entrance needs to be walked past to get to the bathrooms. ;D

chad
15th March 2011, 06:30 PM

It's made by a Swedish company called Origo. It's solid stainless, and pricey. You can get the stove models, without the oven, for less. Like you, I have a great concern over being able to cook. Instead of having a bunch of different stoves, don't have the space actually..I've got one that's bullet proof. If I'm in the middle of the ocean sailing through a hurricane, this is the stove I trust.

I love the fact that I don't have any compressed gases on board the boat. Nothing to blow up on me. It's so simple to use, I'll never go back to a complex gas stove. I stockpile denatured alcohol by the gallon, and store it in those 5 gallon blue 'kerosene' gas cans. I figure I use about a gallon a month, would be slightly more if I cooked ever meal on it.

If I ever get that cabin I dream of, off the grid, I'm installing one of these stoves in it.

damn, that thing is NICE. found a few for around $1,300 or so. is it really worth that? tell me no, otherwise i might spring for one for my pop-up camper.

Buddha
15th March 2011, 06:33 PM
I am in the process of making a library, I want it to be comprehensive. Not a survival tool per se, but knowing is half the battle! YAY! Plus I'll have something to do when I'm sitting around while the horsemen run around outside.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTF2rPKpsx-qfPK3Se7kPE4JDXFPI-CVMeiwdEmcJFk-Vs8_e1Qdw

When people come over for a party for one of the teenagers i tie the various shoes together in mismatch pairs really tight and then see how far into the night we get before they notice.

Most teenagers don't notice tell they leave but the really sad part is their parents don't either and the entrance needs to be walked past to get to the bathrooms. ;D

Wat?

solid
15th March 2011, 06:46 PM
found a few for around $1,300 or so. is it really worth that? tell me no, otherwise i might spring for one for my pop-up camper.

Wow, it's really gone up in price! I ordered mine through defender (link below) and it was about 1000. Now it is $1400 listed there. Of course, I paid about $200 to have it shipped here...

If you can do without the oven in your camper, I'd recommend the 2 burner stove for $340. Cooking with alcohol, liquid fuel is a great peace of mind. I do use the oven, but it's another $1000 for it. Since it's all I cook with, I suppose it's worth it. I've cooked chickens, casseroles, biscuits, etc. The stove works well, but it's a lot more $ for it.

For the camper, I'd probably just go for the single, or 2-burner model.

It's a good stove, imo.

http://search.defender.com/?expression=origo&x=7&y=7

chad
15th March 2011, 06:59 PM
found a few for around $1,300 or so. is it really worth that? tell me no, otherwise i might spring for one for my pop-up camper.

Wow, it's really gone up in price! I ordered mine through defender (link below) and it was about 1000. Now it is $1400 listed there. Of course, I paid about $200 to have it shipped here...

If you can do without the oven in your camper, I'd recommend the 2 burner stove for $340. Cooking with alcohol, liquid fuel is a great peace of mind. I do use the oven, but it's another $1000 for it. Since it's all I cook with, I suppose it's worth it. I've cooked chickens, casseroles, biscuits, etc. The stove works well, but it's a lot more $ for it.

For the camper, I'd probably just go for the single, or 2-burner model.

It's a good stove, imo.

http://search.defender.com/?expression=origo&x=7&y=7

my wife is dying for an oven, so i probably pop for i. thanks so much for posting this, i don't have anything like it. wil be ordering next friday. ;D

gunDriller
15th March 2011, 07:07 PM
do you guys have any item that you just can't stop getting? for me, it's stoves. i don't even know how many different kinds + types i have. dozens probably. i could probably outfit a small army at this point. i just bought this about 10 minutes ago:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/great-northern-camp-stove.aspx?a=645055

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/172631_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

what's your survival fetish?

compost. i love making compost.

solid
15th March 2011, 07:08 PM
my wife is dying for an oven, so i probably pop for i. thanks so much for posting this, i don't have anything like it. wil be ordering next friday. ;D

Chad, I hope you like it, I can only give my own opinion on this stove and I think it's fantastic. Read some other opinions though, please! :)

BTW, you are welcome to this stove...this is the one I replaced with the Origo. It's in storage, 4 full CNG tanks, would be good for a camper as well. But, it's gas. ;)

No charge. But, can't ship it, so you'd have to pick it up.

http://gold-silver.us/forum/member-trading/stainless-steel-cng-stoveoven-2-regulators-4-bottles/

mightymanx
15th March 2011, 07:14 PM
I can't seem to quit stockpiling Hookers and Blow.

Ok the serious one is I do have 5 complete INCH kits, 4 bob's and a few car kits.

solid
15th March 2011, 07:17 PM
Anybody else stockpile nuts, bolts, screws, hasps, etc? Small parts. I've got a pretty good collection so far. Ah, stainless screws...my other love in life.

sirgonzo420
15th March 2011, 07:21 PM
I am in the process of making a library, I want it to be comprehensive. Not a survival tool per se, but knowing is half the battle! YAY! Plus I'll have something to do when I'm sitting around while the horsemen run around outside.

I've been doing the same thing. I've been buying up lots of books from used book stores.

I seem to have a preference for old books.

Buddha
15th March 2011, 07:26 PM

I've been doing the same thing. I've been buying up lots of books from used book stores.

There are a couple a really good used book stores around here. I see no point in buying a brand new book unless I can't find it in one of those shops.

sirgonzo420
15th March 2011, 07:30 PM

There are a couple a really good used book stores around here. I see no point in buying a brand new book unless I can't find it in one of those shops.

Exactly. I'll buy the hell outta some used books. If it's a law book or something, there might be some highlighting, but generally, they are flawless, considering the price difference new vs used.

mrnhtbr2232
15th March 2011, 07:40 PM
At one time I got started on a spreadsheet going back in GSUS/GIM1 message archives and assembling together profiles of all of us. The project was basically casual data mining but modeled on the potential for developing known traits and experiences within our membership. Over time I lost interest, but this thread reminded me of it again since it would be an excellent data point itself. I'm just as guilty as the rest of you posting the sum of our parts, and I often wonder why I reveal what I do in the course of online discussion. We are providing metrics to anyone that takes the trouble to aggregate and analyze them - some of you I know pretty well and I've never even met you.

solid
15th March 2011, 08:01 PM
At one time I got started on a spreadsheet going back in GSUS/GIM1 message archives and assembling together profiles of all of us. The project was basically casual data mining but modeled on the potential for developing known traits and experiences within our membership. Over time I lost interest, but this thread reminded me of it again since it would be an excellent data point itself. I'm just as guilty as the rest of you posting the sum of our parts, and I often wonder why I reveal what I do in the course of online discussion.

Interesting observation. I figure, no point in worrying about it. I'm sure there's data mining going on, but honestly, if I can't look a man in the eye, he's really of no concern. I guess I think of myself as not a target for the miners, most of us are not targets, nothing to hide actually. Anyone on here that can meet us in person, and shake our hands like men...those are real folks.

Let the 'Books' do their internet work, hoard information on us. It doesn't matter. I'll still eat my bacon and eggs every morning. If you want to join me, that would be great too. ;)

sunshine05
15th March 2011, 08:28 PM
I guess I would say ammo, batteries and paper products has had the most focus.

I need to work on obtaining more seeds, start canning (I have all the stuff, just never started using it), clothes for the kids for the future and maybe sewing supplies.

Gaillo
15th March 2011, 10:22 PM
Knives. Books. Flashlights. Tools. Weapons. Clothes. Food. Generators are my next "fetish"... don't have enough of those yet! ;D

Probably the thing I enjoy the MOST about prepping, though, is optics - I just can't seem to buy enough binoculars, monoculars, sunglasses, spotting scopes, telescope eyepieces, magnifying glasses, digital cameras and camcorders, reading glasses, microscopes, etc. It's probably my life's greatest obsession! 8)

mightymanx
15th March 2011, 10:30 PM
Knives. Books. Flashlights. Tools. Weapons. Clothes. Food. Generators are my next "fetish"... don't have enough of those yet! ;D

Probably the thing I enjoy the MOST about prepping, though, is optics - I just can't seem to buy enough binoculars, monoculars, sunglasses, spotting scopes, telescope eyepieces, magnifying glasses, digital cameras and camcorders, reading glasses, microscopes, etc. It's probably my life's greatest obsession! 8)

UMMM......I am now glad to be just stuck on just hookers and blow.

milehi
15th March 2011, 10:49 PM
In a Ceasar Milan accent, "I am the pack leader".

TheNocturnalEgyptian
15th March 2011, 11:20 PM
Meditative aids, gums, resins, rare spices.

I've stated before that it is my philosophy that I should taste a wide array of exotic items now, for paper or digi-currency, and I can remember them in fondness in the years to come. Worst case scenario is I spent some FRNs on something I enjoyed. Best case scenario is I am the only guy with galbanum.

Hillbilly
16th March 2011, 12:44 AM
I hear that. I just picked up an old pocket telescope at a thrift store for 5 bucks. big 5 has some pretty good deals on binoculars all the time too.

Awoke
16th March 2011, 04:26 AM
I don't focus on any single thing as far as preps go.

I have lots of ammo and firearms,food, portable stove (That is a beauty you posted in the OP, Chad. Good buy), water, tools, knives, shelter material, etc.

But you know, if TSHTF, there is no way I could pack it all up and leave with it.
So my focus right now is a series of BOBs for the family.

Twisted Titan
16th March 2011, 04:50 AM
Ammo....... The day will come when it trades as a currency among the locals

freespirit
16th March 2011, 06:24 AM
for me, it's emergency medical supplies...

i have a friend who is a nurse, and she comes by from time to time with a box or 2 of stuff

suture kits, saline solution, specialty bandages (some infused with silver, :) lol), splint kits, disinfectant wipes, scalpels, syringes, tensor bandages, etc.

soon she'll be able to get me some extra cellular matrix, and some potassium permanganate.

as for gauze....shit, i probably have more rolls of gauze than ponce has TP!!
lmao

my EMK can cover anything short of a major surgery...lol...

chad
16th March 2011, 06:26 AM

i have a friend who is a nurse, and she comes by from time to time with a box or 2 of stuff

suture kits, saline solution, specialty bandages (some infused with silver, :) lol), splint kits, disinfectant wipes, scalpels, syringes, tensor bandages, etc.

soon she'll be able to get me some extra cellular matrix, and some potassium permanganate.

lmao

been buying a lot of that lately myself. the dollar store is great for it. they have generic brand neosporin, gauze, etc for CHEAP. last week they had the neosporin 2/$1.00. i got about 20 tubes of it for $10!

sirgonzo420
16th March 2011, 06:39 AM

lmao

been buying a lot of that lately myself. the dollar store is great for it. they have generic brand neosporin, gauze, etc for CHEAP. last week they had the neosporin 2/$1.00. i got about 20 tubes of it for $10!

I definitely need to spend more time and $ at the dollar store.

freespirit
16th March 2011, 06:46 AM
the dollar store trips are like a treasure hunt...lol...you'd be surprised what you can find.

what about eyewear? do you have a spare set of glasses or contact & solution in your BOB?

i have an eye exam today...will be buying a second pair for sure, and definitely polarized prescription shades too! (they'll help me see the fish better! lol)

Awoke
16th March 2011, 06:50 AM
I need suture kits.
That's the only thing I don't have for med supplies.

sirgonzo420
16th March 2011, 07:00 AM
I need suture kits.

Would a needle and thread work?

Awoke
16th March 2011, 07:06 AM
Oh I have suture kits that I have made up myself. Fishing line and needles, alchohol swabs, etc.

I'm just saying I don't have any official "Sterile" suture kits from a hospital.

freespirit
16th March 2011, 07:07 AM
I need suture kits.

in a dire emergency, yes a needle and thread would work, but you wouldn't want to leave it in for long, as it is more likely to get infected, and the new tissue will begin to heal around the thread, trapping it. whereas a suture will be more easily removed when healed

freespirit
16th March 2011, 07:10 AM
Oh I have suture kits that I have made up myself. Fishing line and needles, alchohol swabs, etc.

I'm just saying I don't have any official "Sterile" suture kits from a hospital.

why don't you contact our nurse friend...i'm sure she'd be happy to hook you up.

gunDriller
16th March 2011, 07:58 AM
I need suture kits.

in a dire emergency, yes a needle and thread would work, but you wouldn't want to leave it in for long, as it is more likely to get infected, and the new tissue will begin to heal around the thread, trapping it. whereas a suture will be more easily removed when healed

i would like to obtain syringes of local anaesthetic and/or Fentanyl, to anaesthetize the body part that needs to be sutured.

hard to sew when the person that needs medical care is twitching & jerking from the pain.

Awoke
16th March 2011, 09:20 AM
I did ask our nurse for some suture kits, but she hasn't come through yet.

We don't see each other that often.

Kruger
16th March 2011, 09:26 AM
Emergency medical supplies, big ass knives, and WAY too many flashlights.

chad
16th March 2011, 09:29 AM
lighting is a problem. somebody had a thread on GIM once where people were making natural lights out of 2 liter pop bottles with water + bleach in them. wish i could find it...

sirgonzo420
16th March 2011, 09:32 AM
lighting is a problem. somebody had a thread on GIM once where people were making natural lights out of 2 liter pop bottles with water + bleach in them. wish i could find it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMAWztZ6TI

chad
16th March 2011, 10:16 AM

awesome, this is it!

sirgonzo420
16th March 2011, 10:23 AM
awesome, this is it!

I figured it was it. Thanks for mentioning it though.... it's a pretty cool idea and I had kinda forgot about it.

milehi
16th March 2011, 10:42 AM
For sutures, skin staplers, ect, try a vet supply. Less exspensive...and no questions asked.

freespirit
16th March 2011, 10:48 AM
I did ask our nurse for some suture kits, but she hasn't come through yet.

We don't see each other that often.

she usually pops by once every week or so...should be seeing her any day now, i'll remind her for you.

madfranks
16th March 2011, 11:44 AM

I wouldn't recommend making lights like that. You have to be sure to properly flash and waterproof the hole in the roof, and by doing that you've just made that hanging soda bottle a permanent fixture. I can't imagine one of those lasting for too long before failing one way or another. Back in the 19th century they'd use crystal fixtures to allow the daylight to penetrate the building envelope. I don't know if anyone makes them anymore, but there's a product called Solatube which is basically the same concept: http://www.solatube.com/residential/index.php

Awoke
16th March 2011, 12:30 PM
Man, looking at that little stove again, I am thinking I should get one. I really like it.

chad
16th March 2011, 01:12 PM
Man, looking at that little stove again, I am thinking I should get one. I really like it.

the one i originally posted? my 8 year old daughter and i are going to set it up outside this spring and make stew on it. i saw the same one at an army navy surplus store here for $120. ;D

Spectrism
16th March 2011, 02:49 PM
I have a couple hundred pounds of cast iron pans and cook pots. Must be 50 or 60 of them. When going to garage sales, I use them as stallers. Here's what I mean. I ask if they have any old coins or silver they would like to cash in. Usually they say no but have a strained look as if they are thinking. I want to take the pressure off so I then ask if they have any cast iron cookware... maybe a campfire pot. This also gives me dwell (stall) time, to let their minds remember that old coin collection that was too boriong to even think about... or the silverware that is someplace in the attic. Sometimes they come back and work at getting me silver. If I get a cast iron pan for a buck or two, it is a good deal. Got a few Wagner and Griswolds cheap.

Also pick up nails & tools cheap. In estate sales, you can find odds & ends boxes loaded with nuts, bolts, electrical components, oil, -just about anything you can think of.

Antonio
16th March 2011, 03:13 PM
I need suture kits.

i would like to obtain syringes of local anaesthetic and/or Fentanyl, to anaesthetize the body part that needs to be sutured.

hard to sew when the person that needs medical care is twitching & jerking from the pain.

I`ve envisioned the time when my dopey ass will be asked to operate on somebody and I`ll have to inject heroin as a general anaesthetic and cocaine as local. I think I could perform minor surgery such as removing bullets from limbs but when dealing with head/torso wounds, call Mamboni...

freespirit
16th March 2011, 05:34 PM

well......you could try applying some oragel, novocaine, or even clove oil to the area around the injury to numb it prior to stitching the wound up...

i tried to find more info on clove oil, but no luck as of yet. recommend caution when using it.

nevertheless, some sort of topical numbing agent like the ones i mentioned would probably help the patient keep still to receive stitches.

hell, even in a real pinch, you could probably chew up some willow bark and apply to the area as a poultice....the indians chewed it for toothaches.

JDRock
17th March 2011, 09:01 AM
..precious metals, especially the one that can be used to "procure" everything else... LEAD. ;D

Neuro
17th March 2011, 12:16 PM
I don't have anyone in particular, apart from the obvious ones (PM's). I have been thinking though on loading up on old gramophone records, kerosene/oil lamp glasses, old hand tools and gardening equipment, and second hand books...

bellevuebully
17th March 2011, 12:31 PM
In a Ceasar Milan accent, "I am the pack leader".

milehi.....your R/b is looking awesome. He was a rescue wasn't he?

po boy
17th March 2011, 12:31 PM
I don't have anyone in particular, apart from the obvious ones (PM's). I have been thinking though on loading up on old gramophone records, kerosene/oil lamp glasses, old hand tools and gardening equipment, and second hand books...

Picked up the older style coleman 2 mantle lanterns and 2 of the cook stoves one of which was a dual fuel model all for for less than 50frn. I like these as parts are easy to find.

Hand tools are a must imho and are cheap.

gunDriller
17th March 2011, 01:40 PM

well......you could try applying some oragel, novocaine, or even clove oil to the area around the injury to numb it prior to stitching the wound up...

i tried to find more info on clove oil, but no luck as of yet. recommend caution when using it.

nevertheless, some sort of topical numbing agent like the ones i mentioned would probably help the patient keep still to receive stitches.

hell, even in a real pinch, you could probably chew up some willow bark and apply to the area as a poultice....the indians chewed it for toothaches.

whiskey & duct tape ?

i had a chance to experiment with frontier medicine back in 2006. i was cleaning out one of my closets and had some stainless steel mirrors in the hallway. about 2 feet by 4 feet.

it was a long day and i was tired. i took a bath and stubbed my left foot on the reflectors. it went in between the pinkie toe and the toe next to it. i later measured it, the cut was about 5/8" deep.

blood all over the place, my living room looked like the Shining.

i used clean rags (old cotton shirts, you know yuppie shirts with collars) and duct taped.

once i got an initial bandage on it, i did not want to take another look at it.

i checked out the stainless steel sheet i cut it on, it was clean.

the next day i took some Penicillin, thank God i had it, bought it in Mexico.

the next next day i went to the doctor. she charged me $120 to tell me that -
A. it was not infected, and
B. that i did a good job bandaging it.

i felt like saying, "fuck you, i could have gotten that opinion from a homeless guy at the bus stop for one dollar".

the doctor refused to re-bandage it.

frontier medicine works.

if it didn't, we wouldn't be here.

remember that scene in Master & Commander when they sawed the guy's leg off ?

drafter
17th March 2011, 02:44 PM

i felt like saying, "fuck you, i could have gotten that opinion from a homeless guy at the bus stop for one dollar".

frontier medicine works.

When I was 15 I broke all the long bones in my foot. Literally folded it in half like a taco. I actually popped them all back into place by myself. Didn't go to the doctors until the next day, and then only because my mother dragged me there, due to my not being able to walk on it. They did xrays and just told me what I already knew, that I broke all the bones in my foot. The doctor asked me what I had done, and I described how I just "popped" it back into place. He told me I did one of the better bone "settings?" that he'd ever seen and that they didn't need to mess with resetting it. He was pretty amazed that I could do it under the pain I must have been in. I told him it felt a lot better fixing it than leaving it folded in half! Not sure I'd want to go thru that again, but I'm not the kind of guy that likes to go to the doctor unless I'm missing a limb or something.

gunDriller
17th March 2011, 04:16 PM
pics ?

i have pics. buried somewhere on my computer.

bellevuebully
18th March 2011, 10:03 AM
Tha light setup is awesome. Gotta try that in the woodshed.

chad
18th March 2011, 10:14 AM
starting this thread and reading the responses motivated me to sort stuff in to bins the last 2 days. i have way more toiletries than i thought, and way less medical than what i thought. i also found my go berkely which i knew had somewhere but was **misplaced** and i found a red cross wind up radio i had forgotten about. actually took a good look at the food situation. i probably have 9 months for the 4 of us, need to get working on another 3 months supply.

Neuro
18th March 2011, 11:56 AM

frontier medicine works.

When I was 15 I broke all the long bones in my foot. Literally folded it in half like a taco. I actually popped them all back into place by myself. Didn't go to the doctors until the next day, and then only because my mother dragged me there, due to my not being able to walk on it. They did xrays and just told me what I already knew, that I broke all the bones in my foot. The doctor asked me what I had done, and I described how I just "popped" it back into place. He told me I did one of the better bone "settings?" that he'd ever seen and that they didn't need to mess with resetting it. He was pretty amazed that I could do it under the pain I must have been in. I told him it felt a lot better fixing it than leaving it folded in half! Not sure I'd want to go thru that again, but I'm not the kind of guy that likes to go to the doctor unless I'm missing a limb or something.
Great attitude! I guess it is possible to do it, if you do it quickly, while the body is still in shock, and the pain hasnt had arrived yet... Did they plaster your foot? Or did you just avoid putting pressure on it for 6 weeks?

drafter
18th March 2011, 12:08 PM
Great attitude! I guess it is possible to do it, if you do it quickly, while the body is still in shock, and the pain hasnt had arrived yet... Did they plaster your foot? Or did you just avoid putting pressure on it for 6 weeks?

I though it was crazy but they didn't plaster it. Just wrapped it up and told me to keep off it. I was on crutches for quite a while. Kind of irritated me because I did bump it a couple times while healing and it hurt like hell. Healed up fine thoough and I've never had any problems with it since.

Neuro
18th March 2011, 12:25 PM

I though it was crazy but they didn't plaster it. Just wrapped it up and told me to keep off it. I was on crutches for quite a while. Kind of irritated me because I did bump it a couple times while healing and it hurt like hell. Healed up fine thoough and I've never had any problems with it since.
As long as it is in the right position and you don't put any force on it to pull it out of position a cast is not necessary. I think your story has great 'survivalist' value, it shows that you can manage these things yourself, when medical care is not available, or if you wish, you do need a certain mindset to do it though...

As a side note I liked the attitude of the dr that you went to, he commended you for your excellent bone setting, and he didn't put you in a cast. You should keep that Drs name and number, to consult, whenever you have any trouble that concerns you! He/she is someone who is not afraid to think out of the box!

drafter
18th March 2011, 12:36 PM
Sorry for the drift guys :) On topic, I do have a crazy collection of Lanterns and Oil lamps. I also just bought a few more boxes of survival candles from the dollar store and a few more jugs of lamp oil from wally world. I don't want to be stuck in the dark should my battery operated light options die on me. I used to use my lanterns quite a bit years ago. Sitting outside and relaxing I always enjoyed the warm light they'd put off.

JDRock
20th March 2011, 07:52 AM
tag..

k-os
31st March 2011, 03:37 PM
Chapstick and all forms of lip balms. I must have a hundred, and it's probably not enough. I can barely go an hour without some. If I am wearing jeans or shorts, there's lip balm in my pocket. I tied one to my coffee table at home because I want it to to be there all the time . . . not in my pocket.

I just realized I am a total pansy.

freespirit
31st March 2011, 03:45 PM
Chapstick and all forms of lip balms. I must have a hundred, and it's probably not enough. I can barely go an hour without some. If I am wearing jeans or shorts, there's lip balm in my pocket. I tied one to my coffee table at home because I want it to to be there all the time . . . not in my pocket.

hmmm....people have had interventions for that sort of behaviour!!
;D

Antonio
31st March 2011, 03:49 PM
http://thesurvivalmom.com/2009/09/15/you-might-be-a-survivalist-if/

You have a cookbook all about Spam.

You consider your extra large ham radio antenna as “broadband”.

You know how to cook leather.

You’ve ever been on a Soviet “Potential Threat” list.

SWAT has ever asked to borrow a few of your guns.

Your new girlfriend comes over for the first time, and when she walks into the living room, the first thing she sees is your CHL regulation Man sized target with 50 holes in the chest area.

Your dog has more Emergency Rations than 95% of the U.S. population.

You’re the first person at the gun range on Dec 26th to try out your new toys, and the clerk knows you by your first name

The local supermarket manager knows to go ahead and open up the back dock doors when he sees you on a shopping trip.

Your home and property are more secure and better lit than Fort Knox or Area 51.

All the local restaurants know to save you all their 5-gallon buckets on Mondays and Thursdays.

None of your vehicles have electronic ignition or pollution control.

You know the tail numbers of all the helicopters in your area.

The magazines on your coffee table include American Survival Guide, Guns and Ammo, Soldier of Fortune, American Rifleman, Shotgun News and 4 -Wheeler.

You welcome a “mild” El Nino storm because you know its going to fill your cistern.

The power fails in your local movie theater, and you pull your flashlight from your belt and show yourself the way out.

You use your Gerber Tool to cut your steak at a fine dining establishment.

Your knife collection has its own footlocker.

When people ask about all those colorful maps on your walls, you tell them that you are planning a “Fishing Expedition”.

You can recognize the sound of a generator from four blocks away, but you also can tell the brand, horsepower and kilowatts per hour that it is putting out.

You have to kill a snake in your front yard, but then you skin and eat it.

You stock up on kerosene and firewood in 102 degree summer heat.

Your homeschooled children score in the 99 percentile on their SAT’s.

Your To Do list includes changing the batteries on the seismic ground sensors surrounding your home.

Your shopping list includes numbered items like .22, .308., .357 and 7.62

Your shopping list includes body armor.

Your scanner includes the frequencies of every law enforcement agency within 100 miles, including the ones that don’t officially exist.

Those maps on your wall have every bridge marked in red, with an alternate path marked around it.

Your paper boy throws the paper into the barbed wire just for the heck of it.

You have a key fob that says, “What Would John Wayne Do?”

Your fence posts double as range markers.

The window shutters have firing ports included in their design.

You have “ammo” on your Christmas list.

You’re on a first name basis with every vendor at a gun show.

You can’t put your groceries in the trunk of the car because its already jammed full with emergency kits, first aid supplies, and fully-stocked BOBs.

You have emergency rations for your pets, and view your pets as potential emergency rations.

You know the news three days before it hits the mass media.

You have back-up plans for your back-up plans.

You’re convinced you’ve been exposed to so many chemical-trails, you consider it a form of birth control.

You’ve ever bought antibiotics for human use through a vet or grains for human consumption through a feed store.

You’ve got more than one grain mill.

You’ve ever wondered how you might filter the used water from your washing machine to make it fit for human consumption.

You have a kerosene lamp in every room.

Your living room coffee table is actually a board with pretty cloth over it to disguise your food storage underneath.

Your box springs are Rubber Maid containers filled with rice and beans.

You save dryer lint to make fire starters.

Your most commonly used fuel additive is Stabil, instead of Gum-out.

You automatically choose the heavy duty flatbed cart upon entering Sam’s or Costco.

You know the shelf life of tuna fish, but don’t know how long you’ve had that open jar of mayo in the fridge.

Your basement walls are insulated with crates of toilet paper, from floor to ceiling, all the way around.

Other people are saving money for new furniture or vacations, but you are desperately saving to get solar panels put on your house.

You were excited beyond all reason when they came out with cheddar cheese in a can.

You’ve ever served MREs at a dinner party.

You can engage in a spirited debate on chemical vs. sawdust toilets for hours on end.

You’ve ever considered digging an escape tunnel from your basement to the nearest stand of trees.

You know how to use a vacuum cleaner in reverse to filter air in your designated bio-chem attack safe room.

You’ve ever considered buying an above-ground pool for water storage purposes.

You know what things like ‘TSHTF’, ‘BOB’, ‘GOOD’, and ‘TEOTWAWKI’ mean and routinely use them in conversations.

You have different grades of BOB’s. And re-stock them twice a year.

You know the names, family histories, locations, and degree of readiness of over a thousand fellow doomers on the internet, but you’ve never met your neighbors.

The best radio in the house is a wind-up.

You have better items in storage than you use everyday.

If the SHTF, you would eat better than you eat now.

Your significant other gave you a sleeping bag rated at -15 degrees for Christmas, and you were moved beyond words.

You’ve sewn secret mini-BOBs into the bottom of your children’s school backpacks.

Local food pantries have come to depend on donations from your larder when you rotate stock in the spring and fall.

You’re still using up your Y2K supplies.

You have enough army surplus equipment to open a store.

The local army surplus store owner knows you by your first name.

When you fill up when your gas tank, it’s already 3/4 full.

You call Rubber Maid for wholesale prices.

You have several cases of baby wipes and your kids are all grown.

You carry a pocket survival kit, a sturdy folding knife, a SureFire flashlight and a small concealed handgun to church every Sunday.

You start panicking when you are down to 50 rolls of toilet paper.

You keep a small notebook to write down any edible plants you happen to see along the road.

You shop yard sales, store sales, and markdown racks for bartering goods .

You own a hand-operated clothes washer and a non-electric carpet sweeper.

You have at least two of every size of Dutch oven (the ones with the legs on the bottom), and 20 bags of charcoal, although you have a gas grill.

You have rain barrels at each corner of your house although you have a city water hookup, and a Big Berkey to purify the water.

You have sapphire lights, survival whistle, and a Swiss Army knife on every family member’s keychain.

The people in line at Costco ask if you run a store or restaurant.

You require a shovel to rotate all your preps properly.

You no longer go to the doctor’s because you can either fix it yourself, make it at home, or know and understand the physicians desk reference better than he does, and can get the goods at the vets or pet store for MUCH less money anyway.

You know that GPS has nothing to do with the economy.

You track your preps on a computer spreadsheet for easy reordering, but have hard copies in a 3-ring binder, ‘just in case’.

You’ve thought about where the hordes can be stopped before entering town.

You start evaluating people according to ‘skill sets’.

You view the nearest conservation area as a potential grocery store if TSHTF.

You know *all* the ways out the building where you work.

You have enough pasta stockpiled in your basement to carbo-load all the runners in the New York marathon.

You know that you have 36 gallons of extra drinking water in the hot water tank and your 2 toilet tanks.

You know which bugs are edible.

You have a hand pump on your well.

You have #10 cans of ‘stuff’ that the labels fell off of, but you won’t throw it out or open it because it, ‘may be needed later’, even though you haven’t a clue as to the contents.

You know where the best defensive positions and lines of fire are on your property.

You’ve made a range card for your neighborhood.

Your toenail clipper is a K-BAR.

The Ranger Handbook is your favorite self-help book.

You’ve numbered the deer romping in the yard by their order of consumption.

You must move 50 cases of food for the plumber to get to that leaky pipe, and you have your own hand truck in the basement to do it.

You own more pairs of hiking boots than casual and dress shoes combined.

You have more 55 gallon blue water drums than family members.

You have a backup generator for your backup generator, which is a backup for your solar energy system.

You go to McDonalds and ask for one order of fries with 25 packs of ketchup and mustard.

You have ever given SPAM as a serious gift.

You’ve had your eye out for a good deal for a stainless steel handgun to conceal in the bottom of the magazine rack next to the toilet.

You are single male over 40, but you still have an emergency childbirth kit, just in case you have to deal with that possibility.

You have two water heaters installed in your basement, but one is a dummy that’s been converted to a hideaway safe.

You’ve made bug-out cargo packs for your dogs.

You have a walking stick with all sorts of gadgets hidden inside.

You’re a substitute scoutmaster, and you taught your son’s troop to set mantraps and punji pits, and haven’t been asked to stand in since.

You’re on your fifth vacuum sealer, but you keep at least one of the worn out ones because you can still seal up plastic bags with it.

You haven’t bought dried fruit in years, but you buy fresh bananas, apples, peaches and pears by the case and have three dehydrators.

Your UPS man hates you because of all the cases of ammo he’s had to lug from his truck to your front door.

You have duplicates of all your electronics gear, solar panels and generator parts in your EMP-shielded fallout shelter.

You have set aside space for your live chickens in the fallout shelter.

When the power goes out in your neighborhood, all the neighbor’s kids come over to your place to watch TV on generator power.

You must open the door to your pantry very carefully for fear of a canned goods avalanche.

You have a ‘Volcano’, you know you can cook anything, and you cast evil glances at your neighbor’s annoying, yappy poodle, muttering, “Your day will come, hotdog”.

You’ve learned to make twine from plant fibers to be used for snares because you fear that all of your preps and hard work will be confiscated by FEMA troops or destroyed by earthquakes, tsunamis, nuclear blasts, ravening hordes of feral sheeple or reptiloids from ‘Planet X’

The Police Chief calls you to find out what guns to buy for their officers.

mick silver
31st March 2011, 03:50 PM
to live to see one more day

oldmansmith
31st March 2011, 03:53 PM

K-os, ditch the chapstick, it is just like cigarettes. I used it for a while and found that my lips were chapped whenever I ran out. I'm over 10 years chapstick free and guess what? My lips are NEVER chapped. It is a full-on scam.

Go a month without it and you will be free forever.

sirgonzo420
31st March 2011, 03:58 PM

K-os, ditch the chapstick, it is just like cigarettes. I used it for a while and found that my lips were chapped whenever I ran out. I'm over 10 years chapstick free and guess what? My lips are NEVER chapped. It is a full-on scam.

This reminds me of someone I know who uses one of those nasal spray things all the time. He's been addicted for YEARS.

His body is so used to the shit he feels like he can't breathe right without it.

k-os
31st March 2011, 04:19 PM

You know what . . . I will give that a try. I used to have very weak, brittle, peeling fingernails, so I bought all of that polish and crap that claimed to help. One day I decided to see what they would be like without the chemicals. You guessed it - normal, strong, healthy nails for a few years now. I am convinced that all of the hair and nail products are crap, and I never even thought that chapstick might be. :-\

I do have some that are just beeswax. Can I keep those? ;D I guess it's not called an addiction if it's easy to quit.

nunaem
31st March 2011, 04:26 PM

Same with shampoo. When you use shampoo your scalp tends to overcompensate for the loss of oils by making your hair really oily. If you stop using shampoo for a long time(but still washing it with water) the oil in your hair reaches an equilibrium, not too oily, not too dry.

hoarder
31st March 2011, 04:44 PM
Chapstick and all forms of lip balms.
If you're low in iron your lips will chap, so I have heard. Also, if you live in a humid area and travel to a low humidity area, you will get chapped lips for a while until you get acclimated. Traveling as you do, you might be constantly getting acclimated.

oldmansmith
31st March 2011, 04:55 PM
I do have some that are just beeswax. Can I keep those? ;D I guess it's not called an addiction if it's easy to quit.

As I always tell Mrs. Old: "You can do whatever the hell you want!"

I will never use any type of lip product again unless I am traveling on a glacier.

ximmy
31st March 2011, 05:24 PM
I also used to need chapstick... but years ago thought, "What would happen if we didn't have these things?" So I weened off it... and all makeup.. all I need is my dove soap and miracell oil... ;D

sirgonzo420
31st March 2011, 06:36 PM
I own roughly 50 flashlights and they aren't Chinese cheapies.

I'm not bragging (it's actually embarrassing) when I state the fact that my collection is worth about 7 to 8 grand. :o

Is that considered a fetish, hobby, or a sickness? At least they are tangible assets. I am always selling some and my buying has slowed down a bit. An addiction is a terrible thing to waste.

I also have enough New Balance athletic shoes to last me the next 30 years.

$7,000 or $8,000?

DAYUM!

Might as well start calling you Lucifer!

k-os
31st March 2011, 07:04 PM

I'm not bragging (it's actually embarrassing) when I state the fact that my collection is worth about 7 to 8 grand. :o

Is that considered a fetish, hobby, or a sickness? At least they are tangible assets. I am always selling some and my buying has slowed down a bit. An addiction is a terrible thing to waste.

Wow! I cannot imagine flashlights costing that much! What else do they do? Or what are they made of?

My two favorite flashlights are the big ol' night stick looking one that I use almost daily, and the one I have to shake to generate light. They total about $30.

hoarder
31st March 2011, 07:39 PM

I'm not bragging (it's actually embarrassing) when I state the fact that my collection is worth about 7 to 8 grand.
Why not start a thread about them and make recommendations.

Bullion_Bob
31st March 2011, 08:08 PM

$7,000 or $8,000?

DAYUM!

Might as well start calling you Lucifer!

Having a flashlight fetish with this site could easily net you in the multi thousand range
http://www.surefire.com/Flashlights

I read somewhere this flashlight is $3,000
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?185511-All-SOLD-Surefire-Monster-LED-head

http://ahgni.cafe24.com/img/MS-6.jpg

An aside link I noticed this on their site...
http://www.surefire.com/MAG5-100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1f6MaUaF30&feature=player_embedded#at=18

edit:

better yet... the surefire beast II $7,200:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-World-039-s-Most-Powerful-LED-and-HID-Flashlight-Surefire-039-s-Beast-II-2000-Lumens-62030.shtml

pics: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?211335-Surefire-Beast-II-.-.-.-An-Intimate-PICtorial-%28dial-up-heavy%29

Antonio
31st March 2011, 08:44 PM
Here is a good survivalist test question: do you know what Malkoff LED upgrades are?

mick silver
2nd April 2011, 10:50 AM
i just order this one ..............http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-6V-Three-Cree-LED-Flashlight/product/10205235/-1598254

gunDriller
2nd April 2011, 12:24 PM
it's definitely not a fetish because i haven't done it yet.

but it is the last, semi-forbidden part of composting.

where you use human manure, AKA #2.

i would like to experiment doing 3 kinds of composting -
* hot composting. got to get it up to 160 F so that it kills bacteria. definitely want to have my hot compost process wired before i try this. the best i've been able to do outside the classroom situation is 130 F - not hot enough to kill weed seeds or poop bacteria.
* vermiculture. the normal mix of worm food for worm composting is ... fruit & veg. scraps, leaves, and sand. just got to mix in some #2. could be a smell factor, might want to wear gloves when i'm stirring the bin.
* maggot composting. this is basically similar to worm composting, although the maggots don't crawl as deep as redworms do. sounds disgusting, but this is the way Mother Nature does it - and has done it for millions of years.

of course, the net result of any of these 3 processes is high-quality plant food. however, you can't put it on your own garden - not unless your friends & family are willing to eat the resulting veggies.

so, if i do do the Humanure composting - the Holy Grail of Composting, right next to Bio-dynamic - the resulting compost will have to go on the trees - that nobody eats.

i heard an interesting factoid from a programmer friend.

he says that worm castings go for $1500 a cubic yard in his town. that's near $25 a cubic foot. that's a lot of money for what is basically dirt.

once you take a class in soil science, dirt is never the same. almost every speck that is not a piece of sand is a piece of manure from some creature, or the dead bodies of the bacteria that helped to the composting. with some fungus thrown in.

that distinctive smell when you smell fresh clean dirt ? that's the smell of dead bacteria and several varieties of manure.

Awoke
2nd April 2011, 03:10 PM
Those Surefire mags are totally kick-ass!

Ponce
12th June 2011, 06:03 PM
Well Chad, mine is my tv cameras......... I have 20 of them with nine monitors, at this time ten of them are running on six monitors.

Canadian-guerilla
13th June 2011, 06:51 AM
i guess my fetish is getting any and all info concerning survival/wild edibles off the net
but my real fetish is editing it down to something i can print out to a hardcopy
just in case THE POWER GRID goes down
been going thru a lot of " african-american " ink cartridges lately ( < for the PC crowd )

gunDriller
13th June 2011, 09:25 AM
i guess my fetish is getting any and all info concerning survival/wild edibles off the net
but my real fetish is editing it down to something i can print out to a hardcopy
just in case THE POWER GRID goes down
been going thru a lot of " african-american " ink cartridges lately ( < for the PC crowd )

to save money on ink, one option is to convert images to gray-scale.

also, it helps to use vendors like
http://swiftink.com/
http://carrotink.com/

also, following the advice of one of the UberNerds at Anandtech - he hasn't bought a refill for years. He buys the ink by the quart and saves $100's.

can't find the link right now - i'll post it later.