PDA

View Full Version : PepsiCo Unveils 100 Percent Plant-Based Bottle

Low Pan
17th March 2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.clickondetroit.com/money/27198331/detail.html#

Wonder if this has anything to do w/ a supposed "Carbon Tax".

It is not biodegradable or compostable but it is recyclable.

"This is the beginning of the end of petroleum-based plastics," said Allen Hershkowitz, a senior scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council and director of its waste management project. "When you have a company of this size making a commitment to a plant-based plastic, the market is going to respond."

This would certainly make a sizeable dent to our oil dependency if all currently used plactic containers were converted.

PepsiCo Inc. unveiled a new bottle Tuesday made entirely of plant material that it says bests the technology of competitor Coca-Cola and reduces bottles' carbon footprint.

The bottle is made from switch grass, pine bark, corn husks and other materials. Ultimately, Pepsi plans to also use orange peels, oat hulls, potato scraps and other leftovers from its food business.

The new bottle looks, feels and protects the drink inside exactly the same as its current bottles, said Rocco Papalia, senior vice president of advanced research at PepsiCo.

"It's a beautiful thing to behold," he said. "It's indistinguishable."

PepsiCo says it is the world's first bottle of a common type of plastic called PET made entirely of plant materials. Coca-Cola Co. currently produces a bottle using 30 percent plant-based materials and recently estimated it would be several years before it has a 100 percent plant bottle that's commercially viable.

"We've cracked the code," Papalia said.

PepsiCo announced the discovery Tuesday and said it plans to test the product in 2012 in a few hundred thousand bottles. Once the company is sure it can successfully produce the bottle at that scale, it will begin converting all its products over.

That could mean a switch of billions of bottles sold each year. Of Pepsi's 19 biggest brands, those that generate more than $1 billion in revenue, 11 are beverage brands that use PET.

Scientists said the technology is important innovation in packaging.

"This is the beginning of the end of petroleum-based plastics," said Allen Hershkowitz, a senior scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council and director of its waste management project. "When you have a company of this size making a commitment to a plant-based plastic, the market is going to respond."

Coca-Cola said it welcomed other advances in packaging, but noted that it has scaled up use of its own plant-based bottle since introducing it in 2009. It also says it has demonstrated a 100 percent plant bottle in the lab and is still working to ensure it is commercially viable.

There are other plant-based plastics available or in development, but Herskowitz said these are not environmentally preferred because they typically use plants grown solely for that purpose rather than using the estimated 2 billion tons of agricultural waste produced each year. And these alternative plastics cannot be recycled.

PET plastic is a go-to material for packaging because it's lightweight and shatter-resistant, its safety is well-researched and it doesn't affect flavors. It is not biodegradable or compostable but it is recyclable.

A completely plant-based PET could change the industry standard for plastic packaging. PET is used in beverage bottles, food pouches, coatings and other common products.

Traditional PET plastic is made using fossil fuels, including petroleum, a limited resource that's rising in price. By using plant material instead, companies reduce their environmental impact.

Pepsi, based in Purchase, N.Y., said it has had dozens of people working on the process for years. While PepsiCo wouldn't specify the cost to research and design the new bottle, Papalia said it is in the millions of dollars.

Ares
17th March 2011, 09:25 AM
Couldn't Hemp be used in PET plastics?

Low Pan
17th March 2011, 09:30 AM
It sounds as though Pepsi is using what it already has instead of procurring additional resources. Someone new or small compared to the market, or even say a niche for the Colorado Med shops and their Orang Kush soda drinks, could certainly use Hemp to make these plastics. Wonder if they have BHP in them though?

iOWNme
17th March 2011, 09:35 AM
Yes the oil from Hemp seeds can be used to make every kind of plastic, petroleum, teflon (PTFE), poly, etc

This is 100 year old technology, and thanks to DuPont and others, has never seen the light of day.

Talk about 100% biodegradable, recyclable, renewable and environmentally safe - HEMP.

DMac
17th March 2011, 09:49 AM
Yes the oil from Hemp seeds can be used to make every kind of plastic, petroleum, teflon (PTFE), poly, etc

This is 100 year old technology, and thanks to DuPont and others, has never seen the light of day.

Talk about 100% biodegradable, recyclable, renewable and environmentally safe - HEMP.

But energy independence is a bad thing Sui Juris. Just ask Iran :sarc:

jimswift
17th March 2011, 11:56 AM

Didn't Henry Ford have a car that was built from and ran on Hemp?

If only the Hemp boogie woogie was dropped and the market was allowed to bring Hemp technologies forth, geeez....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jokV8xlJTNE

jimswift
17th March 2011, 12:03 PM
found this at an online etymology dictionary....

Canvas: mid-14c., from Anglo-Fr. canevaz, from O.Fr. canevas, from V.L. *cannapaceus "made of hemp," from L. cannabis, from Gk. kannabis "hemp," a Scythian or Thracian word. Canvas-back as a type of N.Amer. duck is from 1785.

Awoke
17th March 2011, 12:05 PM
afaic, anything PepsiCo releases is not with our best interest (or the environments best interest) in mind.

These corporate vampires are hiding something about these bottles.

100% plant based, yet not biodegradable and will not break down?

Something is not right.

sirgonzo420
17th March 2011, 12:10 PM
found this at an online etymology dictionary....

Canvas: mid-14c., from Anglo-Fr. canevaz, from O.Fr. canevas, from V.L. *cannapaceus "made of hemp," from L. cannabis, from Gk. kannabis "hemp," a Scythian or Thracian word. Canvas-back as a type of N.Amer. duck is from 1785.

yep.

the Scythians used to get big heaps of cannabis and burn it in tents and would immerse themselves in the smoke.

from wiki:

Herodotus reports that Scythians used cannabis, both to weave their clothing and to cleanse themselves in its smoke (Hist. 4.73-75); archaeology has confirmed the use of cannabis in funeral rituals.

Low Pan
17th March 2011, 12:18 PM

Something is not right.

I found that very odd as well.

DMac
17th March 2011, 12:22 PM
Probably just more "go green!" propaganda.

Horn
17th March 2011, 12:39 PM

Something is not right.

I found that very odd as well.

Made from the left over tomato plants with the fish genes in them.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
17th March 2011, 12:42 PM
Hemp is the real pro. It biodegrades when exposed to landfill conditions.

Knowing pepsiCo, they're probably taking food out of somebody's mouth to make these bottles.

Cobalt
17th March 2011, 01:00 PM
afaic, anything PepsiCo releases is not with our best interest (or the environments best interest) in mind.

These corporate vampires are hiding something about these bottles.

Something is not right.

The lab rats at Pepsico would probably agree with you if they hadn't been snuffed out to hide the evidence of what that crap does when consumed.

Low Pan
17th March 2011, 01:07 PM
Made from the left over tomato plants with the fish genes in them.

LOL, the Bass-O'Matic Bottle ;D

http://finetooning.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/super-bass-o-matic-76.jpg

AndreaGail
17th March 2011, 01:41 PM
while on the subject of soft drinks, something that has always annoyed me is reference to the "secret coca cola formula"

i'm sure they orginially had hfcs in it a century ago when first :oo--> started

Ponce
17th March 2011, 02:11 PM

Drink the Pepsy and then smoke the bottle? ....... people will be buy the bottle, empty the bottle and then smoke the bottle?......I think that I'll become a Pepsy dealer.

Cobalt
17th March 2011, 02:20 PM

Drink the Pepsy and then smoke the bottle? ....... people will be buy the bottle, empty the bottle and then smoke the bottle?......I think that I'll become a Pepsy dealer.

Hemp doesn't really get you stoned because the THC level is so low.

It was all the industries threatened by it's many uses that got it outlawed, it had nothing to do with drug use

sirgonzo420
17th March 2011, 06:28 PM
while on the subject of soft drinks, something that has always annoyed me is reference to the "secret coca cola formula"

Naw, but they had cocaine in it.

Coke just ain't coke anymore.

:boohoo

If the economy gets too bad, they could always go back to the "old recipe" to increase sales.

drafter
17th March 2011, 06:37 PM

Crazy enough, our local grocery outlet has pallets of sugar sweetened Coca Cola in full size glass bottles imported from mexico! Blew me away. I hadn't seen full size glass bottles of Coke in years.

So how is it that the freakin Mexicans are good enough for real sugar sweetened soda and Americans have to drink the corn syrup crap?

Cobalt
17th March 2011, 06:43 PM

Crazy enough, our local grocery outlet has pallets of sugar sweetened Coca Cola in full size glass bottles imported from mexico! Blew me away. I hadn't seen full size glass bottles of Coke in years.

So how is it that the freakin Mexicans are good enough for real sugar sweetened soda and Americans have to drink the corn syrup crap?

Did you taste it?

My brother picked some up and it is so sweet that it taste just like pepsi which I hate because of sweetness

Cebu_4_2
17th March 2011, 06:50 PM

I think its great, buck a bottle at Wallyworld. If you do a side by side with the plastic HFCS night and day. I don't drink much soda at all but try to keep a stash with my preps.

drafter
17th March 2011, 06:57 PM
Did you taste it?

My brother picked some up and it is so sweet that it taste just like pepsi which I hate because of sweetness

Actually I haven't tasted it. I'm trying my best to avoid caffeine these days so I had to pass on it.

I do know I always used to prefer Coke to Pepsi because, like you pointed out, Pepsi used to be sweet to the point of being kinda gross.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
17th March 2011, 08:54 PM

It had the coca plant, and the kola nut, and it was actually a healthy, refreshing, invigorating tonic.

I know you're joking, but somebody always makes this joke when we discuss hemp. This joke makes no sense, since hemp contains 0.0% THC.

Serpo
17th March 2011, 10:43 PM

Yea a lot of people seem to like hemp...... ;D