PDA

View Full Version : GM closing pickup plant for lack of Japanese parts

Ares
17th March 2011, 05:02 PM
General Motors plans to halt production Monday of the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon compact pickups made at Shreveport, La., because some parts come from Japan and aren't available now.

The GM move is the first production halt directly linked to the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that wiped out portions of the northeast coast of Japan.

"We have suspended production at Shreveport for next week due to parts shortages due to the crisis in Japan. We will resume operations as soon as we can," GM manufacturing spokesman Chris Lee tells Drive On. He wouldn't identify the parts involved. Japanese companies often are the sole suppliers of electronics part for many vehicles.

Toyota and Subaru previously eliminated overtime shifts at their U.S. factories to stretch supplies of hard-to-replace Japan-sourced parts, and auto production in Japan continue on hold indefinitely. Car companies are forecasting when they plan to restart, but the dates continue to be pushed into the future.

Since March 11, nuclear radiation has leaked from damaged power plants, complicating and delaying rescue and revival efforts.

Canyon and Colorado are among GM's least-popular trucks, outsold about 15-to-1 by the company's full-size pickups. The Shreveport factory is scheduled to close permanently "no later than 2012," Lee says.

A new-generation Colorado will be made elsewhere.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/03/gm-closing-small-truck-plant-for-lack-of-japan-parts/1

mightymanx
17th March 2011, 05:06 PM
Heaven forbid a US taxpayer sponsored US car company make parts for US cars inside the US.

Oh wait that is just silly. :boom

Ponce
17th March 2011, 06:11 PM
Remember that I posted about this on the first day?.........buy spare parts for anything Japanese that you might have because we don't know how long it will be before they start exporting once again.

mick silver
17th March 2011, 06:31 PM
just one more wheel that coming off the train

sunnyandseventy
17th March 2011, 06:36 PM
I wonder if the chinese are gearing up to manufacture these items now? It doesn't seem like any manufacturing that's stopped in Japan is going to get going anytime soon. Years?

General of Darkness
17th March 2011, 06:40 PM
I'm calling b.s. on GM. We were just notified today that the NEC SV8500 telephone switch we sell in the U.S. is the only system made in Japan and there are 3 months worth of switches in stock and won't impact future supplies.

Cobalt
17th March 2011, 06:46 PM
The transmission for the chevy volt is made in Japan so that will be the next in their line to stop

Ponce
17th March 2011, 06:48 PM
General? I like to say that nothing happens till it happens but by the time that it happens it is then to late to do anything about it.........that's why when I read about anything I don't only read about it but I also like to know the reason for it.........and plan from there.

Twisted Titan
17th March 2011, 08:21 PM
And the managers that outsourced that work to Japan will get a heeping fat bonus

>:(

Ash_Williams
18th March 2011, 04:57 AM
They don't outsource to Japan exactly... it wouldn't be any cheaper. It's just that a lot of electronics are only made in Japan and have never been made anywhere else. It's been that way for 40+ years. Electronics to Japan is like Basmati rice to India.

And of course any new vehicle you get is loaded with electronics.

Personally I'm glad they're not making the Canyon now. F-ing ugly truck. No wonder it's their least popular.

gunDriller
18th March 2011, 06:09 AM
I'm calling b.s. on GM. We were just notified today that the NEC SV8500 telephone switch we sell in the U.S. is the only system made in Japan and there are 3 months worth of switches in stock and won't impact future supplies.

yes, but ... American manufacturing had this major brain embolism a few decades ago called "Just in Time" manufacturing.

yes, it can lower costs (typical biz school teaches a "carrying cost" for inventory of parts cost + 35% ... inventory has overhead costs) BUT it results in a system wound so thin that ... well, look at GM.

keehah
18th March 2011, 06:16 AM
General Motors plans to halt production Monday of the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon
They actually make an Canyonaro?!?

the simpsons canyonero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4QgWRycd7I

ShortJohnSilver
18th March 2011, 08:42 AM
What exactly is the item that they ship from Japan that takes less than 7 days to get there?