PDA

View Full Version : Libya question

G2Rad
18th March 2011, 02:01 PM
I got a silly question.

How come Obama-Clinton pair get us involved into this strange Lybia war?

Is not Congress supposed to declare wars? :conf:

Am I missing something? ???

Also, the money issue. Who is going to pay for Obama-Clinton war?

G2Rad
18th March 2011, 02:07 PM
According to the U.S. Constitution, only Congress has the power to declare war on another sovereign nation.

Who gave Obama right to bomb the bathrobe-creep? ???

Cobalt
18th March 2011, 02:18 PM
He doesn't really "declare war" that is how it does it.

If my memory serves right the United States have only really "declared war" 5 times

Civil war
Mex American War
Spanish American War
World War I
World War II

G2Rad
18th March 2011, 02:20 PM

If my memory serves right the United States have only really "declared war" 5 times

Civil war
Mex American War
Spanish American War
World War I
World War II

thanks. I did not realize that Vietnam, Korea and Iraq were not wars

Cobalt
18th March 2011, 02:45 PM

Civil war
Mex American War
Spanish American War
World War I
World War II

thanks. I did not realize that Vietnam, Korea and Iraq were not wars

They were wars but not formally declared

Korea was called a Military Engagement, it was authorized by the UN and if I remember correctly Congress authorized paying for it, during it's time it was referred too as a Police action and it wasn't until it was over was it called the Korean War

Vietnam and the Gulf War were called Military Engagements and authorized by Congress but we never formally declared war against Vietnam or Iraq

Makes you wonder how you can have a "War" that effects the whole world and kills millions of people and when it comes down too it, Nobody actually declared war against another doesn't it?

sirgonzo420
18th March 2011, 02:50 PM
War?

What war?

Congress hasn't declared war (unless the "war on drugs" counts) since WWII.

Ponce
18th March 2011, 03:31 PM
We are only "helping" those nations with oil........

PS: Snow flakes falling right now the size of oranges.

SilverTop
18th March 2011, 04:33 PM
Libya, one of the few remaining country's without a "central bank".

Qdaffy must go to make way for a 'banker friendly' dictator.

keehah
21st March 2011, 02:10 PM
FT.com: Gold key to financing Gaddafi struggle (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/588ce75a-53e4-11e0-8bd7-00144feab49a.html#ixzz1HGovIpcD)

By Jack Farchy and Roula Khalaf in London
Published: March 21 2011 18:21 |

The international community has hit Muammer Gaddafi with a raft of sanctions and asset freezes aimed at cutting off his funding. But the embattled Libyan leader is sitting on a pot of gold.

The Libyan central bank – which is under Col Gaddafi’s control – holds 143.8 tonnes of gold, according to the latest data from the International Monetary Fund, although some suspect the true amount could be several tonnes higher.

Those reserves, among the top 25 in the world, are worth more than $6.5bn at current prices, enough to pay a small army of mercenaries for months or even years.

While many central banks hold their gold reserves in international vaults in London, New York or Switzerland, Libya’s bullion is in the country, said people familiar with the country’s activities in the gold market.

US and European governments have frozen billions of dollars in Libyan assets, as sanctions have hit the central bank, sovereign wealth fund and state oil company.

But Libya’s gold reserves may provide Col Gaddafi with a lifeline – if he can sell them. To raise large amounts of money, bankers said, Col Gaddafi would have to transport the bullion out of Libya.