PDA

View Full Version : We Have Forgotten What True Money Is

Twisted Titan
19th March 2011, 12:56 PM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/42027149

We Have Forgotten What True Money Is

A wise old fund manager once told me "never trust a man or woman under the age of thirty to manage your money; they ain't seen nothing yet."

Ask most individuals their greatest fear about growing old and chances are most won't speak of wrinkles, or grey and thinning hair. I suspect most worry about the loss of their mental faculties.

I know I do.

Alzheimer's is an aging disease that promotes the loss of such cognitive ability. A form of dementia - it is an incurable, degenerative and terminal disease.

By 2050, researchers suggest 1 in 85 of the world population will suffer from this cruel affliction.

Sadly these past few decades the world populace has been suffering from another form of mental incapacity – "economic amnesia." Individuals have forgotten the rudiments of monetary supply and demand.

Too much money creates a rise in the price of a stable supply of goods and services. They forget this is also concomitant with a loss in the value of their day's earnings.

The introduction of an overbearing welfare system in most developed countries has robbed the masses of independent thought. Government has induced a powerful amnesia in us.

But there is good news: fish oils may ameliorate the decline of impaired thought, but the internet could likely prevent it entirely.

The internet never sleeps, but more importantly it will never allow us to forget. Never before has so much information been so readily accessible, and to so many - information that extols the truth, free of government propaganda.

Price Controls

The seminal events in the Maghreb are a testimony to the power of the internet.

The "Facebook" revolution in Egypt instigated the protests against an unjust regime. Such discontent reverberated across the net to repressed citizens of all nations. It is arguably of more significance than the fall of Communism, as edified by the Berlin Wall collapse.

From the early inception of "organized" government, officialdom has attempted to control their economies. In Ancient times, in the land of the Nile, the state regulated all grain production and distribution.

All prices were fixed by "fiat" – by decree. Back then, he who controlled the "bread" was in the possession of the ultimate power.

By controlling food prices, the Egyptian government thought it had ownership of the people. Today, government believes monopoly of the numeraire imputes control on the masses.

The profligate behavior of the state in fiscal and monetary policy has so distorted the true value of money that commodity and consumer prices have risen inexorably.

We will see yet more unrest around the world in years to come, ceteris paribus. Monopoly of the media of exchange, is the ultimate price control.

Price controls always distort the level of economic activity and cause disequilibria in prices and human behavior.

The irony is that MENA erupted on a wave of rising food prices. Modern Egypt had too lost the control of the "bread."

We have forgotten what true money is. Despite all the troubles, I am hopeful – the internet is curing our amnesia.

People now remember gold.

Twisted Titan
19th March 2011, 12:58 PM
"The introduction of an overbearing welfare system in most developed countries has robbed the masses of independent thought."

One thing I notice on the internet is "Everyone's Brainwashed" syndrome, in which the patient believes that those around him are severely deluded by a government or some other group. Symptoms may include feelings of superiority or a desire to reach 'the masses,' even though the masses are probably doing just fine, and he/she may be the misled one.

I assure you, people in welfare states can think just fine.

But would it not be the case that any country on the gold standard now would be experiencing severe deflation? As gold, I imagine you know, has become much, much more valuable relative to the dollar/other currencies since 2002. To the best of my brainwashed knowledge, it wouldn't be so hot if our U.S. dollar increased in value about sixfold in less than a decade.

Or if it plummeted in value following a crash. And trust me, gold's days are numbered.

--Brainwashed 20-year-old
Report Abuse

tkwelge | Mar 14, 2011 03:00 AM ET

Deflation has never been a bad thing for any long period of time. The 1800's was rife with deflation, and we experienced some of the fastest decades of economic growth in our history.

If gold were currency, and there wasn't fiat money in the system, there would be no force to create the powerful rises and dips in the price of gold or anything else.

The fact that the price of gold rises and falls has little to do with its value as money. Gold is a valuable money simply because government handlers cannot create more or less of it than actually exists. It chains the monetary system to reality. The rise and fall in the price of gold will simply lead to price fluctuations that aren't necessarily bad or good.
Report Abuse
BobbyLu | Mar 14, 2011 05:12 AM ET

Money has a funny effect on those who possess it; the more they have the more delusional they get lol
Report Abuse
warrenmosler | Mar 14, 2011 07:35 AM ET

food prices are up because we're burning our food supply for fuel.

all because you have to win in iowa early to be the next president, hence corn has gone from $2 to over $7 as we burn up 30% of the crop for ethanol production. Not to mention the waste of ground water, etc.

www.moslereconomics.com
Report Abuse
Radical_1 | Mar 14, 2011 07:58 AM ET

>>>The introduction of an overbearing welfare system in most developed countries has robbed the masses of independent thought. Government has induced a powerful amnesia in us.

/ / / And anyone that's ever read my posts knows that I already have it named and I call it: "ALZHEIMER'S NATION", but I swear 7-8 out of 10 have it instead of the 1 out of 85 that you claim!!! And the way everyone thinks Wall Street can just keep going UP, UP & UP, just built on the theory of Keynesian Economics I don't think that more than 1 out of 50 has even had a single Economics class or lesson either.
Report Abuse
Radical_1 | Mar 14, 2011 08:14 AM ET

>>>KBurchfiel, One thing I notice on the internet is "Everyone's Brainwashed" syndrome, in which the patient believes that those around him are severely deluded by a government or some other group. Symptoms may include feelings of superiority or a desire to reach 'the masses,' even though the masses are probably doing just fine, and he/she may be the misled one.

I assure you, people in welfare states can think just fine.

/ / / REALLY, REALLY, is that the reason that the MASSES missed the Market Crash and got caught in it and ONLY US, the MISLED FEW saw it coming??? I think that the "EVERYBODY'S BRAINWASHED" theory is a very good one as I don't think that there's over a handful of people that actually see what's in store for the USA in the future. And it's NOT NICE AT ALL!!! Ask Bill Gross, he's one that sees it coming.
Report Abuse
Damon111 | Mar 14, 2011 08:52 AM ET

When the rat gets the food pellet enough times he is sure he knows what is going on. When the government manipulates the market long enough 99% of the people believe they are financial geniuses. Rock the boat and you are a crackpot.

I have determined that it is not just possible that the vast majority of people are delusional but that it is the normal condition. This is how the very smart people continuously take advantage of them.

Ponce
19th March 2011, 02:26 PM
I don't know anything about finances but TO ME... "Money is anything that can be use as a means of exchanging what you have for what you want".