PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas lowers tax on groceries

Sparky
24th March 2011, 12:37 PM
We don't tax groceries (specifically, food items) in Massachusetts. I thought that was true in all states, but evidently not. Does your state tax food purchased in grocery stores?

=====

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- Arkansas lawmakers on Thursday approved cutting the state's taxes on groceries and manufacturers' utility bills, becoming one of the first states to adopt significant tax relief while other statehouses are grappling with massive spending cuts and deficits.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ark-Senate-backs-groceries-apf-3236193143.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

sirgonzo420
24th March 2011, 12:39 PM
Wow. That's somethin'!

Massachusetts *doesn't* tax something that Kentucky does?

osoab
24th March 2011, 12:41 PM
They tax almost everything in ILL.

Well, I guess they don't tax bullion. ;D

MNeagle
24th March 2011, 12:52 PM
Here's a listing by state: http://www.money-zine.com/Financial-Planning/Tax-Shelter/State-Sales-Tax-Rates/

We are taxed on restaurant food.

SLV^GLD
24th March 2011, 01:36 PM
TN applies a uniform 9.75% sales tax regardless of the nature of transaction.

NC, GA and KY have a specifically lower sales tax for items deemed to be "groceries".

Cobalt
24th March 2011, 02:29 PM
Washington state here

Years ago we voted the tax off food, it took 6 months for the tax to be removed, the excuse being they needed to print up new tax charts. (this was before cash registers did it automatically)

Then Dixe Lee Ray got voted in as Governor, one of the first things she did is she signed the bill to reinstate the food tax about late afternoon and it was in place and being collected at 12:01 AM

We had to wait until the next election to vote it off again.

Down1
24th March 2011, 02:34 PM
Wow, this is shocking.
I thought if something wasn't taxed in Massachusetts, it wouldn't be taxed anywhere.

Here's a listing by state: http://www.money-zine.com/Financial-Planning/Tax-Shelter/State-Sales-Tax-Rates/

Nice link.

uncletonoose
24th March 2011, 02:36 PM

NC, GA and KY have a specifically lower sales tax for items deemed to be "groceries".

The state of Tennessee has a 7.0% sales tax with and exemption for prescription medications. Food is taxed at 5.50%. Then the County slaps on 2.75%

Cebu_4_2
24th March 2011, 04:02 PM

That list must be out dated, in MI they USED to not tax food, then taxed restaurant food only take out, now both. They also tax grocery foods now unless you are on food stamps.

SLV^GLD
25th March 2011, 05:24 AM

The state of Tennessee has a 7.0% sales tax with and exemption for prescription medications. Food is taxed at 5.50%. Then the County slaps on 2.75%
My bad, shows how long I've been absent from my home state (about 9 years now). Your information is verifiably correct. The separate food tax rate was introduced in 2008. As for how the non-food number got to 9.75% it is largely irrelevant if it is a combination of state and county taxes when the bill is taxed at 9.75% to the end user although it should be noted that some counties may not tax the maximum of 2.75% so the total may not always be 9.75% non-food. Somehow, I never managed to be in a county that didn't charge the max rate.

uncletonoose
25th March 2011, 05:26 AM

My bad, shows how long I've been absent from my home state (about 9 years now). Your information is verifiably correct. The separate food tax rate was introduced in 2008. As for how the non-food number got to 9.75% it is largely irrelevant if it is a combination of state and county taxes when the bill is taxed at 9.75% to the end user although it should be noted that some counties may not tax the maximum of 2.75% so the total may not always be 9.75% non-food. Somehow, I never managed to be in a county that didn't charge the max rate.

Let me add, that there is no state income tax.

Buddha
25th March 2011, 05:42 AM
In Missouri I know that they tax groceries. Also on the receipt there is a High-tax and a Low-tax, as some items are taxed differently. I can't find a receipt right now but I know that it's not just alcohol and cigarettes etc.