PDA

View Full Version : someone please school me on 5-gallon buckets, mylar, and o2 absorbers

sirgonzo420
26th March 2011, 03:18 PM
I feel like I need to store more rice and beans and such.

What do I need to know/do?

I've got some 5-gallon buckets, but I've read that mylar and O2 absorbers are highly recommended... what say you, GSUS?

Jazkal
26th March 2011, 03:43 PM
Unless the 5 gallon buckets are food grade, then you HAVE to use Mylar bags to store food in them.

Here is a thread out there that explains it better than I feel like typing it all out:
http://www.survivalandpreparednessforum.com/showthread.php?1149-DIY-food-storage-basics-ask-questions-get-answers-etc.

How to seal Mylar bags with an iron:
http://www.youtube.com/v/fk9b0dAtJ80?f=videos&app=youtube_gdata

These are the basics. If you plan on doing more that just a few buckets here or there, then think about getting one of these to help sealing:
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/hotjaw.html

sirgonzo420
26th March 2011, 03:53 PM
I'm gonna use mylar anyway, but if a plastic container is labeled "2" ("HDPE"), doesn't that mean it's food grade?

I just got some buckets from Lowe's... nothin' fancy.

gunDriller
26th March 2011, 03:57 PM
I feel like I need to store more rice and beans and such.

What do I need to know/do?

I've got some 5-gallon buckets, but I've read that mylar and O2 absorbers are highly recommended... what say you, GSUS?

i used to buy used food buckets for $1 each from the local supermarket. that's a good source ... just have to wash out the pickle smell.

more along the lines of doing it on-the-cheap - can you just fill the bags with rice or beans, then use some thicker plastic bags (3 mil) to wrap them up ?

i guess it depends on how long you're going to keep them, and where they will be stored. if they'll be stored outdoors - not even a plastic 5 gallon bucket will stop a dedicated critter like a squirrel. they will chew through it for fun.

as far as the oxygen absorbers ... can you use a small chunk of dry ice to fill the cavity with CO2 to push out all the oxygen ? not perfect, and it can pop the bag if the seal is too tight, but, again, a low-cost method.

sirgonzo420
26th March 2011, 04:12 PM
Another question:

If I use mylar, should I open my bags of rice and dump it all into the mylar bags?

I have different brands/types of rice in the original packaging, and would like to keep it that way if possible... would it be ok to put the original bags of rice into the mylar, and then put in an O2 absorber and seal it? Or is there some reason that won't work?

I suppose I could just mix my rice... it's not like the original bags are completely airtight... I'd just like to see an opinion as to the above.

chad
26th March 2011, 04:29 PM
Another question:

If I use mylar, should I open my bags of rice and dump it all into the mylar bags?

I have different brands/types of rice in the original packaging, and would like to keep it that way if possible... would it be ok to put the original bags of rice into the mylar, and then put in an O2 absorber and seal it? Or is there some reason that won't work?

I suppose I could just mix my rice... it's not like the original bags are completely airtight... I'd just like to see an opinion as to the above.

the original bags really are complete shit if they came from a grocery store. if they're the thick 3 mill ones from a box store (like you have 20 pound bags of jasmine or something), they might serve some useful purpose, but personally, i ditch them.

sirgonzo420
26th March 2011, 04:39 PM
Also, any recommended vendors for mylar bags and O2 absorbers?

Glass
26th March 2011, 05:29 PM
good info.
Thanks

sirgonzo420
26th March 2011, 05:31 PM
You can use those carbon-iron handwarmers that are used for winter sports to absorb oxygen. Your bucket had better be filled though with few air gaps or else the vacuum created will really suck in the sides.

I've heard that. It's better than nothing, but I bet they'd leave more oxygen than an absorber.

Except I think they market "boot/glove warmers" that are supposed to work in lower oxygen environments... so maybe that...

Cobalt
26th March 2011, 05:32 PM
Also, any recommended vendors for mylar bags and O2 absorbers?

Search for a LDS cannery in your area (latter Day Saints) and give them a call

They sell bags, o2 absorbers and several bulk food items, some of them are set up to sell a few canned foods and will also teach you how to can on the big #10 canners they have, they sell cans and lids also.

I was just at one last week just checking it out, the mylar bags I was looking at were $0.38 ea and I believe the absorbers were a dime each.

Make sure you call because they keep short hours being staffed by volunteers and the one I was at only takes checks, no plastic or cash.

The people I talked with were very polite and never once mentioned anything about church or tried to sales pitch me.

sirgonzo420
26th March 2011, 07:17 PM
Another question:

the original bags really are complete shit if they came from a grocery store. if they're the thick 3 mill ones from a box store (like you have 20 pound bags of jasmine or something), they might serve some useful purpose, but personally, i ditch them.

I'll probably ditch them for the rice... but I've got different types of beans in 1 and 2 lb bags and I don't want to wait until I have full 5-gallon buckets full of each type to seal some up for long term storage.

Would I be ok to leave the beans in their original bags, so they would be separate, and not a bunch of different types all mixed together, and then put those bags in a mylar bag and seal it up with an O2 absorber? Would the bags inside the mylar present any problem for the O2 absorber?

mightymanx
26th March 2011, 09:42 PM
I use baytec containers for all those needs.

I do the 5 galon bucket with the gama seal lid. Baytec also sells a zip-shut mylar bag so you dont have to deal with the pain in the ass of heatsealing them.

I use o2 absorbers If you use the co2 method which is what dry ice is also the co2 can combign with any moisture in the food and make carbonic acid probably fine for the short term but after 5 years???? not worth the risk for me.

I like the gama seal lids so when you start using it it is super convient to spin on and off. From the factory they are fairly cheap.

Buddha
26th March 2011, 10:10 PM
LDS is a good source. I called them and their local hub or whatever didn't have things to sell and the woman said to just order on line, no religious talk or anything. So I ordered about 100lbs of food with free shipping. I didn't order any cans or bags, but all of that food with free shipping came in 3 days while the estimated time was a week.

I didn't have to sign for it either, just came home from work one day and there was 100lbs of food out side my door. I get $10 books shipped here and it's a fucking chess game to accept the package.

ArgenteumTelum
27th March 2011, 06:55 AM
Seriously consider purchasing one of these: http://www.heatsealers.com/pc-4085-1385-hand-held-crimper-sealers-15-mm-seal.aspx

if you are in a group, the cost can be shared. It's fast and does a great job.

chad
27th March 2011, 01:39 PM
Another question:

I'll probably ditch them for the rice... but I've got different types of beans in 1 and 2 lb bags and I don't want to wait until I have full 5-gallon buckets full of each type to seal some up for long term storage.

Would I be ok to leave the beans in their original bags, so they would be separate, and not a bunch of different types all mixed together, and then put those bags in a mylar bag and seal it up with an O2 absorber? Would the bags inside the mylar present any problem for the O2 absorber?

i would think the 02 absorbers tossed in the bucket/mylar bag would have a hard time getting out all of the o2 from the store bags. i imagine a residual amount of air would remain in the store bags. that's why i always rip them open and get rid of them. i'd rather have 100% no air than 2% air left "and a secondary bag." could be just enough air is left for them to spoil or go hard.

sirgonzo420
27th March 2011, 04:47 PM
Another question:

i would think the 02 absorbers tossed in the bucket/mylar bag would have a hard time getting out all of the o2 from the store bags. i imagine a residual amount of air would remain in the store bags. that's why i always rip them open and get rid of them. i'd rather have 100% no air than 2% air left "and a secondary bag." could be just enough air is left for them to spoil or go hard.

That's what I was thinking.

I'm just gonna mix all my rice together. I've got some probably mediocre rice, and some jasmine and other highfalutin' rices. If I mix em all up, hopefully I'll end up with something decent. lol

I might just get smaller mylar bags for beans, so it'll be easier for me to keep 'em separate without having to go out and buy gallons upon gallons of each type bean at a time.

Thanks for the help guys!

the biss
27th March 2011, 05:21 PM
Heads up! Heads up! As of last week, non-Mormons are no longer allowed access to LDS canneries unless directly accompanied by a member of the LDS church.

A friend of mine who is an outreach pastor has been using the cannery in Greensboro for years and years to supplement his church's food ministry in poor rural eastern NC. For all intents and purposes, he's an honorary Mormon (though he doesn't agree a lick with their theology).

He came by the house last Wednesday after his recent trip to GSO and said, "Dave, we have problems. Big problems..." then proceeded to tell me that that day he had been effectively BANNED from going to the cannery by himself, or from bringing groups of non-LDS people there for canning days.

Now ya'll know the LDS Church has always been on the leading edge of emergency preparedness and community outreach. So for them to cut off access to their canneries and Bishop's Pantry means that something large is afoot.

Last week I placed my largest food order ever for customers of my FoodPreps.com website (http://www.foodpreps.com). A typically weekly food co-op order is around $4-5K. Last weeks was almost 3x that amount! I got in 6 tons of dry bulk food and now most of it is all gone. And you can bet your patootie that about 400lbs of that is going into mylar and buckets in my crawlspace.

- Biss out.

Bigjon
27th March 2011, 06:12 PM
Can someone tell why they use mylar? Is it a safer non-contaminating type of plastic, free from BPA and phthalates?

the biss
27th March 2011, 06:29 PM
It's not mylar like the balloons you get at the supermarket checkout for your kids, but a sandwich of various plastic sheets and metal foils that creates an oxygen barrier. The REAL name is a mylar oxygen barrier bag.

The whole goal of food storage is to negate the effect of oxygen on your stored food; keep the food from oxydizing. Some things like wheat and unprocessed (re; brown) rice will have a shelf stable life of over 7 years just in the paper bags, if you can keep vermin away from them. These, I just toss in an HDPE 5 gallon bucket with an O2 absorber and screw the lid down.

(BTW, I use Life Latch buckets rather than Gamma Seal lids. I like the fact that the screwtop lid has a ratchet that keeps them from accidentally opening when jostled.)

Other things, like items that were once wet but now dry like dehydrated veggies, powdered milk, etc, should be stored in mylar oxygen barrier bags. I get the 20x30 bags which can be made into a variety of smaller bags, or placed whole into a 5 or 6 gallon bucket. Onca again, I will use a 1500 cc(ml) O2 absorber to negate oxygen.

Once the food's in the bags with the O2 absorber, you can store the bags in buckets, drums, tubs, suitcases, dufflebags, family credenzas, whatever, to keep the rodents from getting to them. I still keep my in the Life Latch buckets cause I can stack them 4 or 5 high, and they have handles so I can grab em and go if necessary.

nunaem
27th March 2011, 06:50 PM
I have nothing to add regarding storing. But remember to eat what you store, this ought to help: http://www.mediafire.com/?391xhw51lan82ac

Korbin Dallas
27th March 2011, 08:12 PM
You can still order through the LDS website, O2 absorbers are cheap:
http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_10705_10551_21003_-1__195877
They have other items, but they all seem to be on backorder. Yep, something is on the horizon.
http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_10705_10551_21158_-1_N_image_0

SLV^GLD
28th March 2011, 08:32 AM
As of last week, non-Mormons are no longer allowed access to LDS canneries unless directly accompanied by a member of the LDS church...the cannery in Greensboro...
Son of a whore. That's the one I use. I'm pretty well stocked with cans so I've not been by there in over a year but I was interested in buying their O2 absorbers and some relatives had expressed interest in setting up a day the group could can. Not good news at all.

big country
28th March 2011, 08:46 AM
I use http://www.sorbentsystems.com/products.html for all my sealing needs. They might not be the cheapest place for O2 absorbers, but I usually buy them at the same time as mylar and they are pretty competitve on mylar.

My last order was the #10 can equivalent bags. I can get 5 in a 5 gallon bucket, I weigh my packages and seal in 5lb packs for rice and wheat. so I can get 5, 5lb packs in a 5 gallon bucket.

10VF4C16
10.0"x16.0"
Equivalent to a #10 can. PAKVF4C
5.0 mils- Food Grade!
Also available in Green! 250 50 50-150 @ $0.562ea
200-450 @ $0.525ea
500-1000 @ $0.465ea
1250-2250 @ $.415ea
2500 + @ $.368ea

sirgonzo420
28th March 2011, 08:51 AM
As of last week, non-Mormons are no longer allowed access to LDS canneries unless directly accompanied by a member of the LDS church...the cannery in Greensboro...
Son of a whore. That's the one I use. I'm pretty well stocked with cans so I've not been by there in over a year but I was interested in buying their O2 absorbers and some relatives had expressed interest in setting up a day the group could can. Not good news at all.

I'm sure your group could go still go use the LDS cannery.... supposing they put on some secret sacred underwear and followed the teachings of Joseph Smith first! :D

To my knowledge, there is not an LDS cannery around me.... or an LSD cannery for that matter. :'(

SLV^GLD
28th March 2011, 08:54 AM
I prolly shouldn't let this out and I'd appreciate it if you folks kept this under the hat. The only way they verify if you are mormon or not is by asking your stake #. This akin to a retail store # but is applicable to the church you attend. Find out the local stake #'s and just use that number as your mormon ID# upon arrival. Bonus points for making sure you use a stake # that is different from the one attended by the folks actually running the place.

Cobalt
28th March 2011, 08:56 AM

I'm sure your group could go still go use the LDS cannery.... supposing they put on some secret sacred underwear and followed the teachings of Joseph Smith first! :D

To my knowledge, there is not an LDS cannery around me.... or an LSD cannery for that matter. :'(

search link
http://providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html