PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out about radiation in CA

lapis
29th March 2011, 10:44 PM
I really really hope I'm just being paranoid, but today I had to pick up my daughter from school because she was coughing and had a sore throat. She was coughing a little in the morning, but I thought it would clear up as she got more active because she hardly ever gets sick. But I got a call to pick her up a few hours later.

When I was signing her out, I noticed that about four other kids got signed out due to illness on the new page of the sign-out sheet. In the car, she told me a lot of people from her class had gone home too. She said she'd felt okay until P.E., when they had to go running outside.

Once she was home we stayed inside, and I made her some miso soup with wakame, and later on some more soup. Within a couple of hours she was her normal energetic self, with a bit of a cough but it wasn't bothering her.

I just got an email from the teacher confirming that a lot of kids are sick with coughs, runny noses, and upset stomachs.

I'm in southern California, about 15 miles away from the coast. Do you think this could be from all the radiation from Japan?! Should I even discuss this with her teacher?

lapis
29th March 2011, 10:55 PM
Oh great, I just got an email from a friend of mine who lives about 15 miles inland from me, and she says she discovered a hard shiny pink boil with a little white pustule in it, the size of a lentil on the crease on the back of her wrist. It's not something she's gotten before, and it happened overnight. *Biting nails*

Serpo
29th March 2011, 11:17 PM
If it all is related it would be terrible

lapis
29th March 2011, 11:28 PM
According to this EPA site, the numbers recorded today were low, but can we trust these numbers?

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/rert/radnet-data-map.html

G2Rad
30th March 2011, 05:08 AM
Notice that typical gamma counters are capable of detecting Iodine-131 and Cesium-137. (Unfortunately they are useless for detecting Strontium-90 and Plutonium-239)

Can you detect any change in radiation readings with dosimeter held against her skin near thyroid gland?

I am on the East Coast; there have been reports of Iodine-131 in the air and rain water at concentrations 5% of the safety limit.

I've been applying iodine topically to my child and making her sniff iodine daily.

Iodine-131 can cause cancer in children 5-10 years down the road.

gunDriller
30th March 2011, 06:00 AM
maybe it's time to start drying out that seaweed i got at the beach - and to start eating it.

but first i suppose i should get it tested to see how much Potassium Iodide is in it. as high as .5% by weight, what i read.

Cobalt
30th March 2011, 08:11 AM
maybe it's time to start drying out that seaweed i got at the beach - and to start eating it.

but first i suppose i should get it tested to see how much Potassium Iodide is in it. as high as .5% by weight, what i read.

Depends on when and where it was collected, the seaweed washing up on Vancouver BC beaches has been confirmed to be contaminated with iodine

Spectrism
30th March 2011, 01:31 PM
The reports of contaminated rain water in the east make this a national concern. Most places in northern north america are at risk. I just gave instructions to start filling the empty plastic jugs with water in case the well becomes contaminated. A couple years ago I started saving the HDPE jugs from apple cider we bought. Back then I was a nut for saving these things. Now I have about 30 of these gallon jugs- and even that is still not enough.

I think things could really start to get interesting.
Read Rev 8:7-11.

Then Rev 9:1-11.

I don't think we are at that point yet. Maybe this is just a foreshadowing... at least I hope that is all. We will know by mid summer.

lapis
30th March 2011, 04:41 PM
According to this EPA site, the numbers recorded today were low, but can we trust these numbers?

I was feeling a false sense of security, today my city's numbers went up to almost 100 betas from 15-20 yesterday. But I guess I don't need to be worried, because the site says that "Electrical interference can cause spikes, shown on graphs as one point significantly higher than the rest of the data." Uh-huh.

Today there was a lot of fog inland, and it was brown-tinged.

Can you detect any change in radiation readings with dosimeter held against her skin near thyroid gland?

I don't have one, nor do I know of anyone that has one. *sigh*

madscientist
30th March 2011, 05:39 PM

No, you cannot.

But not because the government is necessarily rigging the numbers.

Raw atmospheric radiation readings do not tell the whole story.

The radioactive contamination spread around the world from the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant is being concentrated. It will concentrate in rainwater, and everyone & everything that consumes that water. We'll be seeing substantial increases in radiation in foods for some time to come. In particular, watch out for dairy, but all plant life and animal life will be affected. For the next few months (at least for several weeks after the Fukushima plant finally stops spewing radioactive materials - this is not in sight yet), Radioiodine 131 will be the main threat, particularly for young people.

PS: I'm a newcomer here. I found this site while doing economic research regarding the impact on precious metals from the Japanese catastrophe. I'm glad to be here. :)

madscientist
30th March 2011, 05:44 PM

Not with a true dosimeter, but with a rate meter or combo unit (rate meter & dosimeter), yes, you may get a slightly higher count if contamination with Radioiodine 131 has occurred.

vacuum
30th March 2011, 09:04 PM
I live in washington state. Its been raining constantly since the disaster.

I got a sore throat and cough today... Also my stomach feels a little bad. Not terrible, but there is a noticeable feeling.

BrewTech
30th March 2011, 09:14 PM
Apparently many of the staff at Stone Brewing Co. were sick today... many folks at Mrs. Brewtech's work today complaining of flu-like symptoms...

If I look around day to day... it seems that people just aren't feeling very good. Myself, I've been a little tired, but that could be just recovering from the major fun of last weekend... ;D (I'm going with that)

There may be a lot of reasons for people feeling a little sick as of late, but it isn't exactly flu season, so there may be reasons to look at other causes... ?

Does radiation exposure cause flu-like symptoms in the beginning?

lapis
30th March 2011, 09:46 PM
I'm not feeling the greatest myself, but that may have to do with spending so many late nights reading every news story on this, and the stress caused from having relatives in Japan who refuse to leave.

vacuum
30th March 2011, 09:57 PM
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/radiation-sickness/DS00432/DSECTION=symptoms

That says nausea is the first symptom of radiation poisoning. I don't feel any nausea.

vacuum
30th March 2011, 09:58 PM
Since I'm laid up at home I figured I set my military compass on the coffee table to see how it does throughout the day. Well hells bells it's changed about 5 degrees throughout the day.

Is this normal?

The flipping the the earth's magnetic axis has commenced. Report to the underground shelter immediately. If anyone gets in your way, stab him in the dick. ;D

Well since you're absolutely no help with my post, what can you do to help me with this damn flu I got. >:(

http://gold-silver.us/forum/general-discussion/is-it-normal-for-my-compass-to-be-changing-direction/msg206151/#msg206151

madscientist
31st March 2011, 05:43 AM
Does radiation exposure cause flu-like symptoms in the beginning?

Yes. But the readings we're all getting just aren't high enough to cause it. Or so we think. If the "low" contamination making it to America's shores is making people sick, we are in big trouble. I rule nothing out. I personally witness science evolve in my life. What we think we "knew" oftentimes we did not.

For those who want to know more, study the Petkau Effect. Dr. Petkau's research shows we didn't - and probably still don't - truly understand the effects of nuclear radiation. In short, the Petkau Effect is that biophysical effects of radiation are not linear, i.e., damage & injury are not necessarily correlated to intensity.

madscientist
31st March 2011, 05:59 AM
Got milk? Maybe you shouldn't.

http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/node/2174

"The only isotope we have detected besides background is I-131, at 0.70 Becquerels per liter."

I am of the firm opinion that the only "safe" level of fission products is zero.

G2Rad
31st March 2011, 07:04 AM

Not with a true dosimeter, but with a rate meter or combo unit (rate meter & dosimeter), yes, you may get a slightly higher count if contamination with Radioiodine 131 has occurred.

yes, rate meter is what I meant. thanks for correcting.

madscientist, glad to see you here. welcome to the forum.

you are perhaps the first evidence of natural growth of this forum :)

G2Rad
31st March 2011, 07:13 AM

"The only isotope we have detected besides background is I-131, at 0.70 Becquerels per liter."

I am of the firm opinion that the only "safe" level of fission products is zero.

if we convert Becquerels into Curie, 0.70 Becquerels per liter would be something around 25 pCi/L
the federal standard for iodine-131 in drinking water is only 3 pCi/L

which makes concentration of I-131 in milk 7 times over federal standard

its not good

G2Rad
31st March 2011, 07:20 AM
Bad thing is, there is no way my home equipment can detect I-131 in milk at such concentrations

Therefore there is no way for me to know if the milk I buy is clean.

Yet it still may be harmful, because if not saturated the thyroid avidly devours and stores every atom of poison, increasing its concentration many folds.

Large Sarge
31st March 2011, 07:37 AM
Read ‘em and seep: The Petkau effect

http://www.urbansurvival.com/blog/?p=3557

zap
31st March 2011, 07:44 AM
Lapis,

Lots of bugs going around Ca. this year, the flu is going around right now, and the cough, sore throat,green snot cold has been lively since Jan. in lots of schools, I am close to San Luis Obispo and everybody I talk to is either sick or has been sick in the last few months, We both were sick with the cold, sore throat, cough, snot, for almost 3 months. Ginger tea helped us, Don't panic those little kids seem to breed that stuff in the schools. ;)

Large Sarge
31st March 2011, 07:53 AM
Not that OSHA gives the highest standards in the world but as a guide to go by

29 CFR 1910.1096(b)(1) for ionizing radiation the standard is 1.25 REM per calendar quarter for the entire body, 18.75 REM per calendar quarter for the hands, arms, feet and legs and 7.5 REM per calendar quarter for the skin.

My meter currently reads in the neighborhood of .01 milliREM. This dosage would exceed the lowest OSHA standard in 100,000 hours (impossible in on calendar quarter). The meter would have to read 1 milliREM for 1000 hours to get close to the lowest OSHA standard. It would have to read 1,000 milliREM to arrive at the quarterly max in one hour.

Certainly any radiation at all is bad but for the meter to be of use to tell you which direction to head these are simply guidelines of how fast to beat feet.

you need to read about the petkau effect, radiation dosing is not linear

http://www.urbansurvival.com/blog/?p=3557

sirgonzo420
31st March 2011, 07:54 AM

29 CFR 1910.1096(b)(1) for ionizing radiation the standard is 1.25 REM per calendar quarter for the entire body, 18.75 REM per calendar quarter for the hands, arms, feet and legs and 7.5 REM per calendar quarter for the skin.

My meter currently reads in the neighborhood of .01 milliREM. This dosage would exceed the lowest OSHA standard in 100,000 hours (impossible in one calendar quarter). The meter would have to read 1 milliREM for 1000 hours to get close to the lowest OSHA standard. It would have to read 1,000 milliREM to arrive at the quarterly max in one hour.

Certainly any radiation at all is bad but for the meter to be of use to tell you which direction to head these are simply guidelines of how fast to beat feet.

Yeah, but beat feet to *where*?

Large Sarge
31st March 2011, 08:00 AM
you are going to have to supplement the clay

Rense had a program on this, it pulls out radeonucleotides.

let me look for the link

G2Rad
31st March 2011, 08:06 AM

My meter currently reads in the neighborhood of .01 milliREM. This dosage would exceed the lowest OSHA standard in 100,000 hours (impossible in one calendar quarter). The meter would have to read 1 milliREM for 1000 hours to get close to the lowest OSHA standard. It would have to read 1,000 milliREM to arrive at the quarterly max in one hour.

your meter mesures in rads/hour. REMs are for absorbed dose (bio damage)

lapis
31st March 2011, 09:42 AM
madscientist, glad to see you here. welcome to the forum.

you are perhaps the first evidence of natural growth of this forum :)

I agree! Welcome, and it's good to have you here madscientist.

lapis
31st March 2011, 09:52 AM
Lapis,

Lots of bugs going around Ca. this year, the flu is going around right now, and the cough, sore throat,green snot cold has been lively since Jan. in lots of schools, I am close to San Luis Obispo and everybody I talk to is either sick or has been sick in the last few months, We both were sick with the cold, sore throat, cough, snot, for almost 3 months. Ginger tea helped us, Don't panic those little kids seem to breed that stuff in the schools. ;)

I know! But it was weird that the kids' symptoms got worse after P.E., where they were running around outside on the soccer field. Also I just heard that H1N1 has reared its ugly head in CA again! I'm losing my grip, as that totally flew under my radar. :(

Time to increase the fermented cod liver oil dosage. I've been too preoccupied to give it to my daughter every day like I should. Somehow, I've managed to miss getting all the colds and flus, despite getting very little sleep and taking no supplements at all. I've been meditating more, and that seems to help.

I'm glad to hear that you and your daughter are feeling better! Ginger tea sounds really good, that's for sure. I may have to go out and get some fresh roots from the store, as well as some more seaweed.

G2Rad
31st March 2011, 10:01 AM
hey Lapis,

Did you stockpile on potasium iodine tablets?

Major storm is coming here, we gonna get a lot of rain.

sunnyandseventy
31st March 2011, 10:07 AM
So is this stuff more dangerous with the rain? Or snow? Because my area is under a winter storm warning. Radio active snow piles and drifts doesn't sound good.

Cobalt
31st March 2011, 10:35 AM
So is this stuff more dangerous with the rain? Or snow? Because my area is under a winter storm warning. Radio active snow piles and drifts doesn't sound good.

take your pick

Not a concern to human health

well within safe limits

below acceptable limits

Safe

No concern

lower then background levels

Exposure lower then a dental xray

Exposure equal to a dental xray

Exposure slightly higher then a dental xray

Exposure less then someone would receive if they were flying on a plane for 8 hours

5,000 times under levels of concern

lapis
31st March 2011, 10:36 AM
hey Lapis,

Did you stockpile on potasium iodine tablets?

Major storm is coming here, we gonna get a lot of rain.

I have a small supply. My husband will make a dash to the border and get some if we need it. But it's only good for one type of radioactive iodine, right? I think there's at least two we need to worry about.

vacuum
31st March 2011, 10:38 AM

So let me ask a question. How did it get into the milk? This whole incident has only been going on for about 3 weeks. For it to get into milk, that means cows must have eaten contaminated grass, were milked, it was pasteurized, bottled, and transported to market. The jetstream takes, what, 3 - 5 days to get from Japan to here? So the contamination they're reporting might have been from just the initial explosion, which was reported to have released very little radiation. This doesn't bode well...

lapis
31st March 2011, 10:39 AM

take your pick

Not a concern to human health

well within safe limits

below acceptable limits

Safe

No concern

lower then background levels

Exposure lower then a dental xray

Exposure equal to a dental xray

Exposure slightly higher then a dental xray

Exposure less then someone would receive if they were flying on a plane for 8 hours

5,000 times under levels of concern

Being pummeled with nuclear propaganda is starting to work!

I am safe, there's no need to be concerned....the authorities have it all under control.... Zzzzz

lapis
31st March 2011, 10:40 AM
So the contamination they're reporting might have been from just the initial explosion, which was reported to have released very little radiation. This doesn't bode well...

You can say that again.

G2Rad
31st March 2011, 11:04 AM

yes it is. that's why it was proposed to use airplanes for seeding rain over Pacific to have the fallouts happen over ocean

PatColo
3rd April 2011, 07:20 AM
Nuclear whistleblowers: Stop lying about Fukushima (http://www.examiner.com/human-rights-in-national/nuclear-whistleblowers-stop-lying-about-fukushima)