PDA

View Full Version : Need help with excercise ideas

Heimdhal
30th March 2011, 09:40 AM
I really want to start getting in shape again and I need some help with doing that. But let me explain my situation.

As some know, I am moderatley disabled due to some medical complications resulting in severe nerve damage a few years back. I spent the better part of a year near bed ridden and packed on quite a lot of weight. I still have trouble with doing strenuous activities and am limited in the time I can spend doing them, as well as the amount of exertion I can put into them. However range of motion is unaffected, so that leaves more options open.

Im not new to fitness training by any means. I used to follow a good program when I was younger and had personal trainers etc. Its just been a long while.

I CAN lift heavy weights, but I usualy pay for it later with days of severe, mind numbin pain in my....problem area.... Things like squats, dead lifts, even bench presses are pretty much out because of the pain factor.

I'd like to start off mostly doing cardio and some upper body to get rid of the excess weight and get my stamina up. Im not a weak person by any means, but I could use some strength building. Im not looking for ripped muscles or toning though.

My wife and I go for walks at night, but infrequently. Diet I have taken care of, more or less. (Foods good, need to cut my portion sizes back signficantly, which Im workign on).

So, my fine GSUS fitness experts, if you were going to plan an exercise routine within the following guidlines for yourself, what would you do?

1970 silver art
30th March 2011, 09:57 AM
I do not consider myself a fitness expert by any stretch of the imagination and I am not overweight but the cardio exercise that I do 5 (sometimes 6) days a week is some walking. Since I have a fitness center at my workplace, I work out there. What I do is get on the treadmill and walk for 30-35 minutes at a speed of 4.5 MPH with the incline set at 4.5%. I also started lifting weights at the beginning of this year. I lift weights 5 days a week but I switch between upper body and lower body. For example, I do upper body on Mon., Wed., and Fri. And I do lower body on Tuesday and Thursday. I do situps 5 days a week. This has helped me reduce work-related stress and I feel much better when I get home from work.

EDIT: On Sunday, if the weather is nice, then I will also go out for a long walk outside and I will walk for 2-3 hours at a time. I feel physically tired afterwards but I feel great emotionally.

Heimdhal
30th March 2011, 10:04 AM
Walking is really the best way to go, and I try to get as much in as a I can, but our nights are so random that we dont always have the time to do our usualy 2-3 mile walk. I dont have space for a treadmill, but that would probably be the best option, as then I wouldnt have to wait till 10 at night to walk and having it be 90 degrees out and humid as all hell during the summer months (yes, even at that time of night, florida sucks)

k-os
30th March 2011, 10:10 AM
Walk on the beach. It's better than a normal walk on pavement. It will get your heart going faster, and your legs doing more. You can start on the sand near the water where it's packed tight, then go up to the fluffier sand for more leg and butt muscle work.

Other than tennis, which I can no longer play because I have played too much tennis (sigh) . . . walking on the beach is my favorite exercise. You get to see the beauty of the ocean, absorb some vitamin D, and there's usually a natural cooling breeze that does not always exist inland. Most of the time, when I think it's too hot to do any exercise, there is a surprising breeze on the beach. On the warmer days, you can cool off by dipping in the water or even add swimming into your routine once you have reached a plateau from walking.

Plus, if you go in the morning, there are always people there who actually say "hello", which is nice flashback to friendlier days. ;)

k-os
30th March 2011, 10:19 AM
Walking is really the best way to go, and I try to get as much in as a I can, but our nights are so random that we dont always have the time to do our usualy 2-3 mile walk. I dont have space for a treadmill, but that would probably be the best option, as then I wouldnt have to wait till 10 at night to walk and having it be 90 degrees out and humid as all hell during the summer months (yes, even at that time of night, florida sucks)

I don't know one single person who has purchased exercise equipment and actually used it as exercise equipment. Expensive, giant, ugly clothes hangars? Yes.

milehi
30th March 2011, 10:49 AM
Get a bike. It really doesn't matter which type when you're starting out. Get some moderate pedaling in three times a week for at least a half hour and go from there.

Heimdhal
30th March 2011, 11:17 AM
Get a bike. It really doesn't matter which type when you're starting out. Get some moderate pedaling in three times a week for at least a half hour and go from there.

The nature of my condition keeps me from being able to sit on a traditional bike seat. Maybe one of those pedal things you put on your floor maybe?

Down1
30th March 2011, 04:52 PM
Dumbell work maybe.
Those elastic bands kind of thingy.
Whatever you can do.
Muscle mass loss could be an issue for you if you don't do some form of muscle building.

Heimdhal
30th March 2011, 05:09 PM
I was thinking of dumbell stuff and even those elastic bands lol.

Whats a good balance with them though, as in a good routine?

Glass
30th March 2011, 05:22 PM

The nature of my condition keeps me from being able to sit on a traditional bike seat. Maybe one of those pedal things you put on your floor maybe?

How about a recumbent bike? They look very different. A lot of people around my area use them. Some are very low to the ground and some sit quite high. Then there are recumbant trikes that many paraplegics use but I have seen non affected people use them as well. Hand pedaling or foot pedaling.

Heimdhal
30th March 2011, 05:33 PM

How about a recumbent bike? They look very different. A lot of people around my area use them. Some are very low to the ground and some sit quite high. Then there are recumbant trikes that many paraplegics use but I have seen non affected people use them as well. Hand pedaling or foot pedaling.

Thats actualy a great idea. Ive been wanting to get back into biking. I used to bike for miles and miles and loved it. That oculd be the way to go. Now i just need to find a cheap one lol

sunnyandseventy
30th March 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm dealing with multiple issues including nerve pain. Getting into yoga has been a huge help to me. My body and mind feel much better.

mightymanx
30th March 2011, 06:18 PM
Sex lots of sex!

It is the enjoyable form of Pilates.

5+ times a day and you will be ripped in no time. Boosts the hell out of testosterone as an added benifit.

Heimdhal
30th March 2011, 07:09 PM
Sex lots of sex!

5+ times a day and you will be ripped in no time. Boosts the hell out of testosterone as an added benifit.

yeah....the nature of my problem makes that nigh impossible. Although, you are right and before I was a firm believe in that mode of exercise :P

mightymanx
30th March 2011, 07:27 PM
Sex lots of sex!

yeah....the nature of my problem makes that nigh impossible. Although, you are right and before I was a firm believe in that mode of exercise :P

Swiming is also a great low impact.

solid
31st March 2011, 04:55 AM
Heim, you could try going up and down stairs. That's a fantastic exercise, low impact, and really builds up the leg muscles while good cardio too. Start slow at a comfortable pace. I use to go to a local sports stadium and do this, before long I was adding a backpack with weight and even running up the stairs.

I'm another fan of pushups. You could incorporate both, as you are going up and down the stairs, drop and do some pushups at intervals.

You work your whole body that way.

muffin
31st March 2011, 09:19 AM
So many good ideas in this thread. Swimming is a really good one. It tones the whole body with NO impact.

But if that's not what you want, might I suggest ball exercises at home? My trainer used to beat me up with those. You can get any size ball and make an exercise out of it. Get some medicine balls (weighted balls) and really amp it up. This is just one link I found that talks about it. (http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/10-fun-moves-to-reshape-your-body-with-exercise-ball-workout) You can get a kid's toy ball or check out your local Goodwill for equipment. I found a brand new exercise ball at mine on the cheap.

Get your wife in on it if you can. A workout buddy is great to have. They encourage you to keep up with routines and they are great to have enhance workouts too.

Another thing that helped me, record what you do. Make a 'short circuit' with various exercises focusing on certain areas. I've been told that abs are the only thing that is ok to workout every day. Other areas (ie: legs/lower body, back, shoulders, etc) should be done one day and let rest the next. Make your circuits out to last maybe 20 - 30 minutes. Do short sets (maybe 10 reps at first) on each exercise and increase as you get more fit. Start slow. I'd workout something like twice a week to start (with walking as a supplement) then work up from there. Mix it up! I like to make it fun....

Large Sarge
31st March 2011, 09:24 AM
www.marklauren.com

great book

great program

I think it will agree with you, and your medical issues

p.s. no gym or equipment needed

although a good timer is recommended

www.gymboss.com