PDA

View Full Version : BP: We lost laptop with data on thousands of residents making claims

Serpo
1st April 2011, 04:45 AM
:ROFL:

BP says one of its employees lost a laptop containing personal data belonging to thousands of residents who filed claims for compensation after the Gulf oil spill.

The oil giant disclosed the potential data security breach to The Associated Press on Tuesday. But BP spokesman Curtis Thomas says the company doesn't have any evidence that claimants' personal information has been misused.

Thomas said the company mailed out letters Monday to roughly 13,000 people, notifying them that their data was in the computer.

The data belonged to individuals who filed claims with BP before the Gulf Coast Claims Facility took over the processing of claims in August. BP paid roughly $400 million in claims before the switch.

As of Tuesday, it had paid roughly $3.6 billion to 172,539 claimants.

http://www.wwl.com/BP--We-lost-laptop-with-data-on-thousands-of-resid/9505031

Ponce
1st April 2011, 06:16 AM
Got a letter from my healt insurance "Health Net" with the same deal.......thy will monitor my credit rating for two years for free.....

First post o the day.............good morning to one and all.

PS: But I'll be going back to bed ;D

Twisted Titan
1st April 2011, 12:40 PM
Why don't they lose the laptop will all the excutive pay agreements with management

Cobalt
1st April 2011, 01:14 PM
We can only hope that the laptop contained a few confidential memos as well and they are being released immediately.