PDA

View Full Version : I hate NICS

madfranks
1st April 2011, 12:17 PM
In my unreasonably long and difficult quest to secure my own Glock 17, I've been to gun shows and internet classifieds and local shops, all to no avail. So today I decided to start calling some of the gun shops that are a bit further out of my area just to see if I would have any luck. Well, one shop had one in stock, so I decided I'd make the trip out to pick it up. But I had a meeting with a client at lunchtime, so I gambled on being able to make it out and back in time. So I get there, and there's the beauty I've been waiting for, so I fill out the NICS paperwork and sit tight. A half hour goes by and I ask if it's done, and the guy says the system is really slow today and I might have to wait another half hour. So I do, but my time is running out and after waiting an hour and ten minutes I had to leave for my meeting. About a half hour later I get a call that it went through but now I can't get it due to work obligations. The paperwork they tell me is good for 30 days, but they don't hold guns for customers and he was honest with me and told me these are hot guns right now and my chances of it being there after the weekend are slim. Whatever, I hate NICS.

SLV^GLD
1st April 2011, 12:42 PM
Why can they not complete the sale over the phone and hold YOUR gun instead of THE gun?

sirgonzo420
1st April 2011, 12:49 PM
Why can they not complete the sale over the phone and hold YOUR gun instead of THE gun?

Exactly what I was thinking.

madfranks
1st April 2011, 01:24 PM
I pay cash. Either way I have to make the drive twice, which I just didn't want to do. I'm going to try and carve enough time to make it up there this weekend, and if I tell them I'm on my way to pick it up they'll hold it for me, but really my frustration is with the background check system which places an undue burden on us.

chad
3rd April 2011, 04:04 PM
if you don't pick it up within i **think** 3 days or so of clearing NICS, it expires, and you have to redo the whole process. not sure what the time frame is, it's 2 or 3 days i think.

Awoke
3rd April 2011, 05:13 PM
Well if it makes you feel any better, when I bought my G17, I had to drive 2 hours each way and I had to make the trip twice.

Once for the purchase, and once to pick it up after my paperwork went through.

It's worth the drive dude. If you're shooting a .40 cal glock now, and you start shooting a 9mm, you're going to find it a very nice switch.

madfranks
3rd April 2011, 06:52 PM
Well if it makes you feel any better, when I bought my G17, I had to drive 2 hours each way and I had to make the trip twice.

Once for the purchase, and once to pick it up after my paperwork went through.

It's worth the drive dude. If you're shooting a .40 cal glock now, and you start shooting a 9mm, you're going to find it a very nice switch.

Thanks for the story, at least I'm not the only one. I know it's not that big of a deal to make the drive twice, but I was psyched to get it that day. However, I did manage to carve the time out of my weekend and pick it up today, and I'm just happy to finally have it.

madfranks
3rd April 2011, 06:53 PM
Oh, and my other Glock is a .45, so the 9mm will be a different animal.

Awoke
3rd April 2011, 06:57 PM
You're gonna love it MadFranks. Good move, going back and getting it.

* high five *

Glass
4th April 2011, 05:09 AM
congrats. <up thumbs>

Awoke
4th April 2011, 07:20 PM

ACP or GAP?

Heimdhal
4th April 2011, 07:43 PM
now you need a holster!

if only you knew a guy who made them and offered discounts to board members....... 8)

madfranks
5th April 2011, 08:52 AM

ACP or GAP?

GAP. I saw your other thread on .45 vs .45 so I'll comment more there.

now you need a holster!

if only you knew a guy who made them and offered discounts to board members....... 8)

I know I know! However, I already have a holster that fits it, so if/when I need another one exclusively for my G17, you know I'll look for you. :-*