PDA

View Full Version : First Gun Purchase - Rifle vs. Handgun, Revolver vs. Automatic

gunDriller
3rd April 2011, 07:10 AM
I can feel that I'm about 2 months away from a gun purchase so I started collecting information about it.

I already had some real thorough firearms lessons, although the instructor started me out with some large-caliber firearms. Which made me realize that I need a smaller caliber, so I was thinking 9 millimeters, which is about .360 inches.

Yesterday I was talking to a non-salesman guy at a farm supply store that also sells ammunition.

He suggested a revolver over an automatic, because (he said) automatics can "stick" too easy.

6 bullets doesn't seem like enough, he said there are 8-bullet revolvers.

He suggested something like a Smith & Wesson .357, though he called it a .38. Makes me want to take a machinist's caliper into the store and start measuring bullet diameters.

I associate revolvers with the more "curved" grip, I like the longer grip of an automatic. He said you can get revolvers with the longer grip, to just get one that fits my hand.

Question #1 - What kind of revolver would you suggest ? Or an auto. if you think the "bullet sticking" is a non-issue. All of my lessons so far have been with auto's and shotguns.

Question #2 - How many bullets to budget for ? I was thinking as a round number, I should fire off 1000 rounds in order to become familiar with the gun, for example 10 separate training sessions where I fire 100 bullets each session.

Then I realize, that might be overkill. It looks like the bullets are about $20 per box of 50, so I should budget about $400 for bullets - 20 boxes worth. Then use 10 of the boxes during initial training.

My original thinking was, I can pick up a "cheap reliable gun" for $400.

The guy at the store said, it might be more, to budget $400 to $600.

So my budget is about $500 for the gun, $400 for the bullets.

midnight rambler
3rd April 2011, 12:59 PM
He suggested a revolver over an automatic, because (he said) automatics can "stick" too easy.

Utter nonsense. About 25 years or so years ago one of the gun mags (Guns and Ammo IIRC) did a torture test of a quality revolver (like a S&W) vs. an autoloader (like a Govt. Model). One at a time they put each piece in a cardboard box filled with dirt and they shook it vigorously in order to make sure the dirt got completely into all the nooks and crannies. Guess which one of the two jammed to the degree that it required a gunsmith to fully disassemble it and clean it to make it function again (as in firing a bullet), and which one still functioned and fired consecutive rounds with a little 'persuasion'. The results of that torture test raised quite a few eyebrows at the time.

Considering you're a complete noob and you need something which is 'universal', then I suggest you get a Glock 17 (9mm). Ammo is not as high as other calibers, it's easy to learn and manage because the recoil isn't so 'excessive' that it "makes one flinch" (ask Book about that lol). Glocks are extremely reliable, are very forgiving relative to lack of care (just don't shoot unjacketed lead cast [reloaded] bullets through the OEM Glock barrel, if you plan on doing that you need to get an aftermarket barrel which has standard rifling vs. the polygonal rifling of the OEM Glock barrels), and a very good value. I would suggest you find a good used Glock 17 2nd or 3rd generation as those can be found as police trade-ins for less than $400. Nothing wrong with a used Glock, in fact the savings could be applied to quality night sights and/or a lighter trigger setup. With the +2 magazine extension you can have a pistol which holds 20 rounds.

While I'm not a big fan of the 9mm, it has its place and there's plenty of specialty personal defense ammo available which helps the 9mm with its shortcomings.

midnight rambler
3rd April 2011, 01:17 PM
Frankly, Glocks are not my most favorite pistols, but one cannot argue with success. Being the practical sort I am I rely on Glock pistols despite the less than optimum ergonomics, being made of plastic, and a weird-ass trigger that reminds me of plastic toy dart guns I had as a kid.

The fellow who couldn't manage to fuck up his Glock 21 to the point of failure despite all his best efforts

G21 goes on a road trip -
http://theprepared.com/images/guns/glocks/g21test/roadtrippic.jpg

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

Heimdhal
3rd April 2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks midnight, I was actualy going to post that very same link. THAT is a serious, serious, serious torture test above and beyond all conceivable and rational abuse you would give your gun.

I would suggest, as Midnight either a glock 17 or 19. I'd suggest a glock 19 if you plan on CCWing as its just a little easier to conceal and still a good, service sized weapon with good mag capacity. I carry a 19 when I dont carry my compact 45 (of a different company). Mags are cheap and if you hate the trigger you can get a ghost trigger, which is like freaking butter and worth the money.

9mm has come leaps in bounds in terms of stopping powder. Nearly any of the 124 to 147 gr JHP rated at +P will be on par with the bigger boys. I feel quite confident when I carry my g19 as I do when i carry my .45. Profficiency is the man factor. practice, practice and practice.

Revolvers have their place, but not as your first and main go-to gun IMO. A .357 rated revolver can also shoot .38 Spc, which is what he meant. .357 for defense, .38 spc for practice, as its cheaper. Still, not the best option for you though.

First gun, if you dont have one, get a shotgun. Hard to go wrong with an Rem. 870 or Mossberg 500. Either will give you lifelong level of service and last through nearly anything you can throw at it. Versitle for everything from sport shooting, to hunting, to SHTF zombie defence.

THEN get a good handgun to carry in your car, on your body or on the night stand. ;)

NOOB
3rd April 2011, 02:55 PM
If you are going to practice with the gun get a pistol, if not, get a revolver. By practice I mean on a consistent interval ( not shoot 50 rounds every year or so). If the pistol don't go bang there a few different reasons why and you should be practiced in the steps to rectify said non bang.

With a revolver you have one choice ----- wait for it------ pull the trigger again.

JMHO

chad
3rd April 2011, 04:02 PM
you can shoot either .357 or .38 in a .357.

.38 at the range, .357 when you want to kill a large target.

hoarder
3rd April 2011, 05:16 PM
you can shoot either .357 or .38 in a .357.

.38 at the range, .357 when you want to kill a large target.
But the point of impact will be way off when you switch from one to another. 357 is unbelievable loud, fire it once without hearing protection and you'll remember it the rest of your life. A .38 special revolver is an excellent first handgun.

Usually, I carry revolvers if I anticipate four legged targets and semi-autos if I anticipate two legged targets.

I would not recommend a Glock as a first gun. There have been too many accidental discharges with Glocks. They are durable and a good value, though.
I would get a Sig P226, older German model if possible. If not, some other decocker without a safety.
Eventually you'll have several handguns and going from auto to revolver and back can be confusing with Glocks and 1911's.

Awoke
3rd April 2011, 05:25 PM
Buy a Glock.

A million cops can't be wrong, and don't forget: They used to carry revolvers.

Not any more, hint hint.

Awoke
3rd April 2011, 05:28 PM
My next 9mm is going to be either a Taurus 809 or a Springfield XD(m).
Maybe a Taurus PT24/7 G2 if they are available buy the time I am in the market.

undgrd
3rd April 2011, 05:32 PM
Sorry but I have to go against the grain here. I'd avoid the Glock. Something not right about having to pull the trigger to take down the weapon.

I'd recommend a XDM in 9mm with 147 Grain Speer Gold Dots for defense.

Heimdhal
3rd April 2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry but I have to go against the grain here. I'd avoid the Glock. Something not right about having to pull the trigger to take down the weapon.

I'd recommend a XDM in 9mm with 147 Grain Speer Gold Dots for defense.

Yes, but you have to pull the slide back first.

All this stuff about ND's, Glock Leg, etc etc is 100% user error. These guns dont just randomly go off by themselves. Some one was doing something they aught'n. Chief among them, not keeping their bugger hook off the bang switch.

Lets not intimidate a new gun owner by saying "OMG THE GUN IS GOING TO KILL EVERYONE IF YOU LOOK AT IT FUNNY." A glock is a fine choice for a handgun and if you could have only one, that much more so. Thats not to say there arent plenty of other good choices out there, but when I think SHTF weapons, glock is the first to pop into my head as far as sidearms go.

Practice is the key. Perfect practice, idealy. When a person is intimatley familiar with his weapon and teh safe handling of it, risk is minimized to near zero.

midnight rambler
3rd April 2011, 06:48 PM
All this stuff about ND's, Glock Leg, etc etc is 100% user error.

The Glock design has THREE safeties, not one or two, built into it, hence the name Glock 'Safe Action' System. Naturally the key is keeping one's finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

http://www.glock.com/english/pistols_adv01.htm

The reasons I suggest a Glock to noobs is because it could not possibly be more uncomplicated, it's extremely reliable, it withstands more abuse than your usual user can throw at it, and it's an excellent value. And if one buys a Glock in .40 S&W (or .357 Sig) one can have three different pistol calibers (.40, .357 Sig, and 9mm) with one gun simply by purchasing a couple of extra aftermarket barrels (and 9mm mags).

All that said, the next .45 I buy will be a XD because it fits my hand better than a Glock 21.

Glass
3rd April 2011, 07:56 PM
I don't have a glock but I think I would recommend it as a SHTF tool. As others have said, the design is proven. It works and would have to be the most available auto hand gun out there today. This is good for ease of getting parts. It also means that if the world does climb in to that hand basket in the way to hell, the chances are that any handgun salvaged from some one who's already "left the building" will be something you are familiar with, that you know how to handle, clean and reload.

I would have one if I were able to more easily obtain firearms. My 2nd handgun would be an XD because they are just a shit hot pistol IMO followed by a glock as #3. If the fan starts copping it then the glock would be primary carry.

Just for interests sake what is the current USMC or regular forces sidearm?

Heimdhal
3rd April 2011, 09:10 PM
I don't have a glock but I think I would recommend it as a SHTF tool. As others have said, the design is proven. It works and would have to be the most available auto hand gun out there today. This is good for ease of getting parts. It also means that if the world does climb in to that hand basket in the way to hell, the chances are that any handgun salvaged from some one who's already "left the building" will be something you are familiar with, that you know how to handle, clean and reload.

I would have one if I were able to more easily obtain firearms. My 2nd handgun would be an XD because they are just a shit hot pistol IMO followed by a glock as #3. If the fan starts copping it then the glock would be primary carry.

Just for interests sake what is the current USMC or regular forces sidearm?

The berretta m9.

I'd take a glock over it hands down.

Awoke
3rd April 2011, 10:57 PM
You know, they are all competetive with each other.
I shoot Glock 17, Taurus OSS, the S&W M&P and CZ shadow, STI 1911 and they're all great. No one can say "This or that is better", unless you are talking about specific failures and have proof. The Glock Torture tests speak volumes, but I wonder how any of the other guns I shoot would hold up?
I suspect that they would all do fine, except for maybe the shadow, because I have experienced some FTF's and FTE's with it when firing reloaded ammo.

GunDriller, I have to ask, why did you choose the name GunDriller? I mean, ever since I have seen you on this forum, I assumed you were a total gun nut, because of your name. I figured you had a bunch of firearms and did nothing but combat drills with them all the time. lol

Anyways, everyone has their own opinions, but Glock is a safe bet.

SWRichmond
4th April 2011, 07:15 AM
You obviously know very little about guns. Your first job, therefore, is knowledge and experience.

This also means that you won't be capable any time soon of engaging in any pitched gunbattles, unlike some of the guys here who buy 34 round magazines for their glocks and imagine themselves banging their way through a crowd of zombies. So forget about the semi-auto vs revolver stuff and arguments about number of rounds before reloading. For any firearm to be useful in a defensive situation you must be confident in its use. It must be familiar to you. You must understand it, it cannot be a mystery. If you are new to guns and are not going to shoot a lot, buy a .357 mag revolver. They are simple to operate, simple to clear / demonstrate safe, and you can use cheaper .38 special ammo for practice and higher powered .357 mag ammo for defense.

The fact that PDs issue Glocks is a reliable indicator of absolutely nothing other than the marketing effectiveness of Glock Inc. and the shocking fact that "cool factor" is a major influence with the under-35 set that grew up on video games. I've seen lots of cops shoot. Most of them can't hit anything. That's why they fire so many rounds in a confrontation: spray and pray, just like the nuckleheads in youtube videos robbing convenience stores.

First gun? Spend a lot of time shooting it. I like your 1,000 round training idea. Remember, if you ever have to fire the thing in self defense your heart is going to be jumping out of your chest while you do it. You want it to be a natural and familiar set of actions.

SLV^GLD
4th April 2011, 09:09 AM
One solid reason to consider a revolver is if you expect other members of your family may have to pick it up in YOUR defense. Automatic pistols all carry peculiarities not as generally found in revolvers. Learn to shoot one revolver and you can pretty much operate ANY revolver. If at first it does not go bang just try again. Also, the way revolvers are configured places the action forward of the hand and is demonstrably easier to hit the target for the average shooter.

That said, I personally carry an automatic pistol and I have another set of automatic pistols on each nightstand and there's a Remington 870 on my wife's side of the bed. No revolvers. But then, my wife and I both do as SWRichmond outlines above.

midnight rambler
4th April 2011, 10:08 AM
One solid reason to consider a revolver is if you expect other members of your family may have to pick it up in YOUR defense.

Having any family/household member not familiar enough with handguns to the degree of not being able operate something as simple as a Glock is inexcusable imo (I mean REALLY - what's difficult to teach about inserting a mag and racking the slide???). If someone can barely manage to pull the trigger on a revolver due to inexperience, what in the world leads you to believe that they have any chance at all of connecting with a shot under stressfire???

SLV^GLD
4th April 2011, 10:33 AM
Having any family/household member not familiar enough with handguns...
I said my wife and I both do as SWRichmond outlines above

...to the degree of not being able operate something as simple as a Glock is inexcusable imo (I mean REALLY - what's difficult to teach about inserting a mag and racking the slide???).I didn't say it is difficult. I am implying that for someone completely inexperienced in actually using guns the revolver naturally works better, especially under stress.

If someone can barely manage to pull the trigger on a revolver due to inexperience, what in the world leads you to believe that they have any chance at all of connecting with a shot under stressfire???
I'll take my chances. Imagine this scenario; I have friends stay over my house for a weekend. During this weekend the house is invaded by multiple gun-wielding assailants. My wife and I spring into action but I am taken down by a shot to the shoulder and to the leg. I'm alive but out of action so my wife is just providing cover fire to keep me alive. The friends are in the guest bedroom and the 1st night I provided them a firearm to use in just such a situation. Now, do I want them trying to remember all the fun things I showed them about my auto pistol or do I want them pick up a revolver and have the best chance of making a hit because of the design of the gun? With the auto they may well forget if the safety is on or off and how to operate it when it matters most. They may limp wrist the shot and the action not cycle the next round correctly (def happens with glocks). The 1st round may be a factory dud, hope they don't freeze up or make a mistake cycling to the next round. Oh, yeah, hope they are correctly handed and hold it just right so they don't accidentally eject the magazine which happens to a lot of new shooters.

No matter how you dice it the revolver is the simpler gun. It is easier to hit the target for the novice. There are less points of failure and less things to operate. I'm not advocating OP purchase a revolver I am simply pointing out the facts to be considered by someone who has already stated that they are less than experienced with guns.

It doesn't matter what I am led to believe when I can't defend myself. I want the person who is defending me to have every opportunity they can to do so. In regards to revolvers versus auto pistols the only additional opportunity comes in the form of magazine capacity, not in simplified functionality.

mightymanx
4th April 2011, 11:01 AM
Next up is the time honored:

AR-15 vs AK-47 debate
Followed by
1911 vs Glock
then to cap it off Ford vs Chevy.

If I had a merc dime for everyone of these threads.....

sirgonzo420
4th April 2011, 11:47 AM

AR-15 vs AK-47 debate
Followed by
1911 vs Glock

You forgot 9mm vs 45!

SWRichmond
4th April 2011, 11:52 AM

AR-15 vs AK-47 debate
Followed by
1911 vs Glock

You forgot 9mm vs 45!

9 is for pussies. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sparky
4th April 2011, 12:20 PM
Imagine this scenario; I have friends stay over my house for a weekend. During this weekend the house is invaded by multiple gun-wielding assailants. My wife and I spring into action but I am taken down by a shot to the shoulder and to the leg. I'm alive but out of action so my wife is just providing cover fire to keep me alive. The friends are in the guest bedroom and the 1st night I provided them a firearm to use in just such a situation.

Wow. I'll give you credit for thinking through a scenario for why you are armed in the first place. I have trouble trying to envision realistic scenarios in my neck of the woods. Five years ago I wouldn't have imagined owning a gun, but this forum convinced me that I don't want to be without one in case things turn ugly. But I'm not sure what that really means yet. Am I defending myself against home assailants, or angry mobs, or some newly formed Gestapo, or am I shooting animals in the woods because there's no meat to buy at the store? I think all are unlikely, yet all are possible. Firearm ownership is the biggest influence this site has had on me.

Just to let you know how different people are here, if I were to offer guns to house guests, they would think I'm f'ing nuts, and almost certainly refuse them, and probably have second thoughts about staying at my house in the first place. If you're going to provide your friends with a revolver instead of a semi because they are not gun-saavy, then isn't the most likely scenario that they lock themselves in their room until they don't hear any more shooting?

SLV^GLD
4th April 2011, 12:52 PM
I come from a family lineage of gun ownership. In my family getting your first gun is a rite of passage as is taking your first game. Most of my friends are like minded but the ones who aren't are at least open minded. I take great pride in being a responsible and safe gun owner. I have assisted in the conversion of several anti-gunners simply through good example. Some people are completely surprised to learn I carry daily everywhere. Others are totally floored at how much fun they had shooting guns they previously thought inherently dangerous and evil. Negative perceptions on gun ownership are generally perpetrated built on flimsy arguments bolstered by sheer ignorance and inexperience none of which should be blamed on the believer himself. I simply strive to challenge the perceptions with real world experience and example and let the believer make his choices.

To answer the question about locking yourself behind a door until the shooting stops my response is if you are hiding behind that door you don't know whose gun was the last fired so you don't know who is on the other side of the door still capable of unloading some more rounds. In that case, I suggest you at least pick up the gun I so thoughtfully left for you and make sure you identify who comes through the door before pulling the trigger. Making the gun available to a guest isn't a requirement that they even touch it but just to let them know it's there if they feel they need it.

I like to think of guns as fire extinguishers. I don't sit around and fret about my house catching fire and I hope I NEVER have to use my fire extinguisher but I know how to use one and I have multiples and they are all loaded. It's a good idea to let your trusted guests know where the fire extinguishers are in case they are in the position to use them when you are not.

I despise when people make bad examples of gun owners because they set the stage for irrational (or not) fears of all of gun owners.

Heimdhal
4th April 2011, 01:21 PM
If the extremly simple opertation of loading a semi-auto pistol is too much to handle, then I would seriously doubt the abilities of the person to be able to safley aim and squeeze the 12 pound trigger of a .357 and actualy hit what they are aiming at instead of me. ::)

hoarder
4th April 2011, 04:40 PM
If the extremly simple opertation of loading a semi-auto pistol is too much to handle, then I would seriously doubt the abilities of the person to be able to safley aim and squeeze the 12 pound trigger of a .357 and actualy hit what they are aiming at instead of me. ::)
None of my revolvers have a double action pull over 8 pounds. Another advantage of revolvers is many of them have very light single action pull...like 2 1/2 or 3 pounds. This is much better for long shots when you need a rifle but only have a handgun. You can do trigger work on semi-autos as well as revolvers, but since revolvers are not autos, trigger jobs are not nearly as problematic.

Heimdhal
4th April 2011, 06:43 PM
None of my revolvers have a double action pull over 8 pounds. Another advantage of revolvers is many of them have very light single action pull...like 2 1/2 or 3 pounds. This is much better for long shots when you need a rifle but only have a handgun. You can do trigger work on semi-autos as well as revolvers, but since revolvers are not autos, trigger jobs are not nearly as problematic.

I believe revolvers have their place and certainly shouldnt be discounted, but to me a Glock or xd, or w/e is as simple and easy to use as a revolver, so if you had only once choice and one choice only, semi auto or revovler, I'd go with the semi auto first and THEN a revolver, especialy if someone isnt going to use it on a regular basis.

A 9mm glock is a fast, high capacity hand gunw ith a low bore axis to the grip, easy to function, easy to reload, easy to maintain and works as good for a newbie as it does for a pro. Thats my only position. Im not saying revovlers DONT have those things, Im just an auto loader guy myself, I suppose ;)

Practice is the key. W/e anyone gets, know it and know it well and use it regularly and you wont be underarmed. DRY FIRE DRY FIRE DRY FIRE!

Awoke
4th April 2011, 07:20 PM
You wanna defend your home, get a combat shotgun.

You want to have a carry piece, buy a gun a learn to use it.

Half Sense
4th April 2011, 08:33 PM

"Extremely simple operation" is relative. The one time I needed my automatic pistol in the dead of night, I immediately rendered it useless because for some reason while half asleep I did not remember the exact state I had left the controls in years earlier. I promptly jammed the weapon and fortunately the mistake didn't cost me my life. I've been a revolver person ever since, and probably won't look back. Let's just say I'm mentally challenged. I'd rather just pull the trigger than try to remember which button does what, or what button I might have pushed months or years ago that could mean the difference between living and dying.

Sure, I know most of you (and me too - now) would never go that long without checking and verifying the state of your HD weapon. All I'm saying is, it is generally 2 extra things to think about (Is the safety on? Is there one in the chamber?) that revolver guys do not have to think about. It can make a big big difference. Inexperienced revolver guy gets off all 6 shots while inexperienced auto guy poops his pants after he drops his mag in the street. Just sayin'.

Glass
5th April 2011, 04:34 AM
You guys make a good case for a revolver as a night stand defence because lets face it. It's not the movies and we are going to be fumbling if caught by surprise. Getting jumped in the street is the same kind of deal. A no fumble option is good. If you can see something developing you might have time to touch check where you are at. Otherwise you might find yourself going for it on reflex. What ever you choose you should be putting a bit of time into some training or handling drills for each type you have. These threads always follow the same lines don't they? Entertaining and I'm learning quite a bit.

midnight rambler
5th April 2011, 10:25 AM
All of the combat veterans with experience on the two way range promoting a revolver over a high capacity auto pistol sound off.

NOOB
5th April 2011, 10:37 AM
All of the combat veterans with experience on the two way range promoting a revolver over a high capacity auto pistol sound off.

I don't think the op is preparing for his tour in the sandbox. Sounds like a new to be gun owner with no experience. If he doesn't catch the shooting bug he probably will not practice often enough or practice the right things.

Which do you think is easier for a new gun owner with no training is the question.

Awoke
5th April 2011, 11:48 AM

That's not going to happen.

Anyone who watches any instructional video by any professional will see that they always suggest a semi auto over a wheel gun.

midnight rambler
5th April 2011, 12:03 PM
This is identical to the last combat revolvers I owned -

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u299/DrumJunkie63/Mod25-2_3.jpg

Now THIS is a genuine combat revolver. This one is a N frame S&W 25-2 in .45 ACP custom worked by John Jovino, it's called the 'Effector'. I had a John Jovino Effector and one that was identical to it customized by Reeves Junket(sp?), former rangemaster at the DPS handgun range. Both of them had the scariest DA triggers I've ever experienced, super smooth and light to the extreme. In side by side comparisons with a Govt. Model .45 they are the exact same dimensions except for the width due to the cylinder. They were fun guns, but for serious combat an autoloader, even a 7+1 Govt. Model, is far superior. I sold both of them in '89 when I saw the direction things were headed (one I sold to a Texas Ranger who snapped it up for $500 the very instant I showed it to him, he couldn't get his cash out fast enough).

midnight rambler
5th April 2011, 12:12 PM
Which do you think is easier for a new gun owner with no training is the question.

A noob shooting double action in rapid fire is going to be at a big disadvantage. An autoloader with a consistent single action trigger pull is going to be far easier for a noob to master.

There is really no good reason for a noob to give preference to buying a revolver over an auto.

NOOB
5th April 2011, 12:29 PM

A noob shooting double action in rapid fire is going to be at a big disadvantage. An autoloader with a consistent single action trigger pull is going to be far easier for a noob to master.

There is really no good reason for a noob to give preference to buying a revolver over an auto.

If you are going to train with it(easier for a noob to MASTER) I agree. If you don't practice, that smooth as silk single action will have similar results. Then add in light strike or dud ammo, double feed, stovepipe etc.

Tap rack bang is easy when you have done it repeatedly. Not so much if you have not.

midnight rambler
5th April 2011, 12:39 PM
If you don't practice, that smooth as silk single action will have similar results.

Are you suggesting a newb should fire single action only with a revolver, or even that a newb should purchase a single action revolver?

I submit it will take far more practice/training to get tight groups shooting double action with a revolver than it would with an auto with a 3-4# trigger.

NOOB
5th April 2011, 01:56 PM
If you don't practice, that smooth as silk single action will have similar results.

Are you suggesting a newb should fire single action only with a revolver, or even that a newb should purchase a single action revolver?

I submit it will take far more practice/training to get tight groups shooting double action with a revolver than it would with an auto with a 3-4# trigger.

No, I was referring to the single action on a semi auto pistol. It would have the same results as the double action revolver.
I agree with your submission, it makes my point. training training training

No training for either and you can forget groups. No training for either and the revolver is simpler for an untrained person to use. Point and shoot, It doesn't go off pull trigger again.

I am not talking about someone who will train with it. I carry a semi auto now after years carrying a revolver. I also shoot and dry fire some. Practice malfunctions etc.

Awoke
5th April 2011, 11:19 PM
OMG, just go buy a Glock, GunDriller.

Heimdhal
6th April 2011, 05:32 AM
I concur with Awoke.

Awoke
9th April 2011, 01:42 PM
If I was to buy another Glock, it would definately be the olive green if I could find one. I love the look of them!

Gaillo
9th April 2011, 02:00 PM
gunDriller,

2 quick points - in response to your OP, not necessarily all that followed (although there is some GREAT advice in this thread!)

First off, if the title of this thread is an indication, this will be your first EVER gun purchase? If so, I would like to throw out a suggestion that you look into a shotgun - THE most versatile, easy to use, and probably most lethal (depending on load) of all the firearms. The only things a shotgun does NOT do well is concealability, and long range.

Second, as many posters here have correctly pointed out, your salesman is DEAD WRONG about the reliability of revolvers vs. slide semi-autos. Many studies have shown the exact opposite of what he told you, with the exception of only one I'm aware of (citing arctic conditions where slide freezing vs. cylinder freezing favored the revolver).

If you are not planning on becoming a "gun nut" and buying a bunch more, I would suggest that, along with the Glock, you also look into Sig Sauer handguns - I used to be a Glock nut, but I've long since traded/sold all of my Glocks in order to obtain Sigs. I think that highly of them.

Final thought - and not to start yet another caliber debate, but I need to throw this in: For defensive handgun use, 9 is fine. Nothing wrong with the 9mm Luger cartridge - it has a lot going for it and a very good track record as a defensive round.

Good luck!

Buddha
15th April 2011, 11:48 PM
Might get it up the ass for this but... If money is a factor get a S&W Sigma. Almost the same as a Glock, Glock actually sued them because the design is almost exactly the same. I've done a ton of research and hear that it's very reliable. The only con is that it has a very long trigger pull, akin to a double action revolver. I have seen lots of YT videos that show you exactly how to take out the pig-tail spring and ease that problem, which takes about 15 minutes. They run for about $300. I was going to pick one up today, but I have to wait something with my background check. :oo-->

mightymanx
16th April 2011, 07:44 AM
The grip[ angle is diffrent from Glocks this is why Sigmas drive me nuts other than that they are a fine pistol.