PDA

View Full Version : .45 Vs .45

Awoke
5th April 2011, 02:54 AM
Just wondering if anyone here has experience shooting Glock or Springfeilds in both .45 calibers, meaning 45 ACP and 45 GAP.

I would like to know the differences between the two, if any, from a shooters perspective.

madfranks
5th April 2011, 09:50 AM
I own both .45 ACP and .45 GAP firearms, but they're not from the same manufacturers, so what I can tell you about the differences may not be solely due to the caliber, but could also be due to the different designs in the firearms as well. My .45 ACP is a Colt Combat Commander, and my .45 GAP is a Glock model 38. The Combat Commander is not quite a full size 1911 design (3/4" shorter barrel), and the G38 is the compact version of the full size G37, so both firearms make for great & powerful conceal carry, which was one of the main factors in getting each one.

To understand a bit about the .45 GAP, read this: (http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/new_45/)

Okay, how did they do it? How did they get full-length .45 ACP performance in what many are already calling a “.45 Short”? The simple answer is: intelligent use of new-generation advanced propellants, which allow the production of higher velocities from smaller cases without excessive pressure, compared to previously available propellant technology.

It's actually an application of the same principle that has permitted the development of the new generation of “short magnum” cartridges in high-power rifle ammunition--new propellants that provide the same (or greater) velocity and energy from short-action cases, as previously available only in long-action cases.

It must have been almost two years ago, but I took them both out with the express purpose of seeing how different they acted. In both pistols I used American Eagle 230 grain FMJ bullets - they came in both ACP and GAP calibers so this way the ammo would be as close to the same as possible. Of course, the ACP is bigger, and the GAP is smaller, so intuitively I expected more power from the Colt, but I actually felt like I was getting more power coming from the Glock. The G38 is a smaller pistol in almost every regard (the frame is closer to a 9mm design) yet it had less felt recoil than the Colt, maybe due to the smaller round. From what I've read and charts I've seen, ballistically the GAP is, at worst, equal to the ACP but in many cases better, so it was somewhat confusing why the recoil felt stronger in the Colt. I can only guess it has to do with the pistol design rather than the caliber.

The downsides to owning a GAP pistol is that it's just not popular and has not taken off the way it might have. The ACP is tested and true and has a strong history proving it's value, while the GAP, while a step ahead technologically, is still treated like the bastard child of the .45 caliber.

In short, I prefer my Glock 38 to the Colt, because I feel I'm getting better performance. I had thought about getting the full size G37, but for conceal carry the G38 is awesome. Sometimes I regret buying a GAP firearm because not everyone stocks GAP ammo, and if/when SHTF, that caliber is most likely gone.

Awoke
5th April 2011, 11:52 AM
Thank you very much MadFranks. That is the kind of info I was looking for.

I am considering at new Glock in either GAP or ACP, and I wasn't sure what to think. I really like the idea of the GAP being smaller, allowing for a smaller handle design, etc. What I should do is price out the ammo here, and go hold one at the shop. One of each that is.