PDA

View Full Version : any good books on buying rental properties??

Large Sarge
7th April 2011, 05:54 AM
hi folks,
was wondering if anyone had read any good books on this topic?

Thanks for any help,
Best,
LS

Silver Shield
7th April 2011, 06:10 AM
LS- At the risk of not knowing why you are looking into this subject... I worked in foreclosure investment field for the past two years and I can tell you if you are not in real estate already... Stay out. I know some pretty heavy hitters who have been eliminating their portfolio and only doing flips.

The believe in general that there is another huge leg down right around the corner. Interest rates are going to rise and maintenance and tax cost are going to go up significantly.

And into the factor that renters are facing a less secure job market. Throw in political instability, dollar collapse, food and fuel sky rocketing...

You should listen to the most powerful Joo of all time and "buy when there is blood on the street" if you want to get into the real estate market.

To answer your question I really like the Rich Dad Poor Dad series I think they had one on landlording...

hoarder
7th April 2011, 06:19 AM
I had rent houses years ago and did OK at it, but wouldn't do it again. There are way too many redistributionist laws to trap you. Here's an example: If a tenant decides to go through bankruptcy, he/she can live in your house for free one year because the gubmint sez so.

A much better deal is mini-storage units. They pay almost the same per square foot as rent houses and the lessees have few rights. No plumbing, no CHA, no water lines, no clogged sewers....just pay of GTF out.
But as SS mentioned, now is not the time to dive in.

Large Sarge
7th April 2011, 06:22 AM
Oh I am not in it now, not even looking at properties.

I just want to stay ahead of the curve when this gold/silver bulls dies, and be "well read" on the next one

Buying cheap real estate with over valued silver and gold

I just need to read and research real estate more, beofre we actually get there.

just doing my homework....

;)

hoarder
7th April 2011, 06:33 AM
If there is ever another bull market in real estate, you can make a bundle if you're shrewd.
There is income-producing property and non-income-producing property.
Income properties are largely banker subsidized and very competitive in terms of other broke and banker dependent investors trying to enlarge their portfolios.
Non-income properties like land are difficult to finance because bankers want no part in them. Unlike income properties, real steals can be found and negotiated. This is a good opportunity for cash investors. I have more than doubled my money on several land deals after holding them a year or two. The best buyers are adjacent property owners.
This only works in a bull market.

gunDriller
7th April 2011, 07:12 AM
Oh I am not in it now, not even looking at properties.

I just want to stay ahead of the curve when this gold/silver bulls dies, and be "well read" on the next one

Buying cheap real estate with over valued silver and gold

I just need to read and research real estate more, beofre we actually get there.

just doing my homework....

;)

one idea is to buy forest land that receives a tax break but can be sub-divided. when it's subdivided it loses the tax break, if it becomes commercial or farmland or "normal home" residential.

buy as forest land, convert to farm land, sell to Silicon Valley worker who thinks $250K to $500K for a semi-rural homestead is a great deal.

Large Sarge
7th April 2011, 07:32 AM
thanks for all the insights and replies

and I think food production on some level will probably do really well, if you can show/advertise "organic non-GMO, etc"

the food supply is under assault (largely intentional IMO)

anyway just looking ahead, trying to think of an exit

mick silver
7th April 2011, 02:24 PM
i am all out of rental right now . i sold my last house to the renter over a year ago . i see stuff that cheap but i just dont think buying right now is good . plus i like land alot better . you can lease to hunter , cut the wood for lumber are just let it seat there .

Twisted Titan
7th April 2011, 11:26 PM
Now add Commercial Rental properties to the mixx with the same dynamics in place just add more zeros.

Do you know what you get???

Neuro
7th April 2011, 11:55 PM
Renting out farmland could be a good business.

gunDriller
8th April 2011, 06:08 AM
Renting out farmland could be a good business.

that's exactly what Farmland LLC does.

they buy land in the Rogue River Valley, where there's plenty of distress sales, and rent it out. Jason Bradford is one of the managers, he also brought in a Jewish money guy. and they couche the deal in terms of "saving the world"/ helping the planet.

hoarder
8th April 2011, 06:15 AM
Renting out your farmland is like renting out your wife. When you get it back it's damaged goods.

At this stage in the decline of the West, a better strategy is to buy a small independent non-commercial farmstead that was never ruined by big ag.