PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooler's review of the "Waiting for Superman" movie

lapis
9th April 2011, 12:52 AM
http://freelearner.typepad.com/free_learner/2011/04/waiting-for-superman.html

That's the title of a documentary (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1566648/)[watch the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKTfaro96dg)] about failing schools in inner city neighborhoods. It's stirred up a lot of criticism because it blames the failure of these schools largely on teacher's unions, and because it gives an intentionally distorted view of the success of charter schools. 80% of charter schools are the same or worse (http://www.thenation.com/article/154986/grading-waiting-superman) than their public school counterparts, but those featured in the film happen to be wildly successful.

Partway through the film, Bill Gates suddenly shows up. The second I saw him on screen the hair stood up on the back of my neck and I realized I'd been had. My brain clicked into gear on the topic: Identify the hidden agenda. And I think the ulterior motive can be summarized as "Megacorp wants to raise your children." Not only does this documentary argue that schools should be privatized, but also that kids should be going to school all year round, 8 hours a day, or-- better yet, as featured in the film-- to boarding schools. Why not just imprison your future workers from middle school on, and put them in corporate-run "boarding schools" which can provide "better educational outcomes" than kids left at home in inner city neighborhoods? All for the good of the kiddies, right? And toward the destruction of their families and communities.

[This isn't really new, I suppose. We owe K-12 schooling to Rockefellers and Carnegies and their ilk, who still exercise a great deal of control through their foundations. And we've seen a constant expansion of hours spent in schools over the past century, most recently with the disappearance of half-day kindergarten in favor of full-day kindergarten.]

Anyone who homeschools knows that it doesn't take that much time to teach math and reading. Kids do not need to go to school 8 hours a day all year in order to learn. The people who want children locked away for their entire childhoods are at best useful idiots; more likely, they like the economic benefits of free child care; at worst (here I'm thinking of Gates and other elites), they're hoping to re-shape society according to whatever utopian zealotry they're currently prey to.

Hidden agendas aside, it's a heartbreaking film. It follows a few bright, thoughtful kids as they're consigned to schools that will decimate their chances for attaining a college degree and/or a comfortable life. Or, in some cases, they're not consigned, because they were holding a lucky number at the lottery. The randomness, however intellectually defensible it may be, feels like an outrage when you're waiting to see if these kids get the luck of the draw. And the rotten schools are breath-takingly rotten-- high schools where the incoming students have a 3rd grade reading level on average, and a very solid majority never graduate.

The kids in these neighborhoods are mostly going to stay in these neighborhoods, or ones like them. The idea that public schooling is a force for equality has no empirical standing as far as I can see. Consider, by contrast, the results from a 2009 sample of over 11,000 homeschooling students, from all 50 states, who took standardized tests through one of 15 different testing services. They were scored on reading, language, and math, and these results were combined into a "core" score. Some of the results (http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/200908100.asp):

There was little difference between the results of homeschooled boys and girls on core scores.

Boys—87th percentile
Girls—88th percentile

Household income had little impact on the results of homeschooled students.

$34,999 or less—85th percentile
$35,000–$49,999—86th percentile
$50,000–$69,999—86th percentile
$70,000 or more—89th percentile

The education level of the parents made a noticeable difference, but the homeschooled children of non-college educated parents still scored in the 83rd percentile, which is well above the national average.

Neither parent has a college degree—83rd percentile
One parent has a college degree—86th percentile
Both parents have a college degree—90th percentile

Whether either parent was a certified teacher did not matter.

Certified (i.e., either parent ever certified)—87th percentile
Not certified (i.e., neither parent ever certified)—88th percentile

Parental spending on home education made little difference.

Spent $600 or more on the student—89th percentile
Spent under $600 on the student—86th percentile

The extent of government regulation on homeschoolers did not affect the results.

Low state regulation—87th percentile
Medium state regulation—88th percentile
High state regulation—87th percentile

In a previous study of homeschooling (http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200410250.asp), reading scores were the same for white and minority students, while in math white students scored in the 82nd percentile, and minority students scored in the 77th percentile. By comparison, that math difference is around 30 percentile points in the public schools nationally, not 5.

What's the excuse for the flat playing field among homeschoolers and the drastically tilted one among the public schools?

Given high (and rising) unemployment rates among those with less education and among minorities -- i.e. people similar to those featured in Waiting for Superman -- you have to wonder why homeschooling and tiny co-op educational arrangements are not more common in poor urban neighborhoods. In Detroit we have communal urban agriculture, which has gotten a little bit of press. Communal urban co-op tutoring and homeschooling would seem to be a logical thing to attempt. Where a few shared vegetable plots have been noted to reduce crime, introduce neighbors, and generally improve morale, I would think that sharing in the education of a neighborhood's children would be even better at building cohesion. And they'd be virtually certain to do a better job than the failing schools in inner cities.

Not so much waiting for Bill Gates in a Superman costume, as waiting for Mom, Dad, and Grandma.

Mouse
9th April 2011, 01:36 AM
Families cannot be entrusted with the education of their children. If children were educated in real families, by real parents, and given even a half of the time that public indoctrination camps require, they would flourish into Hawkings and Planks (sp?) and their own geniuses. Schooling of children is failure to accept responsibility for child rearing. I am sorry, this is male as hell, but the society with the woman maintaining house and garden, budgeting for food and necessities, and teaching/rearing the children is the way that harmoniously works. If we could turn that around, I couldn't put a half of what my wife does in the hours in a day. I would be in a serious situation.

I don't think it's wrong for women to go out and have careers and be powerful apes. I think it's wrong that you cannot survive any more in this world without a two income family.....which gets us back on topic

If you are all working all the time to pay the mortgage/rent/food.......

Who else can you turn to?

Schools.

That's the whole setup right there. The kids get dumbed down more each generation. The handlers (teachers) are pretty hard placed to put a value on their service, yet we put them on pillars as if they are heroes? Who are these retards getting paid to send your children into netherland and you cannot stop them because you and your wife must work to afford subsistence? Yes indeed, more two income families that consist of teachers and cops and firemen and govt administrators. And there is always the need for both heads to work for MONEY. The grandparents rot in old folks homes because there is not the mother, woman or man to run the household while someone fights for fing digits? There is no Woman on board.

Where is the Woman? We really need her as we are in crisis.

Who...are you

The Pretender

cthulu
9th April 2011, 07:15 AM
if you send your kids to outside school (public or private), you relinquish all rights to your children

sunshine05
9th April 2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks. That's an interesting article. I've been homeschooling my 4th grader since January. Sometimes I feel like we aren't spending enough time on school stuff, yet we cover everything we need to. It really makes me wonder what he did all day at the government run daycare (that's what I call it now). In just a few short months, he is 75% through an entire math text book and he has mastered everything in it. He knows cursive writing, and he's good with it. Schools don't even bother to teach that anymore. He is finally picking up so many language arts things that he has never been introduced to. Isn't it sad that he didn't even know what a verb was when I started working with him? He didn't know what plural meant either. It is very troubling because he attended a "school of excellence" and was getting good grades.

Having said that, I'm trying to decide what to do for 5th grade. I have not been able to find other homeschoolers in my area and I feel like he is a little isolated. He does sports every week and he's taking a science class at a small school once/week but I still think that's not enough. Not sure. He wants to continue homeschooling but we are exploring private school options. I know one thing for sure. I will never again put his education into the hands of any school and assume they have it covered. I will always monitor what they are actually teaching because now I know what he should be learning and if they aren't doing it, I will.

Hatha Sunahara
11th April 2011, 08:11 PM
From my own experience in public schools, I concluded that they were 'mind prisons' that people sent their kids to because they thought their kids would get an education. The state set up these schools to give kids an 'immersion indoctrination' euphemistically called 'socialization', and to provide docile, willing workers for the corporations, who at the time I was going to school had plenty of jobs for successful mind slaves who graduated from the public schools. I noticed too, that the object of studying was to be able to pass a test, and not to actually learn something other than how to pass a test. Somehow I had the idea that I was going to school to learn something, so I read books. Lots of them. I taught myself what I wanted to know, and I put up with the 'knowledge retention' demands of the school as a necessary evil to get accreditation--a diploma, so I could go on to college. But I learned nothing useful from what the school taught me. For example they did not ever teach me who really runs the world. I was supposed to believe that the political hierarchy was what really drives everything. There were never any discussions of how rich people get their way. Never discussion about how to deal with bullies. Never any discussions about morality. Nothing about secret societies. Nothing about how money is created. What was most representative of my own education is how much time I wasted trying to meet the accreditation requirements, which took away from my own efforts to educate myself.

Would I wish that on my own kids? Absolutely not. One of them was spared this education hassle by being autistic. With the other one, when he entered high school, I had this conversation with him about how the whole thing was a sham, and nothing was as it appeared. When he was fourteen, my son understood that he was being groomed to be a corporate slave by the school system, and the only way to escape it was to teach himself what was useful. He had already been doing that since he was six when I bought him a computer. He taught himself how to use it. I showed him how to waste as little time as possible meeting the accreditation requirements, so he could have more time to develop himself in far more important ways. He had a few good teachers, and he learned from them, but mostly he taught himself, and he still does. He is self-sufficient. This is what I consider 'home schooling'. Get your eduction at home. Go beyond what they teach you in school. Waaaaay beyond. And don't fall into the 'conform and obey' trap, and the 'respect for authority' trap.

Waiting For Superman does what the schools do. It indoctrinates us with the belief that teachers unions are responsible for the ineffectiveness of schools. That's a dead giveaway that the producers of the film are useful tools of TPTB, who don't want to pay for anybody's labor, and want everybody to be a total slave--and the unions are their mortal enemies.

We don't need public schools beyond what it takes to get kids to read, write, and do arithmetic. They will get a much better education in the absence of schools beyond that. Even the dumb ones. And they will get it from their families and friends.

Hatha

Twisted Titan
11th April 2011, 10:16 PM
Good info on waiting for superman ....i never thought about it that way.

T

Book
11th April 2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.dvdcorral.com/dvd/images/max/786936788549.jpg

http://education.more4kids.info/UserFiles/Image/internet-home-schooling-family.jpg

I have always wondered why teevee and the internet DON'T offer a complete education in Science and Math worldwide for free to home schoolers. Bill Gates could toss a billion at it and make it happen tomorrow worldwide. No marketing. No commercials. No corporations. No bullshit.

:dunno

Twisted Titan
11th April 2011, 10:36 PM
Bill Gates could toss a billion at it and make it happen tomorrow worldwide. No marketing. No commercials. No corporations. No Bullshit.

Bill has got other plans for the wee ones........

JDRock
12th April 2011, 08:57 AM
One woman can raise TEN kids, but when she gets old ten kids can't take care of ONE mother.

I have already instructed my sons, that in NO WAY...EVER , will they let the care of their mother go to the state or some @#$%! hole nursing home.