PDA

View Full Version : Japan to raise Fukushima crisis level to worst (going from 5 to 7)

MNeagle
11th April 2011, 06:31 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere yet or not: (vid also at link)

Japan to raise Fukushima crisis level to worst

The Japanese government's nuclear safety agency has decided to raise the crisis level of the Fukushima Daiichi power plant accident from 5 to 7, the worst on the international scale.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency made the decision on Monday. It says the damaged facilities have been releasing a massive amount of radioactive substances, which are posing a threat to human health and the environment over a wide area.

The agency used the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale, or INES, to gauge the level. The scale was designed by an international group of experts to indicate the significance of nuclear events with ratings of 0 to 7.

On March 18th, one week after the massive quake, the agency declared the Fukushima trouble a level 5 incident, the same as the accident at Three Mile Island in the United States in 1979.

Level 7 has formerly only been applied to the Chernobyl accident in the former Soviet Union in 1986 when hundreds of thousands of terabecquerels of radioactive iodine-131 were released into the air. One terabecquerel is one trillion becquerels.

The agency believes the cumulative amount from the Fukushima plant is less than that from Chernobyl.

Officials from the agency and the Nuclear Safety Commission will hold a news conference on Tuesday morning to explain the change of evaluation.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/12_05.html

Cobalt
11th April 2011, 07:56 PM
I still say Fuk Us Shamelessly needs a whole new scale all it's own

nunaem
11th April 2011, 09:35 PM
If they say it's a 7 it must be a 10.

Spectrism
14th April 2011, 08:03 AM
It was 7 in the first few days!!!

Now it is more likely in the range of 70. This mess is deadly and "millions will die". May sound like a joke, but I am dead serious about this. That they have not evacuated Tokyo or begun a relocation campaign is much like Tojo deciding to attack Pearl Harbor expecting it would all be ok. The sleeping giant they have awoken this time is worse than the forgiving US and worse than godzilla. They have an unrelenting force of nature that will not negotiate for peace, nor will it die and fade away into the sea without future effects.

gunDriller
14th April 2011, 01:43 PM
It was 7 in the first few days!!!

Now it is more likely in the range of 70. This mess is deadly and "millions will die". May sound like a joke, but I am dead serious about this. That they have not evacuated Tokyo or begun a relocation campaign is much like Tojo deciding to attack Pearl Harbor expecting it would all be ok. The sleeping giant they have awoken this time is worse than the forgiving US and worse than godzilla. They have an unrelenting force of nature that will not negotiate for peace, nor will it die and fade away into the sea without future effects.

that was how i felt.

in this case, though, we have how many millions of "canaries" in the form of Japanese people - plus the Internet ?

given how concerned i am about the radiation falling on the US - i'm thinking it really is a good idea to set up a garden area that is protected from rain, aka a Greenhouse - well, the Japanese and the Koreans have it a LOT worse.

whatever terrible-ness that we can imagine, they will live through it first and we will hear about it because of the Internet.

i would say, "i am surprised at how docile the Japanese are", what with their government basically doing radiation experiments on them, but ... the US government has done the same thing here in the US, over and over again.

of course, i'm surprised at how docile Americans are.

Pass the Fluoride !