PDA

View Full Version : Japan orders operator of damaged nuclear power plant to pay $12k to each househo

MNeagle
14th April 2011, 07:37 PM
Japan orders operator of damaged nuclear power plant to pay $12k to each household forced to evacuate - AP

Japan ministry orders nuke plant compensation

TOKYO — Japan's Trade Ministry says it has ordered the operator of the tsunami-damaged nuclear power plant embroiled in the country's worst-ever atomic crisis to pay about $12,000 to each household forced to evacuate because of radiation leaks.

Ministry spokesman Hiroaki Wada said Friday that the government ordered Tokyo Electric Power Co. to pay the compensation as soon as possible. Individuals forced to evacuate would get about $9,000.

He said the arrangement is a provisional one, with more compensation expected. Roughly 48,000 households living within about 19 miles (30 kilometers) of the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant would be eligible for the payments.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42600962

ArgenteumTelum
15th April 2011, 11:19 AM
Once again, an amazingly low figure for the loss of health (yet TBD), all earthly possessions and livelihoods. I'm just speechless...

Neuro
15th April 2011, 12:12 PM
I guess we'll never see Tokyo evacuated then...

lapis
15th April 2011, 12:21 PM
Probably not. After all, Tokyo real estate is a lot more expensive than Fukushima's.

Cobalt
15th April 2011, 09:20 PM
If someone told me they are going to give me $12,000 for losing my place I'd kick them in the nuts so hard they'd have 4 eyeballs

keehah
24th April 2011, 11:15 AM
Due to the low level of corporate liability, orders of magnitude below actual clean-up costs, any new expenses such as this will be paid by tax on said householders.