PDA

View Full Version : Fat Head

Hatha Sunahara
16th April 2011, 12:28 AM
This is a documentary movie made in 2009 by Tom Naughton. A response to Super Size Me. He says carbohydrates, not fats are what cause heart disease. He goes on a diet where he eats fast food at McDonalds and loses weight and lowers his cholesterol. He debunks a lot of conventional wisdom about how diet affects health. He claims that listening to the experts is what makes us sick. If you're here at GSUS, you'll love this movie. Here's a link to the comments section for Fat Head on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333994/usercomments

Pretty much everybody loved it as much as I did.

Hatha

ximmy
16th April 2011, 01:08 AM
Thought I should investigate... I'm listening to an interview now... very interesting... thanks for the info...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mQ6H_dnySQ&feature=related

ximmy
16th April 2011, 01:51 AM
k.. I listened to all six interviews...

He seems to be promoting the atkins type diet... nothing new here... ::)

He is having one burger per meal (THROWING THE BUNS AWAY...lol), when a decent sized average joe will eat two or thee small size McDonald's burgers just to get fed... ::)

He doesn't order soft drinks, that seem to cause weight gain... ::)

He is monitoring and regulating his caloric intake the whole time... (he is on a diet) ::)

I'm not convinced...

Antonio
16th April 2011, 03:43 AM
Considering all the chimicals in fast food, anyone eating it is not primarily a fat head but a shithead.
I like making chocolate butter from organic butter/ coconut oil,peanut butter,organic sugar and cocoa powder. I freeze it and eat big chunks of it like ice-cream, it`s nearly pure fat and I don`t feel I`m in any danger. My cholesterol has always been around 300 which makes me very happy, it`s a precursor to testosterone and other hormones and also our brains are about 30% cholesterol.
Geniuses have one thing in common, they all have genetically very high cholesterol. Low cholesterol diet makes one stupid with a limp dick, just the way TPTB want us to be.

steel_ag
16th April 2011, 05:48 AM
Antonio, what's the recipe?

I like making chocolate butter from organic butter/ coconut oil,peanut butter,organic sugar and cocoa powder. I freeze it and eat big chunks of it like ice-cream

Antonio
16th April 2011, 05:54 AM
Antonio, what's the recipe?

I like making chocolate butter from organic butter/ coconut oil,peanut butter,organic sugar and cocoa powder. I freeze it and eat big chunks of it like ice-cream

Good question, I always improvise when I make it. I`ll try to post the approximate recipe when I make it again, haven`t done it in a while. It tastes like chocolate ice cream but much less sweet. I eat chunks of it real fast so I get as much fat in me as I can.

Hatha Sunahara
16th April 2011, 09:57 AM
What I especially liked about this movie was that this guy made all the experts look like a bunch of mortgage whores. And he exposed how they threw away the data in their studies that did not support the predetermined outcome.

We see a lot of this corruption among scientific experts. And our government adopts these politically motivated 'facts' as the justification for their policies, providing proof that the government itself is no less corrupt than the experts. What comes to mind on this issue is global warming, and Al Gore. When I hear of government supported studies about anything, I do the exact opposite of what they recommend. Much safer that way.

I had high cholesterol for many years, and there was nothing I could do to get it down. Then I just started behaving, and eating with a complete disregard for my cholesterol levels, and my cholesterol level went way down. Today, I know that my body will have its cholesterol level where it is most healthy for me, and it is not anything I can control, or even wish to control. There is a Finnish guy named Uffe Ravnskov who wrote a book called Cholesterol is Good For You. I need to get a copy and read it.

Hatha

Hatha Sunahara
19th April 2011, 08:12 PM
Here's a link to Tom Naughton's FatHead web site:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2010/04/05/interview-dr-uffe-ravnskov/

This is an iconoclast--the kind of guy I like to cheer on.

Hatha

nunaem
26th April 2011, 10:01 AM
k.. I listened to all six interviews...

He seems to be promoting the atkins type diet... nothing new here... ::)

He is having one burger per meal (THROWING THE BUNS AWAY...lol), when a decent sized average joe will eat two or thee small size McDonald's burgers just to get fed... ::)

He doesn't order soft drinks, that seem to cause weight gain... ::)

He is monitoring and regulating his caloric intake the whole time... (he is on a diet) ::)

I'm not convinced...

Thanks for your rolling-eyed insight, professor ximmy. :oo-->

Besides being right on fats and carbs, Tom Naughton seems to have figured out the fed too. I found these earlier this year:
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2009/11/02/swine-selling-cereals/
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2011/01/25/fat-accounts-and-the-laws-of-fiscaldynamics/

nunaem
26th April 2011, 10:04 AM
Gary Taubes, one of the good Jews, has some good material on the subject as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIGV9VOOtew&playnext=1&list=PL9DB0E6D732961A9D

Large Sarge
26th April 2011, 10:12 AM
I think the best single supplement/food I have ever found is "fresh ground flax seed" (organic, non-GMO)

not expensive at all, 96 oz ( a gallon) costs $30, and that will last you months...

anyway its amazing stuff.

weight loss is rather simple

Calories Consumed plus Calories Burned(metabolism) = Weight loss (or weight gain)

Metabolism is controlled by the mitochondria....

Mitochondria love Flax Seed (the essential fatty acids), they need that around themselves in order to do their chemical functions....

nunaem
26th April 2011, 10:26 AM
Calories Consumed plus Calories Burned(metabolism) = Weight loss (or weight gain)

The problem is that calories consumed influences calories burned. Eating fewer calories makes you burn fewer calories, eating more makes you burn more. There is something else at work, insulin. Insulin is the hormone that decides to store calories as fat instead of burning them as energy. Carbohydrates cause spikes in insulin and therefore fat gain.

Large Sarge
26th April 2011, 10:34 AM

The problem is that calories consumed influences calories burned. Eating fewer calories makes you burn fewer calories, eating more makes you burn more. There is something else at work, insulin. Insulin is the hormone that decides to store calories as fat instead of burning them as energy. Carbohydrates cause spikes in insulin and therefore fat gain.

it all comes down to the mitochondria, and yes hormones play a role (insulin, testosterone, thyroid etc)

Mitochondria are the engines of the cell.

how much fuel does a 454 big block burn? (many mitochondria)

versus a 4 small 4 cylinder? (less mitochondria)

if you take care of your mitochondria, not only will you feel better, you will lose weight, and be healthier....

Energy production at its most basic level is "cellular", and cellular energy is the mitochondria

that is your metabolism right there my friends....

adding muscle, adds mitochondria.....

"big block 454"

Son-of-Liberty
26th April 2011, 03:45 PM
Good thread Hatha!

Yes, it is the excessive carb consumption that is probably the worst offender when it comes to western societies health problems. Chemicals in the food are up there too. Don't buy processed crap. Make meals from scratch.

lapis
26th April 2011, 07:36 PM
I have read Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories, and while it is good overall I don't think eating too many carbs necessarily causes weight gain, especially after seeing some of the recent research on healthy native peoples like the Kitavans whose diet is 69% carbohydrate (mainly from sweet potatoes), 21% fat (mostly from coconut) and 10% protein.

It appears that non-industrialized people eating whole food diets can eat a lot of carbohydrates and remain slim.

The main modern culprits are probably the white foods: white flour, white sugar, white salt and polyunsaturated and hydrogenated vegetable oils.

nunaem
26th April 2011, 09:21 PM
Different peoples react to foods differently. East Asians tend to be pretty starch tolerant and can handle starchy carbs better than others, just as northern Europeans can handle lactose better. Peoples who have had consistent diets for thousands of years are pretty well adapted to them... it's when there are drastic changes that there are anomalies like in the Taubes video.

Large Sarge
27th April 2011, 02:36 AM

mitochondrial disfunction causes insulin resistance

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/300/5622/1140.abstract

it really is about the mitochondria, the hortmones support the mitochondria.... not the other way around...

the mitochondria are the engines of the cell......

if your engine is not working right, does not matter if you eat "white flour", carbs, mcdonalds burgers, etc

nunaem
8th May 2011, 12:42 PM
Watch it free on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head

Hatha Sunahara
17th May 2011, 10:21 AM
I have read Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories, and while it is good overall I don't think eating too many carbs necessarily causes weight gain, especially after seeing some of the recent research on healthy native peoples like the Kitavans whose diet is 69% carbohydrate (mainly from sweet potatoes), 21% fat (mostly from coconut) and 10% protein.

It appears that non-industrialized people eating whole food diets can eat a lot of carbohydrates and remain slim.

The main modern culprits are probably the white foods: white flour, white sugar, white salt and polyunsaturated and hydrogenated vegetable oils.

I think you're right about whole foods. What makes you fat is an imbalance in the body. The body is not getting what it needs to be healthy. I think that balance can be restored by eating whole foods--particularly whole wheat products, brown rice, and molasses instead of sugar. There is actually a brown sugar called Demerarra that still has much of the molasses in it. If you shop at a supermarket, it's not easy to find whole foods. If it's in a package, chances are that it is not a whole food. I can't think of anything that comes from a fast food restaurant that could be considered a whole food. There is a peculiar logical twist to this. Foods that have been stripped of their nutritional content are not harmful by themselves, but if you eat them too often, you will become nutritionally compromised because they do not provide your body what it needs. Sugar is a good example of this twist. Sugar is not harmful in and of itself. But if you only eat white sugar, you will displace healthier calories you can eat, and eventually develop a nutritional deficiency. From what is NOT in the sugar. It's what's NOT there that will kill you.

Hatha

lapis
17th May 2011, 10:42 AM
I like palm sugar, which tastes like brown sugar mixed with caramel. It's rock-hard, though, so you have to grind it up before using it.

Here's a good site that has a lot of information on processed foods:

http://www.foodfacts.com

It lists the ingredients and amount of trans-fats per serving. I'm going to look here whenever I get a craving for a fast food cheeseburger. ;)

lapis
17th May 2011, 05:54 PM
Tom Naughton recently gave a talk on a Low Carb cruise. It's pretty funny up to the ten minute mark; I had to stop watching because YouTube seems really bogged down and it kept stopping to load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RXvBveht0&

Glass
18th May 2011, 01:08 AM
Tom Naughton recently gave a talk on a Low Carb cruise. It's pretty funny up to the ten minute mark; I had to stop watching because YouTube seems really bogged down and it kept stopping to load.

This is entertaining and informative. Lots of gags mixed in.

Neuro
18th May 2011, 02:01 AM

I agree with most you wrote, but I think it is important to recognize also to see that people are genetically adapted to eat food that exists in the area you are descended from. If your ancestors come from a tropical area with year round supply of fruits and vegetables, you would be genetically adapted to eat a high carb diet. While if you are an eskimoe, you are genetically adapted to eating a diet almost exclusively consisting of animal proteins and fat...

lapis
20th May 2011, 11:05 AM
I think you're right, and it makes me wonder what people of mixed races should eat, and if their bodies are "confused" in some way.