PDA

View Full Version : Wendy's Natural Cut Fries: Better Tasting, Yes. Natural, No

Down1
16th April 2011, 12:28 PM
So instead of going the more expensive Five Guys route of making their fries fresh and in-house, Wendy's settled for "natural cut." What this means is that inside the processing plant, the potatoes skip the step of getting steamed at such a high temperature that the skins burst off. Wendy's spuds go straight to the high tech cutters where they're sliced.
Then come the not-so-natural parts.
The fries are sprayed with sodium acid pyrophosphate, a chemical that prevents them from turning brown from two baths in frying oil -- one at the factory and the other at the store. They're also dusted with dextrose, a sugar derived from corn, for similar purposes. For comparison, Five Guy's fries don't need sodium acid pyrophosphate or dextrose because they're only fried once and aren't frozen.
And just like every other large fast food chain, Wendy's frying oil is dosed with dimethylpolysiloxane, a silicone-based chemical that helps keep the vegetable oil from getting foamy after countless rounds of frying. (Five Guys doesn't use dimethylpolysiloxane either because their peanut frying oil is more stable than the standard soybean and canola varieties.) Wendy's Natural Cut fries are also frozen like everybody else's, even though it's a big point of distinction for Wendy's that their hamburgers aren't.
Wendy's has also highlighted that it uses "100% Russet potatoes," but John Keeling of the National Potato Council says that this is not a selling point. "Virtually all processed French fries are Russets," he said in an email.
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112557/wendys-natural-cut-fries-bnet

ximmy
16th April 2011, 01:05 PM
soo... Five Guys is better???

it seems so... since they have a menu with Kosher hotdog (beat that Wendy's)

and... Obama endorsement... woo-hoo!!!

and... There are ONLY 5 calories in 1 serving of Five Guys Mt. Olive Fresh Kosher Dill Pickles

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31002348/
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/five-guys/mt-olive-fresh-kosher-dill-pickles

Down1
16th April 2011, 02:05 PM
Love fries, but hate Five Guys fries.
Disappointed in Wendy's.

Olmstein
16th April 2011, 02:17 PM
Wendy's new fries suck balls. Is it that hard to peel the potatoes? Potato skin tastes like dirt.

Bubble Fat
16th April 2011, 08:41 PM
Wendy's has slowly tanked since Dave met the Maker of all things good. He was QC up to the end.

Cobalt
16th April 2011, 09:04 PM
Anything with the word "natural" in it should not have chemicals in it with names that have more letters then Natural does :D

madfranks
16th April 2011, 09:16 PM
Wendy's has slowly tanked since Dave met the Maker of all things good. He was QC up to the end.

You're absolutely right about that. Wendy's used to be good, some of them had salad bars in them, but I don't think many of them do anymore.

Shami-Amourae
17th April 2011, 03:22 AM
Make your own fries, that's what I do.

The way I do it is I cut the fries by hand, then soak them in a 1 part/2 parts ratio of vinegar/water for about an hour or so. The vinegar adds flavor and dries out the potatoes the longer you leave them in the vinegar/water mixture. Feel free to modify my ratio or time based on how crispy you want them (what I'm mentioning is the perfect amount of crisp in my opinion.)

Next dry the cut potatoes on a towel and drop them into the fryer. I take them out of the fryer JUST when they start getting some color, this way the skin is dried out, but the interior is still moist. I put them on trays lined with parchment paper and stick them in the freezer. Once they are completely frozen they can be fried up just like any other french fries. Season them with salt and Old Bay Seasoning for an extra kick.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNNlxkxNcXfuaMwIgIrUi9rhi5UO7C3 n2sGfpRakWNNjW9z66t&t=1

You can do the same method as above for chips, but cut the potatoes on a Japanese mandolin to get them ultra thin, and fry them only once, not twice like you do the fries. These will make some of the best fries or chips you'll ever eat!

jimswift
18th April 2011, 12:41 PM
5 Guys is really good I think.

They have a dry erase board on the wall naming the farm and state where the potatoes for the fries came from.

willie pete
18th April 2011, 12:58 PM

You're absolutely right about that. Wendy's used to be good, some of them had salad bars in them, but I don't think many of them do anymore.

I remember those salad bars at Wendy's...they were great....I don't think any of them have salad bars anymore....and IMO; five guys isn't worth the $8.50 for a burger and fries :D